Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Literally Kermit posted:

Of course, a military plane abandoned because of a split second decision is one thing, but at least it's not, say, a jet piloted by the dead or anything.

NEXT EFFORTPOST: A LEARJET PILOTED BY FROZEN CORPSES :unsmigghh:

I'm looking forward to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Instead, Darwin specialized in finches cracking nuts. He was an odd duck, ol' Charlie.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

It wasn't 99rooms was it? http://cdn.99rooms.com/99rooms.html

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Don Gato posted:

Neptune's Inferno by the same author is also good, its about the naval battles off of Guadalcanal. The creepiest part is that it is filled with survivors accounts and follows individuals on their doomed ships, both US side and IJN side.

Did you know that fires can get hot enough to ignite paint rooms away from the actual fire? The crew of the USS Astoria found that out the hard way. Being on the receiving end of a ship's broadside is like something out of a horror movie.

I remember watching a documentary about the Falklands War and a survivor of the HMS Sheffield being hit by an Exocet recounts himself trying to get out of the inferno and reaching up to climb a ladder and watching in horror as his skin just sort of fluttered around his hands in the breeze, because the skin had basically been burned loose.

Wish I could remember the documentary it was, I'm sure I'm misremembering a lot, but that particular moment stays.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Randaconda posted:

lol if you aren't lich posting

lol if you don't have Enlichque posting for you.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

In the case of an emergency, remember to Remain Indoors

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

All this discussion of the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki reminded me of the one song that always wrecks me when it comes to these events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9ckznQP2FA

First penned by Ian Campbell of the Ian Campbell Folkband, it's probably best known as the cover recorded by Simon & Garfunkel, but I prefer The Dubliners version.

The way it draws you in as just a nice little summery melody and then sideswipes you in the last verses.

The Sun has come to earth.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Apparently someone stole a plane at SeaTac earlier and flew it around before crashing it. Not like a small one either.

https://twitter.com/drbmbdgty/status/1028130383911501824

How the hell does someone get to the cockpit, and not just that also get it off the ground? Commercial jets aren't exactly easy to get going.

Keru has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Aug 11, 2018

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

I just hope there weren't any passengers on it, I've seen mentions of an employee at the airport, but nothing more solid than 'we think it was an airplane mechanic'.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Jedit posted:

I have bad news: while most of this translates to human women, human women are not satisfied with a three inch dick.

Thank you for sharing your struggles, friend

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Piloted by a ravioliator.

I love that Depeche Mode album

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Jedit posted:

We're getting a real time addition to the thread: four hours ago a Singaporean cargo ship lost power setting out from Baltimore and collided with the Francis Scott Key Bridge, completely destroying it. The ship regained power just before the collision and you can see it trying to turn, but it was too late. Luckily - ha - it was 1.30am local so there are only about 20 people missing, mostly maintenence workers I believe. Seriously bad poo poo.

The ship crew also got word in to stop traffic on the bridge, so it could've been so much worse.

It looks really slow, but in reality that's a ship that comes in at just above 100,000 tons unladen, add on the cargo and you're creeping up on 200,000 tons hitting a bridge.

Even at low speed, that is a LOT of mass and I'm not at all surprised it took out the bridge entirely. To steal a quote I saw on twitter "The thing you put in front of ships that size to stop them is called "land"", because people were claiming it was a fault of the bridge design, like that mattered.

Naturally, idiots are coming out of the woodwork to give their conspiracy takes.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

I've already seen some of the "takes" from the crowd of malignant tumors, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

ah yes, because of course the bridge would just... bounce the container ship away with it's Pure Whiteness Aura if the mayor wasn't black?