Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shbobdb posted:

I'm pretty sure the Taliban has already help popularize clothing that ensures women aren't objectified. I mean, at the very least, women who don't want to be objectified should cover their hair. Better would be to cover all of their sinful flesh from the male gaze. That way their modesty and chastity can be preserved. To be covered is the ultimate female liberation.

Is this ironic or not? Because i have heard that argument a thousand times. Some women do genuinly beleive that they are more free under a burka or a niqab. I find it bizarre,but hey different strokes for different folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sjonkel posted:

A Swedish channel basically did that show, they went to some of the worst trolls in Sweden and asked them why they said what they did etc. All the trolls had both their face and voice distorted, so they were completely anonymous. But without a single exception, they where just as pathetic as you could imagine. And even though they say the vilest things, they sure didn't like being confronted by someone else. They journalist confronting them had a kind of Chris Hansen-esque way of talking, which made it so awesome to watch.

I watched that show. I don`t like it one bit, it`s very purpose is to undermine free speech. I for one enjoy living in a democracy which can only survive if people have a safe space to say whatever they want, i would hate to see well-meaning fuckheads enforce self-censorship because that will be the beginning of the end for western democracy.
The ability to say things anonumsly online is a great gift, it has made the world in to a better place. Do you really want to lose all of that just because some people say hurtful and somewhat evil things? Cause today the people who get to point fingers are people you agree with, tomorrow it migth be the other way around. It might be you will be painted as a stupid troll tomorrow, think about that for a moment.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

moerketid posted:

Not that I need to but just gonna call bs. I am a feminist, but I was the only child of parents where my mother was deeply abusive of my father and I. We experienced a ton of legit and serious men's rights/fatherhood issues when social work and the law wanted to put me into my mother's custody despite her being an alcoholic drug addict, rather than my dad's when he was employed and working to keep us safe. I have a lot of sympathy for these genuine issues and have brought them up when discussing feminism/MRAs online - the response has ONLY been sympathetic towards the situation. I've also called, as an adult, a domestic abuse charity for advice and though they expressed some surprise at how "you usually always hear about this the other way around", again they were nothing but helpful - despite being primarily geared towards women. I've never encountered anyone anywhere who claims that domestic abuse towards men cannot exist - online or irl.

But people will often say that the abuse women face must be priortized and that sadly we can not also help the men because no society has infinite resources. Which i imagine is a hard to to hear. I guess it is only human to be so caugth up in your own pain that all other issues seem like they at most deserve lip service. The weird thing is perhaps they are rigth? Perhaps the way to get the maximum good for the minimum cost is to cut abused men off from any help and direct 100% of it to abused women?

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Practical Demon posted:

Who are these people often saying this?

People i know. I am also pretty sure i have read that argument in my local newspaper.They geuninly beleive rigthly or wrongly that helping abused women is so important that it is wrong to divert resources to helping abused men. I am not saying there are tons of people saying this, but a few are.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I think you are horrifically misinterpreting a common explanation used to reason with people regarding why bringing up men's rights every single time feminism/women's social issues are discussed is not always appropriate, that explanation being "Women's issues are prioritized in discussions of gender inequality because they are more often victims than men are and still experience greater social injustice, and when the point is to try and bring light to women's struggles because they are often overlooked or minimized in lieu of men's needs, turning the discussion towards abuse men face tends to shift the lens entirely back towards men again and women fall out of the discussion". No one says 100% of our social resources must go towards helping abused women and abused women only - that's insanely foolish by any standard, any rational person knows that issues such as child abuse, domestic abuse against men, transphobia, and racism are just as valid to concentrate resources on (and many more! We live in a 1st world society, we don't need to only help one disadvantaged group only and call it a day).

Frankly, what you suggested sounds like someone trying to paint feminists as selfish boogeymen; either you misunderstood something, or someone trolled you and you are incredibly gullible. Or we could go with the least charitable option, which is that you are being deliberately misrepresentative and hyperbolic in order to manipulate the situation to further your own agenda. But let's leave that one on the backburner for now.

I have no agenda, could not care less about the sucsess or failure of feminism. I am glad to know that the people i talked to do not represent mainstream tougth . Ofcourse it could be that they are less reasonable ( there is no shortage of assholes in this world) than you but i will choose to assume the opposite.

• Locked thread