Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Not having read any of the comics, where this could possibly be explained, I get really annoyed watching any kind of superhero movie because the only real struggle any of them face can be reduced simply to not having enough time. I became aware of this way back when I was a wee credburn, watching Superman, and thinking that if nothing can hurt him and he can't die, then what is the point of any of this? I guess he might not get to the bus in time to save it, or something. But that was Superman, and yeah, I get that kryptonite or whatever can kill him, but other than that he is, to me, the most boring manifestation of a superhero, because he can do anything and he can't die. But that was Superman, so okay, that's fine.

But now I watch these other superhero movies and I just don't get it. They all seem to be superman. Thor, for instance. He can't be hurt, he can't die, he can fly, and yet the movies occasionally put him in some scenario where he appears to be in danger. But we've seen him get loving run over by a building, we've seen him fly, we've seen him come back from all of this with not a scratch on him, only a little one-liner and then he's back in the action. The same for many other superheroes. Captain America, also, apparently can't be hurt, judging from The Winter Soldier. So what's the real adversary, here? They might not save the people in time. That's it. THEY aren't in any danger, except I guess for mind-controlling sticks or whatever nefarious deed Hot Topic Loki is hatching. I guess I'm just talking about the smaller scenes, with the small fights and this illusion that there is some risk here.

Don't show me a superhero get run over by a cement mixer and then try and make me think the bank robber is going to hurt him with a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

MrJacobs posted:

if you paid attention.

Don't get defensive. I didn't mean to poo poo on your comics.

I guess what annoys me is the inconsistencies. It's not that Thor is ALWAYS invulnerable, it's that he USUALLY is. I have SEEN various Superheroes get their clothes shredded, or whatever, but I've also seen them receive the same treatment in other scenes with no consequence. I know that these are Marvel superhero comics and it's largely inconsequential because it's all set up to be a money making machine so they can't actually die, but at least provide me with some kind of fear of great consequences.

But they fail at that, too. In many Superhero movies, they destroy buildings and bridges and cars blow up and though you don't see it, you have to imagine that hundreds or even thousands of innocent people are getting killed because superheroes can't handle things diplomatically. I think in The Avengers (it's been a long time, so forgive me if I'm a little off) there were some aliens that wanted to, I don't know, take control of New York or something, but the superheroes wouldn't let them. Then they proceed to annihilate New York. So, I'm thinking, if you had just made some kind of arrangement with the aliens, maybe a thousand innocent people wouldn't have gotten killed in the battle. That gets me thinking that, if their own lives aren't what I should be worried about, then it's their mission, which is, I guess, to protect people? But they're loving responsible for so much death. So...so...that would be FINE if they were the bad guys, and I was rooting for the bad guys or something. But they're not. They're just powerful gods who don't think about the people living in the apartment building they just launched a spacepig through.

I'm not that familiar with Daredevil.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Maybe I'm getting burned out.

In the latest Die Hard movie, John MacLean literally drives his big rear end vehicle on top of a little one in front of him and runs over an old woman's head, and he just leans out his window and says something like, "Sorry, lady!"

She's loving dead.

You just murdered her.

Sigh.

Alaois posted:

why didn't Ripley try TALKING to the alien queen

The Alien xenomorph or whatever it's called is obviously a very different creature than the aliens from The Avengers. It doesn't have culture or diplomacy or anything. It's just a bug from outer space. The Avengers aliens had a plan, they could communicate.

Ah, I'm just tired of innocent people dying in movies and it being completely ignored, or at best referenced by a hyuk hyuk one-liner.

credburn has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Oct 5, 2016

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Superhero Nerds posted:

Daredevil
Civil War
Batman v. Superman

Well, I'm dumb. Sorry, guys; The Avengers was actually the last superhero movie I watched because I was so annoyed with there not being this element. I guess I jumped ship too early.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A movie that is otherwise filmed with a steady cam but goes into epileptic seizure shaky-cam chaos the moment a punch is thrown. loving give me a loving break.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Sometimes it is used very successfully to communicate the wildly disorienting adrenaline dump that anyone who's been in a fistfight will recognise. Sometimes it;s just a fig leaf for poor fight choreography.

I think both Saving Private Ryan and the battle episode in the last season of Game of Thrones were phenomenal for how they combined perspectives. SPR had the slow tracking shots focusing on each characters face mixed with first-person shakycam beach-storming action. GoT had the incredibly composed balletic slow-mo cavalry and aerial shots, interspersed with the suffocating chaos of first-person and brutal hand-to-hand stuff shot in closeup.

Yeah, I was going to say Saving Private Ryan did a great job of incorporating shaky-cam to illustrate the chaos of what was happening. I guess it annoys me in Bourne movies because Bourne is a really skilled, methodical killer. He moves quick but it's not out of panic and disorientation and chaos like soldiers dumped on the beaches of Normandy. SPR shows you the shaky cam to immerse you in the characters and what they're feeling. Bourne shows you the shaky cam because STUFF IS MOVING SO FAST NOBODY CAN KEEP UP!!!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The Matrix being like the second DVD I ever owned, I watched the commentary and they talked a lot about the green hue to everything, and I went on to be a loving insufferable twelve year-old at school, educating everyone about The Matrix's nuance that those philistines probably completely overlooked

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Am I a cultureless monster if I just find the music really catchy?

I want to go ou-wooooooot tonight

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Watching Red Lights and this just happened

Edit: the dimming thing is because I paused the movie to angrily take screenshots

credburn has a new favorite as of 07:22 on Feb 6, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

FFT posted:

"∝" to "x"?

Considering it's usually used to mean "is proportional to" it's weird that it was used in the first place at all

Well, she was meaning to write an X. She just did it really sloppily in the zoomed in shot.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Gaunab posted:

Has any movie or TV show found a way to display text on screen? It's always feels like they're flashed on screen for a second but I feel like it's important or why show it?

I'm so confused by what you mean :confused:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Log082 posted:

Crichton ends the Jurassic Park second book with a speech about how maybe atoms aren't real, have you ever seen an atom? Like, with your eyes?

The entire thesis of the series (and a lot of his other books) is that science is bad and will kill us all. JP gets a pass because it's an incredible movie and dinosaurs are so awesome it buries the dumb message. I love the series but it was a hit in spite of Crichton, not because of him.

Crichton's novels are so blatantly a platform for him to spew his dumb theories and bullshit. He's a great storyteller, and when he uses science it's really effective, but he so often manages to cram in bullshit. I mean, State of Fear was straight-up fuckin climate change denial propaganda, but even in his good books his characters seem to step out of the novel, like a fuckin spotlight is on them to just randomly deliver a massive science OR NOT SCIENCE exposition that I couldn't tell if I was supposed to imagine the characters literally breaking the fourth wall to tell me about science or if I was to believe they were actually speaking because nobody in the loving world talks at all like characters in a Crichton novel.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

TaurusTorus posted:

Love when he makes his critics tiny penised baby rapists, love that little detail.

Haha, I think I've heard of this. What's the story here?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I hope I haven't already bitched about this in this thread, but on the subject of comic book movies, I as an ignorant newcomer to comics and comic book movies and superheroes... I need to know who is immortal and who is not!

Is Wolverine immortal? Kinda; he can regenerate and his bones are made of pipes

Is Thor immortal? Well, he is a god and can fly and doesn't ever appear to be hurt in any way, but there are times in those movies where the direction is clearly trying to make me worry for Thor, but why? I've never seen him hurt. Who cares if he falls down an elevator shaft? Who cares if a building falls on him? He's been thrown through multiple walls and walked away with some dust. If I was Thor I would just have a slew of jets I could kamikaze into the bad guys.

Is Hawkeye immortal? I just want him to die.

If I'm going to be invested in the characters within a movie, and if the movie wants me to worry about them, then it needs to start by telling me who is actually even capable of being hurt. If it's a movie about a bunch of immortals where nobody can die, then the fighting and poo poo is all so superficial. The only thing that matters in that case are the characters themselves and their motivations and their conflicts. I don't need to see two people punch each other through walls for forty five minutes if it ultimately means absolutely nothing.

This gif kinda illustrates the point, a little.

credburn has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Feb 7, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The climax in X-Men: First Class where Magneto kills Kevin Bacon... if I'm remembering right. Watching Xavier be like, "No! Don't do it! Don't kill him! You're a good person!" was silly because, like... what the gently caress did you think was going to happen? How else did you expect Magneto to stop the bad guy? Talking to him?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

rydiafan posted:

I mean, at that point the bad guy had been stopped. Once Magneto removed his helmet, Xavier was able to freeze him. At that point Magneto could have just carried him back to the plane like a mannequin.

Oh shoot, you're right. I forgot what it was about it that annoyed me. It was just Xavier's naivete, now that I think about it.

edit: goddammit I need to start counting posts so I stop ending up on the top

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

DarkDobe posted:

Wasn't there a whole thing with Xavier shouting that he 'can't hold him for long' - so literally not giving much choice short of uh... knocking him out or something?
Brain penny it is!

Yeah! It was... something like that. Well now I need to rewatch it so I can remember why I hated the ending.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

That Italian Guy posted:

I wonder what's going to happen once anything having to deal with WW2 gets out of the age bracket for Hollywood to include in their stories set in the modern day. Most "he's a war vet" stories have been moved forward to another war, from WW2 to Vietnam to the Middle East...but you can't really have someone be an Holocaust survivor in 2040+ and you don't have something that's comparable (for a white audience to care about / for a white protagonist to be a victim of) after that.

There have been plenty of ethnic cleansing since WWII to fuel Hollywood for the next generation, don't you worry. Plop a white guy in the lead role as a sympathetic UN worker and you got Oscar landslide 2030

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

ookiimarukochan posted:

they're the reason Tiny Toon Adventures got cancelled

What? Furries got Tiny Toons cancelled?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Is that why the Internet still holds on to a weird amount of hate for furries?

Like, I get making fun of a group of people with niche interests, but it's been a nonstop deluge of bigotry toward them for as long as I've been on the Internet.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The best part about Shang-Chi is the whole origin story behind the bangles rings:

He stole them. Or maybe he bought them. It's not important!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Gamma Ray is the greatest metal band that has ever existed so

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I can't stand Mel Brooks films. I never could. I'm sorry, I lied about it. Every time I said Ludicrous speed! and we all laughed, inside I just hated myself.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Honestly was going to give it a pass until now.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Zero_Grade posted:

IIMM for 2012: In a movie that is ruthless about killing off secondary characters (seriously, it feels like someone dies every scene change), how does the US Chief of Staff survive the film? He's relentlessly dickish about everything whenever he's in a scene, and in a movie like this that usually means you're being set up for a amusing death towards the end. However, he just kinda says "sorry" as the movie ends and that's it? Fifteen minutes earlier he was admitting to brazenly assassinating people in front of a huge crowd!

One of my favorite in-theater moments is when the lady's fiance dies horrible being crunched up between some gears or something, and not three minutes later she's making out with her ex husband. The entire theater started shouting at her, calling her hussy, throwing popcorn. I've never actually seen a theater get so involved with a movie other than at Cats.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Any time in any action movie an actor lands from some height in, you know, that pose. Where they have like one knee on the ground and they're looking down but then look up real dramatically. It's like a loving knock-knock joke, or a meme; it's like a reference to something so loving lost to time that it's just referencing the reference, or just doing it because we all don't loving know how not to do it anymore.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm partial to this one from Underworld

Any time a Superprotagonist can just loving land on their feet I want to applaud.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Ryan Reynolds appearing in a movie usually annoys me. Because he just plays a variation of Ryan fuckin Reynolds and if you're not on board with that, you're going to have a bad time.

I thought Free Guy was released months ago?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Knights Tale and 10 Things are both awful :mad:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The opening to the pretty good documentary Lucy and Desi on Amazon begins with this statement:

"...I don't it when people call Lucy's work 'effortless.'"

Who has ever called any part of this actor's oeuvre "effortless"? They don't cite anyone or anything. It's a fine segue into a montage of how much effort Lucille Ball put into her work, but it's a straw-man segue.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
At this point any movie trailer that uses that bwaawwwhhhhh drone sound must be ironic or referencing something, right? It's like Never Gonna Give You Up being played straight, or waving a swastika around. The meaning has shifted.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I seem to recall he signed a thing relinquishing rights to custody? He like gave his kid to his ex-wife and her wife. I think. Because they were moving to LA? I sure don't remember a second kid unless you mean the monkey.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Watching The Adam Project, the movie opens with space battle and Gimme Some Lovin' is playing. Then later, the same people involved in the space battle continue their space battle and Gimme Some Lovin' starts playing again. But the song starts over. Since the battle is meant to be a continuation of the opening scene, the song should also pick up where it left off. Why would it start over, only to end even sooner than it did the first time? God loving dammit.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The thing that irritated me the most was the ending of the movie.

(Big spoilers)

The big ending where the big plan comes together for the Adams and their dad, and it's the fact that the bullet has a steel core. Only problem is the rifle that was carrying a magazine full of them and wasn't dragged away towards the core like everything else magnetic was, including the bullet she fired. If anything that rifle should have been one of the first things flying towards the core, especially if the magnetic field is strong enough to grab a bullet that fast.

Petty, yes. Irrationally irritating? Yes. The rest of the movie was pretty good though. Might be my favorite ruffalo movie since shutter island.

Are you sure it went down like that? I noticed that, too, but it was so obvious that I thought there must have been a line mumbled about how the bullets had special coating or fuckin I don't know.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Watched the new Halo show, and while it's a decent adaption of the game, they do the unforgivable and have Master Chief take off his helmet. That's just... no.

I've only played the first Halo... maybe the second. Isn't it a big reveal at the end of the first one, or the second, or maybe loving the third or eleventh that Master Chief is in fact a robot?

That is also a plot twist in Bungie's earlier game Marathon.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I still think no other superhero movie has entertained me half as much as Blade did and still does. It's a loving amazing movie with incredible one-liners.

It never fails to make me loving laugh out loud, the scene in the hospital where cops are shooting at Blade and he turns to them and says something like, "Are you out of your motherfucking minds?" It feels so adlibbed but it's not really any weirder than some of the other stuff Blade says.

Motherfuckers always trying to skate up hill

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Didn't Spawn predate Steel?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Cowslips Warren posted:

Was looking over movies that the Friends stars did, and found this horrible thing called The Switch.

I saw this movie in jail.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Maybe it's not as bad as the Revenge of the Nerds costume poo poo (I am still wondering who greenlit that) but it is on par with the Wonder Woman 1984 insanity.

I was exposed to Shakespeare's comedies for the first time over the last few years and JFC not only are they not funny, they're rapey as gently caress and dressing up as someone else to fool someone into loving you is like the loving Wilhelm scream of early modern English comedy.

But also -- what the hell happens in Wonder Woman 1984??

credburn has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Mar 30, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The only scene I remember from Steel was where his handicapped friend straps rockets to her wheelchair so she can move, uh, faster.

Edit: Well, my memory was fuzzy, but here's what I was talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt131v9gMF8&t=60s

God it makes me feel as awkward now as it did twenty years ago.

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Mar 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've only seen the first and parts 1 and 2 of the last Harry Potter movie, so all the stuff having to do with house elves being enslaved and Hermione's attempts to uh, liberate them, I missed. But someone told me all that stuff about slavery is just omitted in the movies. Is that the case, or did they uh... just wash over it real awkwardly? Because I was thinking about revisiting the movies just because I wanted to see how well this extremely awkward sideplot would be handled in a whimsical film.