Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Did they ever have an episode where other semisapient robot life calls out data for being an uncle tom?

edit: Wait, poo poo, this is basically first contact isn't it

Ignite Memories has a new favorite as of 05:27 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Haha, wait, what? Couldn't you just send someone further back to before he taught them how to fight off psychic attacks?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Michael Bay didn't bring back Megan Fox because she called him hitler in a magazine interview

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

seems apropos

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I feel like that's largely dependent on effects budget, which makes sense, but yeah, I agree there should be more half-eaten zombies, and zombies just twitching and writhing on the ground as extra-chunky skeletons.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

At this point the definition of 'genocide' is literally 'kill all the people in genosha'

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wait really? that's a hilarious and needlessly expensive gag.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

theironjef posted:

They would if the lawyer was She-Hulk.

This idea is so newspaper spiderman it hurts.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I can tell you from experience, jaden smith is gonna have big wrinkles in his forehead by the time he's 25.

It's irresponsible to just go around emoting all the time.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

It's goofy but yeah, he rewires the sentinels with the iron filaments. You see him earlier studying the sentinel schematics and it's understood that Magneto is a genius. Later in the movie, the sentinel HUD is different so... I guess he could change that as well? Whatever, I bought it.

In x-men 2 he rewrites fake cerebro by moving around some metal panels which were somehow integral to its function. This is one of the only things i still really hate about X2.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, his plan to stop the government from getting raven's dna by shooting her and dragging her bloody leg around was pretty retarded too.

Can we have a smart magneto someday?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is there a rationally irritating movie moments thread? Because I just saw the maze runner, and while it's pretty intriguing for most of the movie, the plot dump at the end is a load of horse poo poo.

So, in order to save humanity from a combination heat wave zombie apocalypse, you perform an unfathomably expensive experiment which will help you develop children that are immune to... mazes? There is no drat reason for there to be a maze. Furthermore, if the purpose of the test is indeed to determine which children are immune to the virus [and mazes?!?], why would you have the vector for the virus transmission be a horrendous cyborgspider?? The grievers are clearly more than happy to just rip the children apart and murder them outright than to jab them with their poison virus stinger.

Has anyone here read the books? What is this bullshit? And how did that one kid even get there at the end?

Ignite Memories has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Sep 28, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Me and a friend both went into Mulholland Drive totally blind and never having seen a David Lynch movie before. This was back when netflix was just on DVD, and it suggested that he would really like this movie, so he rented it.

It was an absolutely magical afternoon.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You should watch it. He's lying, there's no twist.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

He was telling his gun to use a whatever bullet?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Why was mystique able to replicate trask's fingerprints if she had never met him?

I mean, not that she should have been able to anyways, but...

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Actually there's another verse in the full version of the song where he talks about the plane ride!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

I quite like the one where tough guys crack their neck from side to side before a fight. I get headaches that go away if I do that and it's way harder to do than just moving your head left and right - I end up looking like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon.

Actually it's really easy to crack your neck that way? I literally just did it. I do it frequently.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What? No they didn't. They liked watching walt. No one actually liked him by the end of the show.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Actually you're right people are loving psychotic I'm sure some of them did.

At the very least, we can agree that Vince Gilligan doesn't want you to.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I figure it's probably pretty easy to get away from a zombie, because they're so slow. Zombie sneaks up on you how they do, bites you somewhere. You bash him off and escape, but then you're hosed. Only in large groups do zombies have the collective strength to stop you and feast on you wholesale, and by that point there's already a large group.

Edit: alternately, he virus is airborne or whatever.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

On the foreign language thing...

When the first Iron Man came out I remember someone in CD mentioning that they went with a friend who speaks whatever language Tony's kidnappers use.

The dialogue is unsubtitled but apparently it actually reveals that Stane is the villain right in the first few minutes.

Does this irritate you? I actually find it pretty awesome. The Thing did this too.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Eclipse12 posted:

So, I watched Snowpiercer lately, and despite a 95% positive rating and an interesting premise, by the end you realize the film is actually a very blatant rip-off of The Matrix: Reloaded. Let me count the ways...

- a post-apocalyptic world that has been rendered cold and lifeless
- A single warm bastion for humanity, preserved by machines
- Ham-fisted Classism commentary
- Hero battles through layers of bad guys to reach the mysterious source of all the oppression. Upon arrival, we see a quiet, simple room that is in stark contrast to what we've seen previously and what we were expecting. Violence is still happening outside, but inside this room, there is time for some contrasting quiet conversation.
- The Matrix had the Architect, Snowpiercer had the Engineer, both quiet, calm, older, logical characters full of exposition at the end of their film
- Protagonist has to decide between saving humanity and helping a single person. That single person represents all humanity is fighting for.
- Both films have an Asian "keymaster" who can open all the doors and dies right after opening the final door
- Unexplained clairvoyant female character (at least the Matrix attempted to explain/develop it. It was a very, very shallow, lazy device in SP)
- Kung-fu fighting
- Tastee Wheat/Protein bar (oh, yeah, as someone who is an admitted baby-eating cannibal, the protagonist in Snowpiercer got WAY too pissed about eating bug bars)
- There's even a nod-wink moment when the Engineer and Captain America are eating where they acknowledge how similar it is to M:R (that doesn't make it a good idea)
- Humans' bodies being used to maintain machinery
- A long, convoluted plot by a puppet-master to deliver the main character to the ending that would have gone wrong a hundred times over if not for sheer luck
- The culling of humans down to a select few time after time only to allow them to rebuild, to maintain balance. Hero can't believe it! How could this be!? And yet, suddenly, it all makes sense!
- You, Hero, must decide the fate of humanity after a jaw-dropping reveal! What decision could you possibly make? The audience will never guess!
- Raves
- Steampunk
- Crappy CGI
- Unkillable antagonist in a suit
- Oblivious Matrix/First-class denizens

I enjoyed the first 30 minutes or so, but drat, did it believe itself to be 10x more clever than it actually was. I don't think there was one subtle/insightful moment in the film.

I hope to gently caress you aren't saying TMR was better than snowpiercer. TMR was agonizing from the first moment to the last. At least snowpiercer was shot well.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Counterpoint: the matrix reloaded

I cannot believe you folks are defending the movie where lovely cgi playstation2 hugo weavings make a literal bowling pin noise when they hit each other.

Seriously, go re watch the burly brawl and tell me the matrix reloaded is not the worst movie ever put to film. You guys clearly do not remember what bad cgi truly is.

Ignite Memories has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Dec 22, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

theironjef posted:

No one is defending Reloaded. No one likes it. They're saying that Snowpiercer is ripping it off, yes. But you can rip things off from a piece of poo poo if you want, it's merely inadvisable, not impossible.

Or maybe a post apocalyptic class-struggle with fistfighting is not something that was invented by the wachowski brothers in 2003.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

No, i read them, I just think it's a stretch. Hero has to decide between saving one significant person and saving a group of people? Big evil person is actually a calm guy in an office? These are common tropes. The fighting in snowpiercer isn't even kung fu. There's not that many hero's journeys, guys.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The song was being facetious.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Malcolm in the middle was cartoony as hell, but they really nailed that small-time Americana vibe. The situations they dealt with weren't always realistic, but the tone was very real. They were struggling to make ends meet, and it showed.

I also think Hal is one of the most identifiable characters in sitcom history. I was a huge Bryan Cranston fan throughout that show's whole run. It's good to see him finally attain the level of fame he deserves.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Byzantine posted:

It had been. That's where he got the name Star-Lord from.

Only if you assume this is the first time she ever referred to him as such.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, girls is firmly planted up its own rear end. Broad city is about girls I want to hang with. Girls is about girls I want to hang.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They do similar things with the intro, except for the part where broad city's intro then segues into a quality television program.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Trust me, if Hank wasn't cotton's son he would have made that abundantly clear to Hank.

e: also peggy is downright horrified by bill. But I guess we're probably joking so this post is irrelevant.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is "made of ice" a minority now?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Midnight Raider posted:

Also my irrational irritation is that I never read the comics, so I never got why everyone hated The League of Extraordinary Gentleman movie.

LXG is a mediocre-to-decent movie, and that's a pretty generous review.

The comic, on the other hand, is one of the more interesting and surprising comics I have ever read. Would you believe me if I told you that Mr. Hyde is one of the most complex characters in comic books? Because in my opinion, he is definitely up there.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Woah! Spoiler that, dude! It's a really awesome scene!

Edit: thank you. Now if only this jerk under me would follow suit.

Also, Mina is NOT a vampire. I'm not sure where you got that impression if you read the comics. That's a movie thing, and one of reasons the movie sucks.

In the comics, it's never implied that she is any more than a badass woman who has lived through some traumatic poo poo.
(LXG)

Ignite Memories has a new favorite as of 03:11 on Feb 17, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Have you read the book in question, or are you just in a shaming mood tonight?

It's Alan loving Moore, and the reveal is amazing. So step off. And don't y'all be spoiling poo poo for no good reason.

Ignite Memories has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Feb 17, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Get bent dude.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

(LXG comics) Mr. Hyde is NOT a noble character, and it's not like, "wow, he's so cool for doing this". He IS a monster. But the way the scene is presented is surprising, in-character and incredibly dark. This is the scene where his nature is explored - Mr. Hyde is Dr Jeckyl's id, seperated from his ego and superego. Jeckyl was trying to get rid of the aspects of himself that he finds abhorrent, which ironically are really petty things. Stuff like occasionally shoplifting, and having homosexual thoughts. Only by this point Hyde has grown humongous, and Jeckyl is basically withering away, appearing less and less as the books go on. Without Hyde, Jeckyl has no drive, no passion. Without Jeckyl, Hyde has no limitations.

Alan Moore is more than capable of presenting you with a monster in a way which is enthralling and thoughtful. My [ir]rationally irritating movie moment is that none of the characters' subtleties were explored in the mediocre popcorn flick we were presented with. Mina, who in the comics is a resourceful, capable and jaded human being, is written into the movie as some kind of magic flying kate beckinsale bullshit. It misses the point of the character completely.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Mousepractice posted:

The Dark Knight is really badly edited for dialogue and contains a lot of uncomfortably cramped line readings.

The worst offender is in the party scene when Batman busts in from off-camera and mumbles Then you're gonna love me in a bored monotone. It blows all the tension built up by the score and Heath Ledger's scary monologue and just kills the scene stone dead.

Also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zja3pcPMszc

I feel like a crazy person whenever I watch the new batman movies with other people, because everyone else loves them so much. I feel like they're all just so bad. Christian bale especially is a horrendous batman. Heath ledger clearly got to have some fun with his performance but everything else really rubs me the wrong way.

People talk about how cool the batman vs bane fight was, and i'm like, were we watching the same movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The first batman was kind of ruined for me by Jack Nicholson playing Jack Nicholson, so I never saw the second one until this year. It immediately struck me as a much stronger batman movie than anything we've been fed in the last twenty years. It had the melodrama and camp without going full clooney. The danny elfman score was extremely cohesive with the tone of the movie, and tim burton's eerie gotham felt just right.

I think batman films should try to emulate the style of the animated series as closely as they can, because BTAS feels like the definitive batman to me. Sadly, that will probably never happen now that DC is trying to stuff its eggs into the avengers' basket.

edit: I probably need a new avatar, huh