Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
I didn't get a chance to ask in the last thread before it was closed. Where is this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

This one doesn't work for me because it's so anachronistic. Panera Bread didn't exist until the 90's and Tapout wasn't around until the 2000s. Or is that like the point and I'm missing it? There weren't people on scooters in the 80s either, I guess.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Quidam Viator posted:

This is the rear end in a top hat whose Quran-burning threats and showings of Anti-Muslim propaganda set off the Benghazi Riots. Gainesville is the only town I've taught in where the first questions students asked me is which church I attended, and 7th grade girls showed up to school with "Kill Obama" bedazzled on their loving binders.

Where the hell did you teach in Gainesville? No school I know of is like that (maybe Buccholz HS if anywhere, those guys were rednecks, GHS represent). Most of Gainesville is pretty liberal due to the university and Alachua County is usually the only dot of blue in presidential elections.

Centripetal Horse posted:

I like Florida. There were many lovely things about my childhood, but living in Florida was not one of them. I grew up literally swimming with manatees, fishing from my back yard, and snorkeling over exotic location that most people only ever see on television. I am glad to see Florida dismissed as a lovely place to live, because the less people there, the better.

:hfive: (I'm in Texas now but I really miss Florida sometimes. Don't miss the ginormous German roaches and palmetto bugs tho')

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

JPrime posted:

Same here w/ catty-wampus. It's catty-corner though. :colbert:

e: Catty-wampus is as Sex Hobbit says above. Diagonally across a street corner is catty-corner. :colbert: Everything else is just...weird.

Same.

Memento posted:

I get that you could call a roundabout a traffic circle, or a rotary, but why make poo poo up that means nothing?

Those are all different things: a roundabout features horizontal deflection and some outer curb work, a traffic circle is a circle plopped in the middle of an intersection, and a rotary intersection is a very large circular intersection.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

As a native Floridian, I will further pointlessly disenhumor the already mild joke.

Hastings, Florida!

With an annual potato and cabbage festival and a potato queen:

We're proud of our potatoes in North Florida.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

captainOrbital posted:

This looks like something my six-year-old son would write.

Congratulations, Cletus! You're writing at the level of a Chicago Public Schools kindergartner.

Hey, he spelled "peas" correctly! (I had to look it up to figure what "maters" were despite being raised in the South)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

LorrdErnie posted:

Tomatoes duh.

Yeah, I found it on Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mater&defid=1653938

I grew up calling potatoes "taters" and knew a couple of people named "tater" but no one in my area of the South ever said "maters" for tomatoes.

• Locked thread