Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Stan Lee sneaks into Peter Parker's house every night and delivers a shiny new suit like a bespectacled Santa Claus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

The movie's not even out yet, and i already hate Lucy.

I'm pretty sure the very first line in the trailer is Morgan Freeman saying that Lucy is the first person to use more than 10% of her brain.

A good way to endear the audience to a protagonist is to have her shoot a man for the crime of Not Speaking English in the trailer.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Uh, this is a guy who specifically says, and I quote "They got my dick message!"

I really don't think him calling someone a bitch is far outside of his character. I don't know what his comic book persona is like, but Quill in movie form is clearly someone who never really grew up all the way.

This is exactly why it works. Character development isn't just an instant transformation into a different person. Peter's efforts are towards being a better person and a hero, and even when saving an entire planet at the end of the film, he's still kind of an immature jackass because change happens slowly. He's getting there, they're all getting there, but no one's perfect.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Slim Killington posted:

No, that's why the "dick message" line works. The last one occurs at too important of a plot point and ruins both. The addition of that part neither improves the moment, sharpens the dialogue, or adds to character development -- you can remove it entirely and not only not have the climatic moment changed, but be intact with more focus on it without the addition of something silly to it. There's no case in which removing that doesn't improve the scene.

I don't think it harmed the scene at all. It works (to me) in the context of Peter being so jazzed up on finally beating the bad guy that he just says the first cool-sounding thing that comes to mind, and because he's still kind of a jackass, that's what it is. He's a better person than he was at the beginning of the film, but he's still kind of an idiot because he's not done growing.

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Scientist: "We need to stabilize the field or risk a massive thermo breach."

Soldier: "In English, please" *smug look*

If what they say isn't complete gibberish, it's not hard to follow. It makes the scientist look alien and the soldier an rear end in a top hat. No one wins.

This is basically every other line of dialogue in that new Scorpion show, and it is unbearable.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

JebanyPedal posted:

In Lethal Weapon Danny Glover and Mel Gibson are both at the shooting range, Danny Glover is supposed to be the alright shot with Mel Gibson being the fantastic paragon of all shooting. Except Danny Glover doesn't flinch or blink when he shoots and Mel Gibson seems to spaz and shut his eyes with every shot, it's retarded.

Murtaugh is lying about his skills in an attempt to make his mentally unstable partner feel better.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Wasn't the Event Horizon's engine like a super weird thing that everyone but Sam Neil thought was hosed up? It's been a while since I've seen it, but I swear there was a scene in the engine room where someone was like "What the gently caress is that thing?"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I was hoping one of them would have a normal name, "This is Cherno Alpha a brutal war machine, this is the great Crimson Typhoon, and this is Jeremy"

Jeremy got taken out in the prequel comic

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ryan Reynolds has never made a good movie.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I love DS9 because they explicitly say that the holosuites are used for disgusting sexual fantasies.

Quark would not own and operate any business that didn't involve disgusting sexual fantasies. Look at that dude.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Assassin's Creed: the main assassin + one other had names. The characterization was so poor that you literally have to say "the young guy," or "the Asian one."

So, it's true to the games, at least!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Winston has no control over the bounty, so even if he lifted the excommunication tons of assassins with more ambition than sense would be after John. Plus, the spooky High Council is pissed at John, so presumably they could make things a lot worse for Winston if he did that, marker or no marker. Santino tried to push Winston around and failed, but if the actual Council came down on him, we don't know what would've happened. So turning in that marker and asking Winston to make it all go away probably would've only bought John a few days of hotel service while being shot at.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Antman and the Wasp is a okay movie but one thing kept bugging me about the central conflict. So, the villian is like "I want to use your big machine to find Janet" and the heroes are like "We want to use the big machine to find Janet" and the villain goes "I'll kill you!" and the movie moves on. They both want the same thing, and at the end, they both get what they want because it was the same thing the whole time. The only one who seems to notice this is Lawrence Fishburn, because he has like two scenes where he's like "Wait, we're all running around doing the same thing" but Ghost always interrupts him before he can fully put it together. It ends up with Walton Goggins feeling like the real villain because his desires are directly opposed to those of the heroes. I think he even has more lines than Ghost.

Also the end stinger was dumb. Does the dude in charge of Marvel's film division really hate The Wasp or something? Because she's appeared in two movies and died three times.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Ant Man/Wasp The main conflict is: Main guys, "we want to find Janet." Bad guys, "We want to find Janet and suck her life force to heal Ghost, don't care if it kills her." Good guys: "We can maybe do it without killing her." Bad guys: "I don't give a gently caress, it's my money and I need it now!"

But in either case, they needed to use the same machine to do the same thing: find and retrieve Janet. The life-sucking machine is never explained or really pointed out. They just take the stabilization chamber and quickly say "By the way, this is a vampire box now" to create peril for three seconds before the heroes disable it. When it started killing Janet before they even got back to the real world, I was super confused because nothing indicated Ghost could do that until she did. The plot would work better if they were working together until Ghost turns on them at the very end. It would also allow them to give exposition about Ghost in a more organic way than having Lawrence Fishburn sit everyone down and explain her to them.

Then again, I only kinda remember the bad guy from Antman 1 so maybe Pym and the crew just have bad luck getting interesting baddies.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Watching Batman & Robin with friends is a better movie-watching experience than any of the Nolan Bat-flicks.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

You’re gonna hate John wick 3

Or love it Idk

John Wick 3 completely justifies it in the story, though.

Those dudes are literal ninjas

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They didn't have penises in Rome?

Romans thought big dicks were bad and undesirable.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

In a shocking turn of events, a comic book property based around the concept of "what if superheroes were daaaaaark" turns out to be dogshit. If only we could have seen this coming based on the last 30 years of comics media. Oh well.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Rewatching Endgame, and the scene where Cap weilds Mjolinir is still perfect. However...the first time he throws his shield at Thanos, and then throws his hammer at the shield, can someone explain how the gently caress that shield ends up back in Steve's hand?

Uatu the Watcher picked it up and handed it to him between cuts.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

If you cannot relate to the primal human desire to do wrestling moves on a dinosaur, then Pacific Rim is not a movie I would recommend to you.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I just watched Snake Eyes and my irrational moment of irritation is that Gary Sinise never got to play a Terminator.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ridley Scott wasted all our time by making two movies about a rape-y robot instead of answering what happens if a Xenomorph gets bit by a Werewolf.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Len posted:

Civil War wasn't technically an Avengers movie

:goonsay:

None of the Avengers movies are technically Avengers movies. They're Iron Man movies that feature a bunch of other people to suck him off.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

In the intro cutscene for Destiny 1, astronauts land on Mars for the first time before any of the sci-fi space magic poo poo happens, but one of them is still just carrying an assault rifle while they look at rocks and stuff.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

If y'all want superheroes using guns, I have some great news for you about the 1990's!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So, Chucky is a doll with the soul of a serial killer in it, right? Does that mean that Chucky is technically haunted? Could you exorcise Chucky?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

Well, the whole plot of the movies is him wanting to excorcise his soul out of the doll and into a new host.

It never occurred to me before, but I guess transferring a soul really is just a kind of targeted exorcism.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The most irritating thing about Star Wars is that every thread on this website devolves into goons talking in circles about how much they hate Star Wars every 20 pages.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Disney execs shaking in their boots because nerds who pay to see their films immediately go home and start parroting lukewarm takes they got from an RLM video while they wait to pay to see the next Disney film.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

If Supernatural had stopped after season 5 we wouldn't have had Scoobynatural.

Scoobynatural sucks because of that scene where they explain that ghosts and goblins are real and the gang reacts with shock and horror. Except the gang already learned that the paranormal was real in Scooby Doo on Zombie Island! They didn't need some Johnny-Come-Lately CW dweebs to tell them that!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I don't get why the Power Rangers reboot movie used a goofy and cheesy script that's fairly appropriate for the franchise and then wasted a bunch of money trying to make all the technology look modern and badass.

I still don't understand why that movie, which seemed perfectly happy falling into the cornball niche of the old show, decided it needed a "leaked nudes as revenge" subplot in the third act.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The exception being in Blade: Trinity where Snipes refused to open his eyes during a scene where he was lying on a hospital table, and they just CG-eyed some eyes on.

Given the script of Blade: Trinity, I can't really begrudge Snipes for not giving a poo poo about that movie.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

My favorite part about Blade: Trinity is that since Snipes was so uncooperative that awkward silences & Snipes not saying lines allowed Ryan Reynolds to riff his way into our public consciousness.

I changed my mind: Wesley Snipes is a bastard and my enemy.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

TontoCorazon posted:

Why didn't he just slash the elevator cables?
T800 can't do poo poo if they're all falling in 3 thousand pound metal box.

Wasn't the asylum only like two floors?

Funny thing about that scene, Linda Hamilton actually did sustain permanent hearing damage while shooting that scene. I vaguely remember reading that they used the wrong kind of blanks in the prop gun for one take, but don't quote me on that.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Terminator time travel is just a series of big orbs containing nude men. What's there to be confused about?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Firefly's villains mostly fit into a solid theme of the shady underdogs vs the greedy establishment, and the Reavers hosed all that up by just being useless space-orcs. At least they killed Wash and allowed Alan Tudyk to distance himself from Whedon.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

Tudyk kept working with Whedon at least up through the second season of Dollhouse, like five years after Serenity. And uh even if they hadn't killed Wash how would that have had any bearing on Tudyk and Whedon's relationship, the show had already been canceled for two years at that point?

In my defense, I forgot that Dollhouse existed just like 90% of all people.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The T1 Terminator was a bad guy so he smelled bad. The T2 one was a good guy so he smelled fine. This is classic narrative structure, as seen when Homer described Odysseus as "a whiff of that good smell" but referred to Scylla "the big stanky-rear end squid".

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I only saw a few episodes of that Gundam show where everyone hits each other in the face. The show is 50 episodes long and they crack that number by both the hero and rival having loads of girlfriends who get killed in the crossfire to drive up the angst.

Please be more specific, this could be 3 or 4 different Gundams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

That '70s Show ran for 8 seasons even though season 1 was set in 1976 and the final episode was January 1st, 1980.

You missed the episode where Red made a pact with that time wizard. It's in season 3 I think.