Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PUGGERNAUT posted:

This is rad. If I weren't already dead-set on Cee Lo doing the next Bond song, I'd be rooting for this to happen.

You might have to wait a bit for that, they've already confirmed that Adele will be doing the theme for the next movie.

Though honestly, I'd be fine with her being, like, the Shirley Bassey of this Bond era, and just pop back in from time to time to do another theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

aas Bandit posted:

Another #YesAllWomen post inspired a really impressive meltdown last night. Sorry for the length of this, but it was just too drat good (bad?) to shorten.
God drat.

etc. etc. etc.

"Well women actually have it better! They don't have to sign up for the draft!"
"Okay well what about ending the draft?"
"Well okay but countless men have died in wars so it will always be worse for them. Let's see if you can solve that problem, smarty :smug:"

This guy is quite the debater!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Kavak posted:

The children of those with low enough moral fiber to consume illegal substances will just grow up into more of the same. It is better that they die and decrease the surplus population!

I've seen people in the Freep thread defend Scrooge and quote his "Are there no prisons? No workhouses?" line, so I wouldn't be shocked if people unashamedly believe this.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Arkham City has more than one file, dummies.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Higgy posted:

My favorite thing, besides the oversimplification of taxation as a concept, is the hammer and sickle "x" in "extorted".

http://taxfoundation.org/article/us-federal-individual-income-tax-rates-history-1913-2013-nominal-and-inflation-adjusted-brackets

Not only is this BS right off the bat (income has been taxed since at least 1862, according to the first excel document on that site), income tax rates are now astronomically low compared to most of the 20th century. For instance, a single person earning $450,000 or more last year would have been included in the highest tax bracket with a tax rate of 39.6%. Seems like a hefty chunk, until you realize that, in the year 1954, which I'd be willing to bet whoever posted this includes in the "good ol' days" they masturbate to, the equivalent income to $450,000 today (roughly $52,000) would be taxed at 75%.

Not to mention that income tax rates went even further back then, all the way to 91%! Yet somehow, even with the benevolent ***JOB CREATORS*** having most of their income wrested away from them, we had a healthy, stable economy. How about that.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

A political cartoon that makes me happy? What wizardry is this?

Ruben Bolling is amazing. His Lucky Ducky cartoons are just as brilliant, though significantly more depressing:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Scarf posted:

Talk poo poo again... I double-dare you.

This is probably the greatest thing ever.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh, I'm sure we all have a part that wants that sort of store nearby but in the real world they are are a dying thing in a declining industry.

You realize that second statement shouldn't be true if the first one was, right? Everyone collectively shrugging their shoulders and going, "Welp, dying industry!" are a big part of WHY these stores are dying out/nearly impossible to start nowadays.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
E: ^^^ I can't argue with that sentiment :D The Library's a great way to discover new books, but there are certain authors I know I like, so buying one of their books new is a relatively safe bet.

Fatkraken posted:

PART of us wants these stores to exist because they're nice to browse and chat with the owners, another part really does find digital distribution better than physical books in a physical store. Even secondhand paper books can be bought online more easily than in person, through Amazon (though technically amazon is a middleman for most of these, the business actually fulfilling the order might well be a small local bricks and mortar store which has seen the writing on the wall and diversified)

That's true, but I think "used" could be a good way to go for a lot of brick-and-mortar businesses. I'd love to have a used book store to see what weird stuff I could find; I was browsing in Goodwill a little while ago and found an Indiana Jones book, the Star Wars horror novel Deathtroopers, and some pulp western paperback, all for a buck apiece. I'm sure I could get those that cheaply online, but I doubt I ever would have sought them out- there's something about the fun of browsing through a store and finding little treasures like that that buying online can't replicate. Along the same lines, a local comic shop has rows and rows of boxes of old, dusty records for a dollar each. It makes it almost an event to go there, because there's no telling what strange gems I might find buried there.

And Kindles and stuff like that are neat, and really useful for someone who travels a lot or has a long commute, but for me at least they can't beat having an actual physical book. I like collecting books, and having my own copy of each- even though I know a digital copy would still be the same product, it just feels like a less interesting way to build a collection.

Nikaer Drekin has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Jul 22, 2014

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Excels posted:

Wonder Woman movie has the potential to be really empowering or really bad, hopefully it is the former.

Well, given that the movie's being made by Zack "Sucker Punch" Snyder, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Hedera Helix posted:

Fedora-wearer White person spotted.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

One of the most original videos yet! And by that we mean the 300,000,000th ice bucket challenge video!!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

"Guys, stop being racist, you might give people the impression that there's still racism in America!"

Stunning.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

kinmik posted:

Speaking of the ice bucket challenge, one of the girls I never speak to has liked Buzzfeed's page so I'm inundated with posts from them, every single one going, "Shut it down! [Blank] has won! This is the best ALS ice bucket challenge I've ever seen!" So far, it's been Chris Pratt, Charlie Sheen, Britney Spears, Patrick Stewart, and now Benedict Cumberbatch (the last two were on the same day). There will continue to be ALS awareness videos, each of them "better". Stop saying that. gently caress you Buzzfeed.

Besides, Mega64's already made the best Ice Bucket Challenge video, and I don't see anyone topping it.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Buzkashi posted:

A "money moon" if you will

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You guys should just gently caress and get it over with

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

A #GamerGate proponent trying to make a point with a loving CAD comic is probably the most perfect summation of that entire movement I've seen.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I think most people understand it's a joke, but it's a mediocre one stretched out too long to hit at all and also toes the line between "Haha, men are pigs" and "Wow this dude is a total creep". It's so lame and weird that it being earnest would honestly be an improvement, because then you could laugh at it.

It's also built on a weird bedrock of anti-Muslim sentiment that makes it hard to dismiss as a harmless dad joke.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have literally never seen anything that Joss Whedon was involved in except the Avengers, but people get really mad about him in Cinema Discusso. Apparently he is really bad at blocking shots and this makes people super mad.

Joss Whedon is a fairly good writer with a talent for (if not slight over-reliance on) witty, quippy dialogue. He's made some cool movies and shows. However, he's also basically the number one object of obsession for tropers and other annoying nerds on the internet, and I'd say that's where most of the backlash comes from.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Herman Cain is a black Republican, therefore Republican policies cannot be racist! :eng101:

e: Also you're going to have to summarize because there's no way I'm spending 25 minutes on this

Nikaer Drekin has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Sep 14, 2014

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Aaaaaghhh, kids are not loving "intuitive" about this poo poo, they see you doing something (not realizing you're a hopeless dumbass since they don't have a big frame of reference) and imitate it. That's how they learn.

Nikaer Drekin has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Sep 14, 2014

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The last line is the best part. "This is a VERY FUNNY JOKE!"

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

big duck equals goose posted:

I don't mean to be crass or interrupting your thread of nonstop "Waa people are dumb because they dislike liberal things" or whatever. But come on... None of you are going to defend McDonalds coffee? I'm shocked and disgusted. I hate fast food too, but the mere thought of that poster saying McDonalds coffee is "Like a unwashed sock" and no one calling him out right afterwards fills me with dread for humanity and it's future.

We're all laughing, you can go now

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

kazil posted:

GamerGate is Benghazi for a younger generation.

This is pretty dead-on; both stemmed from unfortunate circumstances (on completely different levels, of course) and have since been co-opted as a rallying cry by morons with terrible opinions whose obsessions will produce exactly zero positive change.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Anyone curious about the whole intersex topic should read Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I mean, it's a novel, so I'm not sure whether it's completely factual, but I believe the intersex community has had a positive reaction to it- it does a really good job of getting into the mindset of an intersex person.

Plus it's just a drat fine book in general- it won the Pulitzer for fiction!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Militree posted:

This whole GamerGate fiasco makes me want to look back at the Jack Thompson thing and see if maybe the gaming side was acting just as childish and petulant. I remember my friend, who isn't a gamer, saying she saw him speak and he was reasonably level headed.

To be fair he was permanently disbarred, so there's clearly some problems on his side.

SybilVimes posted:

I was just glad that Ebert could use the same introspection on his medium of choice, and didn't just hand wave away his 'games aren't art' routine when things like Transformers comes along.

Oh wait, no, he loved that piece of poo poo high art.

The important thing to know about Ebert's reviews was that he judged movies based on what category they fit into. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to rank a superhero movie at the same artistic level as, say, Schindler's List, since they're both trying to accomplish completely different things. So a four-star review from him didn't mean "the greatest of films, exceptional high art", but rather that it excelled at what it set out to do.

And the first Transformers movie is a reasonably fun popcorn movie, even though the sequels were utter garbage.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Crain posted:

They literally think that [anything pig] is to Muslims as garlic and being invited in is to Vampires don't they?

There's a reason the Political Cartoon Thread's title for a while was "Ham Stoker's Dracallah"

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Godfather: The Game is gaming's The Godfather

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

:jerkbag:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pretty standard religious forward stuff, but dear lord those artifacts

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

kannonfodder posted:

Exactly. Men can claim to be whatever they want, but at the end of the day, they don't even slightly matter in the discussions of feminism. If a woman tells you to shut up about feminist issues, and you claim to support feminism, you shut the gently caress up.

Less "it's about MEEEEE" as "it's not about you".

So, the purpose of feminism is to gather all the women in the world an establish a women's only planet? Because otherwise, like it or not, men are going to have to be involved in discussions of feminism because women live in a society that contains men. Like, I agree that people being super proud of themselves for being "allies" is dumb because they basically want a pat on the back for not being a terrible person, this idea is just as dumb.

What about the white people that took part in sit-ins and freedom rides during the Civil Rights movement? Should black people have just told them "gently caress off, we're doing this ourselves"?

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, I think the "they don't even slightly matter in the discussions of feminism" part threw me off. Going back it seems more like they're saying that men shouldn't be running the discussion, which I'd whole-heartedly agree with.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But if you dare to suggest that, well, maybe we should provide support for men in those situations too you get branded a heretic and have people demanding your blood. Well that's been my experience with the internet, anyway.

Hey, I didn't know I stumbled into the shitthatdidnthappen.txt thread!

Anyways let's stop talking about tumblr and make fun of dummies on Facebook.

To be fair this kid does seem to be having genuine problems with an inconsiderate roommate, but this weird level of ignorance/Islamophobia was just funny to me.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

theironjef posted:

Best response is generally to point out that someone is right, but they're an rear end in a top hat. :911:

Calmer'n you are.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mr E posted:

I had hoped to avoid idiots after tonight's speech, but I suppose not.

Well, she's right, respect is EARNED. Obviously, as part of a military family, George W. Bush earned her respect by lying about WMDs and sending the troops overseas to die by the thousands in a pointless war. But Obummer saluted with a coffee cup in hand (probably a sissy latte), so that basically amounts to treason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
From my local conservative Facebook idiot:

:rolleyes:

So I click on "Progressive & Radical" to see if it's an actual established category that people use, and I'm greeted with this:

• Locked thread