Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I wouldn't be shocked if half the country agrees with Joe the Plumber.

I don't care that there are stories about him, I'm more concerned that there are at least a hundred million American citizens like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
If the NRA didn't fight every possible solution to gun violence, maybe you'd have a point, SedanChair The father is grieving. But it doesn't make him any less wrong. Congress is so scared of the NRA and the 2nd Amendment attacks. But if we didn't have that drat (interpretation of the) 2nd Amendment, the amount of firearm deaths would be dramatically decreased.

Also, your horrible analogy has been noted, and laughed at. Cherry picking quotes and creating a random scenario isn't necessary when we can discuss the one at hand with actual information and reactions.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Cimber posted:

what legislation? Its already illegal for the mentally ill to own guns.

And despite his multiple therapists and other run-ins with the law, he still owned them. The system isn't perfect, it could be better, but people don't let it get fixed.

quote:

What if Elliot Rodgers simply kicked in the sorority's door and stalked through the house killing a couple dozen attractive women, leaving a few dozens grieving parents calling for an end to liberal interference with law abiding citizen's ability to have the means to defend themselves?

Ah yes, the "hero with the gun" fantasy. Well played, your hypothetical has won the argument!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

cheerfullydrab posted:

The discussion two pages back reminded me that my grandmother, who is still alive, had a grandfather who served in the Army of Northern Virginia the entire war. How many grandchildren of Civil War vets are still around?

How old is she, and how old were her father and grandfather when the respective child was born? I ask because I was in Antienam for Memorial Day, and the tour guide at the Field Medical Hospital said his grandfather served in one of the Pennsylvania regiments. I was trying to figure out how it would be possible, except for exceptionally long generations, or he meant his great-grandfather.

Also for commencement chat: I had Buzz Aldrin for mine. Science! Space! It was an awesome speech, and got to get my picture taken with him. Really capped off my education, getting to shake his hand. (and he didn't punch anyone, either)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

forbidden lesbian posted:

The gently caress is a DINK

Double Income, No Kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
We should pay everyone reparations, then pack up the Republic and go home.

http://pando.com/2014/05/31/paying-reparations-to-everyone-america-has-wronged-would-bankrupt-us-so-lets-do-it/

• Locked thread