Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It really bothers me that her hat has a random gap in it.

I know there's a bunch of design problems you can point out but that's the one my brain is fixating on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

KillerEggplant posted:

It's been suggested that Evangelion is deliberately creepy to point up the creepiness of the standard anime tropes it's using, as a critical comment about the genre. No idea how accurate that is, but it's an interesting theory, anyway.

I've heard people say this about many anime and I really doubt its true in any of them. Even if it was that means they are simultaneously criticizing anime tropes while embracing them for appeal, which is hypocritical as hell and undermines any message they could send.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean no offense to the man but those limbs look like they belong on Silent Hill monster.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That pose is specifically a reference to the end of Fallout 1, where after saving everyone's lives you get told to leave forever. Shooting the overseer may not be included in all endings.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I don't get how or why this whole trend of people anthropomorphizing a talking notebook and clock from one set of weird videos started. Also I don't think I've ever seen people do characters from the other episodes either.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Colonial Air Force posted:

Don't fetish-shame

Internet Kraken has a new favorite as of 07:43 on Apr 27, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

:btroll:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does animal cosplay count?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

All that effort wasted on such a hideous set.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah little girls always wanna be princesses instead of queens.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I like the kid's tissue paper staff :buddy:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RareAcumen posted:

TF2 has comics and little animated videos of all the classes talking with each other while murdering each other though so it doesn't really work out too well.

Dota has had tie in comics as well. Also the "Meet the X" videos were incredibly barebones early on in its life but people still enjoyed the personality of all the classes in TF2. This is because Valve goes through the effort to write a lot of lines and find good voice actors for them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RareAcumen posted:

I honestly had no idea Dota had comics too. And the first two "Meet the X" videos were Heavy and Soldier, which told us that the latter of which is insane and talks to collected severed heads of the enemy team! Heavy's a lot more sane since his big quirk was "Named his minigun [Sasha]" and also "Doesn't like when people touch his minigun"

Yeah they gave us insight into their personality, but there was basically no interaction between the classes beyond shooting each other. The dynamic of the team only came together in later videos.

Anyways, I think Dota conveys the personality of its heroes extremely well. If you named a Dota hero I could probably name their personality based on their voice lines. I don't remember all the ~lore~ surrounding each one but their voice acting is, for the most part, extremely good. Regardless, I don't think this is that relevant to cosplay honestly. People cosplay as stuff with little to literally no personality. I think it depends more on what kind of attachment you have to the material too make you want to cosplay as it.

Too make this more thread relevant, at TI5 Valve held an allstars match where they invited audience members down to the stage too play the game. One of the guys that got called down was in full cosplay of the hero Pudge. That already was ridiculous, but then it turns out the cosplayer was actually a very popular pro player, so people went nuts; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JtPyEA_o-4

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I followed the second Danganwhatever thread not for the LP but to see people keep making asses of themselves. It was basically a honeypot thread.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

How the hell does anyone even remember that show?

This is kind of unsettling.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Polaron posted:

Troll is the part of that image that always baffles me the most. I just...I want to know what was going through his head when he completed that and apparently decided it was fine.

"I get a paycheck either way."

I dunno what the situation with Liefeld was exactly but that guy drew tons of baffling anatomy for ages without it being an issue.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Android Bicyclist posted:

My friend's Bounty Hunter costume from Darkest Dungeon that he wore to PAX.

Hope he spent as much time as possible walking in one direction.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

davidspackage posted:

Hah, just noticed the sticker he's wearing, I guess he got fed up with that.

...it's Nihlus, the guy who gets killed early in ME1, isn't it?

Yep its the guy who lives for about 10 minutes before getting his face blown off. Cosplay!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Inzombiac posted:

I hope this doesn't awaken anything in me.

A lust for weird guns?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
All that work and not even an attempt at the 6 missing eyes?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

President Ark posted:

looks kinda like they're done in paint on the forehead but are being obscured by her bangs

muffet only has 5 anyway :goonsay:

Muffet wasn't even a real spider all along. I'm shocked.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kwyndig posted:

Undertale cosplay is not something I ever expected to see. Mostly because the characters are all so inhuman looking.

Yeah how could anyone possibly conceive of a way to dress as such bizarre concepts as "goat person" and "a skeleton".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How about both of you shut up instead?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone else have an irrational hatred of that design?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hey the dragon girl was in the last Fire Emblem game. The new one has a little girl dressed in a skimpy mage outfit that is actually super old and looks young due to a curse.

Its completely different :shepface:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did Naruto actually end or is it one of those anime zombies that must lurch on forever because the ratings demand it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DeusExMachinima posted:

As someone who doesn't watch anime, why do anime fans automatically complain about filler? If it's low quality or poorly written material then sure that deserves criticism, but plenty of Western scifi or fantasy shows have had disappointing main stories but had some great standalones (helloooo X-Files).

I don't watch anime much so I might be wrong about this but I believe filler is different in anime from the western equivalent.

Often when a manga gets popular it will be made into an anime, but the rate at which the anime is produced outspeeds the the writing of the manga. So you end up with a situation where the people making the anime still need to make more episodes but can't get ahead of the manga. So instead they introduce filler arcs, containing stories unique to the anime. They are usually dumb and pointless, even by the standards of anime. Like the cast stops pursuing their main goal for a season and starts chasing vampires for seemingly no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Choco1980 posted:

I think they mean more the filler style of "I'm now going to spend 10 episodes talking about how I'm about to do some super awesome move, while you react in stunned gasps and do nothing else to stop me!!" which is worse than bad writing, it's lazy writing.

Oh I figured that's a case of it being a lot easier to animate guys screaming at each other rather than actually fighting. So an anime will have lots of redundant, repeating scenes and close up to fill up time.

• Locked thread