Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

spog posted:

That looks like you couldn't take her nagging any more and finally snapped.

Yes, they were delicious, thank you for asking! :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pukestain Pal posted:

Guitar Center had a 15% off deal, and I've always wanted to pick up this guitar. A strat neck on an acoustic. Fun stuff!

I've always called those Uncle Jesse guitars...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Derek of the Andes posted:

I too would like to know what this is?
Anything to do with fishing?

It's a lower receiver for an AR 15 pistol.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I've been hunting this album for close to 2 years now and I finally found it on a trip out to Boulder, CO. I overpaid a good bit for it, but it's nice to finally have it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

colas posted:

Neat. I got a turntable for x-mas, I would never think of looking for vinyl at Goodwill.

You can find some neat stuff there, but usually it's all scratched to poo poo and the jackets/sleeves are torn to poo poo. Definitely worth a look though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scratched myself with a nail moving some crap into the attic, remembered I hadn't had my Tetanus booster in probably 15 years... Hope I don't get Autism!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's a great thing you got a Tdap booster, but a rusty nail in an attic is extremely unlikely to give you tetanus. Tetanus is actually found in soil, and the association from rusty metal came about because metal found outside on the ground (and thus may give you tetanus) is usually rusty.

But hey, any excuse to get boosters are good! Now you're safe around un-vaccinated babies with no fear of passing along whopping cough, which might be the most important of the 3 these days.

Yeah I wasn't really worried about getting tetanus from the scratch (the nail wasn't even rusty) but it definitely made me think about it.

That's what the nurse told me, and I have a couple of young nieces and a nephew. So, I'm glad they recommended that rather than just the Td booster. I have no problem with needles whatsoever, but I just have to say whatever kind of topical anesthetic she used was great, because I literally didn't feel a thing.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrBouvenstein posted:

You got anesthetic? :pwn:

I've never gotten ANY topical anything for any of my shots, and I just got a Tdap and MMR booster like two or three years ago.

But to be fair, the big pain from Tdap comes later...IIRC, it's intra-muscular, not just sub-q, so get ready for a sore arm.

For actual thread content:

Tickets for my GF and I to go to Puerto Rico in march.

Well I dunno what it was. She just had a cotton ball and said "this might be a little cold." Then just told me to completely relax my arm.

Yeah, it's a tad sore today but not too bad.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sappo569 posted:

:doh: that was the herpes she put on your arm first

Jokes on her :smuggo:

wait...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

JEEVES420 posted:

Last time I got a Tetanus shot was because some dude bit me in a fight.

Evander Holyfield?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrBouvenstein posted:

I, and I imagine many others, can't use Vision pens (or ones in that style,) because of how I write. In addition to creating "blobs" of ink for certain letters/strokes, I end up smearing the ink.

I'm not left handed (though I imagine left-handers have this problem too,) I just write in a weird, goofy way that causes ink to smear.

Edit: I went to a local brewery on Saturday and bought a growler of beer:

I went with 64 oz of It's Complicated Being a Wizard.

What the hell is an imperial brown ipa? :psyboom:

As much as I love craft beer and the micro-brewery movement, some of this poo poo has to stop.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ishamael posted:

Why?

EDIT: I don't actually care, I am just curious why you think this is something that is worth caring about and needs to be stopped.

It kind of falls along the same lines of all the different sub-genres in music, particularly in heavy metal (seriously, look at this goddamn list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_subgenres) Everyone feels the need to be a unique and special snowflake and combine a couple of styles that have no business being together and are sometimes mutually exclusive.

Instead of just brewing good beer, a lot of these breweries just seem to try and come up with the wackiest combination of styles they can think of.

For example, Stone recently did a collaboration beer called Sprocket Bier, a "Black rye Kölsch ale." Well if it's black and rye, then it's not a Kölsch...

Scarf has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Jan 12, 2015

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

colas posted:

The only way I'd see the trend being annoying is if you went to a restaurant/bar and couldn't get a normal beer for normal you.

My favorite brewer is Dogfish Head, they do a lot of experimental stuff.

If by normal you mean "to style," then yeah, that's what I'm going for. I've been in flavor overload the past year or two. I don't want overly hopped, overly alcoholic, overly malty mashups anymore. I want good beer brewed to style.

And speaking of which, for content:

Sierra's 2015 Bigfoot barleywine is amazing and you should drink lots of it. Grabbed a pack on Saturday.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

BCM KMR Mod 3 shorty vertical foregrip for my rifle.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

echoplex posted:

Replacement hoover (Henrys are awesome but oof)

Awesome if only bc of this

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Benchmade mini-presidio to replace my pocket knife I stupidly had confiscated on a trip to Denver.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

djfooboo posted:

They didn't let you mail it home :(

Nah, it wasn't the airport, it was at an NHL game (what do you mean I can't bring this weapon into a sporting event where fights usually break out!?)

I was dumb, didn't think about it. Security asked if I wanted to put it back in my car, but we took an Uber there. She then asked if I wanted to hide it outside... Figured that'd be pretty irresponsible, I'd feel even worse if I went back and it was gone. So now a cop in Denver has my knife.

Luckily it wasn't an expensive one, but I really liked it. And it's a discontinued model. Ah well, this new one is def an upgrade.

Scarf has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Jan 29, 2015

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

derekcooper posted:

Excellent choice. Benchmade for life. I just bought a 707 and 710.

For real... Got it the other day. This is my first Benchmade and before I was like "eh, I'm sure they're nice..." but never really understood the hype.

This is seriously the nicest knife I've had, and it just feels amazing.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Shrapnig posted:

Ketchup on a hotdog ffs.

it's not a goddamn bratwurst ffs...

long live ketchup on hotdogs.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

FormatAmerica posted:

Hey so gently caress everybody blabbing about hot dogs, I bought a replacement water bottle

Hydroflask, 32oz.

They keep water real cold. The 40oz is huge, the 21oz is a little too small.

I've got a 64oz hydro flask that serves as a beer growler. It's loving amazing, especially for tailgating or outdoor events. Keeps the beer cold for HOURS.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Tickets to the final weekend (minus Thursday) of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

Notable artists that weekend:
Galactic
Dirty Dozen Brass Band
Elton John
Jerry Lee Lewis
Aaron Neville
Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Taj Mahal
Kermit Ruffins
Steve Winwood
The O'Jays
Buddy Guy
Trombone Shorty
The Radiators
Dr. John
The Meters (like, the original meters, which is loving amazing)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pukestain Pal posted:

super jealous

Yeah, pretty excited about that one.

For a few weeks there was another TBA spot on the final day as the closer. I was also excited about it, but they just announced that it's Lenny Kravitz. Guess I'll just beat the traffic out on the last day...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

couldcareless posted:

Already saving up for my WWOZ brass pass. I am going to die from going so many days this year, but I will die a pleasant and cultured death.
Are you from New Orleans? Or at least know it well?

My next purchase will be on AirBnB... I need to lock down a place to stay. So any recommendations on neighborhoods to avoid would be great. I've only been once.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

couldcareless posted:

Will you have your own transportation?
The city is very up and down, on one block you will have multi million dollar homes, the next you'll have dilapidated shotgun doubles.

If you can find something in the Gentilly, Navarre, mid city, or Lakeview area in airbnb, that's gonna be your best area for least travel to the fairgrounds. The further East you get in the Gentilly area and the closer South you get to i10 in mid city, the sketchier it gets. Staying close to city park will yield best results but may also be most expensive. There's also handy jazzfest shuttles in the area.
Uptown is nice, but even with your own transportation, it's a pain in the rear end to get anywhere from Uptown.
I don't care for the bywater but some people love it. You will need your own transportation though.

You can probably get a lot more info in the Louisiana thread on the travel board

Yeah, driving there from Charleston SC. So I'll have my car. Also thinking about bringing bikes to ride to the festival should we find a place just out of walking distance. Thanks for the info!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Tokyo Milk sounds like a euphemism for jizz.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

A rolling bag to carry my balls around in, because they're so heavy :smuggo:

All 4 of them... :stare:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Digital_Jesus posted:

Only four? :colbert:

Six minimum.

Now you're just over-compensating...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PCOS Bill posted:

So you live in a place that's 65* and dry and sunny year round? Sounds nice, how's Fantasy Island this time of year?

Not quite as nice as San Diego.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

colas posted:

Has anyone tried the Sam Double IPA? I've tried 2-3 of their IPAs and they weren't that great.

gently caress Sam Adams. I used to think they were ok until they started ripping off Brewdog's branding.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

colas posted:

Yeah they loving did. I was kinda excited when I tried Rebel IPA. I was wondering what took them so long since they're the original micro-brewer/little guy.

Better comparison:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dewgy posted:

Oh no, how dare they both use an early 90s grunge aesthetic!

Haha yeah screw your original design that's been around for 7 years, free market bitch! We'll just rebrand it as our own!

For fucks sake they even used the shield and a synonym for punk...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ragequit posted:

Well Conformist IPA didn't do well in the test studies.

It tasted like everything else.

Dewgy posted:

I'd see these two beers next to each other on a shelf and I'd 100% not give a poo poo or think that Sam Adams was trying to knock off their design. Not kidding, that design's nowhere near close enough to be considered a ripoff. If anything, I've seen dozens of beers with this kind of aesthetic, so does that mean they're all ripping each other off?

E: don't mistake this as Sam Adams defensery btw the Boston lager tastes like garbage water

A lot of people don't know that Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise" is a re-write of Stevie Wonder's "Pastime Paradise" either.

Scarf has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Feb 20, 2015

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
You might be right. If Rebel IPA was better than the Punk IPA, I might not care as much... i.e. Amish Paradise.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

colas posted:

Chill, there are levels of hoppy-ness. It's not like it's not like every microbrew is hop-rape. You're looking at two levels right there.

These aren't bad except for the sauce, the sauce it way too sweet.

Agreed, I go with Freschetta and Palermos as my top picks for frozen pizza.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

strangemusic posted:

AB-InBev (owners of Budweiser) bought Elysian. I don't imagine that they'll keep a product on shelves that says "corporate beer still sucks" on the label.

If it's anything like their purchase of Goose Island, they won't really change anything, just rake in more profit and up the distribution.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PCOS Bill posted:

I usually buy Cogswell's, but lately Spacely has been getting my business.

do you know how much nerd money you could pull in if you made decorative gears cogs and sprockets to sell to steampunk assholes under the name Cogswell or Spacely?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PCOS Bill posted:

Almost enough to cover the lawsuit from Hanna-Barbera?

You could get said assholes to cover your legal fees through crowdsourcing no doubt.

WugLyfe posted:

And, because I'm a babby who signed online at just the right time

Is this an amiibo? I have a buddy who literally has every single one of those drat things and manages to sell extras of the super hard to find ones for insane prices. I also have no idea what they're for. Are they just figurines?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

VendaGoat posted:

Penguins - Blue Jackets tickets for my birthday and a bottle of this...

I've actually never tried Remy XO, I usually stick to Courvoisier... How is it?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Went ahead and preordered a poster for jazz fest this year so I won't have to carry it around during the festival.

This years poster features Big Chief Bo Dollis, who unfortunately passed away earlier this year, just before the poster was unveiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

couldcareless posted:

For awhile, I thought they had thrown together that poster right after his death as a commemoration , but I just recently found out that was the planned poster all along and him passing away was just unfortunate timing. Quite sad. I think I'm skipping this year's poster though. I have a couple years in tubes collecting dust because I'm too cheap to frame right now.

If you're ever interested in selling any of them, let me know. There are a few key years (particularly Congo Square ones) that I'd love to have.

Speaking of Congo Square, I'm a little put off with the fact that they're not releasing one this year. I mean, I know it's to honor Bo Dollis and to not draw away from his poster, but I mean, the posters are already done I'd assume... So they're just never going to release this design? Just use it for next year?

I'm kind of hoping that they'll just release it a little later this year, or right after the festival.