Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

One particularly annoying bit about movie shootouts is that people usually take turns shooting at each other, as though in a turn-based gamed. Particularly noticeable when the director tries to mask it via closeups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr2GeWiDrdY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rurea posted:

So in The Matrix, why do the Agents have such lovely aim? They aren't even human! They are literally sentient computer programs so you would think as part of their programming they would have perfect aim with a firearm. The machines would never have to worry about red pills because Smith could just cap fuckers from 200 yards out.

I love the idea of Agents just being glorified aimbots and wall hackers.

Your Gay Uncle has a new favorite as of 15:35 on May 15, 2014

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this? posted:

A stupid thing about the end of the first Men in Black is how Will Smith has some new "stylish" version of the suit and sunglasses. Even though that defeats the whole purpose of both in the first place. They're supposed to be nondescript, not flashy. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this since they go right back to the plain versions for the sequels.

The blue memory eraser in the Statue Of Liberty in the secon MiB was also incredibly stupid. It would only work if every single New Yorker was looking at the Statue when it went off. What about the people facing away from it? Or the people in subways, inside their houses, sleeping, etc.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Whenever a robot or machine breaks and has its voice slow down. Watching I, Robot again recently has been driving me nuts with this.

Also Spooner's "you so have to die" line feels really flacid. Actually anytime there's a one liner and it doesn't quite work.

I always thought it was convenient that the I, Robots had an evil/good lighting system installed. If the robot wants to kill all humans, it glows red!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sailor Viy posted:

One Missed Call is the movie you're looking for;

or even closer is Stephen King's novel Cell where literally everyone turns into zombies if they answer their cellphone. Will probably be made into a movie sooner or later.

Eli Roth (Hostel) was attached to write and direct Cell adaption but I haven't heard anything about it in awhile. As long as they tweak the weird nonsensical Stephen King ending a Cell movie would be really good though.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is 17 years enough time for people to stop believing in a religion? The space admiral in the first movie says that no one believes in Vader's dead religion, but that guy was pretty old, he had to have been around when the Jedi were, or at least heard stories about Jedis. Jesus hasn't done anything in 2014 years and people still believe in him.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I guess it sort of makes sense if the Empire went whole hog into supressing any knowledge or remants of Jedi, but this guy was on a capitol ship with Darth Vader. He never saw him force choke someone during a teleconference or do any other space magic?

Were they also just going to kill any force sensitive kids that popped up, or were they going restart the Sith Academy or something?

Also why are there only two Sith, a Master and an Apprentice? Why would you apprentice someone you know is going to eventually kill you and take your place?

This is the smallest problem with the Phantom Menace but at Qui Gon Al Ghul's funeral they are all sitting like 4 feet away from a burning bodie. A fire has to be incredibly hot to reduce a body to ash but no one seems to even be sweating,not to mention the horrendous smell.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Father of the Child Bride

Aartek Into Darkness

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I stopped watching House after a few seasons, was it ever lupus?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignite Memories posted:

Michael Bay didn't bring back Megan Fox because she called him hitler in a magazine interview

Michael Bay didn't give a poo poo, it was Spielburg who got all pissed off about the nazi comment. He brought her back for new Ninja Turtles.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Shawshank Redemption:

How did Andy keep putting the poster back up over the tunnel entrance after he was inside of it?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

Star Trek first contact- What was the deal with the Borg Queen? Data is asking her all the questions the audience wants to know and she's all :smug: "Lol you dumb robot I am now going to seduce you into having robosex so you will help me take over the Enterprise."

Then later Picard is like how the gently caress are you still alive and she's all :smug: "You humans and your three dimensions"

I liked the movie but the Borg Queen was dumb and boiled down to some control freak woman Picard jilted years ago having revenge sex with Data. Did some Trekkie write this script?

Why did the Borg fly to Earth and then launch their time travel ship? All that is going to happen is a bunch of Federation ships are going to either blow you up, blow your time traveling ship up, or detect the time travel pod and try to stop it.

What they should have done is just parked their ship somewhere secluded, then luanched the time ship and just let it cruise to Earth.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

That reminds me of how there are points in movies where the character recalling the events is not present and therefore can't know what was said after they left. Or, like, when a character recalls something that was said by another character when they weren't present, or little logical inconsistencies like that.

I'm still chewing through House MD and they make reference to this in pretty much every episode that's told in frame story format. Most recently, House was talking to his therapist about the patient-of-the-week, and in his story he leaves the room. He tells the therapist that after he left, the rest of his team was commenting on how dumb and inept they are compared to him; and when the therapist asks what they really said, he just makes this "come onnn :smug:" face.

And then it cuts to the real scene where they're poo poo talking how he was wrong about his initial diagnosis of the patient.

In of the Jaws sequels the shark has flashbacks of getting blown up my Roy Scheider.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's not the shark, it's Roy Scheider's wife.

But to be fair, she wasn't there, either.

Jaws: The Revenge is just one giant shithole of a movie, though. Worse than Jaws 3D.

First off, we have to somehow accept that the shark in this movie is perhaps a descendant of the one from the first and/or second Jaws, otherwise why else would it have a "shark-grudge" against the Brody family? But then that leaves us asking how a shark can even hold a grudge in the first place, and how it knows who the Brody's are, etc...

And then how dose the shark travel nearly as fast as a plane to get to Florida from New England after the Brody's fly there How does it even know to go there in the first place?! It's "Brody-Sense" can span thousands of miles?

And if a killer shark is stalking them, why don't they just never go back into the loving ocean?

Why does the shark roar like a lion crossed with Godzilla?

Why does it loving explode after being rammed by a piece of wood?

Edit: Cleaned up some stuff.

V V V Second edit: Hey ,you got that in there before my first edit...I'm trying to decide if that makes it better or worse...like, till then, the Jaws franchise was relatively grounded in reality...and why dose this Voodoo Witch Doctor care about killing the Brodys? Was HIS mother the shark from the first one? Half-shark Voodoo Witch Doctor? V V V

I could have sworn at one point the shark had a flashback too, although I refuse to do any research on this topic.

Fake videogames are pretty bad but for my money nothing beats Law and Order websites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG-2zZfLm-U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Squalitude posted:

The Three Musketeers from a couple of years ago seems like a truly terrble movie, but what's stood out for me was that the Cardinal is playing chess with the King; the Cardinal puts the King in check and then suggests the King castles out of the position. I can't work out if this is because the people involved in the movie know next to nothing about chess, or whether they're making a subtle comment that the Cardinal is willing to allow his King to cheat so long as they get to still play together.

The 90's 3 Musketeers was pretty bad. No one noticed Cardinal Tim Curry and his assasin having sniper practice with a portrait of the King in the middle of a giant public square?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KoB posted:

The book didnt have a cure at all, right? I think its much more interesting that there wasnt a cure or magic way out. It was just a thing they had to deal with from now on.

One of the stories was about a guy who made billions selling a fake cure at the beggining of the outbreak, but at the end there wasn't really any miracle cure.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Its been a while since I read the books and the show doesn't quite touch on it but I believe there are other manned castles on the ends of the wall.

East Watch by the Sea is the manned Night's Watch castle at the Bay of Ice and holds their fleet. Unlike the Wildlings many of the Night's Watch have sailing expierence and they also have warships, which would be able to devastate any sort of ship the Wildlings could put together. There are rudimentary trading and fishing ships used by the Wildling smugglers that have been able to slip past the Night's Watch but only because they were in small groups. If any flotilla of actual size was detected the Night's Watch would descend on them and destroy them easily. Between the lack of warships, lack of expierence, weather conditions, Night's Watch and the Wights any sort of sea travel would quickly turn into an unmitigated massacre for the Wildlings.

What's stopping them from trying the the other sea route is the Isle of Skaggos, a place Wildlings and Night's Watch tend avoid because of raiders and cannibals. Even Davos, a southron smuggler has heard tales of horror about trying to sail past Skaggos and is terrified of it, so it has a fearsome reputation.

Basically Mance, who was former Night's Watch, knows that the only viable option given the size of his army and time constraints was to surprise the Night's Watch from the south and open the gates. Anything else would be suicide.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ewok were awesome when I was a kid and they are awesome now. How can you not love fuzzy little people eating bears?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Heather Graham in "From Hell" pretty much wrecked the movie for me. Overall it was pretty decent but her "I'm ENGLISH I AM WHAT WHAT JOLLY ROGER TO THE QUEEN EATING CHIPS ON THE LIFT" accent is atrocious.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Scoofles posted:

Urgh, thanks for reminding me about that horrible horrible accent. It's up there with Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. Are you British by the way? As a Brit that accent stands out a thousand miles to me and I wondered if Americans picked up on how phoney it sounds too. Same deal with Keanu Reeves in Dracula and one of the worst offenders is Russell Crowe's attempt at a Northern accent in Robin Hood. He sounds like a mishmash of faux Irish/Cockney/Aussi and nothing at all like a Northerner.

For some reason though I can totally accept Kevin Costner as an English Lord in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. I say to myself 'he got tortured on the crusades, they must have tortured his voice box' and then I enjoy how absurd the film is. Russell Crowe, on the other hand, just pisses me off with his try hard accent. He needs to stop talking and fire some loving arrows in slow mo or get shot over a wall from a catapult or something fun :mad:

Not English, bad accents just bug the poo poo out of me.
Notable Offenders:
Enemy At The Gates, where no one other than Bob Hoskins even attempts either a russian or german accent
Richard Gere in The Jackal
Brad Pitt in The Devil's Own " I need the mooooonie Toom!"
Tommy Lee Jones in Blown Away
The Peter Sellers movie wher he plays an Indian Guy

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

IIRC what happened was that Connery turned down LOTR and the first Matrix movie because he couldn't really follow the scripts. So when someone approached him with another nerd adaptation he just signed right up.

So Lord Of The Rings flew over his head but Zardoz didn't?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

The alien was never meant to be born before the Nostromo reached Earth. The idea was that one or more crew would be impregnated, then they would go into hypersleep before reaching the chestburster stage and taken straight to a secure facility once they got back to Earth - basically Burke's plan in the second movie. This plan was only derailed because they couldn't foresee that Kane would be so hungry that he'd want to eat before going into hypersleep.

If the alien did get loose on the ship, though, Ash had a secondary plan to kill all the crew then pilot the ship home by himself. He would be perfectly safe in doing this; the alien would ignore him because he's an android. You can see this in what happens to the crew. First Ash suggests spreading out to find the creature with weapons he knows to be inadequate, getting Brett killed; then he convinces Dallas to track it into the air ducts by telling Dallas it's an animal and hence afraid of fire when he knows full well it isn't either. Ash is deliberately killing off the male crew members because he knows he can overpower both the women at the same time. This plan only fails because Ripley discovers the Special Order before Ash can make a plan to kill Parker.

Do aliens ignore adroids though? The Queen ripped Bishop in half at the end of Aliens.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's almost like he was deliberately describing that fight. Big guy is absolutely really one of those abnormally huge terrifying motherfuckers in real life.

The Craster's Keep fight was even worse.

"We are outnumbered and attacking a fortified position, the only advantage we have is the element of surprise. So what we're going to do is scream as loud as possible and then do a dead sprint towards them, just to make sure we are tired and that they know where we are and where we're coming from. Then I'm going to lure their knife expert in as close to as I can with my longsword, that way I can fully utilize my pommel and elbows."

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Robocop why does every OCP conference room have a loaded .50 Desert Eagle in it?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Watching Robocop again makes me really miss squibs and blood packets. Digital gore is so fake looking.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignite Memories posted:

Why was mystique able to replicate trask's fingerprints if she had never met him?

I mean, not that she should have been able to anyways, but...

I always wondered how she was also able to copy clothing. Is the clothing just part of her?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Evil Dead (2013)

Is the forced rehab/detox of your heroin addicted sister really the time and place to introduce your new girlfriend to your family and friends? It seems like you should wait for a wedding or a birthday, some sort of happy gathering. Meeting your significant other's family can be awkward under the best of circumstances, let alone when their sister is going into opiate withdrawls and vomiting everywhere. I just think it would be really awkward is all I'm saying.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Friday Night Lights season 3 spoilers.

after Matt Saracen's dad dies Lyla Garretty shows from out across the country to attend the funeral. She acts really loving towards Matt, hugging him and kissing him at the burial. The problem is Matt and Lyla were never shown to be friends. They never even spoke to each other in previous seasons. I don't know if they even had scenes together.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Friday Night Lights has to have set a record for the most silently dropped story lines in television history. Most of them were for the better--the Writer's Strike was a mercy kill on season 2. But my god.

Whatever happened to the kid that Buddy adopted?
Remember Waverly?
Why was Tim Riggins in high school for like seven years?

There are many more that I can't think of. It's still probably in my top five shows of all time. "The Son" is the only work of fiction (besides Toy Story 3) that has almost made me cry. Texas forever.

Seriosuly, Zach Gilford deserved an emmy for The Son. Diego probably just moved with his uncle, and Waverly most likely had another episode and went back to the loony farm. The plotlines that bugged me were all the gay ones. They had Coach Traub, the Lady Mayor and Devon, but they never really did anything with them. Those storylines could have been way more interesting than " Tim Riggins sadly smolders again".

Your Gay Uncle has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Oct 14, 2014

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fresh Prince Of Bel Air:

I find it hard to believe that a black male teenager would be able to get a cab that fast in Beverly Hills.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In Terminator 3 Arnold says he's 2 fusion cell batteries or something and if they get damaged the explode in a thermonuclear blast. One gets damaged and gets thrown out a car where it explodes, and the other one blows up when he gets crushed by the blast door.

So why the gently caress didn't the fusion cells explode in the first movie when the Terminator gets crushed by a hydraulic press or in the second one when he gets dipped into molten steel?

Also in the second movie why was there a metal foundry open and running in the middle of the night?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The entire pretense of the movie Double Jeopardy got the idea of how double jeopardy works completely wrong. That was not a TV show. This was a major release from a movie studio involving millions of dollars.

God drat that movie was stupid. With this movies logic you rob a bank, get arrested and go to jail. Then when you get out you rob the bank again for the rest of your life, since you can't be tried for the same crime twice!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The second Holmes movie was a bit of a letdown but Jared Hess an amazing Moriarty.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Eclipse12 posted:

Edge of Tomorrow stuff ahead:

The movie was better than I expected for the majority. Sure, it was a little ridiculous, but at least it was a good time doing so. Nit-picking little things didn't change the overall enjoyment of the film; it was funny, had cool alien design, neat mech-suit things, and Tom Cruise getting his rear end kicked. It even hand-waved the whole "How do the characters know they've lost the connection without dying [permanently]?

But the ending... wow. That was pretty awful. I wonder if there was an unpopular test screening where Cruise's character stays dead, because the entire theme of the movie falls apart when he magically resurrects one last time. Originally, the modmvie dealt with the very real cost of sacrifice and death in war. The idea is that Cruise dies a million deaths so other soldiers don't have to. He goes into a no-return situation because he has seen the consequences if he does not. It's noble; he starts as a coward and ends as someone who is willing to die knowing he WON'T come back. And his comrades give their lives for his cause, without ever truly knowing that it was just (like real soldiers tend to do).

So to bring him back again is ludicrous. And the logic in it is even worse? He doesn't even rewind to his normal wake-up moment, because then he would still be disgraced. He gets to go back to when he was still popular, too. How? Why? How did the alien heart die the night before he actually killed it? It makes literally zero sense.

God forbid that Cruise has to stay dead as a sacrifice for saving the Earth. Nope. Not good enough. What a cop-out.

Not to defend the ending because it was a bit of a cop out but. him waking up at a different time actually makes sense plot wise. He woke up when he did the first few times because of when he got the magic time travel blood spilled on him. Depending on when you die you get shot back about 48 hours or so in time. In the end he died much earlier in the day prior to the invasion, so it makes sense he would be sent back earlier in the loop. I agree though, I think the movie should have just ended and cut to black as he died killing the Source or whatever that big alien at the end was called.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

kazil posted:

But he dies at several different times throughout the movie, but that's the only one that changes when he wakes up? I don't buy that. Either the movie should have ended with a noble sacrifice to escape the loop or a return to start to show the futility of it all. The happy ending was so loving terrible and forced.
he dies a ton, but he only dies twice with the blue time travel blood on him. Let's say he had the meeting on Monday, goes to training on Tuesday and dies Wednesday, but he gets the blood spilled on him. This shoots him back to Tuesday. This is now the beginning on his loop. Every time he dies he goes back to the beginning of this loop. Every time he dies without Magic blood time travel blood on him he goes back to the beginning of his original loop. When dies at the end , he dies on Tuesday, but he gets the blood spilled on himearlier than he died before, which stars a new loop, which is earlie than the first loop, so he goes back earlier in the week.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always thought it was weird how in Jurrassic Park Hammond starts out as their tour guide. He's the CEO of a billion dollar international company, where is he going to find time to give 3 tours a day?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

One little nit-pick about that movie that drove me craaaazy:

The aliens are called "mimics". They're called that from the very start, with no explanation given of why humans started calling these squid-monsters "mimics". In fact, I was thinking the whole film they should be called "Squiddies" or something instead, until at the very end of the film, it all makes sense.

The aliens kill off other species by fighting them day after day, repeating things until they've learned how their opponent fights. This means they can "mimic" their enemy's method of fighting. (Except that's really more of a counter than a mimic, its more like they're just fast learners?)

The problem with this is that none of the humans knew this at the time of the start of the film, its a major plot point that nobody understands how they are so good at fighting and the military doesn't know they're using time-travel. So why are they called mimics? Did the show up on Earth and go "Hey Humans, we're called mimics and we're invading you now!" It just doesn't make sense. They shouldn't have a name which gives away their whole method of working. Some human would name them based on their appearance and that'd be it; so it'd be something like 'squiddies' or 'shadows', not 'mimics'.

Yup, the whole film/book came from the idea of taking an FPS setting (respawning characters fighting endlessly) literally.

Red vs Blue kinda did the same thing a long time ago, taking an FPS literally and looking at the absurdity of it all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cDYaeNW7_U

Kill the reds! Kill the reds! Kill the reds!
Kill the blues! Kill the blues! Kill the blues!

I thought they were based of Fijian Mimic Octopi? They certainly wiggle around like they are.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

BBQ'd garlic bread must wreck their poo poo

Pizza works good to depending on the sauce

http://youtu.be/InyNfYDybD0

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just started watching the first season of Sleepy Hollow. Why does their police department have a Sheriff and a Captain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If Darwin adapts perfectly to any environment he's in, why was he a black guy in 1960's America?