Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Southern Bastards is the new ongoing series from the two bald n' beardy Jason's; Jason Aaron (Scalped, 99% of Marvel things involving Wolverine for the last few years, Thor: God of Thunder) and Jason Latour (Winter Solider, Wolverine & The X-Men). It's a love/hate letter to The South, everything the creators are passionate about through the lens of a 70's Burt Reynolds film. Issue #1 just came out but it has all the makings of a great series which will no doubt get recommend constantly until and after it's eventual TV series is made. So y'know get on the ground floor.

Plot wise the book is so far pretty straight forward. Earl Tubb returns to his home town of Craw Country after a 40 year absence, his plan is to empty the family home and return to the big city within the span of 3 days. Of course things aren't going to go that way. His father, the former sheriff, is long dead. Craw Country has descended into a sweaty mess of violence under the thumb of The Boss (and it doesn't appear to have been a nice place to start with). And Earl isn't in the town long before getting himself involved with trouble.

I know a few people picked it up last week but I think giving it it's own thread will offer a bit more visibility. And some preview pages for anybody still on the fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
If anyone is still on the fence about this book, get off your stupid loving fence and buy this god damned book.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
That final axe sequence convinced me to go through this series to the bitter end. I'm still mad at myself for not reading Scalped while it was running so I'm not making that mistake again.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Fyi you can get a digital copy of this book DRM-free for $2.99 ($3.50 in stores) direct from Image, too.

Here it is, so drat worth it. I can't wait to see this through to the end. I've never been a "part" of a potentially amazing Image series, so being in at the beginning has me excited.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Finally got around to reading this and a raised southerner, I'm definitely more on Aaron's side of things when it comes to the essays at the end. I moved away from Florida after finishing college and don't ever intend to move any further south than I am (though who knows where life will take me). I'm still technically in the south, but it's definitely not the same and all my friends from other parts (Alabama, North Carolina and Texas, chiefly) say the same thing. It definitely has its charms but there's also a huge undercurrent of awfulness and weirdness (the latter more applies to Florida).

In any case, I loved the book and I'm already sold on sticking with it, something I wasn't with Scalped. Earl seems way more likable than the Scalped main character.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Endless Mike posted:

Finally got around to reading this and a raised southerner, I'm definitely more on Aaron's side of things when it comes to the essays at the end. I moved away from Florida after finishing college and don't ever intend to move any further south than I am (though who knows where life will take me). I'm still technically in the south, but it's definitely not the same and all my friends from other parts (Alabama, North Carolina and Texas, chiefly) say the same thing. It definitely has its charms but there's also a huge undercurrent of awfulness and weirdness (the latter more applies to Florida).

In any case, I loved the book and I'm already sold on sticking with it, something I wasn't with Scalped. Earl seems way more likable than the Scalped main character.

Ever since I was very young my family have made a bit of a tradition of going to Florida every few years but we just go to Orlando and do exactly what you'd expect - I imagine the major touristy areas of Orlando really aren't indicative of living in other areas in Florida?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sundowner posted:

Fyi you can get a digital copy of this book DRM-free for $2.99 ($3.50 in stores) direct from Image, too.

Here it is, so drat worth it. I can't wait to see this through to the end. I've never been a "part" of a potentially amazing Image series, so being in at the beginning has me excited.

That preview makes his dad look like he's Buford Pusser.

Gonna have to get a hold of my guy and get this added to the pull list. I'm southern by several generations (but now I live far enough south that it's kinda not :v:) so just the subject matter alone seems interesting. The south is a gnarly place in a lot of ways and there's a lot to be said about what it is versus what a lot of the people there think it is.

Kinda curious what his essay's about, but I also think I already know.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sundowner posted:

Ever since I was very young my family have made a bit of a tradition of going to Florida every few years but we just go to Orlando and do exactly what you'd expect - I imagine the major touristy areas of Orlando really aren't indicative of living in other areas in Florida?
Well. Florida is kind of strange in that it's very large and diverse and you can find two people who grew up in different parts of the state and had totally different experiences as a result. I grew up in South Florida (specifically defined as Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties) which, really, isn't even the south. It's home to a large Hispanic population as well as a large number of retirees from further north. Someone who grew up in, say, the panhandle would have an experience much closer to someone in Mississippi or Alabama than I did. Then there's a huge central portion of the state that is mostly undeveloped swamp and farming, as most of the population is centered on the coasts. Hell, even what people think of beaches differs depending on which side of the state you're more familiar with. Even me going five hours away for college was a bit of a culture shock. Gainesville is a pretty typical southern college town with a population of about 125k hosting a university with 51k students, and a good hour and a half from the nearest semi-major city (Jacksonville) whereas I came from a metro area of over 5 million.

So, to answer your question, the Orlando area is no more indicative of the rest of the state than anywhere else is, really. It's a really horrible place to live in that it's just concrete for miles and almost no green spaces, and that's even ignoring the constant tourist presence.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Shakenbaker posted:

That preview makes his dad look like he's Buford Pusser.

Gonna have to get a hold of my guy and get this added to the pull list. I'm southern by several generations (but now I live far enough south that it's kinda not :v:) so just the subject matter alone seems interesting. The south is a gnarly place in a lot of ways and there's a lot to be said about what it is versus what a lot of the people there think it is.

Kinda curious what his essay's about, but I also think I already know.

Yeah I think you already know what it's about but I think it was just a great piece of showing how passionate and how they are going to go with the series going forward.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah I think you already know what it's about but I think it was just a great piece of showing how passionate and how they are going to go with the series going forward.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Now I just have to wait a couple weeks for my books to get mailed out before I can actually read it.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I really enjoyed issue 2, that last page was certainly a Moment.

Also really enjoyed the essay in the back by the New England guy. Speaking as someone from the Boston area, the North is definitely our South.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The coloring was not great in this issue. I heard the colorist wasn't done on time and was going to have to delay the book, but they said no. So he had to stay up all night to get as much done as he could.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
I'm curious if Tubb's cell phone conversations are simply a narrative device or if it becomes a plot twist later on as to who he's been leaving messages for.

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

Senor Candle posted:

The coloring was not great in this issue. I heard the colorist wasn't done on time and was going to have to delay the book, but they said no. So he had to stay up all night to get as much done as he could.

Honestly, if you hadn't mentioned anything I wouldn't have noticed. I tried to nitpick and still thought it looked just fine.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
As a Northerner who grew up in a rather Southern part of the North (rural area near Pittsburgh) and then moved to a rather Southern part of the South (Eastern North Carolina) for a few years for grad school, I enjoy the subject matter of this book quite a bit. And its a nice break from the usual super hero/supernatural type books.

Cool as heck, people should buy it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Another issue and things are beginning to come together. I do not think that Earl is going to be pleased that they beat the poo poo out of the one person who has been nice to him.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I'd say this issue may be the best so far.

Perfectly paced with the bad stuff escalating quickly while at the same time keeping the knowledge that Tubb is still just dealing with the lowest people in the gang. It's arguably clichéd but I loved the scene of Earl making his big speech and nobody really showing up to help him.

Next issue so much poo poo is going to go down.

Also the recipe for Fried Apple Pies looks delicious.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Just read issue 3. Excellent. In the top 3 comics I am reading currently.

Also delighted that the issue ended in the recipe for fried apple pie.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

I was hoping for a thread of this book to pop up. Jason Aaron's work lately has been just high note after high note. And ever since his run on Ghost Rider (especially with all the different Riders) I've had to keep an eye open for more of his work. I guess pretty much every country has their version of The South, and Canada has my home province, Alberta. Not necessarily the central part, where Edmonton and various smaller towns are, but closer to the 49th Parallel, focused around Calgary. That's our South, pure Redneck. Granted, there's no way anywhere like Black Diamond, Sherburne, Ponolka, Wetaskewin or any prairie farming/ranching community could compare with the South as described by Aaron, but I can still get an inkling. It's as much a character in this comic as Earl, Boss, Esaw, or anyone else.

I'm hoping there will be a barbecue recipe in an upcoming issue though.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Well, that's one way to end the first arc. :stare:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kull the Conqueror posted:

When his daughter finds out that town is hosed

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Yeah. Holy poo poo did not see that coming but I am even more down now then I was when the book started.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Goddamn that was brutal.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

That fourth issue :stare:
And here I was wondering if there is enough plot to sustain ongoing series. Bravo, Jason and Jason, I am hooked even more than I was after the first arc of Scalped.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

so happy we finally got to find out who was on the other end of those phone calls

Jason Aaron is the best

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Goddrat. That was a loving twist, alright.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I should have expected Arron to do something unexpected and bleak, but holy poo poo!

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Just chiming in to say how incredible I thought the conclusion to the first arc was. This was one of those issues where I just had to flip back to the very beginning and read it all over again the first time I finished it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I'm in love with the stylistic contrast in the presentation of high school football between this and one of my favorite television shows, Friday Night Lights. Coach Boss is like if Landry Clarke were a supervillain.

• Locked thread