Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

mcvey posted:

Splatoon was playable.

If you call gyroscopic anything in 2014 playable then yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

They often brag about how it has higher circulation than Playboy, though they generally leave out that it's hard to beat a business model where they literally give it away. It wasn't until last year that they really went gung ho with moving towards digital.
Does Playboy even still have a huge circulation, since, you know, the internet?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

AngryBooch posted:

Are people seriously getting excited about loving Splatoon?

Yeah, can't wait to play that multiplayer game from famed multiplayer dev: Nintendo, that's aimed at the most insufferable assholes on the internet: children, on a dead loving platform. People who think Nintendo had a good showing at E3 have some kind of nostalgia mental illness.

You're complaining that one "trailer" got 4 awards when Evolve was playable on the show floor and Splatoon and Rainbow Six were literally only trailers.

I'm not hyped for Evolve at all but jesus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxcLLFbmJHE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4JL5H7XMKY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kycn7GBqoFs

Yup. Nothing but trailers.

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Oh yeah, nobody who actually played it was talking about it because it "features" gyroscopic aim. Jesus Christ.

It was actually the most popular demo in the entire show and gyro aiming is optional but you're clearly very angry at Nintendo for some inexplicable reason so I doubt you'll take that information in.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dart posted:

It was actually the most popular demo in the entire show and gyro aiming is optional but you're clearly very angry at Nintendo for some inexplicable reason so I doubt you'll take that information in.

Gyro aiming was optional but clearly superior btw.

Analog stick for aiming is complete poo poo and almost anything is better. Gyro aiming is way, way better.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

GodDAMN those are some well made trailers.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Rainbow Six was playable too and looked just like the seemingly bullshit stage demo. I was surprised you didn't see more people talking about that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Splatoon looked fun I'm sorry if that means I'm human garbage

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Some seriously bad looking gameplay is probably worse than trailers.

Like, are people seriously questioning why Splatoon isn't winning awards over Evolve or Destiny? Maybe it's because Splatoon is seemingly centered around always firing your gun to avoid getting stuck in mud.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Some seriously bad looking gameplay is probably worse than trailers.

Like, are people seriously questioning why Splatoon isn't winning awards over Evolve or Destiny? Maybe it's because Splatoon is seemingly centered around always firing your gun to avoid getting stuck in mud.

You're 100% right, a game should just stick with the status quo. God forbid anything actually tries to differentiate itself in this industry.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

AngryBooch posted:

~nobody cares about E3 'awards'~

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

TARDISman posted:

Nope, and Smash is mentioned all of once in explaining why it didn't win "Best Wii U Exclusive." Hell, the only two times Nintendo's even on the list is for their console's exclusives.

Y'know they're allowed to have whatever opinion they want, but it sure would be funny if they had peddled the "Ugh another loving Mario game" talking point at any point in any issue that's come out in the last few years while writing opinion columns asking for something new or revived from Nintendo, and then poop out that award for Mario Maker.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

TARDISman posted:

You're 100% right, a game should just stick with the status quo. God forbid anything actually tries to differentiate itself in this industry.

My point was actually that maybe games writers aren't anointing Splatoon with all kinds of meaningless honors because they didn't like it that much, instead of being due to some Gamestop / game publishers collusion or whatever.

mcvey posted:

~nobody cares about E3 'awards'~

Except the dude upset that Splatoon didn't get any.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

AngryBooch posted:

Destiny is centered around hyper-repetitive MMO missions with samey gunplay so I'm questioning it at least a little bit.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Destiny is centered around hyper-repetitive MMO missions with samey gunplay so I'm questioning it at least a little bit.

I'm not excited for any shooter coming out of E3 myself.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Splatoon's territory system means it's virtually impossible to miss and easy to keep track of all relevant gameplay conditions, and the transformation mechanic, where you regain ammo in the much more agile squid form but can only shoot in human form, means that moving is both more complex and more rewarding than shooting. All this combines to make it a shooter with the lowest skill floor I've ever seen (a good thing). Would've liked to see somebody's reports of the other, less spammy weapons shown in the trailer, though.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

AngryBooch posted:

I'm not excited for any shooter coming out of E3 myself.

I was actually somewhat curious about Destiny before E3 but then I got my hands on the PS4 alpha and it had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Quite a shame, really. :(

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

JordanKai posted:

I was actually somewhat curious about Destiny before E3 but then I got my hands on the PS4 alpha and it had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Quite a shame, really. :(

I saw how ugly and dime-a-dozen sci fi Destiny was in its trailer and could never even muster up any interest in it.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

TARDISman posted:

It's kinda hilarious how much they ignored Nintendo.

Andy McNamara isn't a big fan of Nintendo anymore.

AngryBooch posted:

Are people seriously getting excited about loving Splatoon?

Ahahahaha. This fuckin' guy.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The Last of Us PS4 remake says "Winner of Over 200 Game of the year Awards" right on the cover.

I don't think any awards are really worthwhile once you get to that number, granted it's not the garish 10/10 Batman cover. But it does call into question how important Game Awards are when you can bag a few hundred.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Y'know they're allowed to have whatever opinion they want, but it sure would be funny if they had peddled the "Ugh another loving Mario game" talking point at any point in any issue that's come out in the last few years while writing opinion columns asking for something new or revived from Nintendo, and then poop out that award for Mario Maker.

Did they just not show a lot of the features that Mario Maker had when they demoed it on the Treehouse stream, or is it actually inferior as a Mario level creator to Super Mario Bros. X which came out like 6 years ago?

The toolbar looked like it didn't even have all the enemies from SMB1.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

My point was actually that maybe games writers aren't anointing Splatoon with all kinds of meaningless honors because they didn't like it that much, instead of being due to some Gamestop / game publishers collusion or whatever.

Except the dude upset that Splatoon didn't get any.

It's really more that Nintendo actually did very well this year at E3. As far as presentations go they knocked it out of the park as well as having one of the strongest showings overall thanks to the Treehouse and the Smash invitational. Honestly, this doesn't even bug me that much, I posted it because I found it hilarious that Game Informer twisted themselves into a Windsor knot to avoid mentioning any of that.

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

JordanKai posted:

This is actually the polar opposite of how I feel, I had written the game off as Borderlands with Halo gameplay but it's actually a not-poo poo Borderlands with Halo gameplay.

AngryBooch posted:

Why would people keep lining up to play it for the entire duration of the show if they didn't like it?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

raditts posted:

Did they just not show a lot of the features that Mario Maker had when they demoed it on the Treehouse stream, or is it actually inferior as a Mario level creator to Super Mario Bros. X which came out like 6 years ago?

The toolbar looked like it didn't even have all the enemies from SMB1.

All the demos of Nintendo games due for release in 2015 were conspicuously pared-down.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

JordanKai posted:

Uh...what? This post makes no sense to me. I mean, I don't care if someone says they don't like Destiny, though I thought the alpha was awesome, but what about the playable product did you find to not live up to the marketing? I actually found the marketing to belie how fun the game actually is.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dart posted:

Why would people keep lining up to play it for the entire duration of the show if they didn't like it?

They liked it but didn't write about it because it's a game for kids and they're grown ups so here are games for grown ups because we're a grown up magazine so if you don't like it grow up.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lotish posted:

They liked it but didn't write about it because it's a game for kids and they're grown ups so here are games for grown ups because we're a grown up magazine so if you don't like it grow up.

It actually has nothing to do with faux maturity or presenting the image as such.

I mean they didn't bother with showing what Atlus had on the floor either and a load of other things.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Taint Reaper posted:

It actually has nothing to do with faux maturity or presenting the image as such.

I mean they didn't bother with showing what Atlus had on the floor either and a load of other things.

It's because Atlus is a niche publisher and pretending they are anything otherwise is being willfully ignorant.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Is there anybody excited about Splatoon? Well obviously. It's not exactly Luigi-death-stare levels yet, but there's already hints of virality behind it.

There's still that stigma of "games are for kids" that gamers are desperate to shake, thanks to some deep-seated social insecurities--the old sentiment of "mature games for mature gamers like myself" abounds. So when a kid's game that comes out of nowhere to become an E3 sleeper hit without the same sort of colossal-budgeted marketing apparatus backing some of its competition, it's not surprising that a demographic known for being susceptible both to big-budget hype and to taking themselves way too seriously don't really know what to do with it. Like game journalists, for example.

Those who've played it know it's fun, and it's already starting to get people's attention, but is it any surprise the likes of Game Informer don't want to mention it? GI's literally just a marketing arm of Gamestop, and the conspicuous lack of acknowledgement of Nintendo's strong showing at E3 doesn't mean anything other than that Nintendo's conspicuously smaller marketing budget can't compete the way they used to.

You know, compared to back when they actually made money and not mind-bogglingly terrible business decisions.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Strange Quark posted:

It's because Atlus is a niche publisher and pretending they are anything otherwise is being willfully ignorant.

And now you have your answer for Nintendo.

The Wii-U is very small compared to the other two systems in America. Game Informer is part of Gamestop so they're going to be spending more time on the larger install bases because that's whats gets more people into the stores.

Mind you retailers have had shitloads of wii-u's that have not moved for over a year. So their advertising is not going to be all that favorable of the system or give it preferred time and focus. IF the Wii-U made money, yeah you would see them putting everything in there everywhere. But it hasn't and GI just goes with what's more profitable for Gamestop.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 18, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

And now you have your answer for Nintendo.

The Wii-U is very small compared to the other two systems in America. Game Informer is part of Gamestop so they're going to be spending more time on the larger install bases because that's whats gets more people into the stores.

That too.

It's not like the Wii U is even a blip on Gamestop's radar, though Nintendo's desperately trying to turn things around.

Honestly I'd like it if they did. Since I have a gaming PC, the Wii U is the only console that covers niches my PC doesn't already handle.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I was wondering when Game Trailers would put up their usual "Best of E3" videos for 2014, then I realized the majority of people working behind the scenes there have more pressing stuff on their minds at the moment. :smith:

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Last of Us PS4 remake says "Winner of Over 200 Game of the year Awards" right on the cover.

I don't think any awards are really worthwhile once you get to that number, granted it's not the garish 10/10 Batman cover. But it does call into question how important Game Awards are when you can bag a few hundred.

This is video games. The numbers must get bigger.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

splifyphus posted:

This is video games. The numbers must get bigger.

We're going to wind up with a game that says "First game to ever break one million game of the year awards".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We're gonna start rating our games in Game of the Years.

Splatoon

"The childish look and style is offensive to the eyes, lack of single-player content is insulting, and why aren't any of the characters I shoot dying? It's not wonder Nintendo clings on to their old IPs as those are the only ones people can nostalgia trip about hard enough to act like they enjoy."

1 Game of the Year out of 5

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Beef Waifu posted:

We're gonna start rating our games in Game of the Years.

Splatoon

"The childish look and style is offensive to the eyes, lack of single-player content is insulting, and why aren't any of the characters I shoot dying? It's not wonder Nintendo clings on to their old IPs as those are the only ones people can nostalgia trip about hard enough to act like they enjoy."

1 Game of the Year out of 5
I know you're only making a joke but I just wanted to point out that they've already confirmed that there will be a single-player campaign in Splatoon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually did not know that... the egg is on my face, you see.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Well 4chan certainly seemed excited. They were drawing sexual fanart within an hour of the Splatoon reveal.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Excels posted:

Well 4chan certainly seemed excited. They were drawing sexual fanart within an hour of the Splatoon reveal.

the characters look like little girls so of course they were :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Little girls who are also half-squid, a kink that I thought was exclusive to /a/.

• Locked thread