Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

SnakePlissken posted:

That sounds really tasty. I'm going to try this one. Boy, do you guys know your booze.

I dranks just the white.

What the hey, since you may not view the NC threads, I got a flyer in the mail:

"Web-cam abortions" :confused: What in the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

I can appreciate that sentiment as an accurate picture of reality at the time:

:getin:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

Same way you handle other depressive issues. Its a bit easier with this stuff actually, since it isn't personal and won't start coming to a head for decades. Stay active, have a good network of family and friends, alcohol in extreme moderation, no drugs, daily exercise, plenty of sleep, eat right, use meta-thinking to recognize when you are thinking about the issue vs when you are thinking in a way that will only drive you down, and find an outlet for when you need it (eg here for this stuff).

Plus the same stuff I follow where I learn about this stuff also occssionally throw up links to people working on these issues, and ancillary benefits, like how University of Louisville applied CS and neuroscience theories of intelligence to come up with a way that lets long term paralyzed regain use of their limbs (Instant response upon activation, 4 out of 4 successful tests so far.)

U.S. Politics generally is a working educational session on how to keep informed on what is going on without losing sense of the scale being talked about. I'm half convinced that I have learned to enjoy stories of political idiocy because it serves as a catharsis to what would otherwise be soul-crushing levels of insignificance. It's easy to look at billionaires and corporations swaying politics and then look at the guy who donates $5 to a candidate from his poverty level wage and conclude that the game is irrevocably and irreparably stacked against this poor guy, and very difficult to remember that "all politics is local" and doing something, even if it's just remaining informed and discussing issues with people around you is important.

Taeke posted:

Either way I'm always reminded of a cartoon (can't remember which) where a climate change denier cries out: "But what if we've created a better world for nothing?!"

:toot: One of my all time favorites on this issue.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 11, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jagchosis posted:

Can we get a trigger warning ITT for closeups of Ted Cruz's face I'm Literally Shaking

JT Jag posted:

I just punched his face on my computer monitor and now it has a hole and my hand is all cut up

thanks Obama

:effort: The shakiness of my editing makes it look like the image of Ted Cruz is shaking in some sort of mockery of him.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

They had a cover story for the Washington Monument too: the multi-year shutdown caused by that earthquake. Apparently it takes the NWO several years to rig an obelisk with an elevator shaft going up its center to explode, but they can do the whole White House in a couple hours.

A solid cover story about the earthquake that knocked over someone's lawn chair a large distance away. :3:

e: The footage from security cameras inside the monument is scary as gently caress though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCXG9ogWdxE

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 14, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Restart the Space Race and multiply our current space funding by 10x. We must control asteroids before those drat Ruskies get their hands on them! :science:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

This was a ways back but it's really good and worth watching. Very important points made in a straightforward manner.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

tbp posted:

But without some sort of perfect benchmark for what would constitute morality one could argue it's rather subjective then can't they?

Seeing as there are multiple religions professing to have a perfect benchmark and many interpretations therein, how is it not subjective to claim Jesus is the perfect benchmark instead of Buddhism? It's fine and well to claim a perfect benchmark but the next step is to prove it, and doing that requires looking at it through our subjective worldviews to decide which one of the perfect ones is really actually perfect.

This is getting a bit divorced from U.S. politics though, maybe another thread on morality and religion would be better served to this topic. Probably one on ancaps and coercion would be nice too, though for most of us here that's ground treaded so frequently we would have it paved were it not for there being no government to make the roads. :3:

e:

absolem posted:

The non-aggression principle and property rights, etc. can be proved a priori.

Only half joking here, but it really deserves it's own thread if it's going to continue. Maybe you could lead off such a thread with your a priori proof of property rights and non-aggression in comparison to a Rawlsian view of societal organization and a question of moral desserts?

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 22, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

It was what a goon said word for word in like the first post of the Virginia Tech massacre.

Yeah pretty sure it originated here along the lines of "I'm concerned this happened, not because of the lives lost but because of the inevitable legislative response" posted 100% seriously.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pohl posted:

This is what she had to say about foodstamps, she shared it on her facebook page:

“The food stamp program is administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture," the graphic reads. "They proudly report that they distribute free meals and food stamps to over 46 million people on an annual basis."

“Meanwhile, the National Park Service, run by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us ‘please do not feed the animals.’ Their stated reason for this policy being that … the animals will grow dependent on the handouts, and then they will never learn to take care of themselves,” the post continues. “This concludes today’s lesson. Any questions?”

Well, that's one of the stated reasons. Another is that those animals then become used to human contact so they are unafraid to wander into cities where they will cause confrontations and risk injuring people who startle them when they are, for example, foraging in a dumpster next to your apartment. A consequence of not assisting these animals is that a non-zero number of them die each year to starvation.

It's a good comparison for assisting poor people if you believe we should let some of them starve to avoid the risk of them hurting us.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh look a Chuck Asay cartoon has gained the gifts of life and speech.

Bears are dicks. :colbert:

e: Whoa wait a second, why is this on her Facebook?

:psyduck: A Conservative quoting FDR positively?

e2: Wow that page is a treasure trove of terrible things,

quote:

Our Veterans Deserve Better. No one on active duty should ever "NEED" food stamps.

:airquote: NEED :airquote:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 28, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

whitey delenda est posted:

well this was just a particularly egregious example of sentiment swaying from Apocalyptic to Ecstatic within the context of one number, but as always it's up to people like me, Asinine Shitpost Man, to make a DIFFERENCE.

In political news: has this been posted in this thread? The "which administration worse" derail caused me to black out.

John Kerry wants Edward Snowden to just sack up, what are you, a pussy?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27614001

Indeed, three pages ago:

Our political structure is almost indistinguishable from a 3rd grade playground but for the massive piles of money involved.

e: How about an Onion to cheer things up on a recent topic!

quote:

ISLA VISTA, CA—In the days following a violent rampage in southern California in which a lone attacker killed seven individuals, including himself, and seriously injured over a dozen others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Tuesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said North Carolina resident Samuel Wipper, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this guy from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what he really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past five years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

Haha, what a funny article. :smithicide:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 29, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Clinton and Bush hit the strike zone, but you leave them up and center and you're right in the power hitters' wheelhouse. Sotomayor is a headhunter, Alito is way too far to the right, and Obama is too lofty.

T-Rex? I'm glad they clarified that those are extinct at least.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vahakyla posted:

Except even in the lovely South, cities have started requiring Bachelor's degrees to become an officer.

A good job, good benefits and chances for good overtime attract a lot of people. Some small and affluent communities are requiring Master's Degrees.

A Master's. To become a police officer. Let that sink in.

:cop:: "You know how fast you were going?"
:confused:: "65?"
:cop:: "How much do you know about American jurisprudence son?"
:confused:: "Not much sir."
:cop:: "Good news then, you're about to have very personal tutoring on the topic. Step out of the vehicle."

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mister Bates posted:

You're delusional if you honestly believe the wealthy or the politically powerful are ever drafted. It's nowhere near as much of an equaliser as people think.

There's a reason "Rich man's war, poor man's fight" became a saying back in the Civil War, and it poses an interesting question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yT4RZy1t3s&t=448s

Essentially a draft is 'fair' to the extent that it doesn't allow people to get exemptions by the influence of money. If you can afford to send your son or daughter to college and a poor person can't and college grants an exemption, that's not fair. If you have connections to industry leaders and so your son gets an easy shot at a munitions factory job that wouldn't be available to others, that's not fair. So long as exemptions are available that the wealthy can easily exploit that the poor cannot even a draft wouldn't change the situation.

Swan Oat posted:

Execute everyone who owns stock.

Nationalize the stock market instead. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cheekio posted:

It's so disappointing to listen to Harvard students stand up among each other and be complete idiots.

On the upside he's challenging their ideas. If any of them are ever able to think "huh, I never thought of it that way" about a lovely terrible view as a result that's a win in my book, because usually that takes years to recognize on your own if you ever recognize it.

• Locked thread