Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Mo_Steel posted:

"Web-cam abortions" :confused: What in the hell?

The only people interested in watching them would be loving freakshow anti-abortion people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Wonder if the best course would be to just let the republicans take it as far as they want to expedite restlessness among the masses? Maybe it would get even the staunchest republican's stance to waver if things got really, really lovely.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SnowblindFatal posted:

Wonder if the best course would be to just let the republicans take it as far as they want to expedite restlessness among the masses? Maybe it would get even the staunchest republican's stance to waver if things got really, really lovely.

Oh good, we made it 3 pages before Accelerationism turned up again.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

SnowblindFatal posted:

Accelerationism is dumb.

The more power they get, the more power they get; the more they control the message, the more they control the message. It isn't a win for anyone but them if they acquire more power and message control.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Wonder if the best course would be to just let my alcoholism take it as far as I want to expedite restlessness among my family? Maybe it would get even the staunchest enabler's stance to waver if things got really, really lovely.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

inthesto posted:

If you all are going to be despair drinking, just cut to the chase and pound away at the forties. They carry social stigma for a reason.

Any update on projections for the Senate next year? Like, are people still expecting Republicans to take the majority?

Latest poll I saw it was 51-49, Republican majority. I know that mid-term elections tend to favor the party out of power, but it still astounds me that people would want to give the reins back to those chickenfuckers.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I don't drink, but if I start I'm at least comfortable in the knowledge that there's never been a better time to do so.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't drink, but if I start I'm at least comfortable in the knowledge that there's never been a better time to do so.

You're really ignorant of history if you believe this to be true.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Dystram posted:

One party wants to, at the very least, prevent collapse, while the other wants to burn the house down and nuke the site from orbit to prevent any house from being built there ever again. Our political system is not untenable; one party and the portion of the electorate that votes for them is so vitriolic, hateful, ignorant, and stupid that they are untenable, and never were tenable.

I do understand the sentiment, but I also have republican family members and they'll tell you it's the Democrats. It's hard to say "our system is fine, except for half of the electorate who are inhuman monsters."

Honestly this is part of the problem that we have become so used to demonizing the other side and anyone who supports them that we're not even looking for bipartisanship because there's no political gain in compromise.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

You're really ignorant of history if you believe this to be true.

Yeah, there's never been a bad time to get wasted.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

Well gently caress me I thought that wasn't out until September

Nope came out in April and is sitting at the top of my to read list after finishing Foote's Civil War Trilogy.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/31/constitutional-conundrum-michigan-demand-for-a-bal/?page=all

Have their been any developments with this?

I can see Congress being of two minds about a Constitutional Convention:

Pros:

Oligarchs could finally rig the Constitution in their favor

Cons:

People could actually give a poo poo and it would be the end of the two party system and the 'totally not bribes' campaign donation gravy train

A mass movement to engage young people in the political system is vital to drive out the old people still fighting the battles of the 1960's.

Also alcoholism is bad, 420 blaze it instead.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Nope came out in April and is sitting at the top of my to read list after finishing Foote's Civil War Trilogy.

Dang, man, making me want more books. Never read Foote's, and after Grant's memoirs, I'm hankering for an epic history. :sigh:

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

RadicalWall posted:

I do understand the sentiment, but I also have republican family members and they'll tell you it's the Democrats. It's hard to say "our system is fine, except for half of the electorate who are inhuman monsters."

Honestly this is part of the problem that we have become so used to demonizing the other side and anyone who supports them that we're not even looking for bipartisanship because there's no political gain in compromise.

The difference is that most Democrats don't hold monstrous, inhuman viewpoints.

Why shouldn't we demonize those with demonic views?

Also, Democrats have been endlessly compromising with Republicans for about 30 years or so now. The result of that is a slow decline; compromise with Republicans - who have no views but hateful, destructive, and selfish ones - only results in slow decline.

Dystram fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 7, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

A constitutional convention is probably the worst thing that could be done now. Every state legislature getting to pick the worst hacks to possibly re-write the constitution would fast track us to a civil war more than anything.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's hard to find a middle ground in a political climate that is basically 'Birchers vs. Yuppies'

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Being a Yuppie isnt bad

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

inthesto posted:

Any update on projections for the Senate next year? Like, are people still expecting Republicans to take the majority?

548/Nate Silver is still projecting a 60% chance for GOP majority in the Senate after this next election cycle, last I heard.

And the GOP has taken that and run with it. Apparently we're due for a new Red Wave.

EDIT: And I believe that's for a simple majority, not supermajority.

EDIT2:

Dystram posted:

The difference is that most Democrats don't hold monstrous, inhuman viewpoints.

Why shouldn't we demonize those with demonic views?

Case in point.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Drink chat: I've been loving Dark and Stormy recently, dark rum (though I've been using Sailor Jerry's), ginger beer and a slice of lime. Smooth and perfect for summer political protection.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tbp posted:

Being a Yuppie isnt bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCicqORi8Mc&t=130s

When Jimmy Carter says we don't have democracy I think he is referring to our 'choice' between a Rabid Reaganist party and a Moderate Reaganist party

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Drink chat: I've been loving Dark and Stormy recently, dark rum (though I've been using Sailor Jerry's), ginger beer and a slice of lime. Smooth and perfect for summer political protection.

I know it's cliche, but I for real love whiskey sours and it's my go to drink when it's over 70 out and scotch is what I drink the rest of the time.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

McDowell posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCicqORi8Mc&t=130s

When Jimmy Carter says we don't have democracy I think he is referring to our 'choice' between a Rabid Reaganist party and a Moderate Reaganist party

I've seen American Psycho, it's a good film, but the critique isn't necessarily totally accurate.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

A constitutional convention is probably the worst thing that could be done now. Every state legislature getting to pick the worst hacks to possibly re-write the constitution would fast track us to a civil war more than anything.

Given the huge successes and ironclad control of state legislature by the GOP, a CC would likely be run by the noted minds of Ryan, Kristol, Cantor, and all the best and brightest serious policy wonks they can bring to bear.

I'm suddenly less enthused by this idea.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

silvergoose posted:

Dang, man, making me want more books. Never read Foote's, and after Grant's memoirs, I'm hankering for an epic history. :sigh:

Be forewarned that Foote's narrative is three volumes long, and they're not short volumes either. Also, Foote is very sympathetic to Jefferson Davis, though he doesn't cross the line into Lost Cause apologia. It's a good read despite this, but seriously you're going to need to invest a lot of time to get through it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Constitutional conventions in the sense of writing a whole new one have never made sense as a solution to bad times in the US. The US constitution is not the level of all-encompassing document other countries tend to have, which make full scale rewrite sessions make more sense.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Be forewarned that Foote's narrative is three volumes long, and they're not short volumes either. Also, Foote is very sympathetic to Jefferson Davis, though he doesn't cross the line into Lost Cause apologia. It's a good read despite this, but seriously you're going to need to invest a lot of time to get through it.

The Jefferson Davis stuff is weird, he opens volume 1 by talking up Davis and it almost made me want to stop.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tbp posted:

I've seen American Psycho, it's a good film, but the critique isn't necessarily totally accurate.

As part of their skin-deep social concern; Yuppies are generally averse to any kind of action requiring hardship or sacrifice, which are necessary to prevent disaster in the long term.

Install Windows posted:

Constitutional conventions in the sense of writing a whole new one have never made sense as a solution to bad times in the US. The US constitution is not the level of all-encompassing document other countries tend to have, which make full scale rewrite sessions make more sense.

I think pretty substantial changes are needed (such as term limits and the length of the election cycle, public election funds, reassigning federal/state roles, and more) and these would require major revisions.

As for Jefferson Davis, if Ken Burns' 'Civil War' is anything to go on, the dude had a really hard time managing the Confederacy because it was made up of State's Rights idiots who didn't understand how a centralized government is vital during a war.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 7, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

McDowell posted:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/31/constitutional-conundrum-michigan-demand-for-a-bal/?page=all

Have their been any developments with this?

I can see Congress being of two minds about a Constitutional Convention:

Pros:

Oligarchs could finally rig the Constitution in their favor

Cons:

People could actually give a poo poo and it would be the end of the two party system and the 'totally not bribes' campaign donation gravy train

A mass movement to engage young people in the political system is vital to drive out the old people still fighting the battles of the 1960's.

Also alcoholism is bad, 420 blaze it instead.

So the worst idea in politics has been replaced for that title by an idea to enact the precious worst idea.

Like, I can't possibly see how a new constitutional convention won't end up completely loving us on every level. I started listing what we could expect based off actions at the state level and ideological beliefs on the motivated participants and had to stop because I just kept going. Like minimum, I'd expect the declaration we are a Christian nation, banning gay marriage, and ditching the equal protection clause. Realistically you are going to be looking at a huge push to restrict the federal government and state actions so that basically every general welfare provision we've bled to get in place for the past 227 years will be gone.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

OAquinas posted:

Given the huge successes and ironclad control of state legislature by the GOP, a CC would likely be run by the noted minds of Ryan, Kristol, Cantor, and all the best and brightest serious policy wonks they can bring to bear.

I'm suddenly less enthused by this idea.

The Paul Ryan Amendment: Poor people must explain the full economic impact of the Ryan Budget, in great detail, to receive scraps off the table.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The Jefferson Davis stuff is weird, he opens volume 1 by talking up Davis and it almost made me want to stop.

I put it down to Foote being a Mississippian, and if I remember right from an interview he gave for Ken Burn's The Civil War when he was growing up in MS Davis was still a very-much admired figure.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I remember when Shelby Foote appeared in a Civil War documentary about "white brothers fighting each other, the tragedy".

Slavery wasn't mentioned at all, as far as I recall.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

Like minimum, I'd expect the declaration we are a Christian nation, banning gay marriage, and ditching the equal protection clause. Realistically you are going to be looking at a huge push to restrict the federal government and state actions so that basically every general welfare provision we've bled to get in place for the past 227 years will be gone.

I'm betting that an attempt to institutionalize partisan poo poo like that would get people to pay attention. But I doubt Congress will ever let a convention happen since it would threaten their comfy existence.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah I saw that in the reviews, will take under advisement.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I don't think the finance high-flyers and socialites in American Psycho are yuppies. They're at the top, not moving towards it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

silvergoose posted:

Yeah I saw that in the reviews, will take under advisement.

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but have you read "Battle cry of Freedom"? Its an excelent read, and was my textbook in my civil war class.

Its one of the very few textbooks I kept and still read from time to time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Cimber posted:

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but have you read "Battle cry of Freedom"? Its an excelent read, and was my textbook in my civil war class.

Think so? Anyway, maybe we should stop derailing into civil war book chat. There's an american history thread I'm pretty sure, for that sort of thing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Cimber posted:

Anyone needing a high quality basic history of the war could do far worse than Battle Cry of Freedom. I had the luck, man years ago, to see a panel discussion in DC between McPhearson (author of Battle Cry of Freedom, for those that don't know), Eric Foner (Marxian author of Reconstruction, among other things), and a third guy who's name I forget because he wasn't McPhearson or Foner. Specifically, they were discussion the Confederate naval efforts and their drive to build river ironclads, at the expense of their already-inadequate rail network (lacking many ironworks, they couldn't roll new armor-grade plate and instead used salvaged rail iron). It was pretty amazing, makes me wish I'd stayed an Americanist some times.

McDowell posted:

As for Jefferson Davis, if Ken Burns' 'Civil War' is anything to go on, the dude had a really hard time managing the Confederacy because it was made up of State's Rights idiots who didn't understand how a centralized government is vital during a war.

Also, by all accounts Davis was something of an abrasive prick in person, and never felt he needed to justify his actions so long as they were internally consistent and he believed them to be right.

EDIT: you're right, we should stop derailing. Sorry, the Civil War's a weak spot for me.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

McDowell posted:

I'm betting that an attempt to institutionalize partisan poo poo like that would get people to pay attention. But I doubt Congress will ever let a convention happen since it would threaten their comfy existence.

Get them to pay attention, sure. Stop it, I doubt it.

Given that this is the first I heard about it a month after it happened I expect as a thing it is going nowhere but googling it is a thing on the newsmax/infowars circuit

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Anyone needing a high quality basic history of the war could do far worse than Battle Cry of Freedom. I had the luck, man years ago, to see a panel discussion in DC between McPhearson (author of Battle Cry of Freedom, for those that don't know), Eric Foner (Marxian author of Reconstruction, among other things), and a third guy who's name I forget because he wasn't McPhearson or Foner. Specifically, they were discussion the Confederate naval efforts and their drive to build river ironclads, at the expense of their already-inadequate rail network (lacking many ironworks, they couldn't roll new armor-grade plate and instead used salvaged rail iron). It was pretty amazing, makes me wish I'd stayed an Americanist some times.

Also, by all accounts Davis was something of an abrasive prick in person, and never felt he needed to justify his actions so long as they were internally consistent and he believed them to be right.

EDIT: you're right, we should stop derailing. Sorry, the Civil War's a weak spot for me.

One last thing before we go back to modern civil war. When I lived in Florida a few years back I was driving home late one night and was listening to AM radio. They had a few 'scholars' on talking about the war, and more than one person called in and referred to it as "the War of Northern Aggression." Very very weird.

but a lot of these feelings persist to today, and still color our modern political landscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Cimber posted:

One last thing before we go back to modern civil war. When I lived in Florida a few years back I was driving home late one night and was listening to AM radio. They had a few 'scholars' on talking about the war, and more than one person called in and referred to it as "the War of Northern Aggression." Very very weird.

but a lot of these feelings persist to today, and still color our modern political landscape.

The Civil War was referred to as "The War of Northern Aggression" consistently by multiple high school teachers of mine in South Carolina when I was there.

And this wasn't in some po-dunk nowhere part of SC, this was the rich white conservative part of Lexington County in one of the best high schools in the state (and then I went into their IB program and the term became a joke among teachers and students).

EDIT: This isn't including the many colorful characters I met around SC who fervently believed that it was indeed the War of Northern Aggression.

• Locked thread