Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ms Boods posted:

Not my picture, cos mine just arrived and is still sat in its box in the kitchen, but I have a weekend of fun ahead of me :buddy:

Since lockdown I've got back into knitting, and that means also getting back into spinning my own fibres for knitting socks.

I've had other drum carders, but my big one is too big for where Mr Boods and I currently live, plus it needs to be adapted to UK mains. Meanwhile, this smart one should do the trick, plus they're made to order locally. I've been super careful with money during lockdown, but I had an unexpected writing commission + despite living in the UK for over 8 years now, got one of them fancy stimulus cheques from the US Gov't.

In case anyone is interested, the big drum on the carder is called the swift, and the smaller one is called the 'licker in.' :allears:

Is that a cotton gin? I’ve never seen a modern one before.

On topic: I picked up an used Space Mouse Micro on a whim and have been sucking around with it for 3D work. It’s a pretty neat little bauble that I really want to try to hook into Descent or something dumb like that. The training software it comes with is some 90s rear end poo poo and I love it dearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh that looks fun. I’d love to go mess with one of those if I possessed an ounce of musical or creative ability.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Apologies, I neglected to add the "because otherwise the wife would kill and/or divorce me if I bought one for shits and giggles" ending to that sentence. Please forgive the oversight. I've hit the "frivolous expenditures" budget allotment for the quarter you see.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oddhair posted:

Got some Lao Gan Ma spicy chili crisp, aka Rice Crack, though locally since we have H Mart here:
https://www.amazon.com/Lao-Gan-Chili-Crisp-Sauce/dp/B0051D84JU

The original Rice Crack was a Japanese product, but I'm having trouble finding it locally.

Also, since I seen lots of smoky Scotch chat, I recently saw a recipe for the quatresse, made with Salers (or Suze) gentian liqueur. It only needs a tiny bit of Scotch, and is very light and refreshing. It's been really nice in the heat wave we're dealing with in Texas right now.

P sure Mrs. Burd gets this on the reg from one of the area Asian groceries. Depending on where you’re located it may be worth taking a look around. ‘Rona aside.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My folks have one of those hooked into the land line for god knows what reason. I’d be curious how much trouble it would be to get working on VOIP. Should be fairly straightforward as you can hook legacy phones into one of those converter pucks, though dialing out would be a whole thing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Key me in on what's special here if you wouldn't mind. Just that it's small? I have a Lowe's/Depot special drill that came in a larger kit and does fine by me, but I could see a smaller one being useful.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I have the Elite 65ts and love them. I think you’ll be pretty happy with them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'll have to check that out, I have the old Seatbelts CS they put out ages ago, it'd be nice to get a LP copy at that price.

Speaking of which, this finally showed up after about 2 weeks of sitting in a USPS facility in San Fran. Just went from "IDK" to "Yo it'll be there in 15 minutes" this morning on tracking; go figure.

I really wanted to snag the spatter LP, but I'm happy with the Aquabat Blue one I did manage to get. I've been thinking about making a wall display dohickey for my assorted albums. I've seen some nice wood ones on Etsy for a few hundred, but they don't look too hard to make.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I keep wanting to pick up a PSP/Vita and use it for a portable emulator, but never got around to it. I really just want to play Front Mission 3 when I have a bit of time dammit. These dohickies seem pretty good for that but I’d really like to be able to handle one in person first.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

djfooboo posted:

Just got a Costco membership and bought some açaí bowls.

What’s some good vegetarian stuff?

The Bitchin’ Sauce if the Costco thread is to be believed.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Got tired of my butt/back hurting from this chair I found in the literal garbage back in college so I ordered a Gesture. Thankfully my corp has a pricing deal with Steelcase so it wasn’t as painful as it could be. I got a Craigslist special a couple of years back and loved it, but the wife has laid claim and good drat luck finding one used even before ‘Rona.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You should get a cart to carry your supplies and to prompt other people hiking by to talk to you about your cause. Maybe write a book about it after the fact. :v:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The wife picked up one of those car escape thingies a bit back and we got to test it on a scrapper at the local pull-a-part. They work amazingly well, she's tiny and popped a window with no effort.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I am deeply concerned about whatever jeans you are buying that aren’t extremely comfortable.

Do we do recommendations here? Anyone have some fall/winter pants to wear around the house? I had a pair of knit sweatpants I enjoyed but the quality was suspect and they wore out before long. Good pockets a must.

Warbird has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Sep 28, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

gently caress that, I’ll stick to the vapes that come with wheels thank you.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

black.lion posted:

Sorta depends on what you're looking for - if you want very basic/entry level the Zetrablade from Rollerblade is recommended often, but I personally feel like the next level up in skate gets you such a better experience that if you already know ice skating you may prefer something like a Seba E3 80 or the FR3 80 to start with (Zetrablades are like $100 and the Seba/FRs are around $180-$220 I believe)

Also if you're used to ice skating, be aware that entry level skates are not rockered, meaning that out of the box all 4 wheels will be touching flat ground at once - an ice skate blade is slightly curved, so higher-end skates (like the ones I posted) will have a rocker to give more agility like on an ice skate, but it'll feel a little different at first. Over time if you rotate your wheels to encourage a rocker, they'll wear down more on the 1/4 wheels than 2/3 and you'll get a natural rocker going.

Also also you may consider going for 3x90-110mm (big wheels) instead of 4x76-80mm (the classic size) if you want speed.

So I guess it depends on what you're looking for!

Oh last thing is those Seba/FRs don't come with a heel brake, but even with skates that come with a heel brake you want to take it off as soon as you can stop without it because as soon as you don't need it it's more dangerous than useful. But if you were to get Seba/FRs and wanted a heel brake to start you'd have to buy one separately.

How used is “used to ice skating”? I do it once every few years and haven’t died/broken my face so far.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

Got new earbuds

Jabra Elite Active 75t. Got them on Ebay for cheap-ish

How do you like them? I have the EA 65 that got replaced under warranty and while I am happy with them I’d be down for an upgrade.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Got a little one on the way, so this Christmas Mrs. Burd has deemed I go maximum dad

ngl, the pressure washer is fun as hell

Warbird
May 23, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

Very nice.

Was coveting one at my local Ace just yesterday.

And also good choice on that pressure washer. Same and super handy.

I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm not full up in the cult like my buddy with one, but it's a good grill and a definite improvement from the tiny Webber we got from Lowe's an age ago.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Have you attached a go pro to it yet and made some videos?

Well poo poo. Now I need to go buy a go pro.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Getting groceries on a longboard is the most Asheville thing ever, do it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Otterbox is overkill imo. I’ve been getting smartish Kung fu grip cases for the last umpteen phones in our house and they do a good job of keeping your phone in shape without much added bulk. That and a decent tempered glass case and you’ll be good to go.

E - It will (probably) not take a car running over it, but for daily normal use it’s plenty good at preventing damage from drops/falls.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hatch adjacent, are there any modern US wagons worth having? The wife wants a Crossover for the coming kiddo and screw that. She was eyeing an A6 Allroad but Jesus poo poo those are expensive.

E - Whoops, this isn’t the hot hatch thread is it? VVV I’ll take a look at it. The Mrs wants something fancy and I damned well don’t want a 70 goddamn thousand dollar car.

Warbird has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Jan 4, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I could see him being a goon so I choose to believe that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

11 pound Boston butt that’s going to be some drat good eating for dinner tomorrow.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

I have a goruck bag and its a sturdy bag but drat I wish I was aware of how loving stupid their brand/culture is because now I just want to sell the dumb thing so people don't think I'm like that.

their whole schtick is playing army man and having a trainer yell at you and throw poo poo in your face for hours to prove how tough you are (and paying hundreds of dollars for it). It's the most extra display of machismo faux-patriotism bullshit

Fellow in our neighborhood was big on that for a while last year. Iirc he just had a jansport or something and tossed plates in there. You could always just take off the patches/branding on the bag if you already own one of theirs.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I quite like my Peak Design everyday bag. The 6L is well made and big enough to carry my DSLR around as well as hold my phone/wallet/keys/etc. It’s too big for fannypack operations if you don’t have the need for that much space, but they do have smaller/larger sizes available.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

evobatman posted:

A mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro showed up in the classifieds in spectacular cosmetic condition, and cheap at $50.

After ordering 8 GB of RAM, a new battery and a new hard drive cable, it is not so cheap any more, but it is just too nice to waste away. While I wait for parts to arrive, I have installed a 180 GB SSD I had lying around, installed Catalina, reseated all the cables to to the motherboard and cleaned out all the dust.

Is that one of the pre soldered RAM models? I've got a late 2013 model I got hand me down from the Mrs. and I'd very much be down for an SSD swap and slapping more than 4 gigs of RAM in.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’m coming off a pair of EA65t that died and the QoL improvements the the 75t buds are super nice. Not enough to warrant jumping from 65t but if you’re looking for a pair of wireless buds they’re super great. The 65t’s are a good choice too if you’re looking to save money; they’re a great value these days.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

KingColliwog posted:

It's to replace a pair of bose soundsport that my father gave me because he didn't really use them. I hated them for sticking out so far out of my ear and they finally broke down. The fact that they added ANC on the 75t made me want to get them because I never had good quality earphones with ANC. They also look like they sit pretty flush to the ear so they should be good for falling asleep while listening to audiobook which I like to do.

I wasn’t even really aware that the 85t and ANC existed until this morning. It seems that the only real difference in the SKUs is the 85t is open ear vs the 65t/75t’s closed ear design. It’s a bit aggravating as iirc the 65 and 75 were in regards to their IP rating.

Fake edit- That stopped with the 75 it seems.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

ngl, those new mid engine vettes are sick as hell and I wouldn’t mind having one.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Solid Cake posted:

I ordered the new iPad Air (2020) and the Pencil 2.

I accidentally put a not-small scratch in my original iPad Pro recently - I was holding my bag open with one hand and sliding the iPad in with the other, and with the way my hand was positioned the rock on my wedding ring raked across the screen :argh: I'd given up hope that I'd get any money for it when it came up to upgrade, but luck has it that a friend is looking for a cheap-ish iPad to do some light sketching and didn't mind the damage. My couch also ate my Pencil a few months ago so it has mostly been a glorified Media Slab. The opportunity was too good to pass up.

Unfortunately they don't have the pink colour I wanted in stock anywhere within a three hour drive, so I won't have it for another week or so.

We have that setup and while the pencil is nice it’s of limited use to me as I don’t draw. Makes for decent navigation of apps, but since you can’t use it for system navigation the functionality is a bit lacking. It was a gift so I don’t feel too bad about it. If you do take to drawing I’d take a look at a matte screen protector that provides a bit of paper like texture.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Iirc we just have a no name from China and it’s perfectly fine to my untrained senses. I’ll see if I can find a specific listing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My dude do you not have a Lowe’s or something around? I know Depot did you dirty, but you’re getting pretty much the exact level of service I’d expect from Best Buy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Look up the CEO of Home Depot's email account and send them a complaint. I know personally that they loving HATE that. It shows a fundamental failure of their service and they'll roll that poo poo ball down the hill. Even if their assistant is the one reading it, it'll be passed down to someone higher than you've been talking to. Just let them know your story and everything you're going through and say that you expected a better experience with them and you're disappointed.

It's basically the nuclear option of "fingers crossed, let's try this."

Yep. Comcast has a similar thing and I got a sweet upgrade and the personal number of the region’s top tech after I shot them an email providing receipts on how I was getting screwed. Always ask for the ticket number whenever you make a support call folks.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s neat and all but it doesn’t seem to solve anything that can’t be addressed by a surgical mask or KN95.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Seconding that question and do you have as being used for agriculture or something? Good lord.

e:fb?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

OP did you buy a stretch of woods with an active coal mine fire under it?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

Coffee from a culinary nerd.

Post your thoughts once you get to try some. I saw him posting about it and was considering getting some myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yes, but you're not going to have a good time.