Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

OAquinas posted:

If there's someone in politics that NEEDS a $400 haircut, it's that guy.

May very well be a $400 haircut, never underestimate this. A lot of politicians throw good money towards bad fashion sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Blankfein probably wouldn't be the top of my list, but any murdered banker would do about zero for solving finance's problems so Bill us right for once I guess.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

cafel posted:

Oh for fucks sake, she's not the Democratic candidate yet. People can express distaste for her without being accused of splitting the vote.

In the age of election predictive metrics, candidacies are set in stone years in advance.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Not to mention Blankfein is by no means deserving the top of that list besides Goldman getting off affecting being supervillains.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Wikipedia informs me that the 75th percentile household income in the US is 90k. So households that are at least at that income level are paycheck-to-paycheck (and I can find hilarious articles about people making far more in the same situation). Since a household making 20% less (72k) is surely not deprived, perhaps we should look at the capitalist system that needs constant growth and tells people to buy poo poo they don't need.

People buying too much stuff isn't the problem with the US economy.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

When I was depressed and unemployed for six months last year watching my savings evaporate because I couldnt find a position in my then field after a client acted in bad faith and left us all without work, I had never thought to consider that it was all my fault and I was a bad person for being unable to find work. Thanks, Amergin!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Mr Interweb posted:

Since we were talking about the Pope a few pages back, I did have a question that I've been wondering for a while. I'm not a Catholic, so I don't know how the Church is supposed to be run, but are Catholics supposed to follow what the Pope commands? Or is the Pope just a figurehead type person who offers suggestions and guidelines but that no one actually needs to listen to?

The pope is basically just like any other bishop (in that a priest in a position of authority) except in a few circumstances. So he's the leader of the Church so that bestows certain prominence in setting tone but it isnt like God speaks literally through him.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Watch Putin start a loving star war.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Snafe posted:

I was shown, and have read a very critical (albeit brief) review of that book, Here and if it's anything like Marx and Engels Capital, I really don't think it i'll get the time. So my question to you is, is it a decent book that builds off a centuries worth of Marxist literature, or is it just something similarly named, but in no way closely related?

I think that piece is supposed to be lampooning lazy leftist critiques of Piketty, not a critical review. I hope.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 15, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

rscott posted:

It's The Jacobin so it really is hard to tell sometimes.

It is rather odd to see leftists dismiss Piketty as just another neo-liberal as he's arguing that capitalism without intervention inevitably leads to oligarchic dystopia and wealth has such a deleterious effect on society we need something dramatic like an 80% global wealth (not just income) tax to prevent the looming Dickensian apocalypse. I guess there's no pleasing some people.

Full disclosure I still have not read Capital as I am too broke due to spending all my money on alcohol.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

AsInHowe posted:

Someone shooting up a Moms Against Guns rally at a small-town elementary school. That's what event.

Dramatic political shootings of gun control figures is the only thing that I imagine could change the paradigm over the gun debate. Once the more unstable gun collecting types start using their guns for concerted political violence and not just, "I am a crazy person, I think I shall go shoot up a kindergarten today," type incidents will people be forced to put a clamp on the issue.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

going back quite a few pages to 'where does American gun culture come from'.

Rural/frontier gun ownership is a big source of American gun culture, but if that was the big driver we'd have Canada's gun culture. I spent way too much time reading and discussing this this back in the day and my conclusion was that the terrible parts of gun culture come from slavery.

White communities in slaveholding areas were paranoid about slave uprisings and often made membership in the 'slave patrol' militias mandatory. It's easy to draw an unbroken line from 1700 to the present day where you have a particular type of white guys with guns demanding the right to shoot scary black people. There's a pretty strong argument that the whole point of the 2nd amendment was to ensure the legality of these slave patrols.

Finally and most importantly the rise of the nerds has made gun nerdery socially acceptable. Computers are to blame for everything.

Gun culture in my opinion appears to be very much a modern development. I can't really recall it being in anyway A Thing before then, at least in any way noticeably separate from other countries at the time. The NRA itself was just a glorified hunting rifle/competition shooter newsletter prior to the 1970s. However, gun ownership has always been a factor in class/status signalling in European culture so it isn't out of nowhere. But prior to the modern age you don't see a lot of people arguing it is their right to own sixteen assault riflescarbines because that is their right and they're just collectors.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The Ape of Naples posted:

All that's true but I bet they'll definitely use age against her if they have a relatively young candidate.

No GOPer relates with youth unless they are the specific group of youth already inclined to vote for republicans because they are dead inside/grr abortion.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

In a fair world I wouldn't really be opposed to impeachment over grey legal area drone strikes but the people pushing for it outside of a few non-actors are basically the same people who think the problem with Iraq is that we didn't occupy five or six more countries in the Middle East so I'm incredulous.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I know "high crimes and misdemeanors" can mean basically anything the House wants them to mean, but I still don't understand what impeachable offenses they could possibly concoct over Benghazi. At least when they impeached Clinton they had the actual crime of perjury to charge him with.

Is the first article of impeachment just going to be "BENGHAZI!!!" in all caps and including exclamation points, and nothing else? Is it going to be "misleading the American people by calling a terrorist attack an act of terror"? Or are they somehow going to hold him responsible for "letting it happen" by not bending the laws of physics to get a SEAL team there in time?

It wasn't the burglary that (would have) impeached Nixon, it was the cover up. That is what GOP operated on when they tried to nail Clinton for lying about getting a blow job. What they don't realize is that no one but House Republicans (who are all whoremongers and adulterers themselves) care enough about "perjuring" about an affair to upset the democratic system. Also Nixon was rigging the FBI and it came out that he was wiretapping political enemies and planning on blowing up the Brookings Institute, all things that Clinton doing foreplay with an intern did not lead to. In the predictable cargo cult fashion of conservatism they think if they give the impression of the same steps that led to Nixon getting impeached the same result will occur.

They will try the same thing with Benghazi after the 2014 midterms and then proceed to lose the executive (again) and a good portion of congress as a result because they're dumb.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Munkeymon posted:

While we're at it we should re-draw state borders along population lines without regard for any geographical features (other than probably watershed boundaries) and officially demote 'states' to 'administrative districts'.

No, I'm being serious.

I am 100% for this and for the abolishment of the House and Senate to be replaced with the 100,000 strong Intergalactic People's Congress of America.

Sadly you're pretty much in a post-Constitutional situation by that point so it will never happen.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

zoux posted:

This is more or less the New Hampshire House of Reps and they have pound for pound the craziest motherfuckers in government.

I was joking obviously, but dramatically increasing member ceilings for House is constitutional and should be done. Even 'just' limiting one member per 500,000 would add another extra 200 seats.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Man, I wonder how a libertarian would respond to Coates' work on reparations?

https://medium.com/p/7cde116f4eb1

quote:

Whatever the repartitions are going to be, and I suggest TRILLIONS of dollars, I am only in favor of them, if and only if, the guaranteed end result is smaller government.

The wretched sin of slavery, what blacks suffered while this country became the greatest on earth, is not a reason to end what made this country great. Libertarians didn’t do this to blacks. Government did. And in any solution, we are not going to punish Libertarians, we are going to punish Government.

The question is will TNC accept TRILLIONS in reparations as a truce between blacks and Libertarians? Are TRILLIONS of dollars enough for TNC to throw Democrats under the bus and give Libertarians a chance?

Keep on truckin, white America.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Allen West seems like the kind of psychopath who takes pictures of himself posing with a katana in front of his motor cycle. Dude is like a murderous clown.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Allen West would have fit in really well with COBRA Command.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

They just can't stop saying poo poo about rape.

Its unbelievable.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

You joke but where's Coates' article on gay reparations, hmmm? Way to betray allies, TNC. :colbert:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

One of the confusing things over the (white) gay activist outrage was that it appeared to imply that some sort of breach of allegiance on the issue had occurred between black leaders and (white) gay activists when there never was organizational solidarity to begin with in anyway that justifies the likes of Dan Savage's "I voted for Obama and THIS is how you thank me??" response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

What they don't seem to realize is that they're basically arguing that the current market system is operating on the thinnest of margins and the entire house of cards is going to come crumbling down if we do anything but pay people next to nothing and funnel it all to the top.

Which is pretty accurate! But we could still pay people $15/hr which is still next to nothing.

• Locked thread