Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aerobot posted:

Apparently horror films expect me to believe that all it takes to frame someone for murder in modern times is to get their fingerprints on the murder weapon and add a dash some other circumstancial evidence, and voila! Instant jailtime!

Nevermind that simply looking at the sequence of events, the bodies, and the crime scene would make it extremely obvious that at least one other person was responsible. Heck, most of the time simple forensics or goddamn common sense would prove that they were innocent. Sure, they might still get committed to a mental hospital for saying that a monster did it, but they won't be blamed for the crime.

Oh, and the mayor who shoots down the protagonist's protests is clearly an Evil Capitalist Pig for daring to be concerned about the town's economy. Now, if the protagonist had proof, that's one thing, but if all they have is a few strange incidents then of course the mayor isn't going to do something drastic until they're sure. Especially since, as mayor, they will be held the most responsible, not the protagonist. Even if they're a corrupt rear end in a top hat who only cares about money doesn't mean that they don't have a point about not crippling an entire town on heresay.

You have a lot of specific complaints that you are directing at "horror films" here and it makes for a really confusing post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FuckenPunchOn posted:

Dark Knight Rises.

That stupid bit where all the cops march right up to the bad dudes and start a fight with them. Said bad dudes are armed to the teeth with every bad dude holding an assault rifle. They've even got a couple of armoured cars with big fuckoff guns on them. The cops have... a few glocks and crippling cases of malnutrition or some poo poo because they got stuck in the sewers like dumb idiots.

Why the gently caress are the bad dudes letting a bunch of cops march right up to fight them instead of just spraying right into the crowd, when even if they miss, they can't miss.

Even for that movie, It just sticks out as a loving retarded scene that nobody thought through properly.

Edit: wording

Also all of the cops have shaved and are wearing clean uniforms. They look like a bunch of boy scouts and not the dirty sewer rats they would have become.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I was more annoyed by Smaug deciding that the best way to hurt a bunch of dwarves and a hobbit was to go burn a town of men, leaving them behind to scurry away out of his grasp and not die in dragonfire (hint that might have been a better way to give agony to the "thieves" directly in front of you).
I mean, assuming they decide to just leave the goddamn mountain while you're gone, what hope is there of tracking them down dragon or not. They're all pretty small dudes, they could just escape into some hideyhole and you'll never see them again.
For such a supposedly intelligent life form the dude was either ineptly Scooby Doo chasing them or being worse than a James Bond villain. At least slowly lowering them into a pit of piranha or some poo poo is an act that actually might end up hurting them in theory. Hell usually even James Bond villains that do the whole "I'm not going to kill you, I'm going to leave you to watch me destroy this thing you love." usually make sure that a.) they are targeting something the hero actually does treasure and b.) the hero is at least in theory incapacitated or trapped or in a poor position to escape.
Like, I get that he's a dragon but he's also dealing with fantastical creatures, these specifically being ones he KNOWS are tiny beings good at digging and hiding. Later guys!

In the book it was more that Smaug assumed Bilbo was from Laketown because his riddle included the phrase "barrel rider" and thus he was scouring Bilbo's home, possibly with him in it but at least all of his friends and family would be there, right?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

There was that episode where Wesley was applying to Starfleet and there were all these super crazy and difficult tests and I'm like, really? Every single redshirt went through this crap? I don't think so.

I thought red shirts were like NCOs and such. Like, O'Brien made a point of the fact that he wasn't an officer, probably didn't go to the academy, right?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

In the fun little movie Go, Sarah Polley's character works in a supermarket. At the start of the film, an exhausted mother gets into a mild argument with her and Polley cops a real attitude towards her. The mother, exasparated, says,"You know I used to have your job", and Polley replies,"Yeah, look how that worked out for you. :rolleyes:"

This bit has always irritated me far more than it should. Everything about the way it is presented indicates this is supposed to be considered Polley's character delivering a super :iceburn: on the mother, when she's basically admitting that she's in a dead-end job and is likely to end up in a similar situation to the frazzled mother, who might even be trying to warn her.

It makes sense that a teenager wouldn't grasp the idea that they won't be young forever, but the presentation of it is just so weird and irritates me every time.

That movie is really underrated. It has a lot of stupid poo poo in it like what you just said but the scenes with the pyramid scheming Jane Krakow and William Fichtner vs. Scott Wolf and Jay Mohr are gold.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Paper Diamonds posted:

New Godzilla: it you cut out every scene where a monster roared toward the camera pointlessly the movie would be 20 minutes shorter. And you'd easily lose another 10 if you also took out the scenes where the camera comes around a corner or through a door to reveal that the entire other side of it missing in a huge crater.

I also hate fun.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lead Psychiatry posted:

The Emperor never gave a poo poo. That's why his fighters are stupidly designed sandwiched balls and his troops are armored up like toy packaging that just barely stop the arrows from Ewoks. He's a Sith Lord, runs the galaxy, and thinks everyone in it is his plaything to do as he pleases. He tried rebuilding the Death Star and instead of learning the lesson of protecting even those small meter wide ports that can fit torpedoes that run straight to the power core, he wanted it built bigger so entire ships could fly through to the power core and bask in the glory of watching the fireball begin. He's really not about using resources wisely.

If you're really concerned about what his military doctrine is, it's you're expendable. You don't need more detail than that. Also creepy geezer smile and cackle.

You go to star war with the army you have, not with the army you might want or wish.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If you look at Meiji-era Japan or Communist-controlled China you can see how religions and social institutions can vanish in less than a generation, it's really not that unbelievable that the Jedi could vanish in a similar span of time.

The USSR was not fond of religion but new Russia is apparently nuts for it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mister Nobody posted:

I'm not touching the other stuff, but them some bad math skills.

Lucas was the one responsible for the seemingly throw-away line about Indiana Jones' ex saying "I was a child" but then it turns out he really wrote her as a child in the timeline. Like 12 or something.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dr_Amazing posted:

You seriously don't see the humor in making Indiana Jones a pedophile?

*shakes bag of sand*

This pussy looks to be about 18 years old.

It belongs in a museum!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

christ there is no way i'm beating "bridge over the river kawaii"

Nope.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MrJacobs posted:

Well that's mildly disappointing if only for the sheer absurdity of it.

It would certainly attract a new demographic. That they couldn't get rid of. No matter how hard they tried.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

May Contain Nuts posted:

Sidenote: Why the hell does everyone paint their fighters white or light gray? It's like they want the enemy to see them. The only people doing it right are the Empire and that one stealth ship in Battlestar Galactica.

If you're in an atmosphere white and light gray are pretty good choices. Also light pink, but even in atmosphere your first level of detection is not going to be visual. I think that would be more true in space so really more of a stylistic thing. Not a space shooter scientist though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

I am also among the people who immediately hate the movie just based on its stupid, stupid premise. Then again they say you can't judge a book by its cover, so maybe it'll be great.

edit: Just watched the trailer and nope I'm wrong this looks terrible.

It looks real bad. But then Luc Besson.

But then, what has he done lately? I'm conflicted.

The trailer is bad and I feel bad for Morgan Freeman but I can't fault him for taking the money.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ThirdEmperor posted:

Nope, because people are picky about what causes their magic running corpses.

My major issue with World War Z was why these clearly well-organized military states cropping up around the globe never tried to reclaim any territory. There's only so many people in Isreal and it's mostly low-density outside the urban zones. With a large portion of the population clearly inside the walled off city, there couldn't be so many zombies in the surrounding region that simply killing them all with that fleet of copters wouldn't be viable.

And a hell of a lot safer than keeping everyone locked in a high-density, no-escape zone, just waiting for one idiot with a bite to get inside.

Sounds like some kind of hamfisted analogy.

I haven't seen it though and it looks like I probably never will.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Esroc posted:

The Wildings specifically mention in one episode that they will go around The Wall if they can't fight their way through the Night's Watch. Though I can't imagine why laying siege to Castle Black is easier than just going around in the first place. Maybe they don't have the materials and tools to build enough boats.

Yeah but the better answer is they just haven't tried yet/the plot of the show and books doesn't seem to be going in that direction yet.

Also the wall is magical (how else could it be so preposterously old/high and made of ice?) and the magic specifically prevents them from crossing that boundary.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Eclipse12 posted:

Well, the Wildlings have upwards of 100,000 people. Imagine moving a group that size from Iowa to California and then trying to build thousands of boats (with almost no experience in the area) and sail very dangerous, rocky waters. Then when you land it's another 1000+ miles to get back into any kind of civilization. One of the books said that the army barely moved 5 miles per day, so that trip would take years. The wall almost seems easy in comparison.

Plus, "winter is coming." They don't have much time to spare.

Sorry I missed "the wildlings" in the first post and was referring to the white walkers. I think they literally can't cross the wall because magic.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

Two (well, maybe two-and-a-half) things from WALL-E that I know shouldn't bug me, but God save me, they do:

The movie's plot is set in motion when the titular robot finds a viable plant. Inside a rusted-out fridge that he has to weld open to get at. It's been a while since I've been in school, but I think I remember that plants need sunlight to survive. So how the bloody hell does the plant survive long enough to be discovered?

Also, the 'buildings' WALL-E creates out of trash bug the hell out of me. Why would anyone design/program the WALL-Es to build towers basically three times as tall as regular buildings in an environment that has frequent standstorms?

That robot was bored as hell. And the building in the face of the inevitable is a quality of humanity, which the machine was intended to reflect.

There are a couple of ways at looking at Ozymandias and he/it clearly chose the first reading.

No idea about the plant, it's been a long time since I've seen it. :shrug:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BioMe posted:

Do you mean the blood still looked blue even outside the body?

Your blood is never blue.

That whole thing about CO2 laden blood heading back to your heart being blue is a myth.

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=3964

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

Along with that, just because dread sorcerer Malice is a cool, badass bastion of evil, it doesn't mean that they have enough knowledge of anatomy to realize they shouldn't do that poo poo.

Pretty sure they have a&p courses at evil medical school.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

I have lots of fun every time I watch Live Free or Die Hard and it makes me sad that everyone else seems to hate it.

Die Hard 3 was so fun (I was a kid then) and then 4 comes along and my disbelief was not suspended like that loving helicopter he hits with a car. :colbert: (I pretty much liked it)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cage posted:

Thats in the future, though. Isnt it? In the movie its the present, and the only resistance fighter is Kyle Reese, no? Wolfie was probably barking because its two owners just got killed and are lying dead on the floor.

I think they meant the scene in old Mexico. With the huey on blocks and the underground weapons cache?

They already switched Arnie's soul from on to off. The only reason he can't cry at that point is because Skynet didn't install any tear ducts. :roboluv:

e: I meant from off to on, when they were at that gas station and unscrewed his skull and flipped a dip switch or w/e

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Aug 8, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wild T posted:

I always thought Blade Runner wanted to have a protagonist who was absolutely not a hero. Superficially he looks like a hero, shoots at bad guys like a hero, gets the girl like a hero and wins in the end like a hero. But each of those action movie characteristics end up ringing hollow with anything further than a superficial glance and you realize that Deckard is just a facsimile of a good guy, going through the motions because that's all he can do.

He didn't really win anything though. It was a lose/lose/lose situation at the end. The offworld replicants were sympathetic characters and one by one he kills them or they just die. Then you realize that he and Rachel both have a countdown timer to death and then you the viewer can ponder that for all intents and purposes, you have the same timer you just don't know when it's set to go off.

If there was a hero character it would probably be Roy Batty for going to great lengths to try to save his friends and being the bigger man at the end when he could have just let Rick drop.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kinmik posted:

I have to agree that Stan Lee does just fine in his cameos. I haven't watched Amazing Spider-man, but his scene was a fun bit of physical comedy, if this gif is anything to judge by.

It was a pretty fun moment in an okay film. I don't have a preference for him speaking or not speaking.

Keerist, Mallrats is almost 20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vJpAXf5wyk

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Irritating movie moment: Every bit of dialogue in every Kevin Smith movie because he can't write for characters, he can only have them spew huge diatribes that sound like things only Kevin Smith would say.

That clip though, is Stan Lee admitting that he just spewed a bunch of ridiculous poo poo, at the end. Maybe they had a talk.

Agreed though that as an adult Kevin Smith's movies lose a lot of luster. His podcast ABC's of SNL where he interviews Jon Lovitz are well worth listening to, though. Lovitz is often irritating but also really sincere and Smith is just a drat good interviewer and knows when to shut up, which is most of the time.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Coffee And Pie posted:

The demon in Paranormal Activity 3 is named loving Tobey. The one in Sinister is called Mr Boogie.

Everyone shout out all their favorite demon monster villain's secret names.

I've got "Pazuzu" from Exorcist and "Linoge" from Storm of the Century.

e: it was "Linoge" because his name was "Legion" solved by scrabble blocks in perfect Stephen King logic.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Captain Howdy :colbert:

Look, you have to have the true name to defeat the monster. That is how these things work.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Elendil004 posted:

In Miami Vice, the side lights on the go-fast's are different colors. As in, you see two boats in one shot from the port side, and one is red and one is green. So they had to take a boat, and do the work to swap the lights out just because...I have no idea...why?

To cause accidents apparently.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

And in the process damns her society to a torturous death as "herself" explodes from her body and smothers everything.

Then she stabs her sister in the heart.

Very much like gay people. Fabulous ice princesses all.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sulphix posted:

Very angry :words: about The Butterfly Effect.

Kids who have emotional problems are often advised to journal as a coping mechanism by counselors/therapists.

And it's kind of a nice counterpoint to Groundhog Day*. Sometimes there isn't a good answer to a problem. It was kind of heroic for him to figure out that he couldn't fix everything and needed to bow out.

How did you feel about the tacked on ending to Edge of Tomorrow. I liked the whole movie except for that last bit of glib schlock ffffffff

*although Groundhog Day also pointed out that Phil couldn't fix everything, specifically the old guy living on the street who died every day no matter what

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Wait a second, the ending you're talking about is the alternate uncut ending. Why did you watch the alternate ending instead of the normal one? Not saying the normal ending is any better (he just goes as far back as he can and undoes his friendship with the girl so that nobody in the story ever meets him) but the alternate one is one of like four or five they made.

edit: Looking it up, it seems that ending comes standard on the uncut DVD/re-release and the ending I talked about was only in the theatrical version. Weird.

The DVD I had had it as an alt. With the shot where he walks by homegirl all dressed up to the 9s (both of them) and turns his head a little and keeps on keeping on.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aggressive pricing posted:

So he doesn't stop her creepy dad from making kiddie porn? It's been ages since I've seen it, but I think that was one of the few good things he managed to do.

Clearly Ashton was the catalyst for the Robin Hood: Prince of Basements scene.

Remove him from the equation and drunk daddy doesn't make child porn of his daughter or hit his son.

e: :doh:

CJacobs posted:

The whole reason Ashton Kutcher's character meets the girl is because she chose to live with her father after her parents divorced, which was in part thanks to Ashton Kutcher because they became friends. At the end of the movie he goes back to prevent them from becoming friends by threatening her, so she chooses to live with her mom instead and thus doesn't get diddled in the first place.

All wrapped up in a neat little package.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

You're right, bad movies should be ignored instead.

I wish time travel as a concept wasn't so interesting to people so that moviemakers wouldn't make films about it. That's my irrationally irritating movie thing: Movies featuring time travel are made.

I am going to watch 12 Monkeys tonight just to spite you.

That's pretty much all I've got. I like T2 but that whole franchise is a can of worms.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

I feel like The Captain works well as part of The Avengers, but his own films feel like toothless spy films. Still enjoyable though. I think the first Bane fight in TDKR is excellent regardless of the thread. Every punch is measured out in pure hatred rather than being fast and furious.

Agreed.

quote:

Speaking of poo poo Nolan fights though, the fight with The Joker at the end of TDK is so dumb. For some reason Batman leaves the sonar lenses on even when he doesn't need them which is what lets The Joker blindside him. Even so Batman should have gone through him like a runaway train. If it'd been any one else he would have beat them into puddle of ultraviolence.

I dunno. I'm a fan of the theory that the reason Joker's face is scarred and why he's so drat good with weapons and planning is that he's ex special forces and got cut in Afghanistan or some poo poo. Maybe that wouldn't put him on bats' level but it would mean he could put up a decent fight.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

I've heard that theory too and it is a plausible one. I don't like any of those theories that try to give The Joker backstory though. He works best as an absolute in the Nolan films. I think in this case humanising the villain detracts from the character rather than adds to it. He's an unstoppable chaotic force, the more human he is the harder that is to believe. Humans have to do poos, have mini-heart attacks when they miss a step in the dark, flub their words etc.

Also Batman beat the heck out of plenty of ninjas from The League of Shadows and Bane's super mercenaries all of whom should be better fighters than a typical soldier.

I am also glad that they didn't feel the need (have the time?) to do backstory and just let it be jokes instead.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

He also shows NO FEAR and comes across as kind of a sociopath.

Yeah. It was their culture and he was the king turd of poo poo mountain but yeah.

Best believe Smith has his thetans on lockdown like what. Big Audit Style.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

made of bees posted:

Magneto is Mutant Malcolm X to Professor X's Mutant MLK and was created at a time when most white people thought Malcolm X was Black Hitler.

That's a good analogy.

Senator Kelly is Patty Hearst.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Phone Booth was the last movie to get it right.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

IIRC, maybe that tool xenomrph will come in and set it straight, but in the original screenplay/novelization, it went through the kitchen and noshed on everything.

They are bugs. They will definitely get in your cupboards and eat your cereal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HairyManling posted:

I remember reading in one of the comics or novellas or something that the alien ate a combination of organic and inorganic matter. Like it could gnaw on the side of the ship or a bulkhead or whatever for sustenance. I have no idea if those sources are canon, but it seemed like a reasonable explanation when I was 14. I think they also addressed the accelerated growth thing too. I can't remember what the explanation was though. What Alien needed was a musical montage showing the little guy eating and exercising as it bulked up to kill the crew.

One thing that has always bugged me about the movies (the first two at least) is why send a crew of what are basically truck drivers or marines to ferry the alien back to their research facilities? It was sort of addressed in Aliens with the getting it through quarantine thing, but wouldn't it have made much more sense to send out a team equipped to capture and contain a hostile creature? I guess then we wouldn't have the movies the way they are, with a bunch of ill-equipped idiots getting murdered by a monster, but it has always irritated me that the basic premise has some built in flaws.

Please don't try to mash Jurassic Park 2 into Aliens.