Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Magres posted:

Oh, other booze suggestion - Rum and Rootbeer, using Kraken Rum for your rum. Stuff's not super expensive and the vanilla flavoring makes it go fantastically well with Rootbeer.

Find a coconut rum and mix it with Coke for a fantastic mixed drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Y'all're lucky, drinking to forget just makes me more miserable. I can drink happily nowadays because the best candidate for the Republicans is still Jeb Bush, and they're showing signs of thinking it would be a good idea to attack Hillary Clinton over her husband's infidelity.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Wonder if the best course would be to just let my alcoholism take it as far as I want to expedite restlessness among my family? Maybe it would get even the staunchest enabler's stance to waver if things got really, really lovely.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I have to say I side with tbp here. There's a tendency in these threads to joke about killing the rich that sounds just like disjointed Freep fantasies, and goons jump to the "it was just jokes" defense. We're not in GBS, so cut it out.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The winning strategy for the Republicans is to soak up the wins from all the unholdable seats Obama helped to win 6 years ago. Going after Benghazi can only hurt them.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dahbadu posted:

1. Is anyone against this?

Just make sure it doesn't become something with multiple people involved that fails if any one of them abruptly stops contributing. That's how goon projects usually die.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

zoux posted:

You'd think that would be required reading for some intro level econ history course.

I am posting from an economics class, and the prof just said that the only economic policy practiced by governments in the 1920s was Adam Smith's classical economics. The prof is Russian.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah, so many people get to the end of high school having decided they hate math. Stop teaching rote memorization, if you don't understand WHY it works how it does, you can't use it to learn the next step.

The problem is that Common Core ends memorization far too early - kids aren't taught to memorize 7 times 9, so they don't have the tools to do basic math with paper and pencil. Canada implemented the Common Curriculum in every province except Québec, and math skills plummeted in every province except Québec. It's a perfect natural experiment that shows the Common Curriculum isn't good for teaching young students math, and it's an outrage that politicians aren't paying attention. Parts of Common Core are fatally flawed, but as Doomsayer said, the partisan division in the US makes it so that you have to be completely for it or completely against it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

zoux posted:

On the one hand, knowing your times tables is super fast and convenient but on the other hand everyone is carrying around supercomputers in their pockets.

Better not learn any math ever, then. This isn't about calculus or algebra, you are arguing that no one needs to know how to multiply single-digit numbers.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There must be some kind of privilege blindness that makes someone think it's acceptable to "give students the tools" to learn instead of simply teaching them. Sure, I had a stay-at-home parent who taught me multiplication independently, but how many children of working-class parents don't have that?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

tbp posted:

I don't think the argument should be on the basis of which is better though. The speed of it all doesn't matter much, I think, if the person understands the concept behind it. I don't think we emphasize conceptualization very well.

For something like multiplication, you need fast speed to grasp it enough to conceptualize it. It's appropriate to start teaching multiplication around grade 3 and people will use it every day of their life - it's something that you will conceptualize through experience. It's not good to expect kids to conceptualize multiplication in a classroom and then learn the times table through experience.

Warchicken posted:

Common core is a heap of stinking festering horse poo poo. I am a teacher. gently caress common core.

gently caress No Child Left Behind and the Western and Northern Canadian Protocol too :911::hf::canada:

zoux posted:

I am not strongly advocating this position, I'm fine whether they want to keep teaching times tables or they don't want to. I'm just saying it's important not to ignore current realities and keep teaching things just because of tradition.

The data from Canada already indicates that Common Curriculum learning isn't as good as older methods.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm not saying "students shouldn't know what 4 times 5 is". I'm saying that they should also understand the concept of multiplication very solidly, so that they don't just think "when you see a 4 and a 5 with an X in between them, you're supposed to write down 20". Eventually students outgrow that, sure, but that needs to happen before they're using multiplication to learn algebra.

Then when they get to early algebra, right now too many teachers just teach students the patterns to shuffle numbers around on a page, with them ending up with no idea why you're allowed to move this piece of the equation here and what that means. So it's all just an arbitrary bunch of rules and formulas with no rhyme or reason, to these kids. And then they somehow have trouble learning later algebra and trigonometry and stuff.

I hope that's not a common practice, I went to good public schools and they always taught the meaning of math concepts as well as using the memorization of important numbers. I grew up figuring out things like the price of 5 candies or how strong my Pokémon are by using multiplication. If teachers have a problem not showing their students how to use multiplication, they should do a better job of that and not stop teaching the times table altogether.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

zoux posted:

Sure in science and math classes this is a problem. Outside of these classes this is not a problem.

Again, not saying kids shouldn't learn times tables, just saying that when we look at education policy, especially given the reality of limited time and money, we need to prioritize practicality over tradition.

What practicality are you talking about that doesn't involve the multiplication table? I have no objection to teaching conceptualization to some students, but I've always found learning by algorithms and conceptualizing in my own life is the best way for me to handle math. I didn't understand linear algebra until I noticed that I could use it to solve problems in Economics 355.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oracle posted:

Stores already post a chart for what say, 20% off 19.99 is right on the clothing racks (see Kohl's, Macy's)

Not all stores, I've seen Safeway try to get away with selling a 3-pack for more than 3 times the price of one item.

zoux posted:

If that's the biggest harm you can show, it's not a very compelling case. Especially since, again, they have a device in their pocket that could do the same thing, so the only advantage here is it's saving you five seconds in the grocery store.

In 6 years, my province's math scores have plunged from the level of Japan to the level of Mexico. When those kids grow up, there'll be all kinds of harm. Being functionally innumerate is almost as bad as being functionally illiterate, even though you can buy a smartphone that does math and reads out loud.

zoux posted:

I'm talking about the practicality of drilling students in rote memorization for five months in third grade.

Common Core changes that to zero months, and it's clear that that's worse than five no matter they do with the time instead.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 15, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ditocoaf posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems self-evident that it's easier to retain a solid understanding of concepts than to retain 100 separate seemingly-arbitrary formulas. When I forget a formula because I haven't used it in a while, I can usually think about the concept for a minute and devise the formula from scratch.

Maybe it's the opposite for multiplication, because you'll use it frequently enough that hollow memorization will stick. But I still strongly feel that it's incredibly important to understand what multiplication is. You'd learn what 7 times 8 simultaneously with that. I don't see the advantage of learning it first as a series of arbitrary associations.

I learned things the other way around. My parents taught me the multiplication table from a young age and I picked up useful ways to apply it, thus conceptualizing it. Common Core has moved way too far in the opposite direction by removing the multiplication table from the curriculum, when I think it's best to have students master the times table and then show them ways to apply it like the classic method of counting objects quickly by multiplying length by width.

effectual posted:

Safeway is almost as scummy as walmart. Don't shop there.

Great plan, should I buy a car or move somewhere with another grocery store?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sword of Chomsky posted:

HFT is way beyond me, but it seems that something that has the potential to crash a group of stocks in a matter of milliseconds is a bad idea. It's probably a great idea if you want to manipulate the market though. Don't companies pay millions of dollars to co-locate servers feet away from exchanges just to have a millisecond head start on competitors bids?

As the article explains, there are rules in place to prevent orders that are the result of obvious typos, but because this stupid typo was within 25 minutes of closing the trader making the mistake was allowed to go back in time and reverse the trades.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Miltank posted:

Oh my god how i hate gunchat outside of gun thread

I'm sorry, did you miss Comes Along Bort's post? Here, I'll quote it so you can read it again:

comes along bort posted:

WHY YOU WANT RAIL FOR KALASHNIKOV? IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS PROCURED FROM IZHEVSK MECHANICAL WORKS? YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? THEN MAYBE YOU FIND JOB WITH ARMY OF RUSSIA! YOU HAVE DRINKS WITH MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, TRADE STORY OF MANY WEAPONS DESIGNED AND DETAILS OF SCHOOL FOR ENGINEERING!

OR MAYBE YOU NOT DO THIS. PROBABLY IS BECAUSE YOU NEVER DESIGN WEAPON IN WHOLE LIFE. YOU LOOK AT FINE RUSSIAN RIFLE, THINK IT NEED CRAZY poo poo STICK ON ALL SIDES OF WEAPON. YOU HAVE DISEASE OF AMERICAN CAPITALIST, CHANGE THING THAT IS FINE FOR NO REASON EXCEPT TO LOOK DIFFERENT FROM COMRADE. YOU PUT CHEAP FLASHLIGHT OF CHINESE SLAVE FACTORY ON ONE SIDE, YOU PUT BAD SCOPE OF AMERICAN MIDDLE WEST ON OTHER SIDE, YOU PUT FRONT PISTOL GRIP ON BOTTOM SO YOU ARE LIKE AMERICAN MOVIE GUY JOHN RAMBO. MAYBE YOU PUT SEX DILDO ON TOP TO gently caress YOURSELF IN rear end in a top hat FOR MAKING SHAMEFUL TRAVESTY OF RIFLE OF MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, NO?

RIFLE IS FINE. YOU gently caress IT, IT ONLY GET HEAVY AND YOU STILL NO HIT LARGEST SIDE OF BARN. GO TO FIRING RANGE, PRACTICE WITH MANY MAGAZINE OF CARTRIDGE. THEN YOU NOT NEED DUMB poo poo PUT ON SIDE OF RIFLE.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In Canada, you can't buy a gun if you say you intend to use it for home defense. Some people keep their "target practice" weapon loaded and under the pillow just in case, but we have a ban on explicitly fantasizing about shooting some burglar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Accretionist posted:

That's some [Anyone who runs, is a VC. Anyone who stands still, is a well-disciplined VC!]-poo poo Obama's got going right there.

The free-fire zone is anywhere within the blast radius of any individual on a secret list of people the US wants to kill.

• Locked thread