Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

When did this become the best tattoos thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Quint Gets Eaten posted:

Does anyone have a picture of the retarded horse from this season of Ink Master? The artist got sent home for it, thank God. I'm not a tattoo expert-- most of the time I think the things they come up with on that show are pretty decent, at least to the untrained eye-- but that horse was a mess, I couldn't stop laughing at it.

As an aside, does anyone know what happens if someone gets an exceptionally lovely tattoo on that show? Do they try to fix it for them afterwards, or are the volunteers just stuck with a lovely tattoo? In my opinion you'd have to be crazy to volunteer for a free tattoo on a competition show; if you're putting something permanent on my skin, I want it to be under optimal conditions. I just got my first tattoo and the idea of throwing myself into a situation where there's a time limit, I don't know my artist's work, and other artists are going to try to gently caress each other over is kind of scary. It could turn out ok, but you could also end up with the hula girl from a few pages back or a retarded horse.

From the Ink Master thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662164

Found a larger version of it on the Inkmaster site:

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Telemaze posted:

That ain't a goddamn dreamcatcher. It has a big gently caress-off cut gem on it and a fleur-de-lis. And even if it didn't, with the shape there's no way it could even be a section of a dreamcatcher.

It looks more like a generic old-fashioned decoration and is pretty okay. Not sure why you're so mad about it.

Because those sluts and their underboob tattoos new tramp stamps I tell you

Have you seen this awesome website it's called Return of Kings

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Quid posted:

Would I be wrong to tell my friend that the artist didn't do a "great job" or am I wrong and it is a good job? Is there a good way to say it or should I just keep it to myself? It's not the worst ever but to me it looks like a lovely bruise surrounded by lopsided wings and letters that are falling apart,

Stick with posting it here and don't bother telling your friend because at this point it is already permenently stuck on their body, and there is nothing you are going to change. At some point they will figure out for themselves it is poo poo and deal with that. Or continue to love it and not be annoyed by it which is probably for the best. Either way there is absolutely nothing productive in telling your friend they have a lovely tattoo now it's been done and can't be reasonably fixed.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

The motht howwithied wolth.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Bitchkrieg posted:

There are so many things to say about this tattoo.

There are but it's still not a *bad* tattoo. It has real bad saturation issues and looks like it's applied kinda badly. The composition is very iffy because of the nonsensical background of pointless swirlies that add nothing to the piece and do not flow. However, it has some nice details, the face is attractive, and with a second pass from a more experienced artist it could look very nice indeed.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I think the main problem is when people with absolutely zero artistic talent or drawing ability decide that a career putting permenent art on people is a sensible choice. It's clear it would have looked like a ham sandwich regardless of whether it was applied 100% technically perfectly because they cannot draw for poo poo.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

CeramicPig posted:

I don't know how you get scratcher quality at an actual shop (I didn't check it out to see if it was or just what some jackass at home calls himself)

It's even better actually. Guy apparently steals from other tattoo artists to post their coverup images on his website:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avlQXbwrFnI

It is an actual shop with an actual website (unless there is another Chris at Ink 180). They claim to be a CHRISTIAN TATTOO FACILITY. Apparently did not learn "Thou Shalt Not Steal".

Edit: apparently there are even lovely documentaries about this guy "the tattoo artist for Christ". Sheesh.

moerketid has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Dec 30, 2014

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I love Watership Down and this is a great tattoo for a fan, really.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Y'all talk about anime tattoos then this appears on my Facebook feed. Tattoo Artist Magazine saw fit to post this with the caption "WTF?!?!"

:nws: :nms:

http://s.likes-media.com/img/28e6afb3f10af3519edbb9178027c6da.600x.jpg

moerketid has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Feb 4, 2015

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

In any case, can you at least edit it to a link instead of posting it inline? Hidden images still load, I think, and I'd rather that not be loading on my machine here at the office.

Just a link now.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

There's just something... off about this one.

Perhaps the soulless zombie eyes, or the fact it will turn into some hideous faded blob of paint within 5 years.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

They did it on Ink Master and there were definitely no spoons, they just pulled the lid away from the eye to stretch it.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Why on earth would he possibly want to be a tattoo ARTIST? I mean the clue is in the name.

i can understand people who can't draw, but think they can, wanting to immortalise their "art" on other people in ink, but if you know you can't draw, what possible hope do you have to be competent in a profession which is, (to grossly simplify it), drawing under other peoples skin.

I remember a few years ago I "re-connected" via FB with a girl I'd known and been friendly with for a while in high school. I asked her what she was doing and she told me she was becoming a tattoo artist. Being in the art field myself, I was all "oh cool, do you have your work online?". She sent me links to these photos of mostly indistinguishable, toddler-level pencil and biro scribbles on crumpled lined paper and explained a "guy down the road" was selling her a kit. It was a very :smith: moment.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Friend sent me this from Imgur. He thought it was cool.

http://imgur.com/gallery/4FXQp3T

Bonus, linked on the same page is the guy's wife's thigh tattoos. He feels the need to show these off. (warning, enormous pic)

http://imgur.com/gallery/64l2vmS

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume they were done by different artists.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Do keloid scars hurt?

I have one and in my case, no. It's only small, not some crazy poo poo like that tattoo though. And re: the person who said that was "beyond keloids" yeah they can definitely be that big and even bigger/more horrifying.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

A goldmine of lovely, instantly regrettable hipster tattoos. Thanks Pinterest.

25 Meaningful Tattoos For Introverts

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Rondette posted:

:stare:

ok that explains a lot, if true :stare:

The second part of the quote:

quote:

I guess nowadays I’m just finding my outlet for all the pain and humiliation I endured as a kid … or maybe I just want to have an excuse to take off my clothes in front of strangers and everything I just said was a lie. Who really knows?

Nope, just a sheltered dudebro.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

Place as in shop? Because these look like they were done with a broken pen in someone's kitchen during a power outage.

To be fair, when I've visited the USA (NC) this is about the quality of 95% of tattoos I've seen there.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Weldon Pemberton posted:

The cat's face is a little uneven in the original too (mostly with how the nose is a bit pushed to the right and the right bulges out more, also while I don't think the eyes are uneven the shadows on the left make it look asymmetrical), although it's clearly the better tattoo. I guess the customer probably wanted it based on a drawing where the cat's face shape was asymmetrical but it bothers me because it would have looked better imo. Oh well, not my skin.

The cat looks really wonky and atrocious in both, we can leave it at that I think.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Ok Fella posted:

That's gonna be a Sweet blob in a few years! Anyone seen any pictures of watercolor tattoos after a few years? I've been wondering how those age.

https://www.tattoodo.com/a/2016/03/the-test-of-time-tattoo-styles-that-won-t-stand-it-watercolor/

This article was linked lately in the main tattoo thread.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Please let this be the name of her baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Stringbean posted:

B-But I have my children's names tattoo'd on my wrists. Surely thats innocent and not horrible :(

That's the most horrible. Sorry.

• Locked thread