Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

RCarr posted:

Of course there's no such thing as a 50 foot ant. :rolleyes: Some people will believe anything.
:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Them was clearly a documentary.

OK, I was being facetious. But even small ants can be scary and unnerving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_ant
Ant mega-colony takes over world

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

acephalousuniverse posted:

Of course the meaning of "revolutionary suicide" as Newton meant it wasn't literal mass suicide, obviously, but it's something to know in understanding the types of things Jones was doing.

The only thing that comes to my mind when I hear "revolutionary suicide" is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUHk2RSMCS8&t=33s

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

Debris moves around at sea quite a lot; there's been cases of navigation buoys carried away by ice from the St Lawrence River popping up a few years later in Ireland or what not.

OK, this is neither scary nor unnerving but I hope it will pass: Friendly Floatees.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

I also have no idea what a durian is, am not rural, and visit Asian markets a few times a year.

It looks like something that should dangle from a chain being swung by the Chief Nazgul. Just GIS "Durian".

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

Their interpretation of Peter laying down his sword is some seriously Air Bud poo poo.

That view held on for a long time; cf. Bishop Odo's holy-water sprinkler.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Nckdictator posted:

Not scary but certainly weird.

Forget Crystal Pepsi, it's all about White Coke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Coke

That sounds like the plot of a Billy Wilder movie.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

From what little I know of the german language, I wouldn't be surprised if their word for butcher did just translate into "literallykillingthingsisliterallytheirjob". You're probably right though.

Deutsches Wörterbuch posted:

Metzger
METZGER 1) slaughterer, butcher (see metzgen 3)
[...]

METZGEN 1) as metzeln 1 and metzen 2, kill, cut down [...] 2 also agonize, torture to death [...] 3 usually, as metzeln 2 and metzen 3, craft expression [...]

So yeah.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Delivery McGee posted:

Back on-topic, and speaking of brain fuckery, psychedelic drugs creep me out. I mean, to each his own, and I hear sometimes it's pretty fun, but personally I don't trust my own subconscious enough to try 'em.

I got a dose of Ketamine once (after a dislocated kneecap). Apparently I reacted so badly to it that they followed it up with some Valium. I only remember the pretty colored lights, and not giving a gently caress about what was happening to me afterwards. That one experience will be enough - I really don't want to take something that can make me not care if I live or die.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

SLOSifl posted:

Also a good description for a prion disease. Misfolded proteins that cause other proteins to spontaneously misfold. They'll spread until they run out of suitable matter to spread through. 'Luckily' that is usually contained to the brain of an individual.

"Usually." Not if someone eats the brain.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

The Monkey Man posted:

They recently increased the statute of limitations on murder... to 25 years. Having one for murder isn't that unusual, though, a bunch of countries in continental Europe have them.

Germany used to have a statute of limitations for murder of 20 years. For Nazi crimes this would have caused the SOL to expire in 1965 (counting from the end of WW2). So the Bundestag first shifted the date from which the SOL was counted to 1949 (founding date of the Federal Republic), then in 1969 they lengthened the SOL to 30 years. The SOL for murder and genocide was finally abolished entirely in 1979.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

I'd recommend Rattus Rex as a fun read, but I think it's out of print.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

drat shame what they did to that cat.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

The doctor does it, reports it to the airline/aviation authorities or whatever.

The note was (probably) from his private physician, who is bound to secrecy. I guess (it's not really clear from the reports) it was just a regular "Arbeitsunfaehigkeitsbescheinigung" (certificate of unfitness for work) which is necessary in Germany to qualify for (paid) sick leave. His doctor may not even have known that he was a pilot (I don't think I ever told my doctor what I do for a living).
Pilots also are subject to examination by AMEs ("Fliegerarzt" in Germany) who issue medical certificates; these are valid for 6-60 months (depending on class of aircraft and age of the pilot).

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

szary posted:

Then the authorities released the actual recordings and it turned out that the actual last words were "FUUUUUCK!!"

I would have expected "KUUUUURWA!" from a Polish pilot.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

If you want something more fictional, you can read this account of how nuclear war might have unfolded in 1988.

Not reading that. I was only 3 years out of (German) army service in 1988. (My unit was one that would have provided communication in place of the EMP-damaged equipment, some distance away from the front, so I might have survived the first week or so.)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

I like how the wiki page notes "The fruit is edible if the stinging hairs that cover it are removed." Some madman looked at this plant that drives animals to kill themselves and thought "Hmm, I wonder if I can eat this thing."

I hope LA Beast doesn't find out about this. :ohdear:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

More than that, you can be convinced that Burger King had playgrounds inside, and that there was no crowd in Tianamen Square, simply by someone showing you doctored photos and asking you to remember the events.

Propaganda and advertising are going to get scary pretty soon.

I'm more scared of my own brain tuning out things like a guy in a gorilla suit.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

aardwolf posted:

It never occurred to me that Terry Pratchett was toning that poo poo down.

Toshers, a Rat Queen and Bazalgette's sewers play major roles in Colin Andrew McLaren's "Rattus Rex" (good luck finding a copy).

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

Jesus yes, a lot of people take for granted that the earth beneath us is solid all the way down.

Even when it is solid, it can still ruin your day (and your house).

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Malignant Hyperthermia posted:

There is mounting evidence that some individuals with malignant hyperthermia susceptibility may develop MH with exercise and/or on exposure to hot environments.

Yeah, so

The Endbringer posted:

PYF unnerving article or story: Get the hell out of the desert

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Phanatic posted:

And don't forget how, even if you escape the initial infection unscathed, it can return 30 years later to take another try at loving you up.

Have you had chickenpox as a child? If so, congratulations, you are now entitled to get shingles later in life. My mother got this about 2 months ago, and although the infection itself is long over, she still suffers from excruciating pain that requires some heavy medication to keep down. This could go on for a few more months, or longer if she's unlucky.

Apparently there is now a vaccine against shingles; I plan to get that because I have no intention to go through what my mum is currently doing.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Pendragon posted:

The vaccine for shingles is only good for about 10 years of protection, and it's a one shot deal: getting another one later offers no protection. Thus , it's best to get it when people are most at risk, which is age 50 to 55.

That leaves me less than 4 years to get it. :corsair:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

It's amazing to look back, and even within the lifetime of many of us here, a criminal could just leave traces of their matter all over the place and the cops could do little with it, but these days you can catch a drop of saliva or flake of skin, and have the exact identity of the person who left it. Amazing times.

Sometimes you can't.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

MissEchelon posted:

Nah they should do it like they did it in the old British colonies, first person to get the death sentence gets to become the executioner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbpUzCFCy_8&t=717s

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Huh, I guess it happens a lot more than I thought. Still wish they would run the person out on a rail though. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

Tarred and feathered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TB_fqF60Q0&t=345s

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Bamabalacha posted:

Hey, a dismembered torso showed up in the dumpster behind a butcher shop a few blocks away from my house last year and I live in Toronto :colbert:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Pick posted:

A man in the Belgian Congo is forced to consider the severed hand and foot of one of his children. He didn't make his quota.

http://www.au-praline.be/producten/?g=13

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Too many hands on that smiley.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

Do yourself a favor and do not read this.

Too late.:cry: That's some Wasp Factory level of horror.

PS Don't read The Wasp Factory either.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Isn't a Wasp Factory a Hive?

In the book, the protagonist has constructed a device out of an old clock that he calls “the wasp factory”. He uses it for divination, by introducing a live wasp in the middle and observing it making its way to one of several (12?) chambers where it will be killed in various ways, like crushing or falling into acid.

This is the least hosed-up thing the protagonist does to animals.

His brother is worse.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7-eurOWxS0&t=495s

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSZs-mF5ARo

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Ariong posted:

???????????????????????????????????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEuT9sePcI4

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Here's something unnerving: based on Dark Tower, it's entirely possible that GRRM dying before completing A Song of Ice and Fire could be the best thing for the series
They'll just get Kevin J. Anderson to finish it.
This is the unnerving story thread after all.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Ataxerxes posted:

After that all death penalties were commuted, by the order of the Tsar, to banishments to Siberia, which, during the Tsarist rule, was not the same as the later Soviet gulags. Numerous Finnish persons were banished, served out their sentences and returned alive.
Russians: Sentencing them to death would make us look bad. Just send them to Siberia for, say, ten years, nobody could survive that.
Finns: Are our ten years up already? Such a shame, now we have to go back into the cold.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Keru posted:

All this discussion of the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki reminded me of the one song that always wrecks me when it comes to these events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9ckznQP2FA

First penned by Ian Campbell of the Ian Campbell Folkband, it's probably best known as the cover recorded by Simon & Garfunkel, but I prefer The Dubliners version.

The way it draws you in as just a nice little summery melody and then sideswipes you in the last verses.

The Sun has come to earth.

Don't worry, you can just
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2UpM8Ci_ao

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

What I'm saying is..Heinlein was a refreshing break.
:psyboom:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Randaconda posted:

starvation is a hell of a motivator

"Remember that shark we buried because it stank? Let’s try digging it up again, maybe it wasn't that bad after all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Scathach posted:

Wait sauerkraut is buried?

Nah. Slice up a bunch of cabbage, put in a big pot layering it with salt, wait until the salt has drawn out enough water, put a plate or wooden lid and some weight on it to prevent it from sticking up into the air. Then just wait.