Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This country is loving stupid and evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How does a freak like Saville end up as the lynchpin of a conspiracy of establishment pedophiles? He was just a radio announcer who happened to be a rapist. I’d expect someone like that to be caught and thrown in jail before getting to meet and make friends with Prince Andrew etc. It would be like if the powerful in the US decided to protect Jared Fogle. Did he get rich and connected first and then start doing crimes?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

Tragic in the same way Goebbels' children's deaths were.

You believe that children are responsible for the crimes of their fathers?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The tragedy of the Yes Men is that bankers have no shame.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The training was for the rest of the department, so that they could learn what happens to snitches.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Busket Posket posted:

I’m genuinely curious to know what y’all think about this article/phenomenon:

False calls about active school shooters are rising. Behind them is a strange pattern

”Whoever is doing this has managed to make phone calls relating to specific schools, reach the correct dispatchers, and give specific information about local school districts and threats within them without being caught," Conley said. "You couldn't do that without some considerable effort and investigation into knowing where you're targeting, how you're targeting it and how you were avoiding detection."

TL;DR: Dozens of reports of active shooter situations with casualties are being called in to schools and non-emergency lines across the US. They appear to originate from the same area overseas, contain a lot of localized details for the school, and the caller sounds like the same person in at least 4 cases (possibly more, but that audio wasn't reviewed).

There are clusters of greater activity in Minnesota, North Carolina, Maine, Louisiana, and Hawaii. No one is quite sure if this is part of a larger scheme to gather data on response times to better plan a larger attack, or if the intent is to cause so many false alarms that an actual attack isn’t taken as seriously until it’s too late, or if the people directing these callers are funded by a group who wants to make the US feel more dangerous, swinging the populace rightward in response.

Or if it even has any greater meaning than just scaring people.

Also Sarcopenia I hope you’re existing in a positive direction :shobon:

The article seems to overstate the sophistication of the operation behind the calls somewhat: you could learn everything you’d need to make those calls by looking at a district website. If it was someone trying to learn how emergency responses worked, wouldn’t they would have to actually observe the school and community? I don’t think you can learn anything by just calling in a report and hanging up. They’re not going to keep you on the line and give you updates.

Also, wouldn’t a person in a real emergency call 911? That and the guy not knowing about ar-15s suggests it’s just a freak who gets off on scaring people, like that guy who called McDonald’s locations around the country to see if he could get the managers to strip search people.

Maybe it’s non-state actors trying to figure out how to do an attack, but there have to be smarter ways to do it. A mass shooting at a school seems like a poor way to do a terrorist attack because you’d have to be a student to get inside and have access to places where people are. I feel like terrorists already have a good idea of how to kill a bunch of people at once. I don’t see what putting yourself onto the US imperial radar like that would get you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

At this rate, they’ll find out who put Bella in the wych elm by the end of the week.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

hellotoothpaste posted:

Why did I rabbit hole into Wikipedia enough to run into food contamination incidents? Probably so I could learn about the Disgusting Domino’s People scandal…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgusting_Domino%27s_People

The Domino's incident was not Kristy Hammonds' first legal trouble. In 2006, she was arrested by the Alexander County Sheriff's Office and charged with three counts of statutory rape in 2006 for sexually abusing a 14-year-old girl for four months; in June 2008, she pleaded guilty for a misdemeanor sexual battery, facing a 60-day jail sentence, a sex offender registry, a $1,941 fine, two years of probation, and not being allowed to be near anyone under 16 except her children. She also was previously charged with possessing stolen property and breaking into a vending machine. Months after the Youtube Domino's controversy garnered publicity, she was attending Wilkes Community College to become a certified medical assistant before being expelled on August 31, 2009 under Jessica's Law, which prohibits registered sex offenders from occupying institutions running programs with minors.

[…]

Setzer entered an Alford plea on March 9, 2010, sentencing him to six months in jail and requiring him to be under supervised probation for exactly two years, pay a $1,000 court fee, and stay away from Hammonds and any Domino's restaurant. Stated Clark, "[Setzer] admits it was a childish, immature, stupid, stupid thing to do. He says while the food was never sent out, it was probably a bad idea to make a video of it." On November 19, 2010, Hammonds pled guilty for a reduced 45-day suspended sentence, 18 months probation, 200 community service hours, attorney fees of $1,125, and prohibition from working at any place selling food or drinks; she also was required to submit videos of the incident to police and not talk about anything related to the case publicly. The judge making this decision, Richard Boner, said during the court sessions "The scary thing is, this goes on in other places that you don't know about, and it makes you wonder what you're getting."

Haha, the Honorable Dick Boner. Awesome username. I’ll do us all a favor and not link the Japan Air Lines food poisoning incident, that’s up to you to search for on your own :barf:

I would not have guessed that being an accessory to food contamination and raping a child would carry such similar penalties.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can understand not wanting to disturb the living family members, who are probably nieces/nephews or great nieces/nephews who don’t know anything, but I’d like to know who the parents were and whether anyone at the time knew they had a kid who disappeared.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did anyone ever figure out who was buying up all the world’s glitter, and for what purpose?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Openly wishing for the death of the unvaxed and gloating when they die?

Thinking that vaccines work seems kind of incidental to that position, to be honest.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It would be a great story if there were literally any evidence at all, which is the same exact deal as most ufo stories.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The police have said for years that they are basically certain who did it but didn’t have enough evidence, haven’t they? I might be confusing that with a similar case.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

teen witch posted:

I still believe that it was more than one, and the other was a cop. Nonetheless, I can’t complain, I genuinely thought it would have never been solved.

That case made me pro regulated sex work, the victims deserved so much better. The scorn some had for the victims was disgusting. I’m hoping attitudes have changed.

Was there evidence suggesting it was a cop? I’m sure a lot of serial killers who are never caught are police, and some of those might be smart enough to copy other active killers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People have psychotic breaks sometimes. It’s not any weirder than a serial killer setting a toddler out as bait to grab someone. It might actually be a little more likely.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Those google searches are very funny when presented in that order. I’ll hold off on calling it “faked” because you can probably be pretty far down a path of messed-up thought and need help when you start contemplating things like faking your own kidnapping.

What ended up being the deal with that woman who faked her own kidnapping and then “reappeared” wearing like halloween dungeon manacles saying she was held captive?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I would fake illness if it got Proton Jon to finish his Superman 64 let’s play.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

Hakuna matata

Hakuna Matar-ta

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Killdozer just wanted the respect to which he was entitled.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://jalopnik.com/how-a-cult-built-the-o-rings-that-failed-on-the-space-s-1846151814

There’s a few Warren Jeffs working at the company now, but none of them are that Warren Jeffs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess the most mysterious song on the internet (“Ulterior Motives”/” Everybody Knows That”) has been definitively sourced to a 1986 photographic film, Angels of Passion:

https://www.stereogum.com/2261440/mysterious-viral-80s-song-everybody-knows-that-finally-identified-after-three-year-hunt/news/

I don’t know if that fits the criteria for this thread, but it might lighten the mood temporarily.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BattyKiara posted:

If we are doing lost songs, I think we should try finding the truth behind this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_M...0given%20to%20a

This one genuinely haunts me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Phy posted:

Or if you were 11-12 before they invented the website, hanging out at the library and pilfering the 001 shelf and getting more nervous than you figured you should every time you saw a picture of a Grey

I still remember being terrified after seeing the trailer for Fire in the Sky on the Preview Channel at like 1:00 in the morning on a sweltering night during summer vacation. I used to have to change the channel as fast as possible if I saw the start of it. Communion too. It sucked because I’d miss the channel listings I was looking for and need to wait for them to come up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Speaking of Bierce, I was downright furious when I learned that the supernatural story of a farmer who vanished while walking toward his wife and children and could later be heard yelling for help in the same field but never seen, a story told as true in multiple books on the unexplained that I checked out from the library as a child, was actually just the plot of Bierce’s story “The Difficulty of Crossing a Field” and plagiarized from it wholesale.