Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If you all are going to be despair drinking, just cut to the chase and pound away at the forties. They carry social stigma for a reason.

Any update on projections for the Senate next year? Like, are people still expecting Republicans to take the majority?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I thought flat taxes were a good idea when I was six years old. I'm glad I peaked early.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ditocoaf posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems self-evident that it's easier to retain a solid understanding of concepts than to retain 100 separate seemingly-arbitrary formulas. When I forget a formula because I haven't used it in a while, I can usually think about the concept for a minute and devise the formula from scratch.

Believe it or not, this is a remarkably rare trait. Step into a basic statistics class and it becomes very apparent.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Fried Chicken posted:

What, seriously? Let's see the stats on that, because I've done that all my life. I always assumed that's what they meant when they said "you don't really know something until you can teach it" - the ability to have the core concepts down so well you can apply many different metaphors to convey it and work from first principles to higher levels in various metaphors.

Oh, I didn't mean to say that this is something you study in statistics. I meant to say that a basic statistics class can easily demonstrate an individual's difficulty with taking abstract ideas and applying them into real formulas. I like to draw on calculating standard deviation: The principle is incredibly simple, but writing out a formula with XYZ looks opaque as hell. For me, it's simple to remember "it's the measure of, on average, how much each data point differs from the mean", and then calculate from there, but most people I've met doing stats 101 could only comprehend it in the form of a plug-and-chug formula, and subsequently get lost in seconds. It really applies to most of basic statistics: Once you understand the idea behind what you're trying to calculate, actually remembering or figuring out the formula is a snap.

I realize this is completely anecdotal, but I was in advanced/honors classes all my life, and the number of peers I tutored who got tripped up because they couldn't plug numbers into a formula was pretty staggering. :shrug:

• Locked thread