Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Shall we compile a group of people's Wii U username? That way we can have a solid group of goons to play with on day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Do we have an updated list of goons on Wii U? I've got no one on my friends list and it's in desperate need of being updated.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I didn't realize how much I wanted that game until now.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'll add all of you when I get off of work today....but for now, my NNID is Kirios86

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This thread is filled with people who are convinced they will suck against Goons.

So who is the goon who's confident they'll dominate everyone else?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dibs on Ludwig.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkk this thing is taking forever to download.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This game is really loving good you guys.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

We need more Mario Kart goons in the Goonvitational Tournament.

Edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638782

Edit 2: I'd like to proclaim Mount Wario as the best course.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mario Kart 64 WAS the best Mario Kart.

That's been changed. This is 100% the best Mario Kart game ever made. The last one I played was Wii and I NEVER had as much fun as I am on this game.

Mount Wario 4 life

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

deadwing posted:

I don't agree with this. A first place player should be vulnerable. He typically has only has one player attacking him with one item (red shells) and one, now extremely rare, item that targets only him. Compare this to someone in the middle of the pack who is literally being hosed up by everything. Banana peels from the first few players, fire flowers from the back and front, boomerangs cutting through swaths of players, it's really tough to be in the middle.

Even with the coin, this Mario Kart is easily the easiest to hold onto a first place position. The trick is, as soon as you get an item you can drag behind you, drag that motherfucker for as long as you can. Don't go dropping it right before the next set of item blocks. You'll get a coin, and the guy behind you will get a red shell. The rate that the coin appears isn't a problem, the fact that you can game the system by just holding onto an item is. Three times today in the Goon Room I was in second place against a racer using a kart with a higher top speed than mine. I'd go over an item box and get a loving Bob-Omb. A Bob-Omb that I had no chance in hell of using to close the gap between me and the first player that was way further ahead than me. All I could do is drop it behind me and just clear my distance from The Pack.

Personally, I feel that's a problem. I'm the kind of guy who thinks that in a Mario Kart game, the most skilled player in the room should be winning, at most, 50% of the time. The other 11 players should have a shot through a lucky combination of items. Right now, it feels like the most skilled player in a match has a much higher chance than that to win. It also seems that top speed is way superior to the other stats with the extremely low chance of you getting pegged with a Blue Shell up in front. There's no reason to worry about acceleration when nothing's hitting you.

What was your name in the Goon Tournament?

PerrineClostermann posted:

By the way, this just happened today while playing with my friend.

It's definitely Mario Kart, alright.

Dude...that's nothing. In the Goon Tournament games I've gone from first to 10th with about six hits in a row.

Goons are relentless motherfuckers. They don't care if you've had a bad stretch - they'll make sure they get theirs.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

You and Logan are pretty great at the game too...I dread seeing a Waluigi behind me. :(

deadwing posted:

Royal, and I was definitely the guy behind you, the skilled player. :v:

Props to you, you are very good at the game. I was really feeling the burn though when you were able to take off right from the starting line at a faster speed than me, and pick up every single coin in front of me due to us following nearly identical drift lines.

I don't believe you're doing the fastest starting dash you can. From what I've seen you wait slightly too long to push the gas.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Racing against goons will harden your nerve and make you a pretty good karter. I did a couple of public regional games before calling it for the night...and dominated both of them. I rarely win in goon games...but sheesh, compared to goons public people are jokes..and these are people with near 2k ratings already!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I...kind of like Grumble Volcano? Granted I took a LOT of lumps on that level on the Wii one...so that's probably why.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So...two days in....what's everyone's favorite tracks? Curious if there's a consensus on best tracks in MK8.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

OH NO MAN posted:

drat you thread, stop making me want to buy this. Seems like the best Mario Kart in a long time and me and my friends could use another good game for drunk multiplayer (I'm pretty sure nothing will ever beat drunk F-Zero GX, though), but that would mean I'd need to shell out for a bunch of Pro controllers. :shepspends:

It is tempting, though...

edit: oh okay it supports the Wii classic controller too, that'll help a bit

Not only is this the best Mario Kart in a long time, but IMO it's the best Mario Kart ever made. The new tracks are almost all incredibly well done and anti gravity is a super fun mechanic!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've had wonderful success online with Rosalina + Circuit Special + Cyber Slick tires. It's a weird combination...and it took some getting used to, but it's near top speed in the game with some respectable handling. Once you get the admittedly tricky power slide down (You have to go outward for a second then you can turn *SHARPLY* into a turn) you'll pull away from the pack. That speed is something else. :stare:

I tried Wario with this combination, but the turning just was not there. I lost a few seconds in time trial on Music Park and Pirahna Plant Slide.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Biggest shortcut ever? I'm sorry, but nothing will top Rainbow Road 64 shortcut. :colbert:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I honestly think speed is the king online. The goal is to get as much top speed as you can handle while still being able to do sharp turns.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

dude789 posted:

To whomever it was who threw the Blue Shell at the end of the last lap of Toad's Turnpike this evening in goon room, I just want you to know that would have been my first and thus far only win in goon room in about 250 points worth of races and I was quite displeased.

I actually think that was me...oops.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

loving great...like this game needed its own version of snaking.

Well, I'll probably play this for a few more weeks before everyone online does this. Snaking and its equivalents can go gently caress themselves forever.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I thought I was unique for playing as Rosalina early into my MK8 career.

I may have to change... :(

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Maple Leaf posted:

Roughly 40, believe it or not.

Oh, stop it :kimchi:

Mmmmmmmmm...I don't think I've raced you before. I'm not 100% convinced you're the best...yet. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Would anyone complain if I said this was the best Mario Kart ever? Because it is.

• Locked thread