Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Zorblack posted:

You employed the exact same sorcery you employ EVERY GODDAMN WEEK IN THE GOON GOLF TOURNEY. Seriously, how do you be so good? Also, where is this new Castle Tournament?

It is part of the world tournament. You had to qualify for it.

E: I haven't figured out how these tournament greens work. Can anyone lend insight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

abraham linksys posted:

this motherfucker is shaking me down for 10k coins for each and I only have 20k total after beating the tournaments and like half the challenges, is there a good way to grind coins?

Walk around with your DS and exchange play coins for money?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Confirming that putting a few hours into doing every single tournament you can will over time get you like hundreds of thousands of coins. Placed 127 out of America on one of the first tournaments and got 36k.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is there a trick to estimating how backspin will effect the ball? I never know whether it will roll back a bit or reverse direction and shoot back like 20 feet (or for hitting with woods, whether it barely slows the ball down or causes it to immediately stop). I'm also not sure whether spin actually does anything when the ball first hits the ground or only once it catches on fire.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 18, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is there a trick to estimating how backspin will effect the ball? I never know whether it will roll back a bit or reverse direction and shoot back like 20 feet (or for hitting with wedges, whether it barely slows the ball down or causes it to immediately stop). I'm also not sure whether spin actually does anything when the ball first hits the ground or only once it catches on fire.

Depends on what club you're using; I'm dumb and can never remember which is which, but some clubs drop the ball straight down on the green, so backspin will send it rocketing backwards but the other clubs send the ball shooting forward so if you backspin you'll just end up stopping the ball close to its original impact point.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Woods tend to have flatter trajectories while irons have more loft, hybrids are sort of in between. Also the number of the club reflects how sharp the angle of the head is within that category of club. Elevation and wind have can have an impact too. You can also adjust the trajectory quite a bit manually by moving your impact point up or down. Essentially though the flatter the trajectory the ball has when it lands the more forward momentum that'll be imparted to it and the further it'll carry.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
About 6 or 7 iron and lower will cause the ball to start going backwards with regular backspin I believe. It also slightly depends on how high your character's trajectory is.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Hey dudes,

Made my first tournament. It's at Wiggler Park. I didn't allow Miis or that bottom row of characters. I, uh... haven't unlocked them yet.

play play play
52-2096-2277-4380

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

zfleeman posted:

Made my first tournament. It's at Wiggler Park.

My least favorite course :saddowns:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

abraham linksys posted:

The one-on one-putt challenge is bullshit, the fact that you have to talk to laiktu to restart it EVERY GODDAMN TIME YOU FAIL just rubs in how awful I am, and gently caress you thread for convincing me to buy this game :mad:

this is like my own personal Dark Souls

e: gently caress

e2: MADE IT TO HOLE 6 SUCK MY DICK CAMELOT

Yeah man it really is bullshit that it takes you 200 years to restart the drat thing. I couldn't really enjoy the game until I beat the first 1o1p challenge, and ever since I did I feel drat satisfied because of it. It sucks some serious dick, but it's totally worth it for that CLOUD 9 feeling you'll get when you get through it. I still haven't gotten any mulligans from Kamek because I keep forgetting about that poo poo, call it tunnel vision. 1o1p will get you drat good at controlling backspin and judging wind though so it's totally worth the FUCKTHISHIT-ness.

TenaciousJ posted:

I cannot remember exactly how many coins I've made from the online tournaments, but I do remember each gold trophy netting me more than 15k. Silvers are a respectable 4 digit number, iirc.

E: 53k for gold on Calloway 1 :stare:

Hell yeah, online tourneys get you some serious cashola. I got 60k+ from the first Calloway one with a gold prompting me to go on a mad buy everything spree just because I could. I like that one in particular because not a lot of people I play with play with anything other than straight, and that tourney forces you to use the Calloway gear, which I pretty much use anyway.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Are the mulligans one and done or once per course?

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Finally played through the Castle Tournament. Those greens are loving weird. They make your ball bounce more so your approach shots roll way farther than intended, yet they're also adhesive for some reason so your putts end up slow and applying any amount of Backspin is a huge risk of the ball just rolling back off onto the fringe.

I actually would land my ball on the edge of the rough just outside the green and hope that kills enough momentum that the ball wouldn't just roll entirely off the green on my approach shots.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MR. J posted:

Finally played through the Castle Tournament. Those greens are loving weird. They make your ball bounce more so your approach shots roll way farther than intended, yet they're also adhesive for some reason so your putts end up slow and applying any amount of Backspin is a huge risk of the ball just rolling back off onto the fringe.

I actually would land my ball on the edge of the rough just outside the green and hope that kills enough momentum that the ball wouldn't just roll entirely off the green on my approach shots.
I'm not looking forward to the major that takes place on the mountain course cause that surface on those greens will be a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

homeless snail posted:

I'm not looking forward to the major that takes place on the mountain course cause that surface on those greens will be a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Backspin is your friend on Tournament Greens, especially when the green slopes down from the back of the hole. Aim for the pin, then backspin it into the slope, which will reduce how far the ball travels.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

Teddybear posted:

Are the mulligans one and done or once per course?

Once you use one, it's gone until you buy another one, even if you use it and still fail whatever challenge you needed it for.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

PSA: The Star Pack is now out.
2nd PSA: Mario's Star is Golf Hell. Rough, bunkers and rock everywhere. Greens the size of tacks. Layouts designed to give out OB's like candy. Abandon all hope all ye who enter here.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
As long as it feels like I'm playing golf to a Super Mario Galaxy reskin I don't really care.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

drat, just as I was getting ready to give up hopes on purchasing the DLC for this game, you all tell me about a Mario Galaxy-themed course?

:homebrew:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

zfleeman posted:

drat, just as I was getting ready to give up hopes on purchasing the DLC for this game, you all tell me about a Mario Galaxy-themed course?

:homebrew:

It's a reskin of Mario's Star from the N64 version.

Judging by his words, it appears to be much like the original Mario's Star. :getin:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I was bored and restless tonight so I decided to play some Mario Golf for a bit. I saw the America closest to pin challenge was done in 8 hours, and I wanted to see if I could best my 118 I got a few days ago. The chill cat in my lap must have done the trick, because I can now go to sleep feeling like a machine.

It's nothing too obscene and I'm only ranked 250 something in the US, just the fact I didn't shank any of them (brings back pissed off 1o1p memories) rocks.

-- And of course I ride my high right into a gigantic ego destroyer when I shank it hard at on hole 16 of this tournament damnit hah.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 19, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Roluth posted:

Abandon all hope all ye who enter here.

Here, have a tournament...

Retro Goons F: 21-5693-2609-0452

Mario's Star, Strong Wing, No Flight Path, No Star Characters or Miis, Tourney Tees, Coins on. Runs for 5 days from right now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Doing pretty alright with Birdie's on Mario's Star, what's not alright is Rosalina apparently.

Camera zoomed in on her eye but the visuals bugged out and she was just in a T-position floating in space for a moment before the actual animation kicked back in.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Tyson Tomko posted:

I was bored and restless tonight so I decided to play some Mario Golf for a bit. I saw the America closest to pin challenge was done in 8 hours, and I wanted to see if I could best my 118 I got a few days ago. The chill cat in my lap must have done the trick, because I can now go to sleep feeling like a machine.

It's nothing too obscene and I'm only ranked 250 something in the US, just the fact I didn't shank any of them (brings back pissed off 1o1p memories) rocks.

-- And of course I ride my high right into a gigantic ego destroyer when I shank it hard at on hole 16 of this tournament damnit hah.

I shot an 85 feet my first and only try the other day. It was insane. I still have not completed the 1 on 1 putt challenge (the first one!) yet. Someday..

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

For anyone that feels like attempting the Coin challenges for the Star Pack courses: don't. You get absolutely nothing after 100 Star/Moon coins, so you can save yourself a lot of trouble and frustration.
Don't be like me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

Here, have a tournament...

Retro Goons F: 21-5693-2609-0452

Mario's Star, Strong Wing, No Flight Path, No Star Characters or Miis, Tourney Tees, Coins on. Runs for 5 days from right now.
You are a real motherfucker FYI.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

The Double Bogey animation on Rosalina is fantastic! :allears:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The star pack is fantastic, best of the season pass. Rosalina is super cool, Rock Candy Mines is a ton of fun and Mario Star is loving sadistic. Now I'm sad there are no more courses to look forward to though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

For a fade golfer that hits rather far, Rosalina hits the ball rather high (most fade golfers tend to be on the low side of shot height). She's one of my more used golfers in the game after downloading her for sure (though Luigi, Kamek, and Bowser top her in terms of golfers I use more).

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
What happened to the goon league? Now the thread is locked and no new tournaments were posted this week.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Zorblack posted:

What happened to the goon league? Now the thread is locked and no new tournaments were posted this week.

Thread is locked?

I'm new, does this mean anything?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

MR. J posted:

I just ran though this tournament and golfed a -4 on a course I normally pull at least a -14 on.

Those greens can suck my dick.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I golfed a -13 and spent the last hour tearing my hair off because I can't for the life of me shave off one more stupid loving stroke for gold!

I guess I'll just have to settle for silver :smith:
That F-ZERO fucker is a real goddamn piece of work, scoring -26 or so. How the gently caress is that even possible?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

MR. J posted:

That F-ZERO fucker is a real goddamn piece of work, scoring -26 or so. How the gently caress is that even possible?

Yeah that drat Castle course. I'd get to a -8 or -9 then choke on a hole and get a double bogey, making me rage quit. That F-Zero dude gets insanely high scores insanely quick too. It's been said about 20,000 times, but mannnnnnnnnn I wish tournament plays could be limited to 1 to 3 or something. I've got a feeling that guy just grinds it to the point of knowing exactly where each shot should go exactly, exactly what power/spin, and probably writes them down in a spiral bound notebook complete with angles and trajectories.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
The castle tournament was ugly. Looking forward to seeing my 5-digit ranking number.

In the meantime, here's a straightforward tourney for you all. On the underused Yoshi Lake course.

09-1268-0587-3768
Yoshi Lake
9 Holes
Back tees, normal wind, flightpath ON
No items or coins
Mii only

Open until June 1st. Yay.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

Open until June 1st. Yay.

You're about 26 days too late :iamafag:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Tyson Tomko posted:

I wish tournament plays could be limited to 1 to 3 or something.
Yeah it would balance things out so much better. You don't see the PGA allowing unlimited attempts at a round.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Seriously kills my desire to even try online at all. For everything they did right in this game, that one flaw ruins any semblance of fair competition online. Even in a small community tourney like SA you're going to get that no-lifer that plays 10+ times for first.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I'm having a hard time going back to normal greens after that awful Castle tournament. They messed up my short game horribly.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Bottom Liner posted:

Seriously kills my desire to even try online at all. For everything they did right in this game, that one flaw ruins any semblance of fair competition online. Even in a small community tourney like SA you're going to get that no-lifer that plays 10+ times for first.

I agree to a certain extent. There would still be some ways around it if there was a limit, say by having more than 1 3DS for example, or studying videos of people playing or something. If that were the case, if someone is crazy enough to buy more than 1 for this I'd be cool with it just because. Or how about this as a pretty elegant solution that could probably be implemented pretty easily...have the wind randomized and not the exact same every time!

That being said, online play is still fun and the tourneys are still fun (and profitable) because 90% of the people playing are average at best or below. Sure the top 5-10% can be insane no-lifers but if they want to get their epeen -60 score than so be it, I'm still drat happy when I pull a < 300 rank in anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What's up with this spotpass? Something about new tournament gear. Didn't notice anything new but there is already a shitload of items on those menus to deal with.

• Locked thread