Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was more annoyed by Smaug deciding that the best way to hurt a bunch of dwarves and a hobbit was to go burn a town of men, leaving them behind to scurry away out of his grasp and not die in dragonfire (hint that might have been a better way to give agony to the "thieves" directly in front of you).
I mean, assuming they decide to just leave the goddamn mountain while you're gone, what hope is there of tracking them down dragon or not. They're all pretty small dudes, they could just escape into some hideyhole and you'll never see them again.
For such a supposedly intelligent life form the dude was either ineptly Scooby Doo chasing them or being worse than a James Bond villain. At least slowly lowering them into a pit of piranha or some poo poo is an act that actually might end up hurting them in theory. Hell usually even James Bond villains that do the whole "I'm not going to kill you, I'm going to leave you to watch me destroy this thing you love." usually make sure that a.) they are targeting something the hero actually does treasure and b.) the hero is at least in theory incapacitated or trapped or in a poor position to escape.
Like, I get that he's a dragon but he's also dealing with fantastical creatures, these specifically being ones he KNOWS are tiny beings good at digging and hiding. Later guys!

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 22:44 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So in the most recent Star Trek movie why is Khan running away from Spock at the end? The only people who know he's the wanted criminal are the crew of the Enterprise, I mean, everyone else is fleeing in chaotic terror. Earlier in the film, I thought Khan was basically established as Star Trek's Captain America, I mean it didn't look like a team of three including Spock had any chance of beating him in combat when they showed up on that Klingon outpost or whatever. I guess Spock was animated by :ssj: rage or something, but you'd think Khan would just turn around and whoop his rear end and then make his getaway. They'd just established Khan as such a powerful badass earlier that I figured he could easily take out Spock.
At first I thought maybe Khan was running off to the videogame platforming stage because Spock had a phaser and Khan wanted an opportunity to disarm him, but later on you see Uhura giving him a bunch of phaser blasts to the chest and he's handling it more or less. At least to the point where I'm pretty sure he could've turned around and handled Spock armed with a phaser. I'm not sure what Khan was running from. Is it that he thought they'd manage to beam him up if he stopped to fight and so he needs to stop to fight on a moving platform instead?
Either way it was pretty fun, I was imagining the Sega Genesis game they would've made of the movie back in the day and the really annoying final Khan fight stage that I'd eventually slam my controller down and stop playing because I kept loving up the jump.

As someone not really familiar with Star Trek watching the film, I was also tickled by the fact that their modus operandi seems to be sending their most important officers and top chains of command on dangerous combat missions. I mean it makes sense from a narrative standpoint since we want to see the main characters doing poo poo, but it's pretty hilarious when you think about it. SEND THE CAPTAIN AND HIS FIRST OFFICER DOWN. The ship looked like it had a crew of hundreds, I know the Federation or whatever isn't supposed to be militaristic but don't they have people specializing in combat on each ship that they can send down? :v:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The one part of Sin City that always annoys me a lil when I run through it is Little Kid Nancy's tearful thankful dialogue with Hartigan when he's in the hospital. "Still a virgin, thanks to you!" what kind of little kid says that, it's just stilted awkward dumb Frank Miller talk. :v:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dr Scoofles posted:

In my old job we had to have knife defence training and a part of that was some guy coming at you with a rubber knife and we had to either get away or wrap their arm up. Of course it felt like make believe and nobody put any real effort in, until they bought out this chunky looking training knife that delivered electric shocks. People were genuinely desperate to do whatever it took not to get within an inch of that thing, even when the instructor was just standing there and he wiggled it about playfully people stepped back. That's got to be a great way to get a realistic performance out of your actors.

Also, one of the worst offenders for unforgivably lovely looking CGI blades and blood is Kitano's Zatoichi. Skip to 1:42 to see a typical example. It just looks terrible and takes me out of every fight scene as I marvel at just how cartoony and dumb it looks. Then again, this film ends with a dance number so I guess I can't complain too hard about goofy poo poo in a samurai film.
Yeah, I really do like Kitano's Zatoichi, there are plenty of badass scenes worth it even with the CGI blood, but it definitely was the film that immediately came to my mind when everyone started discussing blood effects. It's kind of cinematically memorable how lousy the cartoony blood flying around is.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pneub posted:

Eh, dogs are stupid. They will or won't freak out and bark at any given thing.

look at the this loving dog bigot right here! :mradog:

p.s. I hated all the loving old guys with dumb hats in Battleship.

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Aug 9, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snapchat A Titty posted:

fuckin guy /w access w / e

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Darth Freddy posted:

gently caress in Clint Eastwood's High Plains drifter he out right rapes some women for "being rude" to him. Of course like all women who want to be put in her place, she falls in love with him at the end.

It may not be right but before the 80s and even during the 80s women were not really seen as people in a lot of cinema, or real world. Go back and watch some of the older movies and you'll see a lot more of "women being put in their place."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7HYLPk-ra4

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This probably isn't so irrational so much since White House Down is pretty dumb, but once that limo chase on the White House lawn happened and President Sawyer was like "SEND IN THE TANK" I was just thinking "Wait...why not just send in...all the national guard? All out assault on the White House? The limo is right there, you could retrieve the President and fight off the guys chasing him and on the roof! They're shooting at him right there! Why just send in the one tank and then stop when it gets blown up? Do we only have one tank?!?!? :downs: You know the President is no longer a hostage, potentially, and is under attack. Are you afraid they kill the Cabinet? Is that really a priority when the President is right there?"

Also this is probably blasphemy to some people or irrational, but I never liked Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys at all. I dunno, it's just not there for me with his performance. I feel like there are people who rave about it, but whenever I watch him in the film I just roll my eyes. Just sort of tryhard and forced, corny, goofy/cartoonish in a bad way, and not really...natural (if you get what I'm trying to say). There are plenty of actors who have pulled off this sort of zany character but I don't really think he was a good fit. Especially when I think of all the perfect memorable mental patients in One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest, an unfair comparison to be sure. I don't really think he has the range for this sort of role. It's not like, Tyler Durden.

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Sep 6, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Celery Face posted:

Oh, that's nothing. My dad scared the poo poo out of my younger sister by showing her either that or Aliens when she was 6.

The stuff with the cat reminds me of the part in the Dawn Of The Dead remake when that girl gets a few people and nearly herself killed just so she can save a dog.
What really always adds insult to injury for me is that usually the animals/pets aren't in ANY danger or even close to as in danger as their human counterparts. Like, I don't think the zombies were gonna eat the dog...was that alien going to eat that cat? :o

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

theironjef posted:

Probably? Isn't one of the aliens in 3 born out of a dog?
I'm still betting a cat is in way less danger of alien attack than a lumbering noisy human.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

All I've heard about Sons of Anarchy is that it's Hamlet on motorcycles. If it's anything like other FX dramas I've tried (Rescue Me, The Bridge), it's conceptually cool but isn't quite executed well enough.
I've always gotten the same sort of vibe from FX stuff, and I can't really handle TV drama that isn't well executed (I had to stop watching the Walking Dead after season 1 just because all of the acting and writing was just soooo bad/mediocre, I can't imagine that's really changed very much). Which is why I'm kind of curious if The Shield falls into that "not quite" level of execution or if it's truly great, I still need to give it a try.

With Interstellar I was a bit irritated at the fact that the lady scientist is the one who succumbs most to sentimentality and THE POWER OF THE HEART. McConaughey's character gets sentimental and schmaltzy too, but for the most part he's the paragon of cold logic alongside the guy who gets blown up by Matt Damon. I mean, I'm not usually this kind of dude and it's probably irrational, but I was kinda like "For real?". I get that they're all under extreme pressure but the scene comes off kind of like McConaughey has to talk down this irrational sentimental woman and her rejection of logic. The fact that she was right didn't really change that. It's like the idea that Hillary Clinton wouldn't make a good president because she'd be, I don't know, blushing because Vlad Putin took his shirt off or something, or she's unable to be firm under pressure.

Also maybe the great perfect astronaut guy Matt Damon stubbornly trying to jam himself into an explosive decompression situation like it's a vending machine claw game, apparently unaware of the fact that "this ought to about do it!!!" is an extremely dangerous way to dock in outerspace. I mean, Hathaway scientist knew it was a bad idea but Matt Damon is just like "Shut up, shut up, I've almost got this!! Just JAM UP IN THERE, I'm sure this isn't dangerous!!!!"
I guess I'm more amused by the scene than angry at it though, it's excusable by saying they updated docking procedures since he's been gone and/or Matt Damon was just survival instinct/space crazy.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gordon Shumway posted:

The thing that irritates me most about Gladiator is the fact that Hollywood refuses to get the thumbs up/thumbs down thing right.
Well which is it in Gladiator and how is it supposed to work? Thumbs up means you DO want the guy to die and thumbs down means you don't? I think the Hollywood version is more...cinematic, if that's the case.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
And when someone asks you who else you've told about this, always say, "LIKE, A BUNCH OF PEOPLE!!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ubs6iUMdyo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
In Face Off, how come during the raid on the bald dude's place there's a SWAT guy who just appears sitting on one of their chairs and gets blasted away just chilling in that position :lol:

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 10:53 on Jan 24, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Uhhhhh I knew I wasn't going into the sharpest film with Non-Stop but :lol: at the bad guy's motive. I MUST PREVENT FUTURE TERRORIST ATTACKS BY COMMITTING A TERRORIST ATTACK. PLANES FULL OF INNOCENTS WILL DIE IF I DON'T KILL THIS PLANE FULL OF INNOCENTS. Like shiiiit, if you really think security is that flawed then why not just wait for the next actual terrorist attack you think is inevitable to just happen and expose the need for better security. I guess you could say he was just crazy, and there was the whole "I must expose the competence of this marshal!!!" but the whole reveal made me guffaw the instant it was revealed.

I like how the other guy was apparently just in it for the money, but apparently his crazy partner saw their deaths as inevitable (even though they're not really necessary for the plan to work?).

Wait now that I think about it, why the gently caress did the crazy guy even help Liam Neeson against the passengers in the first place?! Your goal is achieved, the plane is going to blow with everyone thinking Liam Neeson was responsible...and you had no need to further build credibility with him. It's not like you needed your hands untied for your suicide plan to succeed. Just let them overpower him without giving his story a second chance!

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 03:57 on Feb 7, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Please tell me you didn't just make that up.
I googled out of curiousity and uhhhhh :eyepop:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh of course but that wasn't the reference they were going for. If that was the case Batman could have just given Prometheus the skills of his gardner.
Yeah, Batman clearly thinks he's giving this dude Hawking's disorder...which is kinda hosed up :lol:

And I share in the general irritation at Bane getting chumped at the end there, having his purpose kind of completely diminished and then getting taken out with a snarky line. I'm glad none of the silly comic book venom luchador genius poo poo got ported over though, Nolan's grim "superhero realism" style or whatever can be tiring but I generally prefer it to straight up porting over some of this comic book stuff because it's just straight up goofball. Comic book Bane is too...well...cartoony.
Hardy's Bane was muscular and physically intimidating enough without having to go over the top and into bodybuilder range or whatever. I also just don't really like (although admittedly I'm not really into comics or superhero stuff or ever read any) those villains who all like "NOT ONLY AM I THE TOP GENIUS BUT I ALSO HAVE A SCHWARZENEGGER BODY"...it's just kind of meh to me. That's why I prefer a Luthor who isn't like, a super muscular kung-fu master or whatever (which is why I look forward to the upcoming Zuckerberg Luthor).

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Feb 20, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MindlessHavok posted:

To pile on to this, I would also think a guy like Daredevil would want to go when no one else was around. Showing him going to the church, finding out there's a ton of people there and going "welp I'll come back later" is boring awesome so they don't show it.
you're onto something here.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Aside from the HBO show Rome and Caligula have there ever really been any modern media depictions of Rome that illustrate how butt-loving insane (literally) Rome actually was?
That stuff always seems like bullshit to me anyway, like historians seem to continually be going "Yeaaaaaaah it was a suuuuper long time ago and it's totally possible all that stuff about that crazy Roman Emperor who hosed a goat and renamed Rome to 'my balls' actually happened...but it could also just be douchey propaganda from the people writing the historical account who disagreed with him politically or something".
I'd like a Julian the Apostate movie though. :)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
grownass man does not like comic book movies
goons react in shock and horror

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

This is one reason I'm really enjoying the Avengers movies and the Iron Man sequels - they're not dwelling on origin stories, and when they do happen such at the Vision's, they're the climax of the film not the start of it. It's one of the reasons why Guardians of the Galaxy was enjoyable too. Rocket and Groot in particular just... are, they don't need half an hour of exposition as to why.

I don't think most superheroes these days need more than an opening credits montage or a throwaway line to explain their origins. Superhero origins are ingrained enough into the culture of the people watching superhero movies that they're mostly just padding now.
That's kinda cheating tho, like of course the Iron Man seeeequels don't have origin stories, I imagine the Man of Steel sequels won't have Superman's origin story since they're sequels. Wasn't Iron Man 1 and basically every non-Avengers first-Marvel movie entirely origin stories? Thor, Captain America, etc. The only reason Avengers has none, other than it being a wise choice, is probably because they already made each single hero first film be a lame origin story movie.
I mean, the BvS trailers do indicate we're getting the Batman origin story yet again, but it looked highly stylized and Zack Snyder is good at trailers and credits and music videos (as opposed to actual full length films, and gaaaaag at Snyder haters saying "but 300 was kewl") so here's hoping it'll be a super short segment crammed in somewhere (ala the awesome Watchmen intro credits).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly all his trailers and intro credits are consistently awesome and better than the films they represent. Like The Dawn of the Dead intro/intro credits were more memorable than most of the film itself. Same with 300 and its trailer.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Nu-Kirk and Mutt Williams are cooler than Captain Kirk and Indiana Jones respectively
Give em a tv show

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

Look at this. Look at how wrong you are. Go think about where you went wrong in your life.

"Old Whip Man" got nothing on that
He'll cut you, man

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
To be fair, Tomb Raider is basically the second best Indiana Jones movie after Temple of Doom

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jedit posted:

To be fair, you're wrong about literally everything. I wouldn't trust you to be right if you told me your name.

I'M just not a fan of Nazis

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

Neither was Indy. Did you see the movies?
I'd rather not have any Nazi fetishism in my movies whether it's blonde Aryan seductresses or just getting off on fighting Nazis.
No Nazis in my movies, thank you. That's why I've never seen Schindler's List.
Is just personal preference.

edit: I'm taking a stand against Nazis right here right now. I just don't like Nazis, sorry. It's why the History Channel sucks man

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Jul 20, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I have a really irrational dislike of Nazis. It's the thread.

I'm boycotting nazis vvvvvvv

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Jul 20, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Why not Mussolini?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Also the Nazis were actually a threat.
Hey, Ethiopia felt pretty threatened, man

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

syscall girl posted:

even though Lucas and Spielberg had her getting hosed as a child off screen in Raiders.
Wait, what?! Nazis and pedophilia?!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I couldn't stand Law Abiding Citizen from the start given how full of the DEFENSE ATTORNEYS ARE LITERALLY DEMONS sort of Hollywood legal bullshit it was basically a living manifestation of.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gaunab posted:

I meant with advertising on TV and such. Sorry if that was unclear.
Yeah I'm irrationally annoyed by any movie ads that aren't just a pure trailer or tv spot, like audience leaving the theater impressions and night vision audiences and that poo poo, though for me the worst offender was...I think Zack and Mirri Make a Porno (or whatever that's called, either that or some other similarly lovely comedy) were some of the ads were just lovely little sketches completely disconnected from the film's universe, like if you were advertising an energy drink or a candy bar and not a movie. Just dudes in an office like "Oh man did you hear about this movie? It's supposed to be pretty crazy"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

jabby posted:

Hans exists to misdirect and subvert the usual Disney princess storyline. The whole twist at the end of the movie is that the 'true love' Anna needs to cure her doesn't come from some random handsome dude she met a few days ago, but from her sister. He's a pretty pivotal part of the film.

For my part, Spectre:

- At the start a building explodes, Bond runs for thirty seconds and ends up in a crowd of happy parade-goers. No way do people keep dancing and having a good time when a massive explosion just levelled a building a few streets away.
- When Bond is fighting the guy in the helicopter, he nudges the pilot and it goes out of control. But then there's like two minutes of him fighting without going near the pilot, and the copter just keeps on making wild swooping movements. Is the pilot trying to mess with them, or is he just terrible?
- At the end Bond shoots down a helicopter from a massive distance with his Walther PPK. A small calibre handgun that would be a) totally inaccurate at that distance and b) abogut as effective as a peashooter.

-Couldn't hear it over the paaaaaaaarty!
-Dude got KOed by a hard Bond nudge
-He's James Bond

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
sooooo what James Bond does

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Pretty sure Adam Baldwin is severely developmentally disabled so a lot of this is starting to seem cruel

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's about ethics in Adam Baldwin criticism, for me at least.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Pretty much only Frank Darabont is capable of adapting King.
Or like Kubrick or any great director
It's not like King writes some transcendent material, like I'm pretty sure Michael Haneke could handle it :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I honestly don't usually care or bother that there's a fan handout or out takes after the credits of a movie
Like yeah you'd better believe I'm right out the door man, there's always more important or fun things to do than sit in a movie theater watching credits roll. My high's definitely gone by then and I'd have to be high to see anything comic book related
And plus if I really want to see like, I don't know...Darkseid or whatever/whoever showing up to go "Hah-hah I'll be in the next movie!!" (and I don't) then I'd just catch it on YouTube
Who has five minutes to breathe in this world of infinite entertainment and woe? I probably just spent like X hours inert in a movie theater. I'm not waiting for "stingers"