Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Vodka drinker here, what's the goto communist poo poo for reading about shits all hosed up and bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

SedanChair posted:

No one who benefits from racial inequality is innocent.

Oh deary me you've done it now. I can already hear Amergin typing out "Guilty of being alive while white." unironically.

As far as the discussion goes, I myself am woefully unable to comprehend what you could in the end do.

E: reading that sounds like a "too hard let's not", which it isn't. Just a sad admission of no ability to think out a means of making the repairs necessary.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 22, 2014

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

nutranurse posted:

Well it's kind of the same thing, and still an easy cop out for white people to take. Yeah it's hard to grapple with how we can dismantle white society/supremacy, but actually what is so hard about that? This something I'm asking you, goon to goon, why do you feel you are unable to contribute?

This is true, and I shouldn't lean on it to prop myself up.

As far as the actual problem goes, I have, since my own political turning tried to think of what exactly would be needed to really 'repay' as it were the huge societal deficit that actions over a several century period overshadowing the entirety of your and my nations' histories. The essay posted just above actually had even more things done in the name of white supremacy then I even already knew about, and I'm certain there are more hidden away either through secrets or consequential outcomes due to other actions.

The act of repartition itself can't be payment of debt in the usual sense either. In one measure of how to make due in the broadest sense, it should result in the harmed party being of the same status as the harmee, plus interest due on delays and time and life/lives lost without. The idea that a spectrum should result not only in blacks with the same income, wealth, education, governmental, and societal status but also payments of a kind to make due for the eons this was denied due to the actions of the guilty party. You can't even stop there, you must make sure in no uncertain circumstances it cannot begin to slide back due to the same actions in more covert methods again the debt not only being owed but unrightfully taken out against the will of the people it was and resulting in what quite frankly is an abhorrent ignorance and debasement over what amounts to gently caress all besides a prejudice over tribalism.

You could do this through direct payments, yes, but you would also need to focus on discrimination in employment, in schools both childhood and adult, in office, in business, and in law. It would require the action of thoroughly rooting out all measures or beliefs of white supremacy in any powerful or influential position in the long run. It would need to be made socially, economically, and legally untenable to be a person of these beliefs. No matter the method you undertook this would need to be the case, it in itself being the true end of the actual disease.

As far as me, I was raised in a belief that bought into the just world, that poor's deserved it, that black people / natives just needed to work harder, and more usual libertarian horseshit. After a fair amount of scorn and interaction peeling away my forcibly sheltered upbringing I abandoned these beliefs. I'm a student of engineering, understanding only basics of political science, economics or law. I supposed part of my inhibition is a recognizance of a lack of capabilities or a fear my old beliefs would come back and poison my efforts, but sitting here thinking about it and typing all this out makes me think it was a reluctance to do things not at the forefront of sorts. Too proud to actually live up to my own beliefs. So you know what, for you and myself I'll look into what exactly I can do. Here in Canada we've long had a supremacy issue with our native population and the idea of anything to do with them to most leaves them coming out with the same sort of racist bile you see toward African-Americans in the USA. So I'll ask native advocacy groups about volunteering, attempt to curb my own circle of friends's issues on these things and if necessary cut ties, do some political work for a candidate who supports these issues. Realistically you're right, its hard but isn't. Its just a matter of actually attempting what you say you believe in.

Thanks for making me self reflect here. Having to type this all out on a phone on my night shift made me sit and think things over. If you have any of your own suggestions for action besides these feel free. Its good to be called out.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

absolem posted:

Fun stuff, definitely

The rich are 100% honest innocent angels, hail Jobus Creahtoro, gently caress the poor, Ron Paul 2016.

Invaluable insight that.

• Locked thread