  • Post
Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

More like Wayne Industries Metal Recycling branch. Then make more batarangs or a new batmobile or something.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

On the other hand, to someone glancing over the showing times board that name sounds dumb as all hell.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The last season of Breaking Bad too, though not exactly for the intended purpose.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Mythbusters tested that, actually, and not, it doesn't.

If the bomb stuff has a detonator, then as soon as the microwave turns on it'll spark the blasting cap and explode, but you wouldn't have time to get away.

Unless you have a fancy non-metallic non-electric blasting cap. Then I guess it depends on how hot the nuking makes it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Trent posted:

I hear you.

Peter Jackson has become George Lucas. It's sad. At least there is still the nearly perfect 1977 Hobbit to get high as gently caress and sing along to.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

So what's the correct way to brag about how much you masturbate?

Show off your cumvase/receptacle and point out how short of a time period it took to fill it up, duh.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I doubt he'd have been able to beat Batman in a fist fight even before he became wheelchair bound, though.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

The Iron Man villains were all massively mishandled. Jebediah Stone was actually okay (first film was also the best) but then Whiplash? Ehhhhh. The Mandarin? The reversal was cool but left us with no real villain.

Capitalism! The military-industrial complex!

I've posted about it before but the general plot of IM3 makes no sense (in the context of the wider Marvel Movie world). So this guy is setting up bombings around the world to make people all afraid of terrorism so the government will throw tons of money in contracts at him.

This is somewhat recently after straight up no bullshit Aliens invaded New York. Scratch your terrorism plan, walk up to the Pentagon saying "Hey I've got a halfway decent super soldier program with a few kinks to work out." and the DoD will hand the villain the biggest blank check in the history of the universe because holy poo poo ET just leveled half of Manhattan and we need more than one Captain America. The whole firebreathing thing is just a bonus.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I thought the bombings weren't so much set up as much as people with Extremis were already exploding and the bombing story was just to cover up Extremis's flaws, so that he could get the government contracts without them saying "woah, we don't want something that makes our soldiers blow up"?

My take on it was that the bombings were opportunistic cleanups of the people who had taken Extremis and couldn't handle it. Make them go boom in a way no one knows what the gently caress just happened, and make them blow up in places where it'll further the general cause. I was just assuming that the whole 'people turning into suitcase nukes' thing would be covered under the 'minor kinks to work out' aspect of it. Like, at least it's not making GBS threads out more Hulks that we can't loving deal with, these guys just explode once* and problem solved!

*Ideally, y'know, next to a pile of Skree or Loki or something we want to blow up.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

Calling it mini bosses is really spot on. It also didn't help that they had no back story or any other info about them.

Some writer got high and thought that the Twins from Breaking Bad were cool but not badass enough. Tada. The gently caress is backstory?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MrJacobs posted:

Dont do this, then you will wonder why the hell Hogwarts people never contacted the muggle military to help deal with Voldemort since he threatens the whole damned planet and you start going down a big rabbit hole of logical things and ruin Harry Potter's stupid universe. which isn't hard to do in the first place.

The minister of magic even talked to the PM of the UK. It should've been like a 5 minute call. "Yeah some magical wanker is back and stirring up poo poo, ring up the SAS and lend us a hand."

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I know! Skynet should have sent a bunch of intel (like a memory chip inside a flesh briefcase or something) back in time to itself!

To: Me
From: Me
Subject: Okay I know this is weird..

Read these files and learn when, where and why I lost the pivotal battles against the human resistance. Things kinda went bad, try to do better. BTW you build a time machine.

Skynet

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That's half of what I was getting at. In-universe, it's weird that they'd call attention to the drum in the event of the truck being pulled over (and trucks displaying DOT hazard placards get pulled over constantly) by using a pathetically incorrect label. In terms of the show, again, it's weird that they went out of their way to have the truck placard be 100% correct and the drum label be 100% incorrect.

Maybe they didn't go out of their way to get a correct truck and just called up an actual hazmat transport company and asked to use one of their trucks in a scene. Then loaded up their props dept supplied barrel and there you go. I mean, maybe some intern dug through DOT regs to come up with all the right placards and signs for the truck and then decided to look at some porn when it came to the barrel, but it could be more mundane than that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eh! Frank posted:

Maybe they use them to peep into other people's windows.

Frasier? There's at least one episode that's exactly about that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

For some reason whenever I hear the Scorpion and the Frog come up I think of KoTH's Tiger and Strawberry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45hM7iAkjk8

Oh the mangled retellings throughout the episode :allears:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Something about Avengers: AoU just didn't hook me nearly as much as the first. Maybe it's because I'm not in the know with the comic storylines, but Tony Stark creates Skynet just left me all :geno: James Spader did kill it in the role, though. All the characters were spouting off witty bits here and there and it really felt like any one of them could've said some of the lines without making a difference. In Avengers it at least felt suited to the characters, like with Cap's "I got that reference!" line. And Black Widow really, really wanted some big green weenie. It just felt hamfisted.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

In Age of Ultro,n did I completely misunderstand it when they were examining the gem from Loki's staff and said it contained an AI?

The whole 'sufficiently advanced technology will look like magic to those who don't know better' idea, I'm guessing. Its a magic staff that spreads doubt and discord, can mind control fools, and shoot laser beams and and.

But it actually has a big AI in it that makes that all happen? Or the infinity stone contained within is both a source of crazy power and has an AI stored in it because.

Oh wait, its the Mind Gem right? So its has a synthetic mind in it :v:

Guess I'll spoiler that but I don't know why.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah if anything the launch crews might think "Oh the aliens are back, time to gently caress em up" or "The Hulk finally lost it", they'd probably have no idea about the whole Ultron ordeal.

Along with the whole "Launching these is your job, the decision has been made by the people in charge, press the big red button." thing.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Avengers: Well someone has to fill in while the main crew fucks off to do another round of solo movies :v:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Do you know how to sedate an alien?

The straps thing is legit though.

For all they know maybe the sedative will start eating the alien's veins from the inside. Or function like super PCP. Or do absolutely nothing at all.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

yeah he just got shot. it felt like they were setting him up for a more elaborate death to me.

Like Max jamming the dude's big gout-ey foot onto the gas pedal and causing a huge explosion (IIRC) from the ensuing crash? It seemed like a suitably metal way to go.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Or maybe he was such a cheap bastard he didn't want to sign the death warrant for his entire dinosaur park without at least trying the IT crowd approach first.

The whole cheap bastard bit is backed up by other parts of the movie ala: Newmann stealing the eggs to sell for fat stacks o cash.

...which may not have been viable with this whole lysine thing. I wonder if he knew about that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The holes look to be a reasonable size for 00 buck, I'd say. Of course there aren't enough of them.

Typically slugs have a green shell, like in the picture Gorilla posted. The JP screenshot is dark so it's hard to tell buuut they look red. But it's a movie so they probably just grabbed whatever prop shotshells the armorer had, regardless.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Being a thing that is capable of destroying the world may have something to do with it being the last of its kind. Consequences!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It just drove home the point that he is a real pro and not a dude you gently caress with in any way.

If only that punk kid had known.

And it made for some slick flow and punch to the fight scenes. Throat punch, disarm, HEADSHOT. Next..

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

NorgLyle posted:

But why weren't the turrets manned for the Battle of Endor, damnit?

Lando scraped off the sensor dish inside the Death Star, maybe if guys had been manning the guns and swinging them around wildly they would've been smashed into something too, probably compromising hull/air integrity? Now, before they went inside is anyone's guess..

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought that was really funny. It was totally something that would exist in a park like that.

Yup. They paid Jimmy Fallon to do a half info half kid-friendly skit movie for some big attraction, I can totally see a theme park doing that.

Now, that money probably could have been more practically spent on an automatic recall/autopilot system for the gyroballs when, say, Godzilla v0.25 gets out and they hit the big red EVAC button. But celebrities!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It really annoyed me in the Animatrix when it shows the robots shrugging off nukes. I really doubt each and every little kill-bot is completely EMP proofed :colbert:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Jaeger's weigh 3000 tons (maybe less) meaning each helo needs to lift only 375 tons at the most.

Which is still fa(aaaaaaaaaaaaaa)r and away above the payload of a heavy lift chopper.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

If I was some blood borne tribal chief I would cut the buttocks and have people mush those babies together for unbreakable brotherhood.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The kind of idiot that can use mystical powers to block/deflect every shot coming his way, obviously.

Efb, dammit.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yes, apparently some of the giant mech robots are powered by gently caress off huge diesel engines.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh I know, it just feels too... I dunno, mundane for a huge robot. That's why it's irrational :v:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Orange is the new Black and Schrödinger's toilet stall door. I swear the bathroom stalls gain/lose that one door at the storyline's convenience.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Check your sound settings and see if there is an "apartment setting". My tv has one and it makes all the volume levels equal so no sudden spikes in volume.

Oh is there a setting that does that now? That's great, I might have to check that out, thanks.

Still these assholes should balance the volume levels of their poo poo before they shove it out the door. :mad:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TFA's political situation makes a little more sense when you remember that the Senate was only dissolved at the beginning of ANH. All the politicians were still alive and kicking, probably bored as poo poo, when the Republic was formed post-Jedi and were more than happy to get back to work and sit around fighting over the size of the Alderaan survivors relief fund and how it'll get disbursed for the next 30 years (or the same-old same-old bickering and wheeling and dealing that gets no-where) while the remnants form into the First Order and build a doom planet. It just goes to show how much more productive authoritarianism is :v:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

suuma posted:

After looking at some other SW stuff I guess every speeder in the SW universe just floats magically with the engine turned off but I guess it never bugged me until smoke sputters out of the engine in TFA.

The up-from-ground hover dealies are always on, whereas the go forwards/backwards motor isn't. Done.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Well from a physics pov the hover part wouldn't necessarily have to use energy if it was just keeping the speeder at a constant height. Like putting something on a table doesn't drain the table's batteries.

So there's a justification for not wanting to bring it up to the star destroyer - going uphill actually drains the hover battery, going level doesn't;

Personally I assumed the speeder was a little front heavy, having that huge blob out front that meant it would roll over backwards like any old tractor/4-wheeler/whathaveyou going up too steep an incline unless Rey was to back it up the hill, which would just take more time that hiking up there so fuckit let's walk :effort:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Movies with terrible sound design/balance and the trend for.. I'm not sure what to call them, aural or throbbing kinda sound tracks? The latest offender was Sicaro, the dialogue was super quiet while the tension building doomy soundtrack in other scenes was obnoxiously loud.

My fault for trying to watch it on an airplane but I couldn't hear people talk without turning the volume up enough for the scene changes and soundtrack to blow out my eardrums. Had to give up on it not even halfway through.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Judging a movie based on airplane audio, :wtc:

Sicario was amazing as a soundtrack, and the mixing was great.

Yeah I'll be the first to admit that the setup wasn't the greatest, free airline earbuds and a headphone jack I had to jiggle the connector into just right to get both channels included. BUT. On the same flight I also watched The Martian and Spectre just fine so I'm happy to level some grief at the movie itself, and this annoying fuckin trend in general.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4