Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So wait why are Republicans surging in the polls over the last two weeks? Anything in particular going on or just statistical noise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So what has been happening lately to make the GOP rise in the polls? Is this just statistical noise? Last I turned on the radio they were screaming about some new Benghazi developments but that means nothing. Are they actually getting traction with this scandal garbage? I thought the healthcare rollout was doing well, or at least well enough to not hurt polling?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

FourLeaf posted:

One of my good friends is ranting on Facebook about how the Civil War wasn't actually about slavery and how Robert E. Lee was really a cool person (because it's Confederate History Day or something?). This is really upsetting me (the perils of having white friends i guess). I don't even know what to say. So disappointing. :(

If you live outside the South don't talk politics with this person, and if that puts your relationship in jeopardy then sever?

If you live in the South my condolences

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Negative Entropy posted:

I apologize for bringing up the Bergdahl issue again, but why have POW negotiations (there are still some civs left) with the Taliban been so difficult and lop-sided? I've been trying to look into the history of the Bergdahl deal and it appears that a key part of releasing so many high-level Taliban in exchange for Bergdahl was to aid the reconciliation process. I haven't found much relating to this particular topic in the thread since people here seem to be focusing on Bergdahl's character which is irrelevant to me because you don't leave soldiers behind. I want to be able to give a strong argument against those who say that Obama is not doing enough to bring POWs back home.

The right is mostly losing their poo poo about the release of the Taliban members from what I've seen, they don't care that much about Bergdahl himself besides the usual "slander everything Obama does". Essentially they want the US to arrest every single Arab who even might be a terrorist and lock them up in secret torture prison forever. Letting even 5 of them out, for any reason at all, is unacceptable. That's the fundamental problem, and assuming the people you're talking with are true believers like it sounds, you're not going to convince them otherwise

• Locked thread