Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I love lost gold mines. Ever since I was a kid I thought they were cool: http://offbeatoregon.com/1207b-crater-lake-discovered-by-legendary-gold-mine-seekers.html

If anyone is looking for a good book on the subject check out "Dig Here!" which despite being published by a super sketchy publisher that also publishes UFO books is an extremely well researched look at the various lost mines of the South West. The title is mislead though, the book should really be called "and it probably never existed" since thats the general summary of a good 75% of all the mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

LoonShia posted:

It can't have been as strange as the Joseph Smith "reading gold plates in a hat with stone glasses" method.

This is one of those things that sounds nutty today but made sense to people at the time. Revelation and Prophecy using Fairy Stones (as they were known) was a pretty common thing that ranged between an actual profession and a parlor trick. It was a pretty commonly held belief in many parts of rural America that certain special people could use them to read codes and ciphers and find hidden things like mines and wells. It was a time filled with a lot of these folksy magic things, it was when a lot of the first huge waves of immigrants from poor places in Europe were showing up and they brought with them a lot of stuff like fairy stones and tarot, and then on top of that it was when the first real seeds of what would become the Occultism and Christian Revival movements were brewing and both of those heavily factor in a lot of strange stuff (snake handling, speaking in tongues, prophecy and revelation, deciphering codes in religious works etc).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think what's most likely is that he's dead somewhere in that ten mile radius and no one has found the body yet. Confident hikers and backpackers do stupid poo poo all the time because they think they are skilled enough to get away with it. If he was injured and delirious from something like a snake bite he could have easily wandered off and gotten himself stuck. That area is punishingly hot and not a good place to get stuck in, if he was hurt he probably would have tried to find some kind of shelter even if it was just under some brush or an overhang and that would make it harder for people to find his body. As for the phone it probably ran out of battery and he tried one last ditch effort to turn it back on. One of the people in that thread makes a very good point, which is that the topo maps for the area end at a point west of the mountain and that it's possible he (using the topo maps combined with the park map) incorrectly gauged the distance of a road that lies to the west of the mountain and if/when he was injured or out of water he tried to make it to the road not realizing how far away it was.

A good thing to bring up is distance in an environment like that. Even experienced hikers get tricked by clear air in hot climates, the phrase you hear is "leave for lunch, get back after dinner" because it's really easy to misjudge distances in that kind of area. Stuff often looks much much closer than it is and people in bad situations sometimes make what seem like poor decisions to armchair hikers. Mainly they leave established trails who's distance they know because it seems like a road, town or light they can see in the distance is much closer than it actually is.

Although if the thing about those people is true it seems awfully suspicious.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Comstar posted:

Although Listverse seems to be quite happy to quote stories about mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis, two I found were 10 mysterious cases involving unidentified people and 10 Mysterious Disappearances of Multiple People interesting. The best one is The Crew of the Sarah Joe.

The story dosn't mention if it was only supposed to be a 3 hour tour.

The suggested theory by several places is that they were found somewhere else by Asian fishermen and buried there. The body was buried with a stack of paper and foil which is a tradition in a lot of Asian cultures. I suspect all of them died pretty soon after drifting off and eventually the boat marooned itself on a sandbar or atol (which is why the survey didn't find the grave) where it was found by fishermen. They probably assumed by the fact that the boat was for short distances and since it was found in an area populated by Asian fishermen that the corpse was also an Asian fisherman and so they buried him in the local style next to the sea on whatever larger landmass was close and then never told any government or national body about it because they assumed he was a local. And they didn't find that much of him either, when whoever found him discovered him he might have been not much more than a few bones in the bottom of a boat.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah, they make knives specifically so divers can fight off sharks if they are attacked. I would recommend not looking up what the after effects of them look like. They are basically a hollow sharp tube backed by a compressed canister, when you tab something and press the button it discharges into the target and explodes a hole in them. Supposedly the freezing effect from the gas also stops a large amount of blood from entering the water and starting a feeding frenzy but that claim seems dubious to me.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

The description's kind of off, but it sounds like EEB was referring to a Wasp Knife.

Yeah, those, I've seen people do test stabs with them on stuff and it seems like it would gently caress up most things. I just really doubt their whole "frozen basketball" claim. The only real life animal I've seen it used on was a gator, it was an ugly mess and gators are a lot harder to stab than sharks.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

RevSyd posted:

"Skeletal" is a word that I do not want to appear in my obituary.

"Here lies RevSyd, he crushed the skeletal legions under his feet when they emerged from their hellportal to steal all our smokin' alien babes."

:colbert:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The sad fact is is that almost none of the people suspected of being Jack The Ripper were probably him. With what we know about the type of serial killer JtR is now and what they knew then him being caught or even suspected by police of that era was probably very very low. Basically he was in the same category of killer as Ted Bundy. He was probably smart, fairly charming and good looking, he planned his killing in areas not patrolled or monitored by law enforcement and where he had time to mutilate his victims. He fit in enough that he was able to blend in to the crowd and not be noticed travelling through the areas where he killed people. The stereotype of a killer at the time was of a raving lunatic who stalked the alleyways grinning evilly while drooling foam from his ravid mouth, not a normal person who blended into crowds and cut up prostitutes as a leisure activity.

The real Ripper probably stood around and watched as the cops arrested a bunch of immigrants and random people who weren't liked or who fit the idea of a Victorian lunatic killer and laughed as he continued stabbing people to death in the night. Also from what we know about serial killers now we know he probably was either killed or moved because they rarely stop killing people once they start although it's not unheard of in the slightest.

Even though it probably wasn't him, this is why some people point fingers at that one sailor who got arrested for very similar crimes in a totally different place some years later (and who had been in the area at the time the ripper murders happened). Also it's important to note that all the Ripper crimes were linked together but most likely only a couple were done by the same person and even then some people think that none of them were done by the same person at all. Stabbing was pretty much how people were murdered in Victorian London (with a side of shootings) and hookers getting killed isn't terribly remarkable unfortunately. So while the ones with the organ mutilation and cuts are probably the same person, it's not likely that the few others that were just normal stabbings were the same killer. And while its true a lot of the letters written to the press contained knowledge that only the police knew at the time, there were lots of witnesses to the crime scene and the police were far from not-corrupt so it's not unlikely that they were hoaxed by someone in order to sell papers (the info being leaked by a police officer would also follow with the evidence that accompanied the letter vanishing).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I unfortunately wasted a large portion of schooling almost getting a history degree. I was focused very heavily on the Dark Ages specifically. And the thing I always found the most unnerving was how into appearance and self upkeep the Vikings were, and also how their society was very progressive enough to trick you into a lull until you are suddenly reminded of their stunning level of cultural violence.

In the Sagas there is a point where a man wont let some travelers (our main characters at this point) stay in his home. This is a huuuuuge no-no in Viking society because things were so harsh and spread out that the existence of commerce depended heavily on being able to sleep in peoples houses for free. So the characters get pissed and come back at night to steal food from his storage house. But then when they are walking away to their boat their leader remembers that stealing is illegal and dishonorable.

So, like, do they return his stuff, say sorry, maybe work his land for a while to repay the slight?

gently caress no, they light his house on fire and kill him.

Because as long as you defeat a man in battle taking his stuff is honorable and cool.

The idea that people who thought and acted so much like us (it was customary for Norse men to carry expensive shaving kits with them everywhere they went! Women had actual rights! They liked pro wrestling!) but were also accepting of a extremely cavalier attitude towards killing other men. Also the sport of Viking lords/chiefs/kings was horse fighting. Where you sexually excite and anger two stallions and then place them in a deep pit where they proceed to violently kill each other.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jack Gladney posted:

That story's so eerie, that this guy was able to just run around free all that time without anybody getting any clue about what he really was. The only reason anyone even knows about his two previous crimes is that he documented them and kept all the photos together in a bundle he left inside a truck he stole in 1994. He had been a fugitive for 20 years when he kidnapped Michael, having run away after being paroled from federal prison in 1973 for robbing a bank, which he robbed after escaping a prison where he was serving 20 years for the rape and kidnapping of a baby. He disappeared in 1975 immediately after being bailed out of the local jail, where he was taken after attempting to kidnap a woman. He was first arrested for shooting cops who showed up while he was robbing a department store when he was 17:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?48515-Sharon-Marshall-2

It seems likely he might have committed some kind of crime between 1973 and 1975.

I've been doing some research for a book recently and really up until the mid 90's (where there were a series of busts on high profile identity theft, including famous hacker Kevin Mitnick) it was shockingly easy to vanish if you even had any shred of skill or access to money and technology. There just wasn't any real good way to track people even with things like drivers licenses and security cards. Were talking about an era with pretty much no centralized database for any kind of visual records. If some guy skipped prison and ended up three states away in a small town, the only way that town was going to know he was fugitive was if they got photos or sketches physically mailed to them. People were more trusting in a lot of ways as well. It was shockingly easy to apply for a birth certificate and from there you could basically piece together a entire legal identity. Forms for working were basically never handled or stored well so you could easily have a job and entire life based around just giving someone a different name, especially if you weren't applying for anything that required credentials.

Someone like DB Cooper could never get away with what he did today. The second he jumped we would have had every bank in the area scanning bills with UV pens looking for marks, we would have drones and satellites and long range camera planes in the sky and a massive dragnet of people disseminating the multiple security camera and on board camera photos of him. Unless he lived as a homeless hermit in the Oregon woods the rest of his life we would have caught him within a month probably.

But in the 70's? All we had to go on was a sketch and a vague description. As long as that dude landed OK he was basically home free with no skin off his back. This was in the era when you provided a name on your plane ticket more as a formality than anything and you could fly with firearms on you in most places.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Astrofig posted:

They still do that poo poo, incidentally. As recently as 2009 stories drifted out of the Middle East of Coalition soldiers making necklaces of slain insurgents' ears or fingers, or of tossing dead kids (that they killed) on the hood of their Humvees and driving around town with them, showing off the slaughter as some form of psychological warfare.

And people on this very forum supported them doing it because GiP is the loving twilight zone.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I just realized that Ted Kaczynski/The Unabomber is pretty much the closest real-life equivalent of a supervillain.

I'd say that award goes to either Erik Prince, Skorzeny or Gilles Des Rais honestly. Erik's Wikipage is pretty heavily scrubbed of anything that puts him in a bad light but the info is out there if you go look or if you read one of the several bio's written about him. Skorzeny has been mentioned in this thread but that dude was an insane Nazi bad guy to the core, we can only count our blessings that the poor organization of the German war machine prevented him from actually being able to organize his network of pro-Nazi terror cells in preparation for the fall of Berlin, instead he just formed a menacingly named PSC that worked exclusively for dictators and supposedly only took payment in gold. Gilles is pretty well known seeing as he was a combination national hero, right hand man to Joan of Arc but then also the worlds most prolific pedophile serial killer.

As far as organizations like HYDRA or COBRA go the Allied organization of terrorist cells post-WWII called Gladio is pretty sinister. Considering especially that it managed to set up a violent pro-nationalist shadow government dictatorship in Turkey that managed to pass itself off as a legitimate democracy to most of the people in the country and the international community until it crumbled and fell apart near the end of the Cold War (but many elements of it are still in defacto control of Turkeys government and include a nationalist/psuedofacist secret police militia that murders dissidents).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

If the guy was a secret agent it would make more sense for him to have de-tagged and removed any ID himself. Like how when you're sending secret agents on missions you don't tell them to take their real passport just in case a cop pulls them over on unrelated business.

Source: I've watched Get Smart more times than I've had sex. once

Generally you wouldn't de-tag your clothes and you'd be carrying normal poo poo if you were a spy. Being a spy is that your job is to fit in wherever you go, your task is to look, dress and act like people who look like you in that area do. If he was a spy that died there wouldn't have been anything off about him.

Source: Security and anti-terrorism is my degree field.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Japan's legal and governemntal systems are fun because they are basically what happens when a bunch of conservatives from the US in the 50's get to play out their governmental thought experiment fantasy IRL.

Led to some crazy stuff:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recreation_and_Amusement_Association
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryoichi_Sasakawa

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Doctor Malaver posted:

How about a music break?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayhem_%28band%29

Some murders, a suicide, corpse necklaces, churches burning... (you'll need to click around, it's not all on this page)

There are two pretty good movies about this; Until The Light Takes Us and Once Upon a Time in Norway. The issue is that to get a good look at the issue you kind of need to see both because one is a very dry "facts only" history approach and the other is much more a look at the people involved in the crimes (but basically assumes you are familiar with the background information already). It does do a good job of capturing the sometimes strange and awkward relationship the modern extreme metal scene in Europe has with the church burnings and Varg.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

InediblePenguin posted:

Because of one specific accident, no less (I'm 100% sure the New London school explosion has been covered in this thread before tho)

You know things are bad when Hitler sends a letter of condolences.

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 11:01 on Jan 13, 2015

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jack Gladney posted:

Vronsky gives a chapter to each, actually, and speculates in a pretty half-assed way about folklore creatures like werewolves and vampires that were normal people who transformed into monsters, saying they could have historical origins with premodern people driven to kill. He also writes about HH Holmes and that lady in New Orleans who did crazy mutilation sex stuff to her slaves. He says of her and the others that they could do it because they had near-total aristocratic power, and that once they were found out the community did go after them.

He mentions Sawney Bean too, and says the story was probably embellished.

To be fair a large amount of "werewolf" lore comes from serial killers in France since that was what the popular media of the time referred to them as. They didn't think they were literal werewolves but it was just the popular buzzword of the time for serial killers.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It was much more common in the past than it is now. I did a ton of world traveling when I was under ten and I remember doing stuff like walking to go get a pizza at Pizza Hut or going to the pool in Manila which at the time was a place where you were rocked to sleep by the calming sounds of automatic weapons fire every night. And it wasn't just me, I would do this with friends and other kids I'd met and it was considered totally normal.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing now, it's just I don't think without stuff like cell phones and social media putting us in tune with everything going on we ever thought about how much bad poo poo could happen. We used to skitch to the 7-11 on the back of random teenagers cars when I was 6-11 too, and I fI had kids I would flip out if I ever saw them do that.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I've been reading a novel about demonic possession. One of the characters, a skeptical Jesuit priest, mentions the gospel of Luke about Jesus praying at Gethsemane: "then His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground”, and brings up hematidrosis. Unfamiliar with either the Biblical or the medical phenomenon, I looked it up.

Turns out that's actually a thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hematidrosis

To sum it up --- you really can get so stressed out you sweat blood. :gonk:

Here's an abstract from PubMed:

edit: for clarity in a butchered sentence.

My friend's doc thought he had this once, but it turned out he had just thrown up so hard he burst a blood vessel in his forehead.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Actually it was eBay, and while they made a couple million dollars the actual case was over something like ~500 grand. There's a massive amount of misinformation about the case floating around, a lot of it verging on full on conspiracy theory poo poo.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to do time, but it's highly inaccurate to call that "massive fraud".

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Mar 17, 2015

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jack Gladney posted:

Well, they only prosecuted the first 500 thousand, but he probably got something closer to 5 million. That seems like a pretty massive fraud for a single smug libertarian to pull off. And I thought part of the original story involved amazon referrals getting hijacked, but that seems totally wrong.

It was a 15 man company that made ~5 million over a few years. So decent income, and I think he certainly was paid a million or or dollars in that time frame but I believe the assertion was that only the 400k wasn't legitimate and the other income was made through actual strategies that eBay said were more or less legitimate. They basically got taken down because they were Libertarians and so they ruined a perfectly reasonable and profitable legal tech company by using underhanded tactics to earn a basically not worth it amount of extra money by trying to fleece rubes and a shocking amount of Libertarian run companies and projects end up going down due to this exact level of minor greed.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

PresidentBeard posted:

Cracked actually recently had a halfway decent user submitted list of unsolved mysteries. Many of them were already covered in this thread, but hey it's something to introduce people to a bunch.

Except the part where half of the ones on the list were solved or have perfectly reasonable explanations they forgot to mention.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

bean_shadow posted:

The arcade game "Polybius". There's no evidence this game existed at all but it's still a creepy urban legend, complete with insanity and shady Men in Black coming around to get information from the machines:.

Fun Fact: During that time period in Portland the feds were running a sting operation trying to crack down on illegal gambling rings based in Arcades. They even went as far as installing hidden cameras in cabinets to try and catch drug deals and in one case ran an entire Arcade as a front operation.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Tired Moritz posted:

Talking about books, what's the best books if I want to read up on hosed up crimes or serial murderers?

Under the Banner of Heaven
Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery
Killer on the Road
Lethal Passage: The Story of a Gun
The Murder of the Century: The Gilded Age Crime That Scandalized a City & Sparked the Tabloid Wars
I: The Creation of a Serial Killer

Are all ones that I thought were pretty decent to pretty good.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Never have I seen a more affronted group of people then the group of British tourists I saw go into a Applebees.

Not because of the food, but because of just how in your face overly friendly to the point of annoyance the staff is at American family dining chains. You get used to it when you grow up around it in the US but I imagine it can be off putting. In the UK you could strangle a hooker while doing a line of coke off of her decomposing body while a second hooker blows you and there is no loving way any staff member of Nandos is approaching your booth if they've already given you your food.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Chicken Butt posted:

So I guess these Norwegian Black Metal guys didn't quite get that Ozzy & Judas Priest and all the first generation of metal guys were just doing the "Satanic Evil!!!" thing as a marketing gimmick? (And because it's fun to be a transgressive rock star and freak out your fans' parents.)

Basically the long and short of it is that post WWII Scandinavia wen't through many years of extremely liberal politics while still maintaining an adherence to typically Scandinavian love of being soft spoken, unobtrusive and ordered. By the time the 80's rolled around all the black metal stuff was heavily reactionary to the Scandinavia of those people's childhood. So they rebelled by embracing neo paganism, Odinism and Stanism. They started making and listening to loud music that didn't make sense, was generally grating and wen't against the trends of popular music at the time (insipid folk ballad influenced pop music and eurodisco). And in many cases wen't full force into the whole Nazi/Aryan/racism thing because it was considered such a great evil by the establishment of the time. The reason it got so, well, weird as compared to stuff like the rise of racist skinheads in Britain is because, at the time, there wasn't the sort of class struggle problems at catalyzed racists in the UK. Income disparity was low, employment was high, you basically never saw immigrants outside of major cities and most of them were white people from other prosperous countries. The liberal political climate meant that even when people disapproved of their choices they didn't have to deal with the man trying to break up their groups or declare them gangs and stuff like that. And so without actual targets for violence (ie no immigrants to beat up or rival gangs, a wide range of ideals in their scene (most black metal musicians weren't racists, others just believed in racial superiority concepts or psuedo racist ideology and more importantly they lacked organized groups like National Front to codify ideals) they got into poo poo like esoteric mysticism, and church burning.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kurtofan posted:

How come the US has so many serial killers?

Maybe we have the same amount as everyone else, but because we're American ours just get caught due to laziness?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

hah Ya know, I was gonna ask about another creepy camping murder thing...but my memory is now so polluted with all the other creepy muder things, I can't frame a question at all. :saddowns:

Here is my attempt:
Three (women?) people murdered in secluded cabin in the woods out west(??) no one is caught. Three women(??) killed in the same area at a different cabin years and years later and it turned out to be a creepy drifter(???).

I remember being really weirded out by it happening at the time(mid to late 90????), and then reading about the second instance(in the 2000's???) and wondering if they ever linked the two.

SKULL FOREST??????????????

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

pookel posted:

I don't know how that could ever be expected to pass as actual published journalism. Even at the Weekly World News they'd have known to put a comma at the end of a quote.

That's because a lot of the people who wrote for WWN were actual real journalists who got bored of normal journalism/couldn't find work so they decided to do satire instead. Most of the good people left in the late 90's, but for a long time it had guys writing for it who had done real world respected journalism.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Getting a false identity back then wasn't hard at all. If she was smart enough to get a GED and then an associates degree she was well qualified to get a fake identity prior to, like, 1990. Kevin Mitnick had the FBI searching for him and he managed it (I mean, he's a very intelligent person but the ID theft part of his life was not the difficult part of his avoiding the FBI) three or four times basically just using a phone and a library. The way she did it is common because choosing a dead person means you get to cash out on Social Security and stuff where as choosing a living one means the actual real life person might retire before you or get arrested or something.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The Mormons have historically not been very nice people to cross:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_Rockwell
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_War

Although to be fair, they had reason to fear the US Government:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1838_Mormon_War

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
We had a similar thing happen near me a few years back only the girl died. They put the parents into general prison population and our local powerful gang of meth dealing skinheads murdered both of them within days.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Do you just live in a super white place with no Mexicans or Asians? I know a bunch of dudes under 5'5.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Ah yes, Dyatlov Pass, a new and novel subject for this thread.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

pookel posted:

He had some kind of mental handicap/impairment, but regularly wrote in mysterious ciphers that no one else could read? Was he autistic? Schizophrenic?

It seems to me that if you were keeping information for yourself, as opposed to communicating with someone else, you could make a cipher unbreakable simply by mixing gibberish with the real message and remembering which was which.

It's probably a one time pad, making it essentially unbreakable if the code is in fact random or has a solution known only to the person who wrote it. Another thing no one seems to bring up is that maybe he found the notes. Growing up my friends older brother had some pretty strong mental issues and one of the things he would do was just sort of collect notes and things he found because he didn't have a great grasp on what made certain things people wrote down (like his medication info and what bus to take) really important and so when he saw notes he would grab them because he assumed they shouldn't be lost.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I grew up in England, so the idea that you can stand on a normal residential street and on the other side is an endless silent moonscape really puts the zap on my head. Walk far enough into the desert and anything you leave there might as well be on Mars.

I have friends in the UK and I was trying to explain to them visiting Eastern Oregon and they just couldn't comprehend the idea of being able to drive for two hours and never see another person. I've been through New Mexico a bit while Dutch Hunting and it's a pretty kooky place. A lot of people stuck there because it's remote and hard to leave if you don't have money, and a lot of people moving there because they want somewhere where the government or people will leave them alone.

The buckets are from poachers or rustlers. Its the organs of a deer or cow that they had to dispose of somewhere.

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Apr 24, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Centripetal Horse posted:

As someone already pointed out, you ought to be. Even without psycho killers qu'est-ce que c'esting their way around the dunes, the desert is loving deadly. I just moved away from Las Vegas. If you've never lived in a place like the American Southwest, you don't realize how fast the environment can become utterly inhospitable. One minute, you're on the edge of Las Vegas, and you can see the hotels and the lights; the next minute, you're on some cracked two-lane road with weeds growing up through it, and you realize scrub brush is the only life within screaming distance. The desert eats super-fit professional athletes without a second thought, so your pudgy dad-bod is right hosed if your car dies on some lovely desert back road with no cell service.

It really is stunning how much "nothing" there can be in an area. The nothing starts to have psychological weight. You can feel the nothing pressing down on you, and it's confusing, because how can you feel nothing pressing down on you? In the dark, alone in your car, ten miles to civilization can feel like a million when you start wondering what would happen if you threw a rod, or blew a line. I do (well, did) a lot of cross-country driving by myself, and, despite experience, and my best efforts at preparation, there have been a couple of times when I've found myself in situations where I could definitely feel the weight of that nothing.

I started Dutch Hunting because I love being in the desert, but what you say is mostly correct. You need a certain type of temperament and skills to survive there. People don't loving joke around when they say the Superstitions are filled with the bodies of a hundred dead men and no gold. But people keep looking, because I mean, what if Adolph Ruth actually found something? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Dutchman's_Gold_Mine#The_death_of_Adolph_Ruth

Edit: Dutch Hunters are people who look for (usually fictional) lost mines, it's a fun hobby.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Scathach posted:

I grew up in the desert so this isn't even weird to me. Stretches of hot nothing are comforting; big cities make me feel dirty and crowded. The pic below was very close to my old house. I live in this massive city in the Northwest right now but god I miss the desert.

It's really unfortunate all the hosed up stuff that's happening to the deserts in the US and how most of it is happening because people just don't care. Lot's of greedy ranchers and developers are basically putting fences and gates around public land and saying it belongs to them because no one is out there enforcing it. The whole Bundy cattle thing and Malheur occupation was really the least of it, there's hundreds of thousands of acres out in Oregon and Nevada that's basically been stolen by ranching conglomerates from the American people and that's kinda hosed up.

Here's a picture my friend took from Eastern Oregon, pretty much the only man made thing you can see is our car way in the distance.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Phanatic posted:

It's one of those cases where everyone knows what transpired but they're all wrong.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2013/10/02/the-shocking-truth-of-the-notorious-milgram-obedience-experiments/

Context matters. There were variations of the experiment where nobody obeyed. If you set it up where the authority is a doctor, explaining that the treatment is painful but necessary to save the subject's life, you could probably push the obedience up to almost total.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/01/rethinking-one-of-psychologys-most-infamous-experiments/384913/

Or this one:

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2010/05/the_french_obey_authority_figu.html

The Stanford Prison experiment is another one that people get consistently wrong. It wasn't just a random selection of people who showed up for an experiment and were randomly assigned into one or two groups. The ad placed to solicit participants specifically stated it was for a psychological experiment about prison life. Those participants were given standard personality inventories, and all scored significantly higher on significantly higher on narcissism, social dominance, aggression, Machiavellianism and authoritarianism. So maybe that study tells you something about the sort of people who want to participate in simulations about prison life, but it doesn't tell you much about the general population.

Also a bunch of the people who were in the experiment later admitted that they did a bunch of the horrible stuff because they all basically wanted to play prison LARP and everyone was pretty much OK with it. They were specifically imitating movies and books about prisons because they thought it would be fun. I Imagine if you repeated the experiment today without all that shizz it would not be nearly as dramatic or scandalous and probably pretty boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Rondette posted:

On a football theme, I had never heard of the Heysel Stadium disaster until Youtube autoplayed this documentary after the Piper Alpha one.

The UEFA cup final in 1985 went ahead, despite 39 people being crushed and killed in fights between Liverpool and Juventus fans not 3 hours before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44xynnPXmAE

I've had a happy morning's watching!

Speaking as a life long Juventus fan with a lot of family in Italy, this is still brought up today and is pretty fresh in the mind of a lot of fans. They're still building memorials to this very day, I'm pretty sure the last one was less than two or three years ago.