Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Wolfsheim posted:

Anyway, is there any truth to the impeachment rumors, or is it all just so much empty base-riling? Tell me the House isn't that crazy, yet.

All I know is that my gym had Fox News on this morning and all you could see is "The White House is to blame if the Select Committee doesn't find anything."

So, yeah, the base is already riled and depending on how they do in the mid-terms, I'd say the chances aren't that terrible that we could hear more of the talk spring up. Most of what's being said by Republican rank and file about Benghazi is conclusions, not questions. They're not even asking if the administration covered something up, they're flat out saying it.

The resolution(found here) doesn't just investigate the attacks but also "internal and public executive branch communications about the attacks on United States facilities in Benghazi, Libya on September 11, 2012;". They can keep hammering home the fact that the White House released redacted info in emails ad nauseum.

e: fixed link

edit 2: Also fun is "NOTE: The Select Committee will have a majority-minority party ratio of seven-to-five. Under the previous Democratic majority, then-Speaker Pelosi established a Select Committee with a more partisan nine-to-six ratio."

That nine to six committee? Global Warming and Energy Independence. :eng99:

Robviously fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Amergin posted:

So I guess Fox News and the GOP have graduated from asking loaded questions "Did the White House do nothing to stop Benghazi???!?!" to just making statements now.

That's sad. I always enjoyed Fox News' little murder-mystery-esque headlines.

No, no, there was still plenty of " What else is the White House hiding?!" going on. Those headlines will never go away. They're just asking questions! :smuggo:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Rubio goes to New Hampshire.

Marco Rubio posted:

"They're threatening to nominate someone now who wants to take us to the past,to an era that's gone and never coming back,"

If that's gonna be their argument, I'd like to congratulate Mrs. Clinton on her win.

Edit: phone post fixin'

Robviously fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 11, 2014

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are you saying the Republicans can't win elections if their arguments are bad?

Bad arguments are one thing, this is comically stupid. It's the equivalent of asking people if they want free money.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I know everyone loves Common Core chat but can we actually just come to terms with the fact that Common Core doesn't actually teach our kids anything?

The curriculum chosen by the schools are what actually state what is taught and how. Common Core just says that you need to teach x, y, and z concepts by certain grade levels. My mother-in-law is currently slogging through curriculum training for Common Core standards in second grade. Kids still gotta learn their times tables. They also need to understand why the numbers work. It makes sense as long as you're not trying to find a reason to hate it. She likes the standards; the curricula, on the other hand, are generally complete garbage because they don't give her the flexibility she needs to teach 25-odd second grades of various SpEd aptitudes with no paraprofessional help whatsoever.

Common Core is, in theory, great. As always the execution fucks it up because the curriculum are written by corporations. Big surprise that opponents would rather blame a set of suggestions for standards by the government than the actual meat and potatoes of what gets taught because of what system of books and tests the district decides to buy from a for-profit company with little to no input by said teachers that particular year.

In conclusion, if you're gonna get pissed off at something, get pissed off at the right something. For all everyone wants to fellate American execptionalism, people seem to run to the loving hills the minute we're actually held to standards of any sort.

Edit: Once again, Vox goes a pretty good job of explaining it all nicely.

Robviously fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 16, 2014

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Miltank posted:

It is way less creepy than the story that would result from a MJ reporter looking over the shoulder of literally anyone playing GTA.

Just because that point probably stands doesn't make it any less terrible. It's either people shooting a representation of a mother who disagrees with their views, a representation of a victim with dubious sexual assault imagery tied to it, or both. Whatever someone playing GTA does has no loving pull on how reprehensible shooting a half-naked female mannequin in that position is.

^^ e;fb

TO add to this, there's nothing wrong with shooting a mannequin. poo poo is indeed fun as hell. That does not excuse the premeditated imagery they've chosen to attach to their "fun."

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

nutranurse posted:

Wait, so what are students reading if classes are focusing on non-fiction non-narratives? What's the point of teaching English if we cut out narrative fiction? How to write for tests?

Common Core posted:

The Common Core requires certain critical content for all students, including classic myths and stories from around the world, Americas founding documents, foundational American literature, and Shakespeare. Appropriately, the remaining crucial decisions about what content should be taught are made at the state and local levels. The standards require that a portion of what is read in high school should be informational text, yet the bulk of this portion will be accounted for in non-ELA disciplines that do not frequently use fictional texts. This means that stories, drama, poetry, and other literature account for the majority of reading that students will do in their ELA classes. In addition to content coverage, the standards require that students systematically acquire knowledge in literature and other disciplines through reading, writing, speaking, and listening.

The split in K-6 is 50/50 informational text to literary text, iirc. Most people probably aren't realizing what's in the standards because informational reading isn't being taught well enough right now. Who'd have thunk..

There's even a sample reading list here! Notice that about 2/3rds of the sample texts are drama and poetry up through 4th-6th grade.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

My grandpa turned 96 this year and gives me a very interesting WWII viewpoint as he served on both sides of the fighting in the Italian Army. My grandma has stories of the Germans wrecking poo poo as they fled up north as well. Hearing what little he's shared has been really cool because I can't think of many people who would have actually gone through with it for the time he did.

I still remember during the lead up to the Iraq War, he would just shake his head and tell my brother and I about how it felt like when Mussolini went into Ethiopia after the Abyssinia Crisis; lots of show for the people for an idea that's already had its time.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

US Politics June: AA ain't got poo poo on US

Edit: In other unsurprising news, no gay groups allowed at the Texas Republican Convention.

Robviously fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 30, 2014

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Shareholders have next to no say in what happens day to day, even if they hold stock which actually allows them a vote. Not all stock does that. But let's ignore this for a second and play with a little bit of fun math.

GM, for example, issued about 697 million shares of stock a few years ago in an IPO. Say you got one share of that. Even if shareholders were actually fined, which they really aren't, you would lose less than a dollar until that fine reached over 2/3rds of a billion dollars.

Going back to the idea of actually fining shareholders, though, could someone correct me if I'm wrong in thinking that the fine actually comes out of the operating/profits of the company? Shareholders don't actually have money taken away. Theoretically, they're losing money they could be making through dividends, etc, but no actual money is taken as if you have to pay a parking ticket.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to a primetime parade of white-collar fuckers who can't be bothered to follow the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Kalman posted:

When you take money out of the operating profits, the share price tends to decline. Technically shareholders aren't paying, but in all practical senses, they are.

I'm willing to run with the argument that since share prices can rise and decline, that's part of the risk. It's part of why managing to meet profit expectations breeds this kind of grift and skirting of the law. CEOs don't actually manage the company anymore, they manage the numbers.

• Locked thread