Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off
The thing that annoys me about TDKR and guns is how he makes a big deal about how he doesn't use guns, but then he's got these big rear end guns on his bat cycle. I guess he's ok with shooting people if he's on the bat cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

8one6 posted:

Looking back it's kind of insane that a book so goddamn useful for stalking people was just delivered for free to your house twice a year.

I always had an unlisted number growing up in the eighties because my mom had been stalked and harassed before I was born. So yeah, it always seemed insane to me.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
What about flame thrower tanks? I guess you'd have a bunch of burning zombies attacking you, so probably not a good idea, but I don't know.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
I hate when there's a scene where the good guys are outnumbered and someone decides to make a heroic sacrifice and tell the protagonist to "Run!". And then they just don't loving run. Like assess the situation and run. Of course it all works out anyway, but it still bugs me.

The worst example of this is in Game of Thrones when Aria is doing her sword lessons with what's his name, the swordmaster. And lanister men come for her.He keeps yelling run. All while fighting off the bad guys with a wooden sword. Just run damnit. She doesn't run until the guy gets killed. Thus totally negating his heroic sacrifice. Of course somehow she still gets away.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Torquemada posted:

The original book is jammed full of really interesting ideas, and absolutely should be read for those ideas, and the influence that they had on a large section of the population (not just writers). You will however have to overcome the writing, which runs a gamut between 'serviceable' and 'fairly poor', and that's just the first book. Herbert is not famous for the elegance of his prose.

I read Dune as a kid and loved it. Still love it as an adult. It confused me when I first heard that Herberts prose wasn't good. I always liked the writing. I just figured I'm not sophisticated enough to know what "good" writing really is. This guy agrees with me though, and makes the case better than I could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ms5hDWafhw

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

IIrc that fight takes place at some big exhibition and everybody conveniently flees once the drones show up. It's a pretty blatant example of trying to have stakes but not wanting to deal with collateral damage, Marvel occasionally seems to suck people into the Danger Dimension for their fights. A magical place where poo poo blows up but everybody has gone out to lunch so there is no real danger.

I like that. The Danger Dimension. I think that's why I'm sick of superhero stuff. The superhero scene needs to move towards introspection. I want to see real world consequences, satire, deconstruction.

I know there's some stuff. My favorite is Super with Dwight from the office. I always loved this scene where bad guy screams at dwight "your no better than me, you almost killed someone for butting in line", and dwight screams back that "YOU DON'T BUTT IN LINE". (should start at 1:23)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EET138PjQnc&t=83s

I always thought that summed up dwights character somehow, and it shows what "real life" superhero's would mean. Just fanatics enforcing their own morality through the use of power. Also, he does not get the girl.

I want more poo poo like that, and I want it to be more popular so I will have something to talk about with regular people,

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Randalor posted:

Yeah, the changeling was mocking how extreme and suspicious the Federarion had become of literally everyone. And why would they care about retinal scanners when they could just enter any buikding through, say, a vent or crack in the foundation? Or just turn into a fly and hang out on a nearby wall until someone else opens the door.

can they really turn into a fly? what about conservation of mass? cmon star trek. get it together.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
I need to try watching ds9 again. I feel like I watched a bunch of episodes and found it kind of ok, and lost interest. But apparently a whole bunch of cool poo poo happens if you stick it out. When does the good stuff start? and can I skip straight to it?

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Torquemada posted:

I rewatched it during the pandemic, it's still the best iteration of Trek. You do need the early episodes to actually appreciate the poo poo everyone has gone through by the end. Also, there are occasional clunkers in every season, no escaping that; there's just a lot fewer than any other Trek series.

I don't know, I feel like I remember a lot of ds9. Maybe I watched the first season? I remember all the characters and their backstories pretty vividly. I liked the characters, but it just seemed like nothing happens. I want to get to the part where something happens. I just really don't want to watch season 1 again.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

credburn posted:

I've been watching The Sopranos lately, and this scene is playing and I find it extremely distracting

The focus is so soft that I'm convinced this is a death dream or hallucination

Every scene in this season is this way. Every background looks like a dreamy matte filter

Maybe they're using too wide an aperture cause they forgot how to light stuff?

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Phanatic posted:

It's a list. A list of 15 items can be read in about two seconds. With the additional critical material, all the content in the video could be read in a couple of minutes.

This isn't a gripe directed at him, it's just the way the world works now, but the single worst aspect about the monetization of content is how it incentivizes everyone to turn a few paragraphs of text into a loving video.

Pellegrino's The Killing Star is the ultimate Prisoner's Dilemma sci-fi.

Dude, 2 minutes per book is fine. If you just want a list by some random you could read it in 30 seconds. I assume the guy is gonna summarize and justify why each book is on the list. Feels like you got a beef with some other kind of content, but this is perfectly reasonable.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

Maybe he could write down his explanations and make it a 5 minute read instead of a 30 minute watch.

So you're mad he made a video you didn't watch instead of an essay you wouldn't read?

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ah, but see, this is what you wanted, this is real superheroes who smile and save the day, not horrible grimdark Snyder that they saved you from.

They can both be bad.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
Do you guys ever get tired of comic books?

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Rockman Reserve posted:

lol look at this dweeb all set to tell us what the acceptable forms of entertainment are

I didn't say anything about that. I was just wondering if anyone is as tired of comic books as i am. I'm 47 years old and I think I'm over them. I used to like them but now I don't. Wonder if anyone else feels the same

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
I like books.

Edit: I have never read a comic that was any good. Recommend me a good comic and I will report back.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
I'd like to say i have real sophisticated taste, but I don't. I like trash. Mostly fantasy and sci fi. I've read all kinds of "respectable" literature but I just don't care about it. It's all trash and I'm ok with that. Read what you love, and I love fantasy and sci fi. Lately I've discovered this genre called "lit rpg" which is basically like reading about someone playing a video game. I love it. I think it may be an autistic thing.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Yeah never seen that either. Another thing I really wish they had is directors commentary. Would be really easy to add as chosing which audio you want is already there.

I miss dvd commentaries. :(

I think this is something we've just lost forever. I miss them too

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

That's something I appreciate about My Hero Academia, it does the opposite, Midoriya is basically the last wielder of the One for All Quirk because only people so ordinary that they basically no longer exist (ie the vanishingly rare people born without any powers at all) can survive having it transferred to them. People who already have their own quirk die before they reach 40, so it's specifically only people who are so special that they are UNspecial that can hang onto it long term, and if none like that are born in Midoriya's lifetime, which is possible, then the quirk will die with him.

That sounds like the same thing with more steps.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Zim ultimately doing the big thing was actually from the original novel.

That doesn't really explain anything. The movie is not exactly faithful to the novel.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

i just realized another thing i dont like, now

a lot of stuff is written and filmed as "self-contained" scenes, in several variations, and then cut those disparate scenes together to something that resembles a narrative. i know that has been a fact since the invention of cinema, but recentlyi think theyre getting sloppier with cutting it together. or possibly i just notice it more

theyre showing annoyance before the thing that triggers is shown, a subtle nod and whispered "now" to a compatriot before they even realize to discuss a plan. and worst of all, they leave in scenes that i guess are meant to look like its all spontaneous but they look like improv outtakes (which they would be in a decent society)

some of this is based on the first 2.5 episodes of the fallout series, but it applies to pretty much everything ive seen in the last 5 years or so

the above is all factual. thank you for my ted talk

Not sure what the gently caress you're talking about.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

this series is like the lord of the rings. never stops never stopping.

pro tip for future vault dwellers: do like the culture, for practical purposes you take your surname from who gives birth. then change later after who cares. at least that way you can avoid the awkward overseer election interference "its your name"

I'm not sure, but I think you may be missing the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Torquemada posted:

I posted this a month ago in the TVIV thread for the show, and to the surprise of no one I was absolutely correct.

Ok, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a big fallout 1/2 fan and I thought the series is great.