Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

A constitutional convention is probably the worst thing that could be done now. Every state legislature getting to pick the worst hacks to possibly re-write the constitution would fast track us to a civil war more than anything.

Given the huge successes and ironclad control of state legislature by the GOP, a CC would likely be run by the noted minds of Ryan, Kristol, Cantor, and all the best and brightest serious policy wonks they can bring to bear.

I'm suddenly less enthused by this idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Jagchosis posted:

Probably hold John Kerry in contempt, because why the gently caress not. On the plus side their tough talking "prosecutor" heading the committee looks like a cross between Julian Assange and Pepe le Pew, so that's fun.

If there's someone in politics that NEEDS a $400 haircut, it's that guy.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

All I'm saying is King Joffery would have had their heads on spikes along the White House fence

I think we can work with this...

Reminds me, I need to get caught up on this season.

edit:

Tharizdun posted:

Is it weird that I think murders and rapists should be rehabilitated and can (after years of incarceration) be safely reintegrated into society, but I think bankers should loving hang with their bodies rotting on a rope?
Most thieves and the like do so out of personal need coupled with a lack of useful skills/opportunity. Rehabilitation via support programs and education is possible.

Most bankers and wall street types routinely screw over thousands or millions of people to add to their pre-existing mountain of money. There isn't much you can do to change that.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 8, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Bassetking posted:

I really, really hope I'm just missing the irony on this post, and that if you had to pick which one of the two groups would shoot first, the ones allegedly driving up to people and aiming firearms at them are gonna be the likely triggermen.

I think the comment was less "government is more trigger happy" and more "the fringe wingnut groups ultimately lack the courage of their convictions, yet will still create an air of fear sufficient to make the government employees respond in self-preservation."

Of course, the guys brandishing weapons do have the added opportunity of the gun going off due to poor control if nothing else, so there's that.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Sword of Chomsky posted:

So when does Bernie get his blimp, and what rare earth metal does he think we should base our currency on? :colbert:

Elerium-115.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

If it's not about actual consequences, and it's not ever going to happen, then what are we even doing right now besides jerking each other off?

Standing in a circle. So there's that.

We're not going to kill bankers, but we also can't kill banks, apparently. They're people too.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Anyone else kind of disturbed by Clinton's implication that people would not be satisfied by a very extreme punishment, so clearly punishment lesser than this hyperbolic extreme shouldn't be pursued because it definitely won't satisfy people?

If this was 2009, certainly. But the notion that the financial sector could (probably literally) murder children and walk away while the DoJ shrugs their shoulders has been inculcated enough to have it not really make an impact.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

zoux posted:

It's cool the other 29,999,700 are in Nevada.

Well, assuming they made it through the militia checkpoint. I swear, guys are worse than the TSA...

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Joementum posted:

John McCain was a fan of a home run by Paul Goldschmidt at the Diamondbacks game last night.

I know McCain is alternately a decent person/spineless sack of poo poo, but the man physically cannot raise his arms above shoulder level thanks to being tortured.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Alexzandvar posted:

Not empty quoting here, I knew the doomsday bullshit was exactly that, bullshit because at least a few of the half way electable republicans were going to get primaried

Even if that figure sticks, that's a 39% chance of losing it--which is only slightly better than a coin flip. And there's six months and hundreds of millions of kochdollars to go before the election. It's not over yet by a long shot.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

There's also six months of enough feet in mouth to make the biggest foot kink blush.

But they had workshops! And consultants! Surely they'll be able to stay on message this time...

There will probably be a few eye-opening gaffes between now and November. But it remains to be seen if they'll be in the states that matter. In any case, nine-figure third-party cash is a guaranteed given. Embarrassing statements are not.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Joementum posted:

"If you like your religion, you can keep your religion." ~ Bobby Jindal on Obama's position on religious liberty.

Because when you think of religious freedom, the literal wannabe-theocrat seems like the best source.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Huh. Migraines disqualify you? Did not know that. Makes sense I guess?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Jesus, they are just dropping all the news today, aren't they?

Edit: oh god, they roll out the new executive action in climate change and carbon regulations on Monday, that new schmuck is jumping right into hell

Well, its not like they have a press secretary to manage the release :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

zoux posted:

Here this is fun. From the new trend of Christian movies with washed up actors playing the college professor antagonists who must be defeated in debate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ6bUfOVf1g

I guess those Night Court residuals dried up.

• Locked thread