Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Sha-na-na-night train!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Here's a pretty good rum that's sure to rile up the base:

But if you want a sugar cane based liquor that hates you as much as you hate US politics I recommend cachaça, the moonshine of rum.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Look at the calendar! It was pretty bad to be honest. Some good snack chat.

Bassetking posted:

Cachaça is the primary liquor in a Caipirinha, and there is nothing hateful about that delightful cocktail.
Caiprinhas are delicious and pleasant, but cachaça straight is a powerful adversary.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

That's basically what they do now. Google's IP is in Bermuda, and the royalties it charges the other branches are how profits get shifted offshore.
Starbucks the coffee shop does not own their own branding, they pay for license the use the Starbucks name and logo from a Dutch holding company. It lead to hilarity where their management was explaining to parliament how they are responsible contributors to the UK economy, while only filing losses.
Behold! http://youtu.be/5ItLq9wJlwU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

comes along bort posted:

Ted Cruz is more laughable than punchable to me. Eric Cantor on the other hand I have no idea how he made it to adulthood.
Part of why Cruz is so punchable is not only does he look smug, his face looks like it would accommodate a fist. Soft and pillowy.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Dramatic political shootings of gun control figures is the only thing that I imagine could change the paradigm over the gun debate. Once the more unstable gun collecting types start using their guns for concerted political violence and not just, "I am a crazy person, I think I shall go shoot up a kindergarten today," type incidents will people be forced to put a clamp on the issue.
No way. The American people have accepted that all mass shootings are isolated incidents unrelated to lax gun control. It would take armed minorities, or the homeless.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Reparations don't have to be monetary guys.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Here's an example, in 1999 a lawsuit found that between 1983 and 1997 black farmers were denied farm loans by the Department of Agriculture based on their race. Because of this, they experienced economic hardship and many lost their land and thus their livelihood. The settlement, or reparations for this was 50,000 dollars each for those involved in the class action. A check for 50,000 dollars is not a farm. It is not a permanent source of income that can be passed down in their family. No one who is seriously discussing reparations is suggesting a white person tax to give black people a one time lump payment. That is a straw-man, and yet it is what people think the term "reparations" means. Reparations for slavery, which the term originally meant, will not be an easily calculated sum of money, because to redistribute the wealth accrued from hundreds of years of free labor would require a literal blood-letting and not address the problem. Any other monetary payment would be insubstantial, and would only gently caress over future efforts. The cynic in me expects reparations to take the form of a 500 dollar check, so we can pretend all debts are settled.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

Oh deary me you've done it now. I can already hear Amergin typing out "Guilty of being alive while white." unironically.
You know what, I'll step on this land mine. Many decedents of slaves are white, are they guilty? If I'm a white immigrant to America, how much more guilty am I than someone who's family has been here longer? What about before the abolition of slavery? What about a family that actually owned slaves? Maybe, to make this problem even discuss-able we need to drop the pretense of who did what to whom and just tackle the problem as it exists now. Should blacks be locked out of the reparation process because they were the victims and not the perpetrators? Hell no. Are they responsible for solving it? Well, now we're in a pickle. So let's drop the whole whites begging forgiveness from the decedents of slaves pretense. The issue is that black people in America were not allowed to accrue wealth for most of American history. That's the problem reparations seeks to address. It's an American problem, and Americans need to solve it full stop. Laying blame and coming up with some arcane responsibility rubric is counter productive and divisive. If you want to feel bad about white supremacy, write a check to the SPLC.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 22, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

SedanChair posted:

How about the government writes a check, and you pay taxes. If you're black and rich enough to pay taxes, congratulations! You get to help.
So inadequate guilt payment. That's awfully liberal of you. Why yes Jay Z, you should pay taxes not to contribute to the public good, but to mitigate the damages of slavery and discrimination. If the reparation process is to be anything more nuanced than a transfer payment, you don't think black people should have any involvement in the process besides paying money to... themselves?

absolem posted:

No immoral activity = innocent. Buying stolen goods does not a thief make.
Actually, yes. Knowingly buying stolen goods does make you a thief.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Swan Oat posted:

Like, I have unfairly benefited from being white. I should be made to pay for this somehow. How, I don't know, but it should be rectified.
If it is merely a personal debt, figure out how much more money you have than a black person with equal qualifications and cut a check to the SPLC. There you go, all paid up. Comedy answer, go do yard work for a black dude.

Personally, I feel no guilt. I do as much as I can to fight white supremacy and help the civil rights movement, and that is a hell of a lot more then self flagellation on the internet has ever done. I think at some level, people who haven't really thought about it much or done anything just want everyone else to feel equally culpable so they don't have to lift a finger. Yes, I probably benefit from white supremacy, but no, I'm not complicit.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 22, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

Holy gently caress. Incredible.

Here is your analysis:

Step 1: Mortgages to poor people
Step 2: ?????
Step 3: Mortgages are a systemic contagion

I would write a rebuttal but your "analysis" has been rebutted by economists and financial experts about as much as "there is no anthropogenic climate change" has been by scientists so whats the point
That's what cracks me up. If the problem was poor people not paying their housing loans, nothing would have happened. People would be evicted, the bank would have the prior payments and the house. ????? indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Swan Oat posted:

I was listening to some music about how unions are cool (LF as gently caress but that is a true sentence about my life today) and it included some covers of actual old union songs from the early 20th century. There was a lot of language about slave work and not wanting to be treated like slaves; having read TNC's essay I was able to connect the dots and realize that in the context of tremendous racism from a large part of white organized labor in the US, "slave work" is a massive dog whistle. This has been my daily insight and I have posted it in this thread.
Depends. The NLU was clearly segregated, although they would allow black unions to be affiliated. The AFL hosed up badly. They tried to organize blacks mainly because of their role as scabs and labor reserve. Also, being that they only organized skilled labor you can guess how well the supported black issues. The IWW was pretty good at integration, earning the praise of W.E.B. DuBois and gaining the distinction of the only union not to charter a single segregated local. Generally speaking, yes, the labor movement was pretty poo poo to blacks. Blacks formed their own unions however, and did some very good things. Coining the phrase niggermation for one. Many labor problems either don't have a word to describe them, or the words have been forgotten so being able to identify the specific problem of speed-up by mechanization being tested on those at the bottom of the totem pole to see how much they need to dial it back to prevent unsustainable injuries is a big deal for me. I've seen it in person! Here's a good union poem/song that invokes slavery imagery however:

Deep in the gloom of the fire-filled pit
Where the Dodge rolls down the line,
We challenge the doom while dying in poo poo
While strangled by a swine....
For hours and years with sweated tears.
Trying to break our chain....
But we broke bur backs and died in packs
To find our manhood slain....
But now we stand for DRUM's at hand
To lead our freedom fight,
And now till then we'll unite like men
For now we know our might....
And drat the plantations and the whole Dodge nation....
For DRUM has dried our tears....
And now as we die we have a different cry
For now we hold our spears!
UAW is scum....
OUR THING IS DRUM!!!

This is ok, it was written by the Dodge Radical Union Movement. Also, you'll even find Frederick Douglass making allegories comparing labor struggles to slavery. It's not always a dog whistle for "we don't want to be reduced to blacks."

• Locked thread