Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Moon Man posted:

Is Kermit the Frog the new mascot for minding your own business? Did I miss that meeting?

That's none of your business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Deltasquid posted:

There's a difference between circumcision for medical reasons, which is practice in every civilized country, and circumcision for aesthetic reasons, which is what happens only in the US of A.

And we should now drop the discussion because arguing about child mutilation on SA makes us the idiots on social media.

America, noted pioneer of circumcision.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

13Pandora13 posted:

A bike going 10 mph on a well-trafficked road during "rush hour" absolutely causes traffic problems. If a car was going that slow a cop would pull them over.

gently caress cyclists. Yeah, they have a right to the road and it's not legal to bike on sidewalks, whatever. If you can't go close to the speed limit, gently caress right off from 8-9 and 4:30-6:30.

Or you know, ride a bike too. Get fit, have sexy shaved legs, piss people off who drive cars. What's not to like?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Turtlicious posted:

This is from a page ago, but how do you OD on Methadone? Isn't it like a opiate substitute that helps the opiate receptors without getting you loaded?

someone who takes methadone / oxy posted:

Methadone gives me no rush (actually I question whether or not oral opiates are capable of producing a rush...maybe at high doses), a little bit of euphoria, a decent bit of contentment, and a decent bit of sedation. Of course, all of that is dose dependant. The main thing that I really like about methadone is that it lasts for so long compared to oxy or h. If you take the right dose you're going strong for the entire day and a little into the night.

Methadone still leaves you pretty hosed up. Most people on methadone are probably still doing H too.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

glowing-fish posted:

Okay, we determined that the marine had a good reason for being ill-dressed for a gunfight.

Why is this woman walking across a desert in a ballgown, with a rain storm about to start?

Because she's not real :ssh:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Here, have some idiots on social media getting caught red handed conspiring to get this whole gamer gate thing of the ground.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Picnic Princess posted:

Motherfucker, I took my husband on dates in the wrong months of the year. So bad at this relationship poo poo. Thanks Facebook, for telling me how to wife better and reminding me I'm doing gender roles wrong. Next year, it's ONLY September that I will pay for our meal or suggest we go for a walk at sunset or something. And just once. Says right there "a date", not 'a bunch of dates'.

You realise this is all about tolerance right? Everyone should take a man out on a date. Men and women.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Considering that it seems to have been pushed primarily by LDS singles groups and other straight dating groups, I'm gonna have to say no, it is not in fact about tolerance. And to top it off, a whole lot of people posting things on FB and otherwise about it are bordering on MRA "why is it always men who have to do the hard things in the relationship like paying when women just have to show up?" arguments.

It's OK, I wasn't being serious, women shouldn't have to date men. That's just gross.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

:nws:Reply with this Priggee :nws:

edit: Fixed smilies

Birb Katter has a new favorite as of 03:39 on Sep 10, 2014

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Courtesy of AusPol

Gough Suppressant posted:

https://www.facebook.com/ross.a.lloyd.5?fref=ts / https://twitter.com/f22ross

quote:

The Sequel to "Soul Saviour" The Brotherhood's plans for a global Caliphate required maintaining an ally in the White House. The highly popular Governor “Gentleman Jack” Stevenson however, emerged as a serious threat to this requirement. Unfortunately Jack had an Achilles heel, his only child Emily. Taken hostage by the “Brotherhood” while she was holidaying in Turkey and subjected to unspeakable torment, Emily would need a miracle. She would need someone quite unique… While taking a much needed vacation with his friends riding across the US, Ryan and co would answer several cries for help before Ryan is asked to perform a miracle.

quote:

Soul Saviour" is a semi-autobiographical novel by Ross A Lloyd. The story describes the abduction of Lana, an American pop star, during a concert tour of Australia and of her serendipitous saviour, Ryan a reluctantly ageing bodybuilder from Canberra, a fictional alter ego of the author. It is written in free indirect speech.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh good, 99% of his Facebook feed is about how Muslims are sub-human and pure evil. That's great.

It only gets better

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Ross Lloyd's `Soul Saviour' is a sprawling, intelligent, darkly comic and dazzling homoerotic thriller. Rich in subtext, the novel acts as a razor sharp allegory for the challenges facing modern homosexuals in Australia, and confronts traditional notions of masculinity and maleness through its anachronistic and ironic central protagonist, `Ryan'.

The novel - a stunning debut by the author - is groundbreaking and fearless in its deconstruction of stale genre archetypes. Through his multilayered narrative, Lloyd revitalises the tired formulas that encumber the work of lesser writers, and presents the reader with a clear directive, look closer.

To wit, the (semi autobiographical) anti-hero's outer bravado and physical daring function as a counter narrative mechanism, highlighting his internal conflicts concerning his mortality, his naiveté, and his sexual identity. Furthermore, his desire to defend and to covet the novel's central female character, the virginal and unobtainable Lana, is analogous to the unrealistic pressure that men in modern society face to function within some sort of idyllic heterosexual nomenclature.

Here Lloyd utilises the notion of Islamic fundamentalism as the quintessence of religious conservativism and antiquated moral philosophy, and as Ryan battles terrorist hoards intent on harming Lana and himself, he is epitomizing the battles that have raged between progressives and traditionalists for millennia. By finally shattering Lana as well as her captors, then, Lloyd is also seeking to shatter society's normative orthodoxy regarding same sex companionship, and it is fitting that Ryan should be `set free' by her destruction in an astonishing orgiastic climax.

In fact, it is here that Lloyd's symbolism most meaningfully collides with his literalism, as Ryan's conflict with his inner sexual demons manifests into a physical battle with a tentacled monster that evokes epic phallic imagery and deeply sadomasochistic homoeroticism. Through the cleansing flames Ryan emerges triumphant, unshackled, un-apologetic, and un-closeted, and we the reader applaud joyfully.

With that said, there are moments in Soul Saviour where Lloyd's mask of ambivalence slips, and he strays into more overt acts of symbolism that arguably border on clumsy.
Scenes where Ryan `power lifts' with his cadre of comrades (read: lovers) in the gym strain the allegorical nature of the story to near breaking point, as we the reader cannot help but see two forms of sweaty exertion co-mingle and coalesce with stunning clarity. Thus, there is little need for Lloyd's subsequent `knowing winks' to the reader as he details Ryan's aching butt and tired muscles, because the imagery of Ryan's `machinegun-like' ability to fellate his partners is already crystal clear.

However, given the breathtaking double act that Lloyd is attempting through his central character, one can easily forgive the occasional flourishes of gay flamboyance that reduce the nuance of the piece, because his intentions are admirable and his execution is near flawless. Soul Saviour, therefore, is a brave and skilful coda to the revolutionary works of previous authors in the gay literature discourse, which seeks to shatter the paradigms of both the genre and society, and which - for the most part - succeeds with relish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ahahaha whaaaaaaat

Honestly, I kind of felt hell dump like but then I realise this guy really wants hell to dump on him. Also AusPol is great, buy AusPol bonds.

• Locked thread