Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Magres posted:

Oh, other booze suggestion - Rum and Rootbeer, using Kraken Rum for your rum. Stuff's not super expensive and the vanilla flavoring makes it go fantastically well with Rootbeer.

Spiced rum and a really flavorful ginger beer is also excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I don't know. While reparations might play part of a moral rectification of America's historical injustice towards African-Americans, I don't think that reparations alone can resolve the racial injustices felt by African Americans today. Money cannot guarantee that African Americans will be free of racism in the future (if anything, you'd expect the opposite in the short term). And even ignoring complaints by whites that "they played no role in slavery, so why should I pay?" on account of their privilege, historical economic profiting, and the lack of bias against them, what do you do about other races? A system of reparations to African Americans necessarily begs the question as to how we should treat other races who have been harmed by the actions of whites. Do we spare them the cost of reparations? Should whites pay them reparations for the lesser (or nearly equal if not greater in the case of Native Americans) as well? (I mean, if we accept the principle of reparations, the answer to both questions is yes, but it admittedly complicates the situation to those on the fence)

There are a lot of moral complications here, but it certainly would not hurt to at least study the idea of reparations if nothing else, because even talking about it would force America to address its racial issues.

Maybe reparations won't repair the lingering effects of what? 400 years of institutional racism?, but I think the article cogently argues that they might be able to do so through various programs. In any case, there's definitely no harm in actually passing Conyer's study bill. As noted in the article, Congress studies a million different things which frequently go unread, so why shouldn't we study the possibility of reparations?

(Of course, we all know there's no way even a study bill gets passed, so gently caress it, let's get drunk)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Haha that's a load of stupid bullshit. In all cases it was the banks pushing the regulators (who were often bankers themselves) to make credit easier to obtain. Banks didn't want caution; in fact the entire synthetic derivative market is predicted on taking on more risk.

On the off chance you're not a troll, please note that you won't get far here trying to convince anyone of 1) Austrian economics 2) poor people caused the financial crisis.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I'm fine with being personally made to pay reparations because my father's family owned slaves from 1680 to 1865; even though my family lost all their land in Reconstruction and was reduced to crushing poverty I still benefit from the wealth their slaves generated.

Edit: you're still crushingly wrong about the role of subprime, and by outing yourself as an Austrian you've proven you have even less economic literacy than the average forums poster.

Mayor Dave fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 22, 2014

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

computer parts posted:

Based on the article, while there was/is definitely racially discriminatory policies at all levels and there was at least some collusion in some regional areas, it doesn't sound like it was necessarily a nationwide phenomenon.

Granted, that could be more because there was enough discrimination at one level that discrimination at other levels in a given region wasn't necessary (e.g., racist housing policies in a city keeps black people out, therefore a local white nationalist group doesn't need to develop to further keep them down).

He specifically talked about how blacks were excluded from the two major federal programs that encouraged home ownership, not to mention that redlining happened in pretty much every urban area.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
It's almost as if people don't always act rationally!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Because they're trying to persuade the people who care about the environment. Advertising is most effective when you understand the target audience and speak to their concerns.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fried Chicken posted:

Oh, and the AP is reporting Obama is close to sending in military advisors to train the Syrian rebels.

Because that has gone so well every time we've tried it in the past.

I for one am looking forward to another Vietnam.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

SubponticatePoster posted:

Also the Prophet of the Mormon Church. Guess politics really do make for strange bedfellows since your average Freeper treats Mormons maybe a half step above open Satanists.

You want another reason why the right loves Ezra Taft Benson? Dude was literally inches away from being George Wallace's VP pick in '68. He (along with a bunch of other Mormon figures like Cleon Skousen) became very influential in the John Birch Society. Strom Thurmond considered him for the Dixiecrat ticket first, but he turned that offer down. It took the continuous lobbying of the John Birch Society to get him on board with Wallace, but at the last minute the Mormon leadership told him not to run. If he had run, Mormons would have an even more shameful racial heritage than they already do.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Unzip and Attack posted:

Do the million dead in SE Asia from unnecessary bombing campaigns count as a policy outcome?

Depends. Were they white Americans?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Pead posted:

This is a really interesting interview, but the headline that Salon chose for it when you share or link it is cringeworthy.

Yeah, talk about painful. I saw that title on Facebook and my first impulse was to permanently block content from Slate.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Amergin posted:

I'm going to order the Taibbi book because my blood has been coursing too slowly and work hasn't been pissing me off enough (lie), but could someone explain to me (using the book's terms if necessary) how exactly you get from "I can't break up the company because COLLATERAL DAMAGE AND JOBS" to "I can't prosecute the CEO or heads of a company because COLLATERAL DAMAGE AND JOBS"?

CEOs and leadership are swapped around constantly, usually without huge job losses (not always, but still). The only way I see that trend is a fear of losing jobs coupled with the CEO's dick in Holder's mouth money in the gubbamint's pockets.

He argues that the fallout from prosecuting the top brass at Arthur Anderson (it collapsed the firm and 50,000 people lost their jobs) set the policy at DoJ.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

DemeaninDemon posted:

Let's just make military service a requirement to donate to campaigns then. Hell, voting too!

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Ronald = 6 letters
Wilson = 6 letters
Reagan = 6 letters

Reposting yet again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'll always remain partial to Gil Scott-Heron's take on Reagan myself (and it's worth remembering that that was his take in 1981 only just after his election)

This song is prescient. It's unbelievable that he wrote this in 81, before most of Reagan's scandals came to light. He also name-checked a bunch of people that proved to be the trouble he predicted.

• Locked thread