Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I give no fucks about garage placement, but it looks like you're going for a slab, and not a proper basement. That offends me mightily. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

JEEVES420 posted:

Here in Texas nobody builds basements for two reasons. One you only have to go down past the freeze line and unlike in the north where that is couple feet down, we only have to go down like 6in so they are not as cost effective as a slab and building above ground. Second the ground moves like no other down here so a basement is just a bad idea. Foundation repair is almost guaranteed to be needed and a basement would mean cracked walls/much worse structure problems.

Also garage in the back is the way to go if you have a bunch of tools/expensive stuff. No need to advertise to anyone driving by while you're working out there.

Yeah, I figured you just lived somewhere where they aren't common/advised.

I'm not a homeowner, but if/when I do become one, I'm glad I live in the northeast where basements are the norm, because I loves me a basement.

Like...where do you put all your stuff? You have a garage, I guess, but that's where cars go! I guess you can just make the garage larger, but a basement is more efficient in terms of square footage.

But then I guess with less rain, and pretty much no snow, a garage for the car isn't needed as much.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cards Against Humanity has another expansion out:

They are also re-selling the 2012+2013 Holiday packs if you missed those the first time around.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Tickets to see these guys:

Along with these guys:

And these fellows:

Should be a pretty cool concert down on the lakefront. Sneak myself in some beers and have a nice chill evening. :cheers:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I live in a rural state with not much to do. Earlybird tickets were only $20, so if it sucks, no big deal.

Besides which, Offspring is mostly playing stuff from Smash, so that'll make it better, yeah?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Should jazz up my post-workout protein shakes/breakfast shakes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Perry Normal posted:

Because apparently here in the future, people run for fun.

Link for those shirts?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Got a complete set of Dinosaurs Attack! cards from Craigslist:

Even had the sticker cards untouched.

He was asking $5, talked him down to $4. :smug:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I finally caved and bought a KitchenAid mixer:

5-qt Artisan series. I was this close to buying one off of Woot last week for over $200, and I'm very glad I didn't pull the trigger because there's a store on eBay selling refurbished mixers for $160 right now.

Same model that Woot had, and even more color choices (I went with Caviar...basically black with pearlescent.) (And woot's were refurbs, too.)

And I had a bunch of money sitting in my payPal account from selling a few things in SA-Mart, eBay, and some money that was sitting in my CafePress account for like three years that I forgot about. I was set up to only deposit when I hit $100, and the balance was $95, so I lowered the threshold to $50.

So I didn't have to spend anything out of pocket, so it's kind of like it's free.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Jun 17, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

A rubber-bristled broom:

Both nylon and corn husk brooms are terrible. Hair just collects in them until it randomly decides to drop it in a corner or the floor. And God-forbid trying to use one on an even slightly damp floor, which is pretty loving common in bathrooms and kitchens.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

No Egrets posted:

Spotless 1985 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe. And yes, the headlight does flip up :smuggo:

Yeah, ok, but does it clumsily transform into a robot that's just a shameless, lovely Transformers rip-off?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

SaltLick posted:

Celebrating the 4th in obnoxious style should be mandatory.

Last year I had a similar tank top, American flag track shorts, flag glasses and had a flag bandana.

I just pulled the trigger on this guy:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Cause my tummy is upset :(

In case you're not aware, this will turn your poo poo jet-black.

Just giving you a heads-up since that can freak people the gently caress out if they aren't prepared for it.

I know it did for me the first time I took it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

cname posted:

They're everywhere. Your entire bathroom is covered in urine/poo poo. Who the gently caress cares?

Toilet seats, even public ones, are pretty innocuous as far as "germs" go, anyway.

You aren't going to get anything from a toilet seat, barring the other person literally making GBS threads, bleeding, or spitting on it...and you having an open wound on the back of your thigh/butt cheek and then also not noticing the poo poo/spit/blood.

The bathroom door handle is far worse. The number of people who don't wash their hands...

And besides which, what makes you think you can't clean a wood toilet seat? :confused:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

MaliciousOnion posted:

Plus another one for the right foot.

While you're hangin' out in 2015, please snag me a self-drying jacket and hoverboard, TIA.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Just got a new auto insurance policy from AmeriPrise through Costco. Saving a BUTTLOAD over Geico.

I got rid of my collision coverage, because I drive a beat-up 03 Corolla, so it's not needed, but even if I kept that, I'd be saving money.

Went from $370 per 6-month policy to $117. If I had kept everything exactly the same (which, as said, was just collision coverage with a $500 deductible,) it would have been ~$230.

Kept my comprehensive coverage, only because I live in a neighborhood where there's a greater than zero chance of my car getting broken into.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The first DLC for Dark SOuls 2.

Really, really annoying that North American PS3 users didn't get access to a season pass to save a few bucks, though. :mad:

Unless there was, and my search for "Dark Souls 2" on the SEN for some reason didn't show it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I also got a 2 TB hard-drive to replace the 500 GB one is ships with.

Best part is, it was all essentially free.

Since May, I've been doing things like Swagbucks, Bing Rewards, and Perk.tv to get Amazon gift cards. Had over $400 worth, and then I cashed in a big jar of change at the Coinstar for another $100 worth of Amazon giftcard.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

No picture, but I bought some earplugs for a concert this weekend.

Wish I cared more about my hearing when I was younger...already have some high-range hearing loss, probably from concerts I went to in my early 20's.

:sigh:

Protect your ears, young goons. Wear ear plugs to concerts. Wear earplugs on a motorcycle. Especially if, by some chance, you're a tard and are only wearing a half-helmet, or even more tarded and wearing no helmet.

Will you look like a dork? Yeah, a little bit. But 10-20 years later, when you're with a group of your friends just shooting the poo poo, and you're the only one not constantly saying,
"What?"
or
"Come again?"

You'll be thankful.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

RCarr posted:

You know what they say about girls with big feet :pervert:

They're really good at Boggle?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Is that Dash Rendar's ship from Shadows of the Empire? :allears:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

mad.radhu posted:

Only if you were going to drink it right away - i've had terrible luck with screw-top beer containers, they leak CO2 way too fast.

There are a few products out there that put a CO2 tap onto a growler. Here's one:
http://growltap.com/

Personally, I just drink the whole thing in a short amount of time, but to each his own.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Finally got a phone dashboard mount:

Time to stop looking down and fiddling just to change a music track or check directions.

V V V http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FHX9OK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 V V V

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 14:35 on Aug 28, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

crosshatch posted:

Got a couple new dressers so my girlfriend and I can stop living out of suitcases and dumpster furniture:

Nice.

I, too, need a new dresser after nearly ten years using a cheap press-board garage sale one.

Shopping for a dresser, and buying a couch and new bed last fall have taught me a very important lesson:

Real furniture is loving expensive.

I've also needed a bookshelf for about a year, but haven't bought one because again, I refuse to get another cheap POS that will fall into pieces the next time I move. So many books still in boxes from my last move, but whatever.

I've also been scouring Craigslist trying to find real stuff that's at least a little less pricey than from a store; perhaps from someone moving or what have you, but even that is hard. About four or five times now I've gone to look at someone's "real wood" dresser or bookshelf for $100-$150 that's clearly veneer over press-board/MDF.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Not my picture, but I managed to get this bad boy at Goodwill:

In perfect shape. Only $2.

Retails for over $60 new, used anywhere from $30-$40. I haven't counted literally every piece, but it looks like it's all there.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

"It's like I'm wearing nothing at all..."

While good, I personally would have gone with:

Jamaica, we have a bobsled team!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Disobedient Horse posted:

Bought me a couple of cool-rear end kitchen knives

Those look like they'd be really uncomfortable to hold/use.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

He just wanted a fountain pen so I don't see the big deal. Nobody is making fun of the people buying the expensive pencils.

Oh, they are. Just not so much here.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

All of these rowing jokes are going over my head.

I'm guessing... House of Cards?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

A couple of t-shirts:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Got a headset for my PS4 so I can both actually use voice chat function, and play at night and not keep my GF awake.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Four of these:

Winter is Coming.

(Just the tires, not a whole wheel.)

Got a good deal from a discount tire place on Ebay...originally about $440, and they had a $100 off any order over $400 promotion going, with free shipping.

There also might be a mail in rebate I can get from the manufacturer, though they might not apply to these tires...but if they do, I think that's another $40 back.

These are very, very needed for my car...pretty sure it won't pass inspection with the current tires. Parts of them have absolutely no tread left...they don't even work as summer tires, let alone winters.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Merica posted:

2015 Dodge challenger scat pack

Uhhh...:raise:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

The sparkles means your corpse is lootable.

His shirt is a vampire.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Some new wiper blades:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

sassassin posted:

That's the ugliest watch I've ever seen.

By no means should you take this reply as defense against that ugkly watch, because it IS ugly, but there are worst offenders (like a bunch of the stuff from TokyoFlash.com)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

Anyway, I got a scarf and some boots for my girlfriend.

While you're girlfriend is living it up in the mid 90's, have her pick me up a new N64 controller, PB Crisps, and some Ecto Cooler.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Polyakov posted:

Got my new HOTAS warthog joystick today, time to play some Tie Fighter while i wait for the release of Elite:Dangerous :getin:

That seems like MASSIVE overkill for TIE Fighter. Especially since it doesn't have an easy way to remap they keyboard controls to ones on the joystick.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Fly with me posted:

Surge is back in stock on Amazon.
So I did the sensible thing and bought 3 cases.

I try to only drink diet soda...but today IS my birthday...and I have so many Amazon GC dollars just sitting there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Does it come with a monkey statue in 3-parts that no one can put together for the life of them?