Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

TL posted:

@NeedADebitCard is the funniest twitter account I've ever seen.

:stare: What the gently caress, how dumb are people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Here we go again!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I have four. But I'm a guy. What does that mean for me?

Check your crotch again... M'lady.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

This poo poo again. (At least) In Canada, all halal meat "dhabihah" or otherwise, is not stunned before it is killed, whereas non-halal meat is.

You got a source on that?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

The British Farm Animal Care and Welfare committee:

The Brambell Report on Farm Animal Welfare came out in the 1960's and has been used as a base for Canadian/UK legislature regarding Animal welfare ever since. (Although it desperately needs upgrading)

Aka this has no bearings on the method of killing, just that a Muslim did the killing.

Sources:
Man, Y. B. C., & Sazili, A. Q. (2010). Food production from the halal perspective. Handbook of Poultry Science and Technology, Primary Processing, 1, 183.
Riaz, M. N., & Chaudry, M. M. (2003). Halal food production. CRC press.

EDIT - Looks like the UK has started allowing electrically stunned chickens to be considered "Halal". I have no problem with this!

Not a single thing you've quoted says that the animal needs to be conscious; not a single thing you've quoted says anything about Canada.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

How the gently caress are selfish and attention-seeking gendered?

And who is this person? I feel like I will get much enjoyment out of reading their stuff.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

I'm just waiting for one of the all time great players in each league to come out as gay, like Maurice Richard or something. Every staunch right wing person in Quebec simultaniously dies from a stroke.

Quebec's actually pretty gay-friendly these days, and we really don't have much of a right wing :confused:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

LaughMyselfTo posted:

My understanding is that they get shut down because they attract right-wingers, seeing as the idiots on Tumblr are mostly left-wing. Sticking to mocking sites like Facebook where the idiots are right-wing helps to keep SA left-wing and therefore on the right side of history.

I don't think there's some grand mod conspiracy; goons devolve into stupidity and white-knighting after a mock thread has gone on long enough, no matter the subject.

This thread and the A/U/G thread have a varied enough scope that there's no chance for steady factions to form; it's the only thing that keeps them going.

Austrian mook posted:

For Montreal that's certainly the case, but I was under the impression that the small country got pretty bad, am I just wrong on this?

E: There was that bill where they wouldn't let Sikh people work for the government thing.

You're wrong.

It wasn't a bill, it was a proposed bill that was put up for discussion and it wasn't banning people of a certain faith from working for the government, it was banning people from overtly displaying religious symbols while serving the public on behalf of the government. It was handled terribly, and the party that proposed it got epically trounced during the last election, which tells you all you need to know about the popular opinion on the subject. (It was far from the main issue in the election, contrary to what English-Canadian media would tell you, though.)

Homosexuality's pretty well accepted in Quebec. You still have people who aren't too keen about it, your older folks and your farmers mostly, but the crowd that put up the charter of value, the PQ? They had an homosexual leader a couple of goes ago. They're moderate left, BTW - The right wing party's pretty much the one that's in power right now, or the CAQ, if you want to count the CAQ as a real party.

FrozenVent has a new favorite as of 05:12 on May 12, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Love that the poster is a baby standing on top of a pile of chemicals, stating out at a pool of chemicals and wearing clothes made out of chemicals.

It's very thematic.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You should totally hit enter and :iceburn: that idiot on Facebook.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

So these guys have never heard of anti-trust regulations? Cause I'm pretty sure that the government mandating that farmers use only one company's products...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

karl fungus posted:

What sort of lovely business plan involves sterilizing everyone so that nobody eats your product after a couple of generations because they're all dead.

A right wing one, obviously.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

More from the desk of Mr. "Spend Money Make Money gently caress YOU PATRIOTS YOU COST ME $1000 YESTERDAY"

It's like, I don't know how you can have gone through college during the economic crash and grown up in Hawaii with its astronomical and unrealistic real estate prices and still get taken by this poo poo. It's safe to invest in property without money!

How do I sign up for 145k / year of passive income? Because I think I'd enjoy that.

Does it involve writing books about real estate investments?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Double Plus Good posted:

bun/buns/bunself pronouns.

Are you joking or are these really the pronouns? If so, why?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

:stare: This poo poo just keeps getting worse, doesn't it? Last time I looked they were still on xe/xer/xhey or whatever.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Those parodies stopped being funny around the third one, which was written about ten years ago.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Translation: "Ladies, if you want to be perfect, be like Nora from Planet of the Apes; she's BEAUTIFUL and she SHUTS UP!"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That bodybuilder page is just an over-elaborate troll, FYI.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

So two days ago, a guy posted a status saying that if women wanted to be perfect, they should work on being pretty and shutting up, and commented that parents should endeavor to raise their daughters that way. It's since been deleted. (I have a screenshot, but it's in French)

Today he posts a pictures of an ultrasound, turns out he's having a girl. :suicide:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

Why are most political cartoonists so goddamn bad at their jobs?

They're actually pretty good at it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Even that implies that Tebow has ever been made fun of for being Christian as opposed to evangelical. In order for Michael Sam (or Jason Collins in this case) to be equivalent to Tebow, he would need to wear eyeblack that said "I LIKE DICKS" and bend a dude over on the sideline every time he made a play.

I'd start watching football.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah that only really works in latitudes between the tropics and at certain times of the year. The maximum height of the sun on any given day (at local apparent noon) is dependent on your latitude and the Sun's declination. It's been a while since I did celestial navigation so I might be messing up the terms here.

A hand with your hand outstretched is about 10 degrees of altitude, for what it's worth. So if each hand is 10 degrees, if you're somewhere where the Sun is directly overhead, by that method it would have to be in the sky for 18 hours (9 hours up, 9 down).

I think that only happens in polar latitudes, and the Sun doesn't go that high there.

FrozenVent has a new favorite as of 05:16 on May 20, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Atmus posted:

It probably means something that the number of and positioning of the fries changes, and that the hamburger and bun are obviously different as well.

Well could you have fries laying around for all that time without being tempted to eat one?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Celery Face posted:

In year 12 you got a restraining order against me.

Yet you still added me on Facebook.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Celery Face posted:

The kid is in grade eleven and there's no way anyone wouldn't de-friend someone on facebook over that.

Misread the grades, sorry.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Zeether posted:

The writing on her back says something along the lines of "gently caress Putin" :ironicat:

To be honest, if a political movement sprung up that involved naked women encouraging people to "gently caress FrozenVent", I'd give them the thumbs up too.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Holy gently caress.

When every single loving girl you meet is rejecting you, how narcissistic do you have to be to think that the girls, not you, are the problem?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Dandy Shrew posted:

This is really just driving all the MRAs out of the woodwork, isn't it?

I think that guy drives straight past MRA and into purestrain crazy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Edit - woops.

FrozenVent has a new favorite as of 16:46 on May 27, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That plane is clearly about to miss.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hiding people instead of deleting them cuts out their dumb bullshit while preventing the even dumber "YOU DELETED ME FROM FACEBOOK!!!!" drama.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Falcon2001 posted:

I've had this happen exactly one time and it kind of confuses me. Maybe this is my moment in the autistic sun or whatever but I just told the guy flat out 'you're cluttering up my feed with bullshit and we're not really friends or anything, bye' and that was that.

Like, what power could these people possibly have over you that this drama is anything tangible?

Family members and other people you have to interact with in real life? I honestly don't care, but my cousin unfriended my mother and it was A Big Deal at the next family dinner.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

grittyreboot posted:

Does OK Cupid count as social media?

That seems fairly sane, where's the idiocy?

Edit - Nevermind, I'd missed a crucial "not"

FrozenVent has a new favorite as of 00:03 on May 31, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

angelfisher posted:

Someone I know who's a bit of a nutter put this on her Facebook. "DO NOT PLAY 20 QUESTIONS WITH ME" is kind of strange since if you're going around wanting to educate people about issues, why wouldn't you accept questions coming from the supposed "oppressors"?

Tumblrites have this thing where "It's not my job to educate you!", and they figure they've done their job if they just scream "OFFENSIVE!"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

I wonder what her reaction's going to be when the person inevitably rolls their eyes and throws away the card.

This is someone who's so terrified of confronting people that they've printed out cards to hand out to people.

Do you really think they're going to actually do it? Well maybe they'll leave the card behind in the most passive-aggressive way they can manage.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Neither communism nor robots ever truly die.

They never truly live either.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

I thought "not helping each other" was what libertarianism was all about.

No, the central tenet is that no one should be forced to do anything, including helping each others. So in a perfect libertarian society, the social net would be replaced by voluntary charity. Of course, what they really want is to not pay taxes and so it's very much "gently caress you, got mine, help yourself."

Like communism or anarchism, it's one of those models that would work perfectly if human nature was completely different.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

We shouldn't have killed the low-carb thread, when it died its spirit was released unto the world.

It's greasy, lardy spirit.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

:stare: what the everloving gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

TinTower posted:

So apparently I'm a "bullying gobshite" for trying to ascertain whether a group of self-styled feminists think it's okay to touch the genitals of children.

For the record, I asked her twenty-four times before I got tired of imitating Jeremy Paxman.

Why'd you ask that 18 times? What context made you think that was a good idea?

And without context, the diaper changing argument is pretty valid to me, and since you chose not to supply context... I hope you don't work in PR.

Edit: missed the edit, I'm not watching a 9 minutes video to figure out why you felt the need to ask someone about children's genital twenty four times.

• Locked thread