Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
drat, might get one of those for the 3d printing room. Never thought about it before now but keeping that from getting cold would actually be pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I dunno poo poo about mesh wifi, so someone tell me if it's a good thing to get. I've got a few spots in my house where the signal from my router isn't that great, but it seems like a wifi extender would just boost signal and noise...

Also, what about those setups that use your power plugs in your house? Better/worse than mesh?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

I can't comment on the power plug extenders.

Anecdotal evidence with babby's first mesh wifi:
I had an inexpensive TP-link router that was maybe ~5 years old. No real frills, I always thought the range was decent (could get connectivity in my yard ~150 feet away from the house) but with a bunch of random devices on wifi (tablets, laptops, phones, google homes, chromecasts, etc) it was pretty laggy. Not sure if that was a product of just an oldish router with no real QoS built-in or I had something misconfigured or whatever.

With the TP-link mesh system that I got a page or two back, it's a night and day difference. There are probably a lot of factors (newer technology like beam forming, better hardware, more than one access point, blah blah) but I feel like a chode for not upgrading sooner. I ran speedtests on my laptop back to back when they were both running at the same time, I got like ~22Mbps with the old router (sitting about 20 feet from it) and 195Mbps connected to the new one. Similar huge jumps with my phone on wifi as well.

The things I like about the ones that I got (often recommended in slickdeals forum slapfights):
- About half the cost of the assbutt expensive eero Pros
- Can do ethernet backhaul (or not)
- Seems to intelligently handle all the handoffs in the background. I'm not selecting on my device if I want to join a 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz network, it's just connecting me to the best access point (in my experience)
- I can easily max out my 200Mb internet over wifi. Some reviews say that these are not the fastest, but unless you have gig internet it's probably a moot point.
- My house is not large so 2 units is more than plenty, I still have a 3rd unit I can put somewhere. Might consider putting it outside on the deck in the summer, haha.
- A lot of my casting (chromecast or google home audio) weirdness/lag/not connecting is gone.

Got a link to the router setup?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Youch, any recommendations around the 100 mark?

(Not saying it ain't worth it, just that my budget is kinda tight atm)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yup, skip mesh and get a decent access point system like Ubiquiti Unifi. Wifi 6 (802.11ax) hasn’t even been technically ratified as a standard and published yet. Anything claiming to be is basing their devices on draft publication specs, which can and do change. 802.11AC fixes so many issues and supports channel bonding for aggregated input over multiple radios, beamforming for crowded spectrum etc. I’m not a big mesh fan because the spectrum is already overcrowded— no need to introduce unnecessary overhead and latency. The best solution is to run an ethernet cable (even cat5e is more than adequate for home solutions and supports gigabit), from your router to wherever you want better wireless experience, and drop an access point such as this at the end of the run:

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UAP-AC-LITE-802-11ac-Gigabit-Dual-Radio/dp/B01DRM6MLI/

The pro version has additional radios for supporting more simultaneous clients, whereas the lite will happily support a modern household and then some.

I have a hundred year old house with plaster walls which are horrible for wireless, and I basically have my router and other appliances racked up in my basement with two cat6 runs to two wireless access points, one downstairs and one upstairs, and that’ll cover my entire house in near latency free wireless. Just as a side note, cat6 essentially has a higher twist ratio that reduces crosstalk over cat5e, and manually terminating it to actual cat6 standards is really difficult outside of the factory, so it really operates at cat5e, which is why that cabling is perfectly fine in 2021, especially because internet service in the US mostly sucks and people are even lucky to have broadband, let alone fiber. :capitalism:

E: Looks like Wifi 6 us set to be published sometime here very soon so maybe it’s not as speculative and subject to revision as it was six months ago. That being said, it’s still awhile down the road from your devices supporting it, and the bottleneck for most people is still crappy internet service in the US, and even crappier home routers and rented ISP equipment. Plus the jump from 802.11AC to 802.11AX isn’t anything like the jump from 802.11G to 802.11N. It’s more akin to 4GLTE vs 5G, in which you’ll see more benefit in high density areas but most end users probably won’t even notice the transition from one to the other.

I just opted for this : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNG6F5J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_dlT1_TPTDRZMW72XX7P5FZVE6

It's in the budget, and it looks like it'll help keep my octoprint server from lagging out. I'm not looking to stream 4k to the bedroom or anything, just boost the signal a bit. Should be here tomorrow sometime so I'll have a trip report in a few days.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I just opted for this : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNG6F5J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_dlT1_TPTDRZMW72XX7P5FZVE6

It's in the budget, and it looks like it'll help keep my octoprint server from lagging out. I'm not looking to stream 4k to the bedroom or anything, just boost the signal a bit. Should be here tomorrow sometime so I'll have a trip report in a few days.

Alright, trip report.

Pros -
It does actually boost the signal pretty good.
Works so far (set up last night, still functional 24 hours later)
Has 5g (which, the only thing I own that supports it is probably the latest gen kindle fire stick I own)

Cons -
Paid for a new one, got a used one. This sucked extra because whoever had it before me didn't reset it before they sent it back, causing me a lot of irritation to install it because after I got the poo poo set up I had to go back and reset everything.
Only 1 port on the back for something to have a wired connection. This sucks, because the wifi adapter I have for my PC sucks balls, and I have to use it to plug in my OOMA device so my phone works.

So, basically, I'm returning this one for multiple reasons, such as "I paid for a new one, I wanted a new one" and "I need at least 2 ports on the back so I can actually not half my bandwidth".

I do plan to grab another, might just be in a few weeks or whenever that stimulus check rolls in.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea they opened up the vaccines locally to obese people or people with hypertension, and that's like 98% of the population of my state. Next jab is the 6th. No side effects from the first, hoping there's none for the second.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My usual go to excuse for splurging on something is "I've spent more money on dumber poo poo". Chances are, you have too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I bought a weighted blanket.

It hasn't come in yet, so no pic, but just imagine like... a regular blanket, and then make it weigh 25lbs, and you have the one I bought. Oh yea, was grey too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

A weighted blanket? Like, with lead plates in it or something? Don't mean to shop-shame, but what exactly is the point? This is one thing I never even considered that I might want.

The one I got has glass beads. Basically it's like a full body hug and it's supposed to be comforting and whatnot so you sleep really well. You go with 10% of your body weight for the blanket weight. I'm a goon, so it was big. Lighter blankets can cost less.

Didn't think about the cover but yea I'm gonna get one if the blanket works out.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Weird question but I figure since I learned about fountain pens in this thread, someone here might be able to answer. Are the any ink cartridges that fit pens that have waterproof ink?

I'm thinking of mailing some letters but I know there's a decent chance they are gonna get damp from the whole "live in the south and it rains like a bastard 5x a week", and I don't want them to end up some sort of Rorschach ink blot instead of my writing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've gotten many a letter that has been sitting in a mailbox waterlogged after the box leaks due to the door not being closed during/after a rainstorm.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I bought a psvr. Almost went to taco bell too, but I'm trying to cut back on the fast food.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I mainly customize the 5 later beefy burrito, cept I swap the beef for chicken and remove everything but the cheese, and get it grilled. It's basically like a big grilled folded soft taco/quesadilla.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Congrats on the infinity peacock lamp, and congrats on the new wife!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bought a night vision monocular. Gonna spy around in my attic and see if I got a critter living there. That or I just have a ghost that's bugging the gently caress out of me. Either way it records video so I'll have some kinda evidence.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SPZP37Y

It was that one, and no idea. It'll be here Monday. I'll pop up a trip report once I get it in and see if it's gonna work or not.

I'm not expecting much, but if it lets me peek around in a dark attic without trouble, I'll be happy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The gf has one of those. The pump died like 2 months after the warranty ran out, so you might wanna grab the extended warranty if it's less than 200.

Edit - hers might be a craftmatic or something. It's got the air mattress plus the whole adjustable bed shape thing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If it's silver you can try boiling water, some aluminum foil, and sprinkle some baking soda in there. That cleans silver pretty great, and pretty fast.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think there's an update for it that lets you pet the foxes :3:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I searched for watch and clock and seiko and had nil luck with anything that could be a take top clock. Maybe a different thread?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh yea, forgot to do a trip report. The night vision goggles are pretty awesome. They can take pics and record video. Battery life is kinda meh but they remind me of those binocs the rebels used on hoth, so that's fun.

All in all I like em. Varying brightness ir controls help too. Only real downside is they ARE magnifying no matter what. There's not an option for "just lemme see poo poo", there's "lemme see poo poo that's kinda far away but better".

Gonna give em to my mom so she can look around after dark on her porch. She lives out in the boonies so chances are she can see bigfoot or something and catch some video.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My eyes are too fucky for me to get lasik. Turns out I'd still probably have to wear glasses :(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Got some bunzos. I'm calling em Chungus and Rorshach. Chungus is firm but the wife might veto Rorshach and name him something stupid.

image hosting

She's probably just upset that there's a picture of her parents having sex on his fur. That's gotta be tough to look past.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What's interesting about the garbage rock? I mean it's a cool rock but I'm wondering what makes it 600 bucks worth of cool. Not shop shaming, just curious.

This might be the first black friday where I didn't buy something expensive and stupid. It helps that I'm poor, but honestly there wasn't anything that screamed BUY ME!!! in any of the ads I've seen.

Uhm, recent purchase...... 3 12 packs of coke cause Walgreens has a sale and it's cheaper that way than just buying em regular.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh feel free to shop shame. I'm still reconciling the fact that I spent tool chest kind of money on a rock

Basically it's a prehistoric flint-knapped stone tool from the Paleolithic period. What's neat is that it is an example of some of the oldest known tools used by our distant ancestors, such as Homo Erectus. This particular stone chopper was crafted within the Oldowan tool industry, putting it around a million years old.

I'm just geeked by this stuff, and it's a really weird feeling to hold something like this in your hands. Some combination of committing a crime, like you'd just shattered the glass at the natural history museum, but also the fact that these tools fit so perfectly into our modern hands... it's just a weird sensation of continuity, that people today aren't so different then our distant predecessors. Especially if, like me, you're dumb as rocks and spent so that much on one

Oh gently caress that's awesome dude! Yes I love crazy old stuff. It's so weird holding something and realizing that it's been around longer than you can imagine. I've got a glass bottle that's older than the United States. Old Roman and Greek coins, even have some animal bones used as medical tools by native Americans to measure dosages of meds. It's like for a minute you realize your complete lack of meaning to the overall world, but in a good way.

Never feel shop shame for buying cool poo poo. If it's cool to you that's all that matters. Cool to other people is just a bonus.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09575MMZ8

Dammit I do not need this but I really do wanna buy it for some stupid reason. Laser engraver. Talk me out of it please.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What's a rotary laser used for? It looks awesome, and contains the word laser so it's definitely cool, but I can't think of why I'd need a circular one.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tell Aggie I love her. She's adorable!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Found a coin, bought a coin.

:goatsecx:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, they tend to just get the smoke from the burnt offerings.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not trying to shop shame but this really isn't the thread or the forum to discuss your pot problem...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just use America's best for the eyeglasses stuff. Eye exam and 2 pairs of admittedly not great glasses for 80 bucks, then take the prescription and head to Zenni or your favorite glasses online place.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Megabound posted:

e: wrong thread but enjoy it anyway

Please tell them I love them.

Not my pics but I ordered the gigantic Gundam model. It's about 2 foot tall when it's complete. It's 1/43 scale, and I'm already trying to figure out how to have my 1/144 scale one in an "Uppies!!" pose near it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, for as much as people live having the new thing that's popular, you have a rock that is the only one like it on the planet. Plus, both sides of the geode have showing cool. One has an orange weiner, one side has that metallic egg spore thing that looks both awesome and creepy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Kinda lost but honestly can't think of a better thread to post in.

I'm trying to find something that I don't know exists or not.

I found some water dispensers that just connect to a big 3 or 5 gallon bottle, and I want to get one, but I want to have COLD water, and I cannot seem to find anything that can cool down a bigass bottle like that. I thought maybe some kinda mini fridgeish thing but I can't find anything even remotely close.

I've found water dispensers, countertop versions, even some with hot and cold water, but nothing that can cool the bottle itself.

Anyone know of anything or if it even exists? I just wanna drink cold water from the sci fi desk desk spigot thing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've got a standalone one I need to set up that has heat/cold, but the one I was looking at for "how do we make this cold?" was this type of desktop one: https://a.co/d/ajRPG9u

It just pumps the water from the bottle and that's it. I was just hoping someone knew of a cost effective way to cool the bottle down. Kegorater or whatever it's called is a good idea but it's like 500+ bucks which is way out of the budget for "cold water from neat spigot", unfortunately.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No, a kegorater is too expensive. If there's some kind of a mod I can do to a mini fridge or some kinda already built ice chest looking thing, that's a bit different.

Hell, for all I know they make some kinda cooling down sleeve thing for the 3 or 5 gallon bottles that I can plug in my wall. The point of the post was I can't find anything like that and I don't know if it exists.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, I'm thinking it might just be easier to drill a hole in the top of a mini fridge and then just silicone caulk around the tubing. I can always insulate the tubing leaving the fridge and going to the dispenser.

Appreciate the lead idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Optimus is badass and that brooch thingie is awesome.

Edit- according to Google images it's a potourri lid cover from 1989.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 06:36 on May 3, 2024