Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

I helped a guy get weed once who was working as a cameraman for a Scientology led smear campaign against a defector. He wasn't a Scientologist, but he said the money was good, so he took the gig. He freely admitted to being paid to harass the defector and try to get him to make himself look bad on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Dr Scoofles posted:

Am reading this now thanks to your recommendation, it's really drat good! I had a hell of a time getting an ebook version though, nobody would sell me this book, even other countries, turns out UK publishers dropped it because of our libel laws and the CoS being insanely litigious. I could buy a hard copy no problem though *shrug*.
It's available for Kindle

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A9ET54E?cache=cb6bad40a6f100c64f235f575a1abe77&qid=1401515546&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

ninjahedgehog posted:

Got you covered.

Donald Crowhurst and the Teignmouth Electron were discussed briefly in the last thread, which is where I first heard of him, and I've been fascinated by his story ever since.

Basically, in the 60s, a British newspaper sponsored a solo nonstop circumnavigation sailing race, and this guy signed up with next to no sailing experience, mortgaging his house to finance it and basically putting his entire livelihood on the line. It quickly became clear that he wasn't going to make it, so instead of heading home, he hung around in the South Atlantic alone for a few months, doing celestial navigation backwards in order to falsify his journey. The stress, combined with the oppressive loneliness, eventually caused him to go cuckoo bananapants insane and kill himself.

The other contestants in the race are no less fascinating, and there's a documentary on Netlfix called Deep Water that goes into the race far better than I ever could. I can't recommend it enough.

The documentary is good. There is also a book called The Strange Last Voyage Of Donald Crowhurst that is great, if you find the case interesting and would like more info. While the book is more detailed, it doesn't really show what a heel Crowhurst's agent/press man was like the documentary did. But it is more detailed in other ways. I recommend them both. The contrast between Crowhurst and the other contestants is stark as can be.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Zebb_Quinn

One of the more maddening disappearances to read about because you know someone knows more than they're letting on.

GAPO has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Sep 6, 2014

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

FrozenVent posted:

Did you read the part of the article where they specifically addressed those issues?

I mean if you want to get pedantic about it, all they claim to have proven is that a shawl with the blood of someone who shares mitochondrial DNA with the victim also has mitochondrial DNA compatible with one of the suspect in the original investigation on it.

Don't know if it'd hold up in a court of law (Ahahaha no it wouldn't) but circumstantially, it seems pretty strong.

Chain of possession is murky at best. As much as I'd like this to be true, everyone here is skeptical with good reason.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

What I find more interesting is the people who claim to be uncaught serial killers. Earlier this year, a man confessed to being the Zodiac Killer. Of course, this was not the first time.. This article goes into greater detail, as an interview with a guy who runs a site acting as a repository for information on Zodiac.

Keep in mind, when reading zodiackiller.com, that it's webmaster has often been accused of advancing ridiculous pet theories in an effort to drive traffic to his for-profit site.

GAPO has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Sep 7, 2014

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

pienipple posted:

The advances in extracting usable information from such elderly evidence is pretty neat tho.

For sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp
Read up on what Goetz's victims got up to in the years following the shooting. Makes him seem a lot less crazy. Heck, at the time of the Goetz trial, one of the shooting victims, James Ramseur, was already incarcerated for robbing, raping and sodomizing a pregnant woman.

GAPO has a new favorite as of 06:05 on Nov 4, 2014