Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

They recruit paranoid crazy people. This cannot be overstated. Their whole mythology is that mental health professionals are part of an alien conspiracy to suppress humanity's true powers. Prescribed drugs rob you of your superpowers, as does talk therapy. They've cultivated a fanatically loyal army of lunatics.

The thing about Scientology is that they don't actually tell their followers about the wackier parts of their mythology until they've eventually spent their life savings on level-ups so that they can access the "higher knowledge" (that they could have just looked up on the internet). I imagine at least some people are far too invested in the whole thing by then so they just accept it, because drat they must feel like idiots when they get to the part about spacelord Xenu otherwise.

But what is really kills me is that there are now reformist Scientologists who agree as a church the religion is corrupt and horrible, but the "core teachings of Scientology" are still important and deserve a better church around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

There are also the people who were born into it or joined as children with their parents. You have to feel sorry for those people at least.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

In case you are wondering, one way which CoS uses to gather information about its members' personal lives is recording their confession sessions secretly totally legitimately with cameras and microphones that aren't hidden, just small and out of sight so they don't feel intrusive.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

DStecks posted:

Not sure if you missed the entire point of the discussion, but people feel sympathy for Dahmer because you can't just throw him in the box labelled "monster" or "not really a human like I am".

If you are going to sympathize with anything less than a manically laughing puppy murdering psychopath...

I mean everyone is just a victim to circumstance if you really want to start going down that rabbit hole, especially those "monsters" that didn't even have the capacity know any better to begin with.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Cobweb Heart posted:

"If I lived almost my entire life constantly bullied, grievously alcoholic, repeatedly abandoned, hating myself for being gay, and increasingly unable to understand how to connect with other humans, in the middle of poo poo nowhere with no prospects and nothing to do, I would never develop any weird compulsions because I'm mentally stronger than others and humans are inherently good except for a few who aren't and that's that. :colbert:"

Most people like that do in fact cope without committing several murders, yes.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

No arguing that point, you're right. The person at fault for the murders is 100% Dahmer. I'm not sure why you think that's the issue being discussed though.

No one is thinking that.

Also, no one actually feels sympathy for every person who isn't a cartoon villain.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

DStecks posted:

You're missing the point: sympathy for the victims is assumed and thus not worthy of discussion. And what is there to say about the victims of a serial killer beyond "they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, ain't that lovely?"

Plus it doesn't let you be holier-than-thou with people whose hearts aren't bursting with love for all of humanity.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

The people you're saying are holier-than-thou were simply defending themselves. The discussion wasn't an argument at all until you and others posted about how disgusting it is that somebody could feel sympathy for Dahmer. So who was really holier-than-thou in that situation?

Probably the one who claims to have sympathy for every human being.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

rayne503 posted:

This was a few pages back but here's a quote from the article:

"Although not true carnivores, pigs are competent predators and can kill and eat helpless humans unable to escape them."

:stare:
Guess you better hope you don't trip and fall in a pig pen.

From the source article:

quote:

The murder of Raccosta was allegedly led by Simone Pepe, 24, a rival gangster, who was arrested this week.

He described the killing in chilling terms to a friend in a telephone conversation that was intercepted by police.

“It was satisfying to hear him scream...Mamma mia, how he squealed, but I couldn’t give a s---. Someone said a few bits of him remained at the end of it all, but I couldn’t see anything, for me nothing remained at all. I said, wow, how a pig can eat!”

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

DStecks posted:

Probably because most people just think of pigs as harmless, dopey, indiscriminant eaters, not genuine meat lovers, let alone predators.

Also the fact these were domesticated pigs and the guy the mafia fed them was likely still alive. And so little remained after a few moments that it's apparently a pretty good way to dispose a body.

There was another news story about man eating pigs: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/01/14173510-70-year-old-oregon-farmer-eaten-by-his-hogs?lite

quote:

On Wednesday morning, Terry V. Garner, a 70-year-old Oregon farmer, went to feed his animals. Several hours later, when he hadn’t returned, a family member went to look for him and found, on the ground of the hog enclosure, his dentures.

Further investigation of the enclosure by the family member revealed that the hogs, which each weighed about 700 pounds, had nearly completely eaten the farmer, although some body parts hadn't been consumed and were strewn about the enclosure.

A pig can really eat.

BioMe has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Is it really possible to get that lost looking for a house?

Especially when you've got a child with you?, you'd think having a kid with you would remind you to keep note of your route so far and would stop you wandering for longer than a half hour.

Where they unable to get phone reception or did they just walk off without even taking their phones?

Edit: just read the wiki link again and they left their phones in the car.
Honestly I find it hard to swallow that they just wandered so far they got lost in the first place and then just wandered in circles till they died a few miles away.

Maybe they are that daft but it feels like there must be more to it.

Death by getting lost is a pretty legitimate way to die, especially if you aren't aware it is.

Aren't people even hardwired to walk in circles? I swear I remember hearing about some behaviorist testing that by blindfolding people and telling them to walk straight across a field, which turns out is almost impossible without being able to visually pick a point to walk towards.