Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Why does crazy poo poo like this so often happen in Florida? Seriously, has anyone actually studied this?

Florida is a state of migrants, from the top to the bottom. Nobody's FROM Florida. No institutions or unions or traditions reach back into that long-lost period of American stability. There is no sense of community whatsoever in this state because it's like living in a bus terminal or an airport.

Just think about how a state with such a huge percentage of elderly citizens manages to have one of the fastest population growth rates of any state in the union. It sure isn't because the oldsters are having new kids.

My contention is that Florida attracts the crazy and the desperate because it stinks of easy living and get-rich-quick. You know, maybe 15 years ago it was true that it was relatively cheap to live in Florida. Do you know how many people from the Northeast still believe that this is true, and swarm down here looking for warm weather and cheap living? Consider also that the biggest business in the state is entertainment/retail. In a nation where skilled, manufacturing, and professional jobs are evaporating, Florida is still this giant poo poo-magnet for tourists, and they need people to serve them.

So, there's one group. People desperate for a job, hoping for easier pickings in the tourist capital of the US. Then you have your old-school retire-in-Florida types. These assholes vote against every school tax, every social justice measure because they already PAID their taxes when they had kids, and they'll be god-damned if their retirement will have to go to the brats of some burger-flipper at the drive-thru. That's group two.

Florida is also a haven for Caribbean immigrants, who fight the first group for jobs. South Florida is the most immigrant-friendly area in the Eastern US, so it's no surprise that you have a huge Hispanic and Haitian population.

Finally, you have the crackers of North Florida, also known as Southern Alabama. The motherfucker who was going to burn all the Qurans, who showed the offensive movie that semi-triggered the thing in Benghazi? That shitheap of a church was right down the street from where I taught in North Florida. It is a god-damned wasteland. A church on every corner. The gun store in my town, Pickett Weaponry, sold out all of its guns and ammunition on the day after Obama was first elected. The streets were literally clogged with inbred, racist assholes who were certain that Obama would ban all guns, day 1, hour 1. I had a 7th grade girl come to school with a Confederate flag on her binder, subtitled "KILL OBAMA".

So, take those four groups of loving vultures and put them on the same shitwagon. Now that the housing bubble has burst, tell all four vultures that there's only one piece of poo poo left to eat, and tell me what happens. Nobody came here for a good reason in the first place, and now there's no good reason to stay, but they're stuck in a hell made of other people. You know, if I were a suspicious man, I wouldn't find it hard to believe that the Seminoles and other tribes who got their poo poo kicked in by that rear end in a top hat Andrew Jackson had put some kind of a curse on the state, causing it to suck people in to insanity and conflict, by way of revenge.

At least it makes for good episodes of COPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

Shageletic posted:

Don't y'all have the worst rates for pedestrian hit and runs, drunk driving deaths, and a whole heap of other awful automobile benchmarks? Doesn't seem like anyone has too good a handle on traffic over there.

Which shouldn't be surprising, considering the basic fact that nobody has anything INVESTED in this state. Nobody comes here planning to stay here, or if they do, it's because there is something very seriously wrong with them. So why should anyone really care about schools or roads or anyone else, for that matter? Everyone here, from the 80-to-dead crowd to the snowbirds to the poor job-seekers, pretty much everyone is trying to get something out of Florida and then leave. Dying is one form of leaving. I don't know if anyone can confirm, but I was warned about the "Florida Vortex", where once you've been here for a year or two, you can never escape.

So, you have a shithole where everyone hates each other, nobody has any reason to care about anything long-term, and everybody's trying to rip off everyone else. Yes, that's a definite recipe for piss-poor driving, bad schools, and ridiculously uneven application of the law. This loving state MAKES people crazy.

I don't have to mention Trayvon and Zimmerman to prove anything about the inequality under law here: I'll just take your point about traffic, and remind you that this town exists:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/09/us/hampton-florida-corruption/

It's a state of extremes, and I believe it's where the rest of the nation is currently headed too. Florida just got there first.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

USPol June:The only way to conclusively settle this matter is to make it illegal for white people to vote.

USPol June: We're all hosed anyways. Let's all vote Republican as a joke!

• Locked thread