Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dynamic Cloth Technology
This poll is closed.
Dynamic 18 18.56%
Cloth 58 59.79%
Technology 21 21.65%
Total: 97 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Are they gonna code the hockey stick this time? Or is it gonna stay purely cosmetic? (IE: If I skate through someone's stick, I actually knock the stick as opposed to literally skating through it.)

"Cloth technology" was extremely misleading. I thought they were gonna re-vamp the playoff rally towels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

soggybagel posted:

I expect goaltending to be slightly more dynamic.

The only thing goalie is missing is the ability to hold the right trigger not-all-the-way down so the goalie will put one pad to the post vs stacking to one side completely. (And obviously make it so if you squeeze the trigger all the way, the goalie will stack the post, completely.)

If they can add that, they'll never have to update the goalie again, IMO.

cname fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 15, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

xzzy posted:

They should go full on stupid and make the goalie control like a game of QWOP. Left thumbstick controls left hand, right is right hand. Left trigger is left leg extension, right is right. Use the opposite bumper to dig an edge into the ice so you can push across the crease.

*Does a jumping jack or cartwheel in efforts to block the puck*

I miss Mutant League Hockey goal-tending. One of the save animation sequences was your goalie literally falling face first, flat on the ice, like a plank, with his arms at his sides. Had a one in 50 chance at working.

cname fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 16, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Zip! posted:

Having auto cover when the puck is sitting 3" away from your pads and you can't see it until you slide your goalie out of the net

The thing that pisses me off about covering the puck is the fact that it has to be that stupid fall and sprawl animation, every goddamn time.

The puck will be 1 foot away, where the goalie could just reach his hand over and cover it up. Instead, he has to flop around in order to get his entire body on top of it.

Can my goalie just move his right arm, instead of sending his entire body over there?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
EA owns the rights to all major sports leagues. At this point, I'd rather play Generic Hockey 2014: Red vs Blue edition than give EA more money, year after year.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
As long as it's not EA Sports, I'd totally play KHL15.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

soggybagel posted:

It's one of those things that I think has to be in the game and Ill watch it once in a while but yeah, just mash a to get past it most of the time.

As an internet scrub, I greatly enjoy all of the cut-scenes, even if you don't. As you angrily mash X from your armchair, you can rest assured that I'm comfortably unemployed, undereducated and have all the time in the world to experience everything EA Sports has to offer.

Am I simply unaware that you can skip cut-scenes/replays? Am I too busy treating my mother like a kitchen wench? The world may never know.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 6, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I always thought "gameplay trailer" meant there would be actual gameplay in the trailer.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

ThinkTank posted:

did EA actually watch a hockey game on TV before they decided this was a good idea?

Every time I play NHL14 I ask myself "Has anyone from EA ever seen a hockey game?"

Duke Chin posted:

Never buy the season pass.

B-b-but I need to play OTP before everyone else! I've got my poop sock ready for power leveling! My guild club is gonna grind scrubs during the season pass, early access week. Then when the week is over and all the plebs have access, we can have a leg up on the competition and make it to legend 3 before everyone else! I mean, I could just pay a Chinaman, but I'm a real gamer.

My toon...
Easton +6 stam gloves of vitality
Koho +2 shooting crit stick
T2 Bauer boots of skating
+4 Def Awareness int dynamic cloth jock strap

WTT +2 Angles blocker for RC (rebound control) glove of catching.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 10, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I honest to god hope they're focusing on graphical concepts to avoid saying "We're just gonna fix 14."

Sure, gently caress it, take my $65 and give me a fixed NHL 14 with not-so-updated rosters. Seriously, just please, actually fix it.

In reality, it's just gonna be

sba posted:

NHL 14 with better different graphics.

cname fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 10, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
All I care about is EA making it so you can't play that stupid game where you skate just fast enough to move yet just slow enough to not be impacted by hits, while dangling all over the place as you move in elaborate circles.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh god, that loving article! Passing feels nerfed?! Really?! Just what every OTP scrub needs! More incentive to hog the puck. "Defense felt mostly as it has, in the past." Fan-loving-tastic. I get to keep bumping the puck carrier only to have him skate by, unscathed. I'm sure figure skating is here to stay. Basically: "a couple of things to note: a good deal of the hits now put the hitter down to one knee"

*Skates circles in the defensive zone, zig-zags through the neutral zone, shrugs off every bump, gets hit head on but your player goes down, spins around in front of the net a few times, top-shelf/glove side goal.*

I'm sure we're in for more figure skating, poke checking, lame-duck defending, blue line pileups, "physics" goals, and not being able to keep the puck in the zone, because my defender doesn't know how to play the boards.

Manual goal-tending is still the same.

:suicide:

cname fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 12, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
The only appropriate celebration is to shove the stick up your rear end and swing your arm around in circles.

That's how EA could redeem themselves, IMO. Even if they left all the annoying bullshit from 14, I'd be happy to shell out another $65 to see an entire team riding their sticks around, swinging their arms in circles.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 12, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

ThinkTank posted:

NHL 2K5 had defense done right, and yet a decade later EA is still trying to figure it out. Holding the left trigger and moving the right stick allowed you to wave your stick around however you wanted to cut off passing lanes, etc. Why has EA not just used that idea? Even if Sega has a patent on it, it's probably a useful one to buy because it's such a huge improvement to the defensive side of things.

Ugh, this would be so awesome. That's sorta how it works in regular IRL hockey. Nobody actually poke-checks by jabbing their stick out (or better yet: POKEPOKEPOKEPOKEPOKE!) You sorta get your stick out there, flail around a little and try to disrupt the puck/other player's stick.

As always, perhaps Ramjagsingh should watch a hockey game.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 12, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Teeter posted:

I believe you can hold poke check down to make right stick a modifier for where you want to wave your stick around, however it's mostly a gimmick and puts you at a disadvantage compared to just not pressing a button. Is it telling that the best way to defend many situations in the game is to do nothing and hope things work out?

Yes, of course it's a joke, because they didn't make it so you could skate and move your stick around, at the same time. IE: I am completely unable to poke check while skating forward. Likewise for stick handling.

Also STOP ADDING "VISION" TO SPORTS GAMES! STOP IT! It's the dumbest loving concept ever. For one thing, I'm capable of moving my eyeballs and/or neck. Just because I can't make direct eye contact with the puck carrier behind my back, doesn't mean I'm clueless as to where he is!

I get it, the concept makes sense in theory, but there is no way in hell EA Sports can accurately replicate the way looking at things works. Human vision is not a slow-rotating cone FFS.

Basically...

-I can't skate and stick handle/chew gum at the same time.
-I'm an infant or animal with a bite cone around my neck. What I cannot see simply doesn't exist.

cname fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 12, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Ginette Reno posted:

I still want to know what retard thought it was a good idea to allow players to pin themselves into the boards as an effective way to avoid forecheckers. If a defenseman or forward saw a forechecker coming and decided to pin themselves to the boards in real hockey they'd get literally murdered, they wouldn't have some magic forcefield which prevents being turned into a paraplegic. Also it's excessively annoying how the computer cheats and just locks on and pins you into the boards whenever you're even close - even if they're at an angle where it should be impossible to do so.

I love how this is a thing, yet I can't pin myself into the boards to keep the puck inside the blue line/stop pucks coming from along the boards passes.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Yes, they've "changed" the menus, but have they actually removed the server queries which make it slow? Notice how navigating the menus without internet is 10x faster than when you're connected.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
That shabbily translated article is 10x more clear and informative than EA's buzzwordy taglines and quotes.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I actually only play 1v1 online versus :smug:

I don't know, I guess I just don't share the constant pessimism that you guys do.

You've never skated directly through the puck, multiple times in a row, in a failed effort to regain possession?

You've never once shouted "JUST PUT YOUR loving STICK ON THE PUCK! YOUR RIGHT loving THERE! ITS IN FRONT OF YOU!" at the TV, in frustration?

You've never had perfect passes bounce off the person you were trying to pass to?

Really?

cname fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 30, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

xzzy posted:

Happens all the time with beginner skaters, so obviously it's a realistic behavior in a game designed to simulate the best hockey players in the world.

My mistake, so which button do I hold to keep my stick on the ice? :ironicat:

I love how there's actually a button to hug the boards with the puck between your feet. Like, you don't get stapled against the boards, oh no no, not how it works! First, you elect to press yourself up against the boards. Then someone from the other team also must elect to press himself up against you, thus pinning you to the boards.

I'm just pessimistic, though.

Edit: It's these drat menials and their wussy, boomer parents who promote soft, cupcake coaches! The folks at EA Sports didn't have the advantage of growing up with an alcoholic coach who would literally duct tape the player's hands to their stick and make them do a push up for every second they skated with their stick off the ice, during practice.

cname fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 30, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
No, he would just count them up/yell out "THAT'S ANOTHER 10 PUSHUPS!" or some poo poo then completely forget who had x number of pushups, so we would just go home without doing any.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
:allears: Remember when gameplay trailers featured a guy going over everything that's been updated as he actually plays the game? Then it cuts in and out to demonstrations of the way things used to work vs the way it works now?

Allow me to demonstrate what I believe the entire world would be happy with...

if only posted:

-So in all previous NHL games, the goalie could either hug the post tight or stand in normal position. This made it next to impossible to transition from wrap arounds to passes in front of the net. We've added a 3rd option so when you hold the "post hug" trigger, without holding it all the way down, the goalie puts one pad to the post, without fully hugging it. We now have 4 goalie positions. Stand/hug post, crouch/hug post, partial post hug and regular butterfly."

-Instead of having a dedicated button to pin someone up against the boards, you'll now be able to use the right stick to tie up/staple a player into the boards. Pushing the right stick as far as it will go will result in a body check. Players will need to decide weather they wish to slam the opponet by pushing the stick all the way or take the safe route by only using a little bit of right stick to bump, tie up or pin the player into the boards.

We believe that this will bring added realism to "digging for the puck."

-Since we've freed up Y/Triangle, we've made it so Y/Triangle acts as a standing pass/shot block. Unlike R1 which causes the player to crouch, in order to block a shot, Y/Triangle will make it so the player puts his stick on the ice and closes his feet together. We believe that this will make blue line defense much more practical.

-New Dynamic Puck Technology so you will no longer see passes bounce off the receiver's skates. Players will reach for the puck if they are within distance. Players will also automatically pivot and face towards the puck.

So there you go, EA Sports. Just somethin I whipped up just for laughs. If you would like to hire me my email is starwars420@aol.com

cname fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 11, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Rutkowski posted:

I think the issue is that EA hasn't contacted the artists, Marty had to contact EA himself.

LOL @ The thought of a professional hockey player who is in the game having to go to Game Stop, pay $65 for a game they're part of (after being asked if they'd like to pre-order Call of Duty: Dogge) call up EA Sports, go through an automated customer service system, wait on hold for greater than 1 hour and finally get some Indian guy named Jimmy who "appreciates your concerns."

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Just puck physics = Eeeehhhhh

Puck physics + collision improvements would at least give me some hope, as long as "Make it so passing isn't loving retarded" is amongst the to-do list items.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
/\ NO! I want the center! NO! The defenseman is already back, I want the center because I need a 3rd defender! NO!!! FOR THE 18TH loving TIME PRESSING RIGHT TRIGGER I WANT THE CENTER! THE CENTER NEEDS TO BACKCHECK! PLEASE CENTER, PLEASE! Anddddd he scored...

Pleads posted:

0:18 - Dallas #33 shows "bump into a dude, fall to knees" animation is still in, no live physics.

HOW?! HOW HAVE THEY IGNORED THIS poo poo! This fucksense is 95% of why OTP matches are boring as poo poo. You can totally tell where the puck carrier is gonna skate and plan accordingly. You line it up and dash towards him at breakneck speed! You hold the right stick in his direction, prepare for impact and *fart noise* the skater slows down to avoid the hit, you fall to your knees and he takes the puck right around you.

:suicide:

This is the #1 issue, IMO. This issue alone makes figure skating possible and ruins any chance of realistic-ish hockey because everyone knows they can win by skating around in slow circles. You can literally skate slow enough to not get hit. :psyduck: So loving cool! Another year of chasing slow moving Crosby around in circles.

Oh, and the goalie is still incapable of putting one pad to the post, while standing. You have to stack the corner with both legs or leave it wide open. No middle-ground.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 17, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

ThinkTank posted:

So long as it keeps making money hand over fist (which it will) he keeps his job. He's very good at making money which is why he's employed.

That's like saying the only doctor in Uganda is good at selling malaria pills.

Destiny looks the same as that Dust (Eve) game for PS3. I have a bunch of not-sports games that never get played.

cname fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 25, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I wonder if "vision AI" equates to puck getting AI. Now with new and improved "GET THE loving PUCK!" technology. When the puck is literally "right loving there" your player will simply reach his stick out and grab it.

One can only hope.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Edited: because I literally typed up a reply to this video thinking it was the NHL15 trailer. :haw: Good lord, why am I planning on buying this game NHL15?!

cname fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 1, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Dauher posted:

Hey - at least this year they are throwing in $25 off GameCenter Live, according to the cover graphic on BestBuy's site.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2014/07/07/nhl-15-includes-discount-for-nhl-gamecenter-live-subscription

Nice, that'll cover the cost of my EC2 instance. I'm surprised GameCenter Live isn't trying to sell proxy connections for an additional $10 a month. They'd make a killing.

cname fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 1, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

What is: A scrub defender who refuses to clear the puck!

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I really hope they don't touch Chara. He is responsible for the majority of the fun and humor in NHL14.

*caveman voice* "CHARA SMASH!!!"

cname fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 5, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

BrokenCycle posted:

Why does Corey Perry look like Aemon Targaryen?

I saw it more as George Bush Jr.

cname fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 8, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I love how they did the fans up like American football fans at a tailgate party. All they had to do was add beer cups and have 1 in every 5 fans sending text messages.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I get insanely drunk at hockey games. I start off loud, spirited and enthusiastic, but after the 4th or 5th beer, I just sit there 100% focused, jaw a-gape. (:stonk: <- Me watching hockey.) When my team scores, I jump up, start cheering and realize holy poo poo, I'm way more drunk than I thought.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Chairman Wao posted:

I'm in process of reading through the whole thread, so this is a Real Old Post© but I have to ask if you've been a thorn in the side of EA on Twitter for a long time?

EA mole spotted.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm no fancy videogame maker, but wouldn't the stuff people want require less effort than the poo poo EA is trying to sell, which nobody cares about?

It's like telling a child to rake the leaves and having him ask if you want him to also mow the grass, trim the hedges, prune the oak tree and bust out the weed wacker for the hard to get spots. You're like "No, just rake the leaves. You're only 8 years old, you can't handle all that poo poo." Then you come home to find the entire yard in shambles.

"No no, really, we don't need dynamic cloth technology. Just make it so passes don't go right through people's legs. No, really, nobody cares that the jerseys don't flap in the breeze, it's not import--- aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh you're doing it anyway. Guess it's too late to stop you, at this point."

cname fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 15, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
What did NHL14 have on the box for EASHL?

eXXon posted:

There's a second, longer gameplay. lol at the first goal and then this hit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Te6rNysJQ&t=123s

also lol at Sharp with the puck at 2:10 and the goal from 2:30-2:38. Come on is every loving goal a dumb toe drag clipping through poo poo??

The goal at 2:53 went right through the goalie's leg pad like they always do. Also lol @ the fact that the sit-down animation is still there for goalies.

cname fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 15, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
If there's no EASHL, I'll literally be able to go on a 1-2 week vacation with all the money I save from having to buy a PS4, NHL15 and all the weed and liquor required to play OTP.

I started at NHL11 and since then, haven't played a minute of sober OTP.

It's obvious that EA made a decision for the health and welfare of it's customers.

cname fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I really hope OTP is a watered down version with just unranked/preset stats and no more stupid rear end XP leveling system.

I love EAs definition of "next gen" because the way they use that buzz phrase, it's as though it's a complete downgrade.

Edit: Oh my god, NHL Moments is a thing that exists! Has anyone ever touched that poo poo?

cname fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 21, 2014

• Locked thread