Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Some impulse buys:

They're probably going to fall apart within a few months, but they were $10, so they're good enough until I find/can afford some better chocolate brown oxfords.

I mean, come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Guess where they came from :v:

Twill Paisley in charcoal, clover, coral, and wine. Almost as easy to work into an outfit as a simple solid color, but with more going on.

(Referral link)

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ragequit posted:

What kind of shoes are all the laces for?

Dress shoes. They're narrow, but they look good in more casual oxfords too. Most of them come in 30" and 36". 30" gives a small bow on my 4- and 5-eye shoes, but I do straight bar lacing, which takes up less lace. If you're doing a criss-cross lace with that many eyelets, you'll probably want the 36".

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Four of these:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Scarf posted:

Yeah, I always lace straight-bar if I'm gonna convert them to slides. Though I thought about picking something crazy from here: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

I go with what that site calls straight European lacing. It tightens more easily, and it doesn't corrugate the vamp like standard straight lacing seems to.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I needed more spring/summer colors, so

Couldn't really get the colors looking right. For comparison, here are professional shots of the first two shirts:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Didn't they recently take steps to prevent the use of 3rd-party/reusable cups? I figured it was about that.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Y'all need to stop messing around and just spend $40 on a grinder and a french press off Amazon.
Not only does it take ~30 seconds of labor and ~5 minutes of waiting, but buying beans is a lot cheaper and more environmentally friendly than Koffee Kanisters or whatever the Keurig ammo is called.

If you're going that route, I prefer the Aeropress. It's basically a French press with a paper filter instead of a metal one. Whether it makes better coffee is a matter of taste, but it does seem smoother and less bitter to me than coffee from a French press.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I would like an AeroPress but the ol' ball and chain is concerned by the BOILING WATER AND PLASTIC CANCER RISK :byodame:

You might be in luck, then, because you're supposed to use below-boiling water for the Aeropress. I mean, I think the plastic could take it, but it's supposed to make up for the lower temperature with higher pressure to pull less bitterness from the grounds.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

A normal French press does this too. But there's no guarantee that water won't continue to circulate through the filter the whole time. Especially if you use it as a travel mug.

It looks great but the "special filter" claim is clearly marketing.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be anything special about the filter, but the grounds being compressed while the inner cup is depressed may slow down continued brewing enough that it's not really an issue.

Unrelated to coffee, I bought some bow ties:

Clockwise: red Silk Seersucker Solid (that's what they're calling it, but it really doesn't resemble seersucker in texture), coral Neon Plaid , rust Linen Flowers, midnight navy Seersucker (actual seersucker on this one), navy Soho, charcoal Empire Paisley

Toast Museum has a new favorite as of 17:40 on May 23, 2014

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Zojirushi NS-LAC05 Micom Rice Cooker

I'm going to cook so much sushi rice. So much.

I've got a similar model; you're gonna love it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

mad.radhu posted:

I don't get this, how does a 'super strong' magnet not gently caress with your phone pretty horribly?

What's it going to do, erase the tape? I can't think of anything in a phone that would be affected by a small static magnet.

Edit: sorry, that was kind of snarky. An electromagnet might gently caress things up by inducing currents where/when they don't belong, but a bar magnet won't do that. Even if there were magnetic storage like a hard drive involved, a static magnet would have to be really strong to match the write head that's practically in contact with the medium.

Toast Museum has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Jun 20, 2014

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Tulip Candy posted:

Peer pressure is real.

Is there a thread about it and/or have you got a link to a good overview/review of it?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I got a shirt. Thrift shops have made me kind of a cheapskate about shirts, but I dig this speckled look enough to make an exception and pay retail.

I also bought some knit ties, but they've been in transit for nearly two weeks for no apparent reason.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Those ties I was waiting for showed up yesterday:

Silk knit, 2" wide. Referral link if anyone's in the market.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Different strokes. I'm a fan of neon green, but I would've totally jumped on a blue variant if it were available. I like a little touch of color to go with my drab suit at work.

If you're in a suit, your watch is an odd place to add some color (besides, you know, metallic colors). If a colorful tie or a pocket square would be out of place in your office, a colored tie bar on a more sedate tie is a little more subtle.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Irritated Goat posted:

This man knows what's up. Socks are my silent way of having a little fun at work.

Yeah, especially if you've got to be subtle, socks are a good choice. If you've got a little more leeway, shoelaces are another option.

Anyway, I got a scarf and some boots for my girlfriend.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

SaltLick posted:

With how surge flew off the shelves I imagine ecto cooler coming back in some fashion eventually

Isn't there a new Ghostbusters in the works?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
These two plus a pair of dark cobalt jeans I can't find a photo of:

Also this trucker jacket:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
What sort of stuff do they send?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Pants pants pants:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I got some ties.

Referral link if you're so inclined. They're doing free shipping for the next few days.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Levi's 510s. Bunch of stuff on sale on their site today and tomorrow.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Ties, ties, ties.

Jeans, jeans, jeans.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Those On My Left posted:

Link for the jeans?

poo poo, I thought I'd gone back and changed "jeans" to "pants." Well, they're kind of jeans-adjacent, anyway.

511 Slim fit hybrid trousers - picante
Chino pants - crushed berry

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Pukestain Pal posted:

seems expensive for a rice cooker. does it create gold?

They're very good rice cookers. I've got the five cup version. It's got settings for different types of rice, as well as for things like oatmeal or congee (hell, it's got a cake setting). It heats evenly, so you don't wind up with under- or overcooked bits, and its temperature sensors do a good job of figuring out when to switch from "cook" to "warm," so you don't have to babysit it once it's going.

Fake edit: and it sings!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Accessories for some shirts and shoes I got for Christmas:

Pocket squares from Spero Accessories, tie and laces from The Tie Bar

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Edit: gently caress it, nevermind.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Club Sandwich posted:

Hopefully this doesn't start another shoe derail, but I got new skate shoes.

White suede with none of the annoying details you get on normal converse.

I like regular Chucks just fine, but those do look nice. The only thing I can't quite decide on is the smileys on the heels.

The asymmetry of the other heel having a frown irks me a little bit. Still, I'm going to keep an eye out for them.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Levi's has some pretty good sale prices right now, so I picked up a jacket and some chinos.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Bottom Liner posted:

Your jacket matches my composition book.

Haha, I hadn't made that connection, but now I can't un-see it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Inspector 34 posted:

While I think this could have some pretty creative and fun uses I think it's funny that one of the main ones they promote is to use it as a light switch. Are homes so drat smart these days that they don't bother to build in actual light switches?

I took it as more like switching all your lights to a preset state with one click, which is pretty slick if you've got a bunch of devices to accommodate it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Bip Roberts posted:

Why would you possibly preorder a digital download?

Maybe there's some bonus content for preorders.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Sappo569 posted:

I'm out of the loop on laptops, but that's not a current model is it?

I know IBM has always built ugly stuff, but I remember using something like that 15 years ago

Thinkpads are by Lenovo these days. They're a little sleeker, but they're still recognizably Thinkpads.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Couldn't pass up Vans with flowers and Yoda.

That's cool. If I just heard "Star Wars shoes," I'd think of something a lot more garish and on-the-nose, but these just read as a floral print at a distance, and I appreciate the restraint.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I'm curious to see what the cases for the Galaxy S6 will look like if it ends up having the display wrap on two edges like it's rumored to. Doesn't seem like there'd be enough for a case to hang on to.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Present posted:

Your tie looks like poo poo because the knot is way too loose. It looks super sloppy. Tie knots look best when they are fat, plump and bulging from how tight they are. :cmon: Tighten that knot up!

Even tightened, it looks like that'd be a pretty big knot. I'd try something a little smaller, like a Pratt or Nicky knot.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Ties, because I have a problem. Can't wait to get my hands on the black on black paisley in particular.

Referral link's good for $10 off, if anyone's interested.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

zVxTeflon posted:

That jacket would be cool if it didnt have those stupid out of place looking things on the front.

The toggles? What's out of place about them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

zVxTeflon posted:

They just look like something better suited to those huge wool winter coats not a slimmer style jacket.

That's a fair point. It does seem like it should at least be longer, if not also heavier.