Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Idiot Kicker posted:

I have several relatives that say that Catholics are not Christians at all.

Pretty common belief among Evangelical Christians. Being Catholic, and living in the South, I've heard that loads from Southern Baptists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Another person I keep around for stupidity. They actually work for PETA (I live in the same metropolitan area as their headquarters). They post a lot of things like this that show they have little understanding of the feasability of a worldwide vegan diet, charity, poverty, animal rights as anything but the hardline PETA model, etc.

I don't bother calling them out, even being frequently vegan and an animal rights activist myself, because you swiftly learn in this area that getting into slap fights with PETA members is just not worth it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Racial essentialism is a 'nonracist/sexist/whatever' way of essentially saying all white people are this, all black people are that, all Chinese people are this thing. Or all women are this, all men are that, etc. It ignores the fact that people are made up of several labels, and that just because you're the same race, doesn't mean say, a black woman in the US has the same experiences as an African woman from Nigeria.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I have one of those parents on my facebook. She's also the crunchy granola hippie one, so that's fun. She unschools, for added bonus.

I will say though, through the circles I've run in having a special needs child, I've known a fair number of people who become those crazy "I know what is best for my child!" parents because they've been failed by the system time and time again when it comes to their child's needs in education. You kind of have to become that parent in that case. They take it to extremes, but for some it's coming from a legitimate place.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'd also like for there to be a video game store nearby that stocks hard to find things, old Nintendo carts, and has consoles hooked up for people to hang out and play on, but I also realize that this is a stupid business venture guaranteed to fail. A poo poo load of games released these days aren't ever put on physical media. I buy all of my new games on Steam. Why would I bother going somewhere when I can buy games cheaper with less effort, even at 2 a.m. when I'm naked and drunk? If I'm looking for old/out of print stuff or am collecting cartridges I'll have an easier time finding rare stuff or exactly what I'm looking for here on the interwebz.

The problem is that, as nice as it would be to have that kind of store around, the internet does literally everything it can do far, far better and more conveniently. I just accept that and get on with my life. Same thing with books, really. It's all digital now.

I remember, when I was a kid, there were arcades literally everywhere. There were also arcade games at gas stations, theaters, malls, wherever. drat things were pretty much all over, ready to eat every quarter you have. Now they only exist in far smaller numbers and mostly hang around in far smaller numbers to prey on nostalgia.

Those type of stores are not really guaranteed failures. We have some thriving stores like that around here, including one that stocks as far back as Atari 2600 carts. It's definitely not going to make mad bank, but a store like that can take off fairly successfully, especially if they also buy used games from customers.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

A good chunk of that's knowing the area and what degree of business is possible.

Case in point, a recently married friend of mine moved from here to Wilkes, NC because his wife wanted to be closer to her parents since their health's poorly. He's fairly nerdly, games a lot, watches the usual batch of sci-fi and all, and here in Albuquerque, there's a pretty decent market for that. Since his move, he doesn't have the same access to the nerdly pursuits like he did here and was seriously debating opening up a collectibles/games/comics type brick and mortar store. Considering Wilkes is one of those small Southern towns where things close early and the big job choices are either Lowes or the Tyson chicken plant, it took a bit of talking to convince him a genre store like that was a very bad idea.

Yeah, I suspect they do well enough here partly because there are a few colleges around, and because we're a big Navy area. So there's a constant influx of relatively young people, a lot of which will likely be into nerdy things.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

When I was at university in the States I had people telling me that if I hadn't gone into the Army I wouldn't have had any financial aid because I'm white. My family's net come (we were farmers so the gross and net are pretty different) was something like $8k so I'm sure we'd have tons of financial aid. Couldn't convince dumb white middle class people of this though.

Depends. FAFSA doesn't use net, it uses adjusted gross income. So depending on deductions, it'd not be as much as $8k net would make you think it'd be.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

bonestructure posted:

I'm a gigantic hippie, but I have no idea what the hell "soursop" is.

It's just yet another fruit that's common in countries outside the US and Europe, so the crunchy granola lot decided it's on the BESTEST HEALTHIEST FOODS list. It might actually have some medicinal uses (still too early to tell), but it's mostly just hippie white people latching onto another 'exotic' food.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I so wanted to give this guy (red) the benefit of the doubt. He's not really all together in the head sometimes, and sometimes doesn't realize how things he says might sound, but....

Ugggggh. Why do people do this and think it's anything but intensely stupid and creepy?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I have two friends on Facebook who recently started dating. Within the last month or so. And now literally every post (multiple posts a day, each) is about "Teehee, we're sooooo in ~love~." I really wish I wasn't serious about the literally part.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I like that the whole "But what about this kid" ignores that the murderers were arrested and charged within days of the shooting, and that the reason they didn't face the death penalty is because Georgia doesn't allow it for crimes committed by someone under the age 18 (one was 17, the other 15).

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

kannonfodder posted:

I CONSUMED DIFFERENT MEDIA AS A CHILD THAN CHILDREN DO TODAY, THEREFORE I AM SUPERIOR.

Things like the Magnavox Odyssey and the VCRs of the 60s beg to differ that 80s kids were the first to play video games and use VCRs.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The thing that always gets me is the people who post things like that have clearly never been on food stamps, or known anyone who was. You don't get a million dollars with which to buy endless mountains of crap. And if you do buy one singular mountain, better hope it lasts you until the next deposit on your card because that's all you'll be getting for the month.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

This person has been nonstop posting "MURICA" stuff for like the last month. It is getting a tad old.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It baffles me how people somehow reconcile the very idea of democracy with "Let's roll in, kill everyone, and make them accept ~FREEDOM~ :911:".

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That last comment apparently doesn't know of the existence of food deserts.

Others, that sales happen. I bought frog legs with EBT once, because they were on a crazy cheap sale.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Macaluso posted:

It's just amazing that people have such little understanding of how much you can buy with EBT. You only get limited funds each month, and quite frankly it's not very much, and then you can't buy anything that's NOT food which includes plenty of poo poo you need around your house. And it DOESN'T buy beer despite what people say. I imagine a lot of people see them swipe their EBT card after their beer has already been scanned, not realize that you can have it on the same order, the card will just ignore any non EBT stuff.

Anything that's not food, and some that are food. What did and did not count as pre-made was confusing when I was on it. I could buy a whole rotisserie chicken from the deli section of Food Lion, precooked/seasoned/all that. But not a premade sandwich or the like.

The 7-11 near my house found a loophole where they couldn't sell their whole, cooked pizzas on EBT. But they could sell it to you frozen, and then cook it there.

AngryRobotsInc has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Sep 10, 2014

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Imagined posted:

Also wasn't in a food desert. My store was a mile away from a 24 hour grocery store.

Not commenting on the rest, because it would just turn into me ranting, but this is just wrong. Part of the definition of a food desert is how easy it is to access grocery stores. If you've never tried to grocery shop for a whole family without access to a car, you have no idea how far a mile can really be when you need to get those groceries from the store to your place. I live riiiiight on the outskirts of a food desert (we are about 1/2 a mile to the nearest grocery store), and the only reason we were able to actually still reasonably shop at that store when we were without a working vehicle was because the Dollar Tree that closed in that shopping center forgot one of their shopping carts when they left, and we took it on home with us.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dude has obviously not hung out with a bunch of the "Let me remind you how Irish I am!" Irish-Americans, because good lord, can some of them bitch at great length about the Fighting Irish name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Hoooly poo poo, I can't imagine raising your child as an atheist and not explaining how rude it is to say stuff like that. I mean, having to conform to that sort of stuff also sucks, but I was never actually expected to say the pledge if I didn't want anyway.

I totally can. I unfortunately known a ton of the super smug "lol you believe in an invisible sky wizard smuggity smug smug" style atheists, who see absolutely nothing rude, condescending, or just downright mean about acting that way to people. I can easily see them teaching their kids to be that way.

• Locked thread