Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

3D and HFR and all that poo poo just makes me think of that Jack Handey quote:

"I think a new, different kind of bowling should be "carpet bowling."
It's just like regular bowling, only the lanes are carpet instead of
wood. I don't know why we should do this, but my God, we've got to
try something!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Cinema numbers are declining because people can sit in their own house and watch a film at 1080p on a huge TV with surround sound etc.

The idea behind 3D (and HFR) was to get bums in seats at cinemas again by giving the audience something they couldn't get at home (at the time).

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

e X posted:

It allows them to charge you an additional fee for movie. In a time of declining audiences and falling profits, it will never go away.
The real answer is this. Why give up and extra $3-5 post ticket? Stupid concept with a poor execution that generates a lot of money that magically results in a loss of profits because ???. And they keep doing it because even though it results in a loss, they make a lot of mony off of it.

Slime posted:

A better solution might be to make good movies.
Shut your whore mouth.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Slime posted:

:byodood: But I just keep pouring millions into focus groups and committees that give mandatory notes and rewrite scripts, take less risks on non-traditional storytelling, retreading old movies and sequelizing movies that the fools of Hollywood-yesteryear thought were just one-time-jobs! I am literally making the best possible choices to maximize goodness! Our metrics say so!

Next up: My Dinner with Andre 2: A zany romp set against the backdrop of That Applebees Off Route 2! Safe, familiar, non-threatening fun for the whole family!

:arghfist:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Stop making 3D movies and just hike up the ticket price anyway. Win/Win!

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

mng posted:

Stop making 3D movies and just hike up the ticket price anyway. Win/Win!

Them they have to pay taxes on their profits since they can't claim as big of a loss.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Pre CGI Hobbit Orc:

Apparently it's even more than that 7 Movies that Put Insane Detail into Stuff You Never Noticed

I know, I know it's Cracked but...

quote:

Well, that chain mail that you didn't notice, that you couldn't have noticed, was created by the costume department by hand, link by link working for two straight years, without stopping. They made 6 miles of the stuff (32,000 feet of it) this way, to lay unseen under the armor of the warriors of Middle-earth.

quote:

However, to truly appreciate the completely unreasonable level of detail director Peter Jackson insisted upon, you need to look at all of the armor and weapons featured in the films. Each race has specific traits and customs, and then within those races, each family has their own designs that are reflected in the equipment they wear.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Slime posted:

Well, sure, a beautifully shot subversive movie that compares capitalism with slavery like Transformers 4 makes over a billion worldwide but so did Joss Whedon playing with action figures for 2 hours with Syfy-level cinematography overlayed with expensive effects.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hey guys, big action blockbuster movies are bad, thus all movies these days are terrible.

Back in my days movies were all great films and kids these days am i rite?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BUT MY TOLKIEN.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Zzulu posted:

3D has been around for a while but the "new" 3D trend more or less started with Avatar in 2009

that was 6 years ago, i dont think this fad is goin away anytime soon
It's a fad that happens every thirty years, first they tried it in the late '40s to bad effect, then the 70s and then now, it's kinda like syphilis that way. :v:

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

FinalGamer posted:

It's a fad that happens every thirty years, first they tried it in the late '40s to bad effect, then the 70s and then now, it's kinda like syphilis that way. :v:

Hitchcock filmed Dial M For Murder in 3D.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

FinalGamer posted:

And just like syphilis the third stage is fatal.

Rumda has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Feb 12, 2015

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Quote is not edit.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

scorpiobean posted:

Apparently it's even more than that 7 Movies that Put Insane Detail into Stuff You Never Noticed

I know, I know it's Cracked but...

I visited the effects workshop in New Zealand that did all the LotR effects and whatnot, and they have like a legitimate blacksmith that forges real weapons for close ups on site, it was nuts.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

If you have your keyboard set to some non-roman alphabet language, and type into Google, it'll search for whatever those keypresses would have been on a Qwerty keyboard.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbinger_Down

I think that's it. It'll probably suck like a sci-fi channel film, but at least the effects will be neato.

Surprisingly enough, they have a short trailer for it that looks pretty neat IMHO :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjiCQgiM7-I

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fried Watermelon posted:

Pre CGI Hobbit Orc:

This looks really cool, and the CGI one looks really loving poo poo.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Why the man gotta keep a Tigga down

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

#StripedLivesMatter

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

This looks really cool, and the CGI one looks really loving poo poo.

Some people don't like the CG effects for Bolg and Azog, I liked them when I watched it and Bolg's character design is straight up gnarly. I see from the picture they were trying to do something similar but it just seems like it would be really hard to pull off. When I'm watching the finished movie, I'm fixated on Bolg's ribs, not his face, which may be why I find it alright.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

New lead singer for GWAR?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

New lead singer for GWAR?

Close, but that would be VULVATRON

:black101:

Ransack
Aug 9, 2006

Joseph Gordon Levitt had gay sex with this guys parents in a movie?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ransack posted:

Joseph Gordon Levitt had gay sex with this guys parents in a movie?

That's exactly what I was trying to figure out.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

im pooping! posted:

Some people don't like the CG effects for Bolg and Azog, I liked them when I watched it and Bolg's character design is straight up gnarly. I see from the picture they were trying to do something similar but it just seems like it would be really hard to pull off. When I'm watching the finished movie, I'm fixated on Bolg's ribs, not his face, which may be why I find it alright.
Is there a comparison picture?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wait, he hasn't with yours? They had a big old gay orgy on the weekend here.

Doorstop
Jan 13, 2008
I really miss Texas

Barbed Tongues posted:

#StripedLivesMatter

If this becomes a thing it's on your head.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Nitrox posted:

old bolg ; http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/HTBOTFA-FP-0020.jpg

new bolg: http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/HTBOTFA-FP-0019.jpg

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Nitrox posted:

If that's the original concept for Bolg....

This is what ended up in the movie:

His rib plates moved around when he breathed, like gills or something, it's pretty gruesome/awesome.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Doorstop posted:

If this becomes a thing it's on your head.

a thousend tigers upund his head

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

cowboythreespeech posted:

a thousend tigers upund his head

u know what thats means thousend tigers apund ur head means ur gonan have jynx for the rest of ur life

Goddamn I miss the dramatic readings of that rant :allears:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
why does he have...ribplates

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Zzulu posted:

making the best of a bad situation I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Because nobody is willing to say "no" to Peter Jackson.

• Locked thread