Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Live firing test range I am guessing. Possibly for bombers and long range artillery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

13Pandora13 posted:

^^^ Whoa dude https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdSyx13l5E0

My memory of the timeline on this isn't great, but wasn't the controversy that he was the last driver not wearing a full face helmet, not that he didn't wear HANS? I feel like HANS wasn't a widespread thing until post-Earnhardt death, like it was still relatively new in NASCAR and not super widely used yet.

I think it was the HANS as he felt it would slow him down and it was determined he probably would have survived if he had been wearing it as he died of the exact injury it is designed to prevent. After his death pretty much all racing series declared they were mandatory. I think in F1 it was the drivers who asked that it be in the rules as if it was not compulsory no one would wear it as not having it could give you a slight speed edge.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Patattack posted:

I mean, Occam's razor. What's more likely, that they're phone theives trying to cover their tracks, or that all different brands/carriers of phone just happen to erroneously direct to one place?

Most phone makers apparently rely on the one company to provide data for the location services. If their database is wrong it will effect everyone.
In another thread where this popped up I guessed it is the previous occupants wireless AP is what the phone is basing the location on and the location services haven't updated the location of that device yet.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

That sucks. If you had kept it you could have fried it and tossed it onto someone's order of calamari when they weren't looking.

What do you think his mother did with it?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Chichevache posted:

What are the odds a third terrible tragedy takes place there this Summer?

I thought this was the third.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

A Spider Covets posted:

I don't read the comments sections, but thankfully all articles + quotes therein have been sympathetic to the parents so far. Just a terrible, tragic accident that could have happened to anyone.

That is the thing isn't it? Just today I took my three year old to a river and stood there with him as he splashed on the edge in his gumboots, threw stones and sticks in to the water to make a splash and all the things a pre-schooler does on a Sunday afternoon at the river with his family. At one point I realised just how similar it was for that family in Orlando and I was thankful to live in a country without crocodiles etc.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I think satellite phones are simply too expensive for most casual use. But EPIRBS are relatively cheap and around here you can hire one for a week or so for about $50 from the local park wardens.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Compared to normal Australian wildlife a scared angry cat is pretty tame and cuddly.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

What evidence did they have for it?

Sounds like he didn't outright deny it.

Wasn't there a credible theory for DB Cooper for some guy with parachute training and experience who died a month or two later. I think it was in one of these threads. Idea was he stashed the cash and was waiting for the heat to die down but was killed before he could retrieve it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is as if neither side actually wants to win this one.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Sometimes, in the case of a powerful elected official, a perp walk and a mugshot are the best we can hope for.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

There is also this from reddit.
https://m.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/5c91gd/comment/d9ul89f

quote:

They (4chan /pol/, /r/the_donald) saw this email which has this image (named pizza.jpg) attached and jumped to Podesta/Clinton are involved in a sex cult/child trafficking and this image is showing off the "goods." They see the "doesn't get any better than this" as referring to the little girl.

This is related to Bill Clinton saving the two women in this photo from North Korea. The image in question is of Laura Ling and Euna Lee and a daughter belonging to one of them eating pizza together. What they mean is that their jobs don't get any better than reuniting a family by saving people from North Korea. Apparently they were sent this photo after the fact and shared it amongst themselves.

Here's another photo of them getting off the plane from North Korea and seeing the daughter and the husband.

They turned the Clintons using their influence to save journalists from North Korea and reuniting a family at the end of it into the Clintons are involved in child trafficking.

They then decided that all pizza related words in the emails are code for child trafficking and continued digging and came up with other innocuous things and construed them similarly, connected it all together.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is only worth it if you need steel made before nuclear weapons were detonated on this planet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

It is a bit unnerving how much the planet was affected by the rush to build and test bigger and bigger nuclear weapons.

Varkk has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Nov 17, 2016

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Troposphere posted:

this series of events from the r/relationships thread is pretty goddamn unnerving and sad

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792330&perpage=40&pagenumber=158#post466762446

Read through the initial post, then the last update clicked on the linked news article and gently caress! That is simply horrible.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

If you read Feynman's book "Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman"
You will find out the military leadership at Los Alamos at the time was even worse. Actually everyone should read that book. It is an enjoyable read.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Wasn't there some DNA found on her body which did not come from a family member? There has been no one linked to that DNA so far.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Speaking of unnerving Australian things in the news. The father of Azaria Chamberlain has passed away. She was previously discussed in this thread as she was the baby girl and taken and killed by dingos in the early 1980s.
He and his a wife were convicted of her murder before being later exonerated.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The other thing with forensics is the experts say (or should be saying) things like: the results are consistent with the suspect being the offender. Or even they don't not show he did it. But prosecutors and jurors hear "He did it because *SCIENCE*" :science:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The article said it was partially chewed so yeah he was munching it and the munching a whole lot more. Unless he had anal dentata but I am sure that would have been noted by the doctor.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

In the papers here they were saying he was probably going to be suspended when the full accident report came out. However it has been delayed and delayed due to workload issues at the Australian civil aviation authority. I think they said the near miss was because a positioning device in the cockpit was not functional meaning he got closer to the other craft than he should have without getting a warning.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Pendragon posted:

While I cried reading that article not long after my kids were born, I'm glad I read it. One time when one of my kids was sick, I took both of them to daycare but only dropped one of them off, taking the other home with me. As I was pulling away from daycare, I realized this was the perfect time for me to completely forget about the other guy in the back seat because it was a change from my normal routine of going home and just starting work. I stuck my cellphone in the car door handle as a reminder to take the little guy out.

Still a haunting article though. Christ....

I read that just after my son was born. As a result I got in the habit of putting his bag etc in the passenger seat when in the car with him and if I drive alone to work I put my stuff in the back seat so I am in the habit of getting things out of the back seat.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is the new Jenkem huffing satanic panic

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Pick posted:

never worked for a professor have you

Probably just assumed a grad student would come in and clean it all up for him.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

A young well to do white woman had substance abuse/addiction become mitigating factors in her sentencing. I can't help but feel a poor black male would have that count as an aggravating factor at sentencing time.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah standard for any testing is to ask about any medication and get documentation for it. At our work you would still fail the screening test and are stood down(on full pay) while the official results come back.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

One of the cases covered in this thread may have had a killer identified.
The Brabant killers in Belgium conducted a series of armed robberies in the Early 1980s. A former policeman apparently confessed to being part of the gang shortly before he died.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/98167835/crazy-killer-confession-may-help-solve-30yearold-belgian-mystery

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Sounds like she had a breakdown. Sadly no one noticed until far too late.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Happens everywhere you have working parents driving young children to daycare.
I remember reading that article just after my son was born. I got in the habit of putting my things in his child seat if I drove to work without him and putting his gear in the passenger seat.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

For a prime example of differing opinions of forensic evidence look in to the Lundy murders in NZ
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lundy_murders

Back story a man goes out of town on business. Comes home to find his wife and daughter brutally murdered. He is convicted of the crimes. Appeals, granted a retrial, second trial finds him guilty. In the first trial they presented evidence the murders happened at a particular time. Second trial proposes new time of death. Also in the second trial it is alleged a stain on his shirt is from human brain or spinal tissue. Defense argues the analysis was flawed and was actually from a sheep. Probably from a sausage had eaten earlier. I don’t think that particular method has been used in any other criminal trial.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I think that she had been, but Google realised no advertiser wanted to be associated with her brand of crazy. They then demonetised her videos causing her to not make money and go off the deep end.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yikes, I hope you complained to the school for giving out your personal details like that. Situations like that are why all organisations need to have strict policies around personal details and contact information.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Wasn’t it reported that the area they camped had an interesting acoustic property. That when the wind blew a particular way it created an unnerving sound with the way it echoed around. The thoughts were it was that which spooked them and then hypothermia and panic set in leading to the tragic events.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How is this not about Jordan Peterson?

Because he is recognising his flaws and working to overcome them.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

joxxuh posted:

Those two year olds are exceptionally athletic for their age

Well they do a lot of mental gymnastics in his head all day.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I think his family were upset with him for saying it might be his grandfather. They wouldn’t talk to the FBI so there was as nothing else for them to look into.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

David Farrier, of Tickled fame, once joined an expedition looking for this. I think he was making a documentary about it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Those photos were posted in GBS back in the day. It was a thread warning of the dangers of driving too aggressively.
Story attached said the driver had argued with her mother before stealing her father’s car. Then crashed in to the toll booth.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Pick posted:

Can anyone spoiler text a desc of the photos? Not the photos.

I believe this thread already covered the term “Injuries incompatible with life”.

When driving, take it easy and drive to the conditions. Don’t drive angry.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

We didn’t have that. But a few years before I started a student tried to show off on his motorbike outside the school. He lost control and hit a brick wall and died. There was a patch of brickwork on the wall that didn’t match the rest of it. Probably intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

AlbieQuirky posted:

but it's such an endlessly tedious series of police fuckups and not really caring about poor sex workers and newspapers trying to get the hot story.

So gently caress all has really changed between
Victorian England and now.