Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Heinous crimes, especially involving children, animals, and the disabled (anyone/anything that can't understand what's happening, much less defend themselves) I can't even wrap my head around. I don't understand how people get so wrong.

The Hi-Fi murders gave me nightmares for days when I first read about it. One of the survivors pulled though his coma, but died at age 44.

The OC weekly blog has a "Citizen of the Week" public shaming column that frequently calls out paedophiles in the community. Some are back in the community and some are locked away for a long time. These people walk among us. People make jokes about "paedo 'stache" and whatnot but the hosed up truth is you don't know most of the time who the monsters are. It's just so hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Judakel posted:

You fellas have any nice links to abandoned ruins and the stories behind them? They can be abandoned modern towns, pre-colonial structures, or old world structures. Throw in some cool Chernobyl links if you have something besides what wikipedia has...

Cumberland Island, Georgia is one of my very favorite places to go in the world (and camp on the beach!) and is home to the Carnegie mansion ruins of Dungeness House.

(edit)

Actual ruin pictures. I have many more/better ones but I don't have them up anywhere. If you GIS you can even get pictures of the 1959 fire.

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 04:55 on May 4, 2014

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

The Ape of Naples posted:

Ok, not a Wikipedia article but this counts as creepy to me even though I'm sure there is a plausible explanation. Sorry, the source is the NY Daily News so take it with a grain of salt.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/great-white-shark-possibly-eaten-larger-mystery-animal-article-1.1821781

It's giant cannibal shark

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

The Ape of Naples posted:

Well, that's sorted. Sharks that big have been found before.

There's some youtube home videos in the comments of people out fishing or whatever with giant fuckoff sharks circling the boat. Nopenopenope.

They totally know how to take down a boat.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

benito posted:

As long as we're talking about smells, I've got some personal experience with anosmia or the loss of the sense of smell. I was cleaning out a sink with bleach and got a huge whiff of it, and then poof! For three days I couldn't smell anything. Think about your day. Your house smells a certain way, you maybe sniff a shirt to see if it's clean, enjoy a cup of coffee, go outside and smell the wet grass, get in your car which has its own scent, and get to the office with its own aromas of carpet cleaner and dry-erase pens. And when you go home, it's all in reverse. Now imagine experiencing none of that, and all of your food tastes like paste. It's kind of like when you break your non-dominant arm, you don't realize how much of a pain in the rear end it is to do things like button your shirt or work a zipper. And anosmia can be deadly since you can't smell a gas leak or smoke or tell if food is rotten.

Fortunately it was just temporary for me, but people that have the permanent version have major problems with depression, and there's not really established technology or even low-tech things like braille or sign language to help out those afflicted.

At some point in O Chem we were working with mustard gas (for some reason or another) and I ducked my face into the fume hood for a second (...for some reason or another) and for weeks after I couldn't smell anything and had the sensation of drowning constantly. It was...unpleasant. Made sleeping difficult as gently caress, nothing quite like constant "I'm drowning" nightmares.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Rapman the Cook posted:

That doesnt address the rest of the most likely bullshit in that comment.

No, I'm just wrong about the substance - it was chloramine, not sulfur mustard. I was wrong in attribution of substance common name to chemical (it's not my field of expertise and it's been a decade). Chloramine has laboratory use.

And yes, I probably should have failed - I probably should have not been in college at all at that point, I was really sick (kidney stones, ulcers, severe insomnia). The lab was split into two rooms and the professor was probably not around or he would have told me to go back to my dorm and get some sleep. It was a bad semester overall. :smith:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Obdicut posted:

More depressing: The father of the ringleader raped and tortured his wife, daughters, and other children, which came out during the trial, but because of a statute of limitations he couldn't be prosecuted on anything except one small charged. He was in prison for only two years.

So on the sympathy thing: The girl who was the ringleader in murdering another girl was herself raped over and over by her father. Is it okay to feel sympathy for her for being raped over and over by her father? Because I feel pretty bad for her being raped over and over by her father.

In other scariness from that same case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Camm

One of the investigating officers on that case was later suspected, arrested, and tried three times for the murder of his own family. The prosecution got witnesses to perjure themselves, hid evidence, and one of the prosecutors was an attorney for another main suspect.

The fact that there's still states with statutes of limitations on child rape is the most :psyduck: thing ever. What the gently caress.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

khwarezm posted:

On the other side: Unit 731.

Oh god...

Luckily the monsters behind this were exposed and swift justice was delivered after Japan's Surr... ptfh haha no, they were protected from war crime charges because the Americans thought they might have had some useful data(they didn't really).

There's a Chinese film called Hei tai yang 731 (The Men Behind the Sun is the English title) about the Unit 731 atrocities. I think the whole thing is on YouTube, it's from the 80s, and it's seriously nightmare fuel.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

goatse.cx posted:

:eyepop: tokaiis done got banned so you're probably the oldest goon now

Wait, what? Why?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Yeah Bro posted:

Having an encyclopaedic knowledge on age of consent laws around the world and how to circumvent them.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

He was real real concerned with ensuring everyone knew the difference between a pedophile and an ephebophile. It seemed to be critically important to him.

God loving drat it. It sucks he ended up being lovely, his stories were really cool.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

What the gently caress did you do during the procedure that made the doc flip their poo poo so hard? Why would hand holding have helped?

It's very painful to have put in (especially if you haven't had kids) and it sounds like the doctor was an rear end in a top hat. I had a pretty similar experience when I got mine put in (I basically had to fight to get it in the first place, and then the doctor was a real bitch about the whole process after she finally relented).

If you're not rearin' to get knocked up you get treated like a second class citizen at a lot of OB/GYN places.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

inkwell posted:

A giant fuckoff bacon mother loving railgun for the clit/brown/taintarea-pwning mother loving WIN.

Are...are you having a stroke? :wtc:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

LargeHadron posted:

You and me both. There's a series on Netflix called Air Disaster that I've been hooked on recently. Some cool re-enactments and analyses.

I really, really loving wish Nexflix or Prime would get Mayday/ACI. It's so good, and you can get the majority on YouTube, but the quality really varies.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

Look at the location. It's not the park itself (I would have loved to visit it) but building it so close to a battlefield really upsets the preservationist in me.

Dude literally everywhere is close to something historic.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

House Louse posted:

Not in America :agesilaus:

Was going to call you out on not counting Native history but...

...beaten.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Randalor posted:

The awful app and Safari seem to hate that link. Can someone post a summary for those of us on phones?

Eh, not really.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Weird, works fine for me on android. Maybe try a different browser?

This problem is a lack of Flash :negative:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Just burn it to the ground. Burn it, salt the earth, spraypaint a giant middle finger on the ashes.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Maybe it's just too early in the morning, but this sounds like you're totally down with medical experimentation on the terminally ill.

If they are in a state wherein they are not suffering or in any way conscious, they are at the very end, and the experimentation can possibly save others, uh...yeah? If my death can save others, or drastically improve the lives of others even, and there is zero chance of saving my rear end and I won't feel anything, more power to the science and medicine pioneers. "Ethical" is not black and white, it's very much gray.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

bean_shadow posted:

I wonder if this is what's happening to Bobbi Kristina Brown. That whole situation is unnerving as well. From the latest she's wasting away at a hospice while the two sides of her family battle each other.

You know a situation is screwed up when TMZ is taking the moral highground and not buying the pictures of her in hospice and trying to expose the family member trying to sell them.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Here's a PDF of the report after he died, for the morbidly curious.

e.: It's really easy to sit here and think about how stupid these parents must have been, but I'm trying to put myself in their shoes. I see my 4 year old go from perfectly healthy to hooked up to a ventilator in 24 hours. The doctors are telling me he's braindead but that can't be right, he was fine yesterday morning. Besides, don't coma patients sometimes wake up from comas after the doctors said they were vegetables, right? Let's just keep him on the ventilator for a while. it can't hurt, and who knows, maybe the doctors were wrong!

After you've locked yourself into that decision, it becomes that much harder to go back. When do you decide to give up - after one year? Five years? Ten years? How terrible must it be to know, deep in the back of your mind, that your child is only alive because of you, and you're going to have to decide when to kill him? You can make that decision, you can pick the day you're going to let him die... or you can just yield to the sunk cost fallacy and keep him going. It can't hurt. We've come this far. Who knows, miracles happen...

Apparently at the end, he was having increasingly terrible respiratory infections, requiring increasingly aggressive treatment. Only then did his parents decide no further measures should be taken to keep him alive. It must have been a relief to feel like finally Fate was playing its hand, and they wouldn't have to make that terrible decision.

This was super interesting. Although, IMHO they probably should have pulled the plug way, way sooner since...

sinking belle posted:

I googled around and found this, which seems to be what you're talking about. loving horrible but I'm really curious about how (whether?) the kid's body developed over that timespan.

vv "Gross appearance" indeed, jesus :(

...it should have become obvious when his growth topped out a little over 3 feet (so, basically the height he was at the time of meningitis infection), and if not then when it became obvious he didn't/wouldn't have a true puberty. That's a pretty definitive sign that the brain isn't sending the signals of a living, thriving human

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

This sounds mega gross I'm going to go buy a bottle and drink it tonight with the finest Chipotle burrito.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

13Pandora13 posted:

This sounds mega gross I'm going to go buy a bottle and drink it tonight with the finest Chipotle burrito.

M'goons

(it's not something I'll buy again but I've had worse, and I don't blame the French for telling them they can't call it champagne)

(edit)

The only champagne glass I have is the gooniest thing ever. :iamafag:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Why do Chipotle have an aziz Ansari quote on their bag?

I don't know, and I'm not clear as to why that particular quote is suitable to a bag of food.

The more I drink of this almond wine the worse it gets. It's way too goddamn sweet.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Karma Monkey posted:

Does it taste very almond-y? I don't think I'll ever try any, as I'm sure most of us won't, so please give a detailed account. Did it go well with the Chipotle?

That is pretty much the perfect glass for that meal.

The almond is more of an aftertaste - it comes on like a fizzy moscato and ends almond. I think the base is Chardonnay but it tastes sweeter than any Chardonnay I've ever had. I don't think it'd work in a mimosa and I definitely think it's something middle class women who want to try something "interesting" would enjoy.

I put it on roughly the same classiness level of Chipotle and a Mr. Skeltal champagne glass.

It paired okay with a black bean, brown rice, and chicken burrito. A beer would have been better.

wyntyr posted:

In my experience, "bleu", which is a step or two below rare. Not quite tartare, but "slightly warm and still mooing" isn't far off

This is the only correct way to eat a steak. :colbert:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

^^^ Whoa dude https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdSyx13l5E0

Centripetal Horse posted:

It's really not unnerving that Dale refused to wear a HANS device; it's just stupid. I don't think there's ever been a definitive answer, but I do believe it's pretty widely accepted that Dale likely survives that crash if he's wearing a HANS device. Some fans go mental when you bring that up. "He was a competitor! He wanted to win! It was uncomfortable! He couldn't race with that thing on!" Well, now he's dead. Let's hold a seance and find out if he'd trade a couple of wins for being alive another two or three decades.

My memory of the timeline on this isn't great, but wasn't the controversy that he was the last driver not wearing a full face helmet, not that he didn't wear HANS? I feel like HANS wasn't a widespread thing until post-Earnhardt death, like it was still relatively new in NASCAR and not super widely used yet.

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Aug 29, 2015

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Varkk posted:

I think it was the HANS as he felt it would slow him down and it was determined he probably would have survived if he had been wearing it as he died of the exact injury it is designed to prevent. After his death pretty much all racing series declared they were mandatory. I think in F1 it was the drivers who asked that it be in the rules as if it was not compulsory no one would wear it as not having it could give you a slight speed edge.

Right, I understand that, my point was that almost nobody in NASCAR wore HANS at the time of his death. The helmet was the thing he was a stubborn old-timer about whereas most drivers weren't wearing HANS because it was uncomfortable and there was the fear of entrapment during a fire. Then he died and everyone was like, "oh gently caress guess we'll wear it then."

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

America still loves Andrew Jackson.

I was glad to hear there was a movement to put a woman on currency, but then found out they were kicking off Hamilton and not Jackson and was pissed. Yeah, keep the garbage human being president, who also destroyed the BUS, on currency but not the first Treasurer and all around badass. Okay.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Pingiivi posted:

I've read some books mentioned in this thread (Columbine, Command and Control etc) and they've been really good. Can someone recommend more well researched books about unnerving stuff?

A totally different type of unnerving, but one of my all-time favorite books is Spillover by David Quammen. Infinitely better science than the pulpy (and much more popular :smith: ) The Hot Zone.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Mostly red meat, with a hint of chicken, apparently. Pretty tasty, too.

He doesn't actually eat his own flesh, because that's illegal. However, he does make a burger from mixed meats, based on analysis of it. He also takes a long good whiff of his own cooked flesh before that.

Wait, why is illegal to eat your own flesh?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Danger posted:

The park ranger thing is from nosleep. How can I get a job stealing stories from a short fiction subreddit and turning them into clickbait lists, too.

Yeah this article and many others there reek of stdh.txt

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Sarcopenia posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Pike_County_shootings

8 family members shot dead. Some of them in their beds. One of them sleeping next to her 4 day old baby :smith:

They just released the 911 call for this: https://www.facebook.com/wsaz3/videos/10153701545809702/ Those poor kids, drat.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

So, I'm pretty sure most Goons in the US have heard of Three Mile Island, the reactor meltdown in the 70s that released lots of radioactive coolant into the environment. Three Mile Island ain't got poo poo on the Santa Susana Field Laboratory. Located seven miles from the Canoga Park neighborhood and thirty miles from downtown Los Angeles, there are now 150,000 people within 5 miles of the place, with 500,000 people within 10miles. Four of the ten worst radioactive accidents in American history have occurred there. Initially a rocket fuel testing site, it was later used for nuclear reactor testing, where the experimental nuclear reactors had no containment facilities.

Some highlights from the linked article (all emphasis mine):

Nuclear accidents not enough? Well, how about flagrant disregard for chemical safety?

Again, this is taking place near where people live. There is a Jewish kids camp run by Brandeis that borders the place. Yeah.

Was this the area that the neighborhood in True Detective S2 was based on? I vaguely recall reading something at some point about the show toning down how awful the real area is for the show because it was too cartoonishly over the top supervillian-esue.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Yeah, but clean, smart clothing and healthy kinda says otherwise than suicidal depression. Isn't tiredness a symptom? Why come to NY, why not off himself in Idaho?

You pretty clearly know nothing about suicide and/or depression.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Cross-posted from the marine disaster A/T thread...

Blue Hole, New Mexico is a popular tourist destination. It's a lovely clear water body (specifically, a spring water fed sinkhole)...

...that also happens to feature a network of underwater caves that were immensely popular with divers until 1976 when two divers (of a team of 10) perished. The actual final depth of the caves is largely unknown, it's only been explored to about 200 feet, and after the accident a grate was installed to keep would-be diving thrill seekers out. Diving is still permitted in Blue Hole, but open water only - the caves were completely sealed off.

That was, until the caves were re-opened to minimal surveying exploration in 2013, with successful dives/rock clearing not commencing until 2015 - a short lived effort, when in March of this year, a highly experienced diver from California died:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/31/veteran-scuba-diver-shane-thompson-dies-underwater-cave-accident-new-mexico
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/expert-diver-dies-blue-hole-caverns-new-mexico-article-1.2586285

The group he was diving with has a page regarding exploration/surveying of the caves and it's history of the 1976 fatality, but no mention of Shane Thompson: http://www.admfoundation.org/projects/santarosa/santarosaexpedition.html or any possible future dives. Local news sources reported shortly after that no more cave diving was to occur, but to the best of my knowledge it hasn't been permanently re-sealed.

Reports from divers who have been in the caves describe a massive underwater cliff that expands so far and deep end walls cannot be seen, and huge networks of chambers and tunnels.

Curiously, if you google "blue hole accident," the New Mexico site is not the only location that will turn up.

Blue Hole, Dahab, Egypt, is the deadliest diving spot in the world and is also a sinkhole system (within the Red Sea). It was the location of the now infamous recorded scuba diving death of Yuri Lipski, who's helmet camera was intact when his body was recovered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eejQPUyeNiY :nms: Warning - there is no visibly graphic footage, but his distress is clearly apparent and audibly gruesome. Slate had a pretty good write up of the circumstances http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscura/2014/03/04/diver_s_cemetery_the_blue_hole_of_dahab_on_the_red_sea_in_egypt.html

As of 2012 there are 14 memorial plaques, signs, etc. bearing the names of divers who went in and never returned, though unofficial estimates (Egyptian authorities don't keep an official count) place the body count over 130. Unscrupulous diving guides will take amateurs on technical level dives, inexperienced and experienced divers alike get lost and panicked in sand, the dive site is accessible by beach so anyone with any experience level can just wade in and swim down, there's dozens of factors that go into the unusually high fatality occurrence. Without oversight deaths will continue: the unusual structure of the underwater features, challenge, and ease of access just make it too appealing for too many people.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/the-blue-hole-in-the-red-sea-is-the-deadliest-dive-site-in-the-world-a-844099.html

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

When I did contract work at a nuclear lab, the site training taught us which of the klaxons meant "gather in designated area", and which meant "run".

My favourite phrase from the training was "unfavorable geometry", I think.

Do you have any sources/samples of these? It's something I find super interesting but googling "nuclear klaxons" or "nuclear sirens" doesn't really give you a lot of specificity or different alarms, just the generic air raid/tornado siren.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

Shut down the thread, boys, you know we've gone mainstream when the Guardian starts joining in.

You've got to hand it to him on the whole "inviting them over for a barbecue" thing, like that's so loving self-referential it's amazing.

So uh, I (very loosely) know someone who got serial-killed. :stare:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42980512
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/americas/toronto-bruce-mcarthur-suspected-serial-killer/index.html

When Andrew first went missing we'd assumed he was on the run for murdering someone but it ends up her got murdered himself.

The loving kicker was that Toronto police denied for weeks there was a serial killer preying on gay men after multiple disappearances, allowing even more men to be killed. Guy was a landscaper that hid parts of his victims in plots and planters/pots he worked in. Super hosed up, exacerbated by Toronto PD not giving a gently caress about the victims because they're gay.

http://torontosun.com/2017/07/10/kinsman-not-the-first-gay-man-to-go-missing-in-village/wcm/8049db1c-59ef-4078-82a3-3f0c90764a45
http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/are-police-doing-enough-to-find-missing-people-in-torontos-gay-village/

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

So Andrew was a crazy guy huh?

He was...a bit of a character. Our friends' group gallows humor way of coping with the news was to assume it was a thunderdome style death match he didn't expect to lose and the killer afterward went on an inspired spree. He wouldn't have actually ever killed anyone and didn't deserve the end he got though, it was just a weird thing to be confronted with. :smith:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Despite being 53 minutes of beeps and boops, the morse code communications between Titanic and the other ships in the vacinity are legitimately scaring me the gently caress out.

Have I got something nightmare fueling for you. http://www.planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

The Schlitterbahn Indictment thread in GBS reminded me of this gem of an FDA citation I stumbled across at work: https://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2017/ucm557859.htm

I'd venture to say most of us know not to buy a miracle cure combination antivenom/MRSA treatment but it horrifies me to know there were people potentially relying on these "medications" for the treatment or serious ailments. They eventually got caught but the FDA is so resource thin it takes years for things like this to be flagged and shut down.

The Schlitterbahn/Verrückt case reminded me of this because it's another example of "regulations in place being flagrantly ignored or compliance flat out lied about for economic gain," at the cost of human life. The fact that there is zero nationalized standard for ride safety, inspections, etc. outside of a handful of ASTM regulations (that your own park engineer can sign off on and have zero inspection to confirm) in the United States doesn't help either. The indictment is here: http://www.kansascity.com/latest-ne...readmore_inline

"The market" doesn't correct dick. Had the kid who died not been a state rep's (white) kid this ride would likely still be operating.