Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I feel that if you're going to do JoJo cosplay you need to smear your entire body with a layer of Vaseline.

Be careful, suggesting that anime fans should cover themselves with inflammable substances may be against forum rules.

I suspect some major 'shopping has been done on that picture. That woman's waist is about as wide as her head, without benefit of corsetry. Shame, really, the costume is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

Twilight is more aimed at how, and I hate to use this loving term, Mary-Sue, all the protagonists start to feel and how the fans themselves really ate that poo poo up. Like I said, I enjoyed it enough, but really the fanfare over it was inexplicable to me.

If you think any of the protagonists of Saga are Mary-Sues you have no idea what the term means, let alone how to apply it correctly.

Also to avoid a derail, here's the winner of the First Official Saga Cosplay Contest (linked for:nws:).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sgt. Politeness posted:

This is me dressed as The Will from Saga, posing with a friend's painting at Motor City Comic Con

And a buddy of mine dressed as Marko at last years Gen Con

By a bizarre coincidence, the Second Saga Cosplay Contest just got announced in the new issue out today. Entries in by August 31st, you're probably not going to win dressing as Marko or Alana unless you actually do have horns or wings.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Trast posted:

That looks awesome. Is it supposed to be Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy or a Treant?

He is Groot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

My gf and I cosplayed as the Comedian and the Silk Specter. It wasn't weird, unless we deliberately made it weird.

Gender bender cosplay is getting old, guys.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Axel Serenity posted:

The majority of these people are freelance photographers with a blog or website. Sometimes they have Press badges, but no legitimate press is going to walk around with that kind of setup or dickery, and they certainly wouldn't be spending the whole day doing it. A thing in photography is that there are a lot of people with a lot of equipment that like to flaunt how much equipment and power they have while not actually having any relevance whatsoever.

You might say they're cosplaying as legitimate press.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Peter Capaldi looks absolutely thrilled to be there. :allears:

It's the company, not the event. Capaldi's been a mad Who fan for more than 40 years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I'd be really impressed if someone could make a chest large enough to crouch down inside, so you could wait for people to try and open it for the full mimic experience.

I've seen cosplay of the Luggage from the Discworld novels, so it can certainly be done.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

i do not post in that thread, nor do i read it, because i hate being wrong in public

I recommend not posting at all, then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

haha, this game is old. When I was a kid I had I think an electronics gaming monthly magazine with an ad for this in it. It had to be 1991 at the latest.

It's more recent than that. I owned a PC when it came out, and I didn't get my first PC until 1994. Probably 1995/96, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Mentalizer posted:

1992 apparently. Because of course some nerd wrote up a wikipedia page on it.

Good grief. 1992, that is - I expected the Wiki page.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'll never see Cammie cosplay and not think about that one woman, and the weirdness of who was (supposedly) taking the photos, and then what she went on to do after being cosplay famous...

Explain?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

10 Beers posted:

I'm disappointed they didn't go with Star Trek:The Next Penetration.

Or the tagline "To boldly come where no man has come before".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

I think that joke is so old it's getting ready to qualify for social security

Well, I suppose by now they can't find anywhere man has not come before. :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Don't you have to be really careful not to overuse that stuff, or it will actually scar?

Dutch angles are pretty terrible, but I've never heard of them scarring people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It started as a technique in German films. In German, German is Deutsche. The word eventually got corrupted to "Dutch" in English.

A fine early example:

I'm surprised I never see Caligari/Cesare cosplay. It's simple and probably quite striking if done right.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Someone's probably done a cosplay photo set where the Dutch angle gradually increases and the person being shot starts looking more and more worried and unstable until they fall over backwards, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Boomerjinks posted:

A photog friend of mine was expressing frustration at not being able to go to Sakuracon this weekend, so I made a joke about him shooting cars since they could hold poses for long periods of time, and then I made a half-hearted joke about genderbending some 80s icons.

Lesson: don't joke with creative people unless you're ready to actually make it happen.

How can you tell if the car is female? :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

KoB posted:

Something about her waist looks all hosed up to me but its probably just the angle.

It's called "corsetry".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That's not a cosplay, it's a commissioned Photoshop picture.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

she needs to be closer to the camera and front lit. Then they need a higher aperture or they could focus on her head and take the smallest aperture possible.
:goonsay:

Why would we want a photograph of her ear?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If you do the Trooper version or the Maiden Japan version people will get it. Nerds love classic metal.

Or just do the Powerslave version. People don't need to get that one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dutch angles get more extreme with every passing day. :argh:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pecveria.

gamera009 posted:

Not nearly enough armor, or accuracy.

5/10

Fool! Doom does as she pleases! :gaz:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Lady Deathstrike? I dunno, just spitballin'.

Not being a viewer of anime, I thought it was meant to be Lady Deathstrike.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

McPantserton posted:

Oh man, these guys look badass! But no, not me! Both of my 40k Sororitas costumes are colored for the Order of Our Martyred Lady and this costume looks to be the Order of the Sacred Rose, if I'm not mistaken.

Aaaaand it's still not a finished costume since I posted progress last but whatever, here's what I'm working on now, I just finished this helmet last week! This weekend is leg weekend, haha.

Are you doing the boots? That would be legendery.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Why is someone cosplaying as a RealDoll?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Fixed. Score is relative. :perfect:

Surely that one goes up to eleven?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm still not joining ISIS.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

So this happened at the Chicago Pride Parade.

Perfect in every gay?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

I don't care how many people jizz over Bryan Cranston in a Bryan Cranston max, those two just set the new high watermark for celebrity incognito cosplay.

Who is this Adam Savage person?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

A Warhammer 40K Muppet?

Probably, but I don't know what the costume is meant to be.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

Jason. :v: I wouldn't mind being chased by her. :v:

Jason chases teenagers who have sex. May as well cut out the middleman.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

joat mon posted:

A/K/A Nigel Tufnel, A/K/A The Six Fingered Man, etc.

AKA Baron Haden-Guest. While as an American Jamie Lee Curtis doesn't adopt the style of Baroness, she makes an exception to get restaurant reservations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Who the Christ thought cosplaying as Rolf Harris in the 1970s was a good idea?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vic Boss posted:

Totoro was pretty boring and the kids were dead the whole time HTH :shrug:

The only good Totoro is a dead Totoro?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tracula posted:

So. Honest question. Even if I can supply my own horse teeth how much would a full-on Immortan Joe cosplay cost?

Including or excluding the bail money?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

McPantserton posted:

Yayyy, Scizzor there is Sisu Squid Cosplay, she's a friend of mine! Here's one of her costumes that I took 2nd place to in a contest when we were competing against each other, it's an original armor design she calls the Autumn Valkyrie:

If it's an original design, is it actually cosplay?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

I love what I have caused.

Can someone please buy this man a new avatar that is the same as the old one, but with the Dutch angle removed? I want to imagine his tears as he realises he is no longer the living embodiment of the Cosplay Photos Thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alaois posted:

except when he was part of Image comics then he was missing deadlines by a country mile

That was when he was setting his own deadlines. You can be a good employee and a very bad boss. I'm the same way, which is why I've never tried to go fully freelance in my work (which is not art).

• Locked thread