Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
In addition to the past-life-regression through auditing thing, one of the more notoriously goofy texts called What to Audit/A History of Man was written by giving a teenager tons of amphetamines on a yacht and recording everything he said.

The Saturday Evening Post posted:

The boo-hoo, Hubbard writes, was a clam-like animal that lived millions of years ago and used to pump sea water from its shell through its eyes. It marked the transition from life in the sea to life on land, and may be "the missing link in the evolutionary chain." Life on the beach was miserable for the boo-hoo.

Sometimes it would get stranded there, or even attacked by predatory birds. (Hubbard did not explain where, if life was just emerging from the sea, those birds came from.) According to Scientology, you may have been a boo-hoo, aeons ago. If you were, your personality has been affected by some of the awful things that happened to you as a clam on the beach at the dawn of time. When a Scientologist audits you, he may discover evidence of your life as a clam. He then processes this, which is called "running the boo-hoo." This makes you weep like a clam pumping sea water through its eyes, after which you feel much better.

Encolpio posted:

I think part of what sets mormonism and scientology apart from mainstream religions (in addition to their being new) and prompts scorn more quickly is their scriptures' total lack of aesthetic worth.

You don't think that's a bit subjective? You don't think the timeworn and lapidary character of pre-modern texts, translated through a centuries long game of politically motivated "telephone" leads to their perceived clout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Encolpio posted:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at when I said "(in addition to their being new)".

Right, but isn't the corollary to this that in 200 years the references to DC8s and Busch Gardens will be anachronistic enough to sound plausible/spooky/cool or have been massaged out of the text in the retellings and translations? I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, I've just wondered before if anyone around to witness the birth of a new faith wouldn't find it completely absurd, if blessed with the proper context.

The LDS has (have?) survived the United States being essentially at war with them and the CoS used espionage and the legal system to force a détente, so I'm pretty sure neither of them are going anywhere any time soon. Barring widespread societal collapse they will continue to grow for our lifetimes and many more, and academics will argue from varied positions about the meaning of their writings.

I find that scary and unnerving, but also sort of hilarious.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

You don't see a difference between a metal illness and painful incurable diseases?

If there's no guaranteed access to mental health care, isn't it terribly cruel to attempt to stigmatize suicide? I mean, otherwise you're telling the people that they should just get a job good enough to provide them with the insurance to pay for therapy/medication that can help them. Bootstraps?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Hold on, so they were giving dolphins LSD and then babbling at them in blackface?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

RCarr posted:

Has there ever been a case of a diver being attacked by a shark? It seems like a terrible thing to not be able to surface quickly in case of an emergency like that.

Some good reading here - https://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/isaf/diverstats.htm

There have been 100+ shark on diver attacks since records have been kept about that sort of thing. Mostly non-fatal, although the deeper you are the more likely the attack is to be fatal.

If I recall my junior PADI training correctly, decompression sickness sucks but it's less bad than being eaten by a shark. I assume at the point that you fear imminent death from a shark you inflate your BCD and rocket to the surface like a soda bottle, charts be damned. After you've tried hitting him in the nose, I guess.

EDIT:

If that's the good news, the bad news is:

You probably didn't see the shark before he bit you.

moller has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Jun 19, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Different states have implemented laws to fulfill the requirements of the VAWA in different ways. Some states charge the victim a large bill up front with promise of reimbursement in the future. Some states have unrealistically low caps on the amount paid for services to the victim - such as Oklahoma's limit of $450, less than a third of the cost of the tests. Other states put severe limitations on circumstances under which the victim can seek reimbursement such as Louisiana's rule that

slate.com posted:

[The victim] can't have had any felonies in the past five years. They can't have behaved in a way that, in the opinion of the board, ‘contributed to the crime.’ They can't have been involved in other illegal activity at the time they were victimized.

A prosecutor in Michigan turned over a metaphorical rock and found 11,000 untested rape kits, some dating to the 1980s, ostensibly left to sit because no one had paid for the testing. Looking through them allowed her to close several cases and pinpoint serial rapists who had gone unpunished.

More from Human Rights Watch
An in-depth state by state analysis by the Urban Institute (pdf warning)

One silver lining is that the 2015 version of vawa forces states to pay for untested rape kits, but it still allows them to try to get the victim to pay first, and given that there will be 50 different implementations applied to dozens of hospital chains each, some flaws will still remain.

The "hosed up place" you referred to could easily be roughly half of the US, pretty much the same states that sued to be exempt from the medicaid expansion.

moller has a new favorite as of 05:58 on Oct 24, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Just chiming in to say I still support the color-changing cats plan.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Rabbit Hill posted:

It's funny how mental disorder never gives people the urge to, like, build orphanages by hand or feed every homeless person on their home block or something. Instead of having the urge to break into women's apartments to rape them in their sleep, how about breaking in to tuck them in and sing them lullabies? Why's it always got to be rape and torture, mayhem and murder?

In addition to everything others have said, psychological diagnoses are based (almost?) entirely on self-reporting. There's no current way to look into someone's head and determine that they have a psychological illness. To be diagnosed, the patient needs to feel that their behavior is problematic and seek medical help for it. Of course, in the 'states they also need to be able to afford to do this.

A mental disorder that causes altruism without ruining the quality of the patients life in other ways isn't a disorder. It's just their personality.

This self-reporting model is muddied by the idea of post-hoc application of labels like criminally insane or what have you, but those are matters of law, not medicine.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

For me if a person is a true believer(not just in it for the connections, jobs, etc.) in Scientology that is a sign of low intelligence because of how recently it was invented. I don't judge people who follow the older religions by the same standard because I see it as more understandable to be fooled by a thousand year old religion rather than something cooked up by an author who lived during your own lifetime. But yea in the end I consider all religions to be equally full of poo poo.

Check out this LDS basher.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

When I streamed that Operating Thetan Summit a while back I had to keep pausing to translate what they were saying

Good to see you making use of Student Hat and M3 Word Clearing.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Why are my cats changing color? I recall hearing a song about this once.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

fistful of hammers posted:

Speaking of polluted bodies of water; how about a river known for catching on fire?

This is a 1968 description of the Cuyahoga River (located in Northeast Ohio):
Source

The beer is pretty good, though.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

I got a decent dinner ready. Nothing happened with the dinner. Because you crucified it.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Kenning posted:

This instructional video for professional divers got me a bit unsettled, especially the middle bit where they were describing the various fatalities attributable to differential pressure.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0

Delta P is a classic. The OSHA thread has a wealth of posts about occupational health films of that sort.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Nothing. Nothing whatsoever. Tried fullscreening it. Tried turning off the desk lamp. Uh. Do I have the prosopagnosia?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

When you were describing the Bill Buford book I was wondering if it was related to the article about football fans from the book The New Kings of Nonfiction. Turns out it was an excerpt. I'll have to read the whole thing.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

slinkimalinki posted:

I've always struggled to comprehend what crowd crush disasters were like. After reading those descriptions I'm not struggling anymore.

Unfortunately, all the people around you still are.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

FourLeaf posted:

Quick, stop this stupid argument and read this unnerving article. It's a bit long, be warned. Then cry in despair.

A lesson to all Americans: Don't be a poor orphan - police hate that.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Does anyone remember the name of that dude who ate all the component parts of a Cessna, while the topic of wierd eating is still fresh (raw?)

I heard he finished oily.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Tashilicious posted:

and thulium and thalium

Those are the only ones of which the news has come to Harvard / and there may be many others but they haven't been discovered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Most of them have been patriarchal as hell.

There's also the whole tyranny of structurelessness thing where power coalesces around an individual or clique but because they aren't officially in power there's no way to appeal their decisions.